Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Just learned that Vic attended Liberty University.

The Family Falwell continuing to spread their venom worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Like I know the whole "A man representing himself has a fool for a client" thing is what you're going for, which fair enough, seems like the normal course of action, but didn't Mignogna tried to actually search two legit law firms to represent him and in both cases the firms went "Nope!" as quickly as possible, so he basically got saddled with Beard because Mignogna is legal poison?

It gets better, too. The firms who dropped him did so because - guess what - defamation cases are extremely hard to win. Especially when you're a public figure.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/GardhamC/status/1170388949346504705

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Imagine feeling sorry for Vic

Just imagine it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Following the lawspeak and unfamiliar names as a non-law-person is very difficult, so to make sure I understand this totally :

1) Vic is a creepy molester guy at cons and at work.
2) He finally gets called out on it by people, and gets blacklisted from doing VA work.
3) He files lawsuits against the people who called him out and Funimation who blacklisted him.
4) A youtube guy who's a friend of Vic starts up a gofundme to cover legal fees, gets over $200k from easily duped people.
5) He tries to get a lawyer to represent him but all the smart ones say "gently caress NO". Instead of a smart lawyer he hires an all-talk lawyer, Ty Beard. Beard proceeds to say how even an idiot could win Vic's lawsuits.
6) The case goes to court, Ty is hilariously incompetent. Like, cartoonishly bad. Makes Futurama and Simpsons lawyers look competent in comparison.
7) Most of the charges are dismissed and everyone makes fun of how ridiculously poo poo Ty Beard is at his job. An idiot did not win that day.
8) We'll find out if any of the other charges will be dismissed or not within 30 days.
9) Because the lawsuits were meant to shut up the people calling him a molester, which is against a law called 'SLAPP', Vic is most likely(Or is it confirmed yet?) going to have to pay his accusers for trying to intimidate them into silence via lawsuits. Very likely to be the $200+k from the gofundme and more.

Did I get those details right?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've enjoyed periodically catching up on how much Vic's lawyer sucks and hope he (Vic) gets completely annihilated by the fees at the end of it all and crawls under a rock never to emerge again, but the #threadnought stuff is a little weird

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

khy posted:

Following the lawspeak and unfamiliar names as a non-law-person is very difficult, so to make sure I understand this totally :

2) He finally gets called out on it by people, and gets blacklisted from doing VA work.
3) He files lawsuits against the people who called him out and Funimation who blacklisted him.
4) A youtube guy who's a friend of Vic starts up a gofundme to cover legal fees, gets over $200k from easily duped people.
5) He tries to get a lawyer to represent him but all the smart ones say "gently caress NO". Instead of a smart lawyer he hires an all-talk lawyer, Ty Beard. Beard proceeds to say how even an idiot could win Vic's lawsuits.
6) The case goes to court, Ty is hilariously incompetent. Like, cartoonishly bad. Makes Futurama and Simpsons lawyers look competent in comparison.
7) Most of the charges are dismissed and everyone makes fun of how ridiculously poo poo Ty Beard is at his job. An idiot did not win that day.
8) We'll find out if any of the other charges will be dismissed or not within 30 days.
9) Because the lawsuits were meant to shut up the people calling him a molester, which is against a law called 'SLAPP', Vic is most likely(Or is it confirmed yet?) going to have to pay his accusers for trying to intimidate them into silence via lawsuits. Very likely to be the $200+k from the gofundme and more.

Pretty much. It's not that Vic is most likely going to have to pay the defendants' legal fees, it's just how much is the tab going to be. (Again, he's got money and his family has more, so it's no big deal for him despite protestations.)

One thing I've never been clear on myself is why he didn't go after Rooster Teeth, who also fired him and even did it first.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

khy posted:

Mostly correct. For 9, sanctions are guaranteed. What Vic is on the hook for:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1170034330741170178

It might be closer to a million than $200k, thanks to Vic's wealth.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 7, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

You did khy.

As for the fees the 9 dismissals yesterday (and the remaining 5 in 30 days should they also be dismissed) by law have to be paid by the plaintiff. Vic probably thinks that GFM will cover it but his own lawyer has likely already billed that account in full.

There is a chance that the judge awards the full amount of the GFM to the defendants as well. Under the SLAPP law, sanctions should be applied to a degree that the plaintiff won't launch another similar lawsuit.

Edit: SLAPP law, not TCPA.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 7, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

khy posted:

Yeah, just an FYI, "SLAPP stands for "strategic lawsuit against public participation" basically a lawsuit that's about getting people to shut up rather than having substantive claim. So suing someone for defamation because of true statements about how Vic is a serial sexual harasser would be a SLAPP, and Texas has very strong anti-SLAPP laws to prevent those lawsuits, and that's what puts him on the hook for the defendant's court costs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think a minor correction is that SLAPP isn't a law, it's a type of lawsuit (strategic lawsuit against public participation). Its a lawsuit with no actual legal merit meant to scare people into keeping their mouths shut when speaking out against the person initiating the lawsuit - theoretically, vic wouldn't even have to win, just by starting the suit he's making everyone else he's abused go "oh poo poo I better not speak out about my experiences, I don't have the money for a lawyer"

The anti-SLAPP motion is basically the defendants saying "look, this lawsuit is so bullshit that we shouldn't have to defend ourselves from this" and when charges are dismissed under these grounds vic has to pay the defendants their legal fees, because his legal position is so without merit that it's completely unreasonable for him to make others pay for lawyers at all (as opposed to the lawsuit getting past this and being dismissed later, at which point the court is saying "eh yeah he was in the wrong but his case had enough merit that it's not unreasonable for him to take it to court, so everyone pays their own lawyers")

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

Somewhat, though the order is a bit jumbled up. For point 2, Roosterteeth decides to drop Vic and Funimation drops him after doing an internal investigation. It's the impending legal lawsuit that he filed against his former employer Funination, his coworkers, combined with the accusations that more or less ensure that Vic is now defacto blacklisted from most major dubbing studios (too much risk involved with hiring him).

Point 5 comes before point 4-we don't know the truth as to who reached out to who first or what negotiations took place regarding the GoFundMe, but Vic agreed to taking it and retaining Ty Beard (a family friend of Nick, the guy who ran the gofundme).

And as to point 9, SLAPP stands for 'Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation', which is a lawsuit that has no merit and is used as an intimidation tactic to silence people's right to free speech, free press, etc. Vic's lawsuit is a clear as day SLAPP, and many states have 'anti-slapp' provisions in their court systems to deal with SLAPPs-Texas has the TCPA (Texas Citizens Participation Act) which is designed to strike down SLAPP lawsuits and deter future SLAPPs by making plaintiffs pay all the defendants legal fees PLUS sanctions deemed necessary on how deep the pockets of the plaintiff go.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HIJK posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

why the gently caress are you stanning so hard for Mignogna. Were you part of his fan club at one point or something because goddamn does the post make you look almost as dumb as Vic's lawyers. You say Vic is being exploited which implies he's somehow a victim in all of this when it's fairly obvious that his initial response of barely copping to anything in his long and sordid history of being a lovely person at conventions (to put it lightly) shows that he thinks that he's not in the wrong outside of getting caught. He's all in with the assholes who support him and willingly accepts their help rather than trying to engage in contrition and getting help in how to not be a lovely person and to not take advantage of any fan that comes up to him and fawns over him.

I doubt he's never been told not to do the things he did with fans unless you think he's lived in a bubble his entire life where he's told he can do whatever he likes as long as his version of God says it's okay. Remember that his bullshit has been an open secret for almost a decade so to assume that he was never, at any point, told that some of the poo poo he was doing might've not been a good idea is idiotic at best. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt after it's gone on for so long without actual repercussions.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Excellent. After reading that io9 article that talked about how creepy he was I'm glad to see that things are really going well for the defendants and that creepy-rear end molester guy is about to be creepy-rear end molester guy with significantly less money and no job prospects on the horizon.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Vicstans have found the judge's Facebook page and are bombarding it. This will surely help Vic win his case.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Vicstans have found the judge's Facebook page and are bombarding it. This will surely help Vic win his case.

Every post in this thread just gets better, doesn't it?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lol I was just going to post that. Surely going after the judge is a smart move.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1170406639343521793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Your honor, these allegations are clearly not a matter of public concern as long as you ignore my client’s fan club that’s throwing rocks at your house.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh Jesus Christ the Manfred Von Karma comparison are you loving kidding me

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Oh Jesus Christ the Manfred Von Karma comparison are you loving kidding me
do they realise vic's not the defendant yet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

do they realise vic's not the defendant yet

THEY NEVER HAVE.

It shocking how little of them seem to get that Vic is putting people on trial and not vice versa.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 7, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

One thing I've never been clear on myself is why he didn't go after Rooster Teeth, who also fired him and even did it first.

They don't make a huge deal out of it, but as of earlier this year, Rooster Teeth is a subsidiary of a subsidiary of Warner Brothers.

I'm not saying that I know for a fact that influenced Mignogna's thinking on the issue, but if you think this case was tilting at windmills, imagine bringing Ty Beard with you to a court case against a couple of WB entertainment lawyers.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh they fabricated more bs to get greg's account locked down. was wondering why he was suspiciously quiet about the judge being harassed

https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1170346934701367297

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wanderer posted:

They don't make a huge deal out of it, but as of earlier this year, Rooster Teeth is a subsidiary of a subsidiary of Warner Brothers.

I'm not saying that I know for a fact that influenced Mignogna's thinking on the issue, but if you think this case was tilting at windmills, imagine bringing Ty Beard with you to a court case against a couple of WB entertainment lawyers.
As someone who was, at one point, represented by a WB lawyer (long story short: Don't half-rear end anything regarding expenses for a recording session on someone else's dime, goons), I can second that bolded part. Since my legal jargon in English is terrible (not that it's all that better in Spanish), basically imagine that my lawyer that one time was Karen Kim from Kill Bill 2's flashback but didn't show mercy.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the fourth and final part of the pseudo-transcript is up:

https://bbfpics.blogspot.com/2019/09/worst-transcript-ever-1062019.html?m=1

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

See ANIME on Page 9B

No, I don't think I will.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1170167489109680129?s=19

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's nice when things happen the way they should.

And I like your avatar, Wark.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LOL @ "It is the law that is wrong" haha. No KF, it's OK to call a man who has a loving 30 year history of attempting to molest underage girls a pedophile. You guys really picked a loving winner to stan here. Maybe next time pick someone without a storied history of what you say they didn't do.

For those following along at home, the vicstans are claiming that all 30 years of Vic's documented molestation are a conspiracy because <reason missing> even before he was Ed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SoftNum posted:

LOL @ "It is the law that is wrong" haha. No KF, it's OK to call a man who has a loving 30 year history of attempting to molest underage girls a pedophile. You guys really picked a loving winner to stan here. Maybe next time pick someone without a storied history of what you say they didn't do.

For those following along at home, the vicstans are claiming that all 30 years of Vic's documented molestation are a conspiracy because <reason missing> even before he was Ed.

Because he is a white male christian, the most persecuted minority of all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

4chan's cosplay board is ostensibly full of women. As far as a decade ago there were multiple threads called Vic horror stories ever detailed what a creep he was. It's sad as hell that it took this long for him to be black listed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so turns out fasttracking the transcript was more than lawtwitter expected ($1170) so after polling they sent in the official request two hours then, and setup a gofundme 20m ago

it's probably hit the goal by the time i've posted this (gofundme is updating quite slowly), any extra goes to RAINN: https://www.gofundme.com/f/threadnought-percys-implosion

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Already up to a grand! Nice!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

and done, the transcript was already pending but that's the costs covered

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Yup it's funded.

These dumb Vic stans are attacking the judges facebook, that's a smart way to win ain't it.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Monaghan posted:

4chan's cosplay board is ostensibly full of women. As far as a decade ago there were multiple threads called Vic horror stories ever detailed what a creep he was. It's sad as hell that it took this long for him to be black listed.

I've seen posts on various forums over the years pretty much saying if you're a male fan, stay away because Vic will just ignore you, and give all his attention to young girls.

Like, when this all blew up this year my reaction was "oh, finally".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I checked, and Times v. Sullivan is :

quote:

The case originated in early 1960 when The New York Times published a full-page advertisement by supporters of Martin Luther King Jr., entitled "Heed Their Rising Voices", that criticized the police in Montgomery, Alabama, for their mistreatment of civil rights protesters.[5] The advertisement had a number of factual inaccuracies, such as the number of times King had been arrested during the protests, what song the protesters had sung, and whether or not students had been expelled for participating.[5] In response, Montgomery police commissioner L. B. Sullivan sued the Times in the local county court for defamation.[5] The judge ruled the advertisement's inaccuracies were defamatory per se, and the jury returned a verdict in favor of Sullivan with $500,000 in damages.[5] The Times appealed the verdict to the Supreme Court of Alabama, which affirmed it. It then appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which agreed to hear the case and ordered certiorari.

In March 1964, the Court issued a unanimous 9–0 decision holding that the verdict violated the First Amendment. The decision defended free reporting of the civil rights campaigns in the southern United States. It is one of the key decisions supporting the freedom of the press. Before this decision, there were nearly $300 million in libel actions from the southern states outstanding against news organizations, as part of a focused effort by southern officials to use defamation lawsuits as a means of preventing critical coverage of civil rights issues in out-of-state publications.[6][7] The Supreme Court's decision, and its adoption of the actual malice standard, reduced the financial exposure from potential defamation claims, and thus frustrated the efforts of public officials to use these claims to suppress political criticism.[6][7]

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Somewhere in all of this didn’t a related party release those inappropriate “outtakes” from Funimation as a form of retaliation?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

fritz posted:

I checked, and Times v. Sullivan is :

It's a huge trumper thing cause trump doesn't like the fact that people can say bad things about him.

EDIT: Yeah the Funimation leak thing was caught up in this too but IDK why anyone thinks it has bearing on this trial. Funimation being a terrible place doesn't mean that their statements or more or less libelous.

It's like the Vicstans don't actually know how law works or what's actually on trial here.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Somewhere in all of this didn’t a related party release those inappropriate “outtakes” from Funimation as a form of retaliation?

Yeah, Nick obtained them from an undisclosed source (probably a former funimation employee) and was trying to cause a shitstorm over it to get the #cancel crowd to attack Funimation, the VAs, and try to get Toei Animation mad at Sony and Funimation. (As well as to cover the the abysmal response to the TCPAs Ty wrote that was due the very next day :ssh: ) As you can imagine, none of that really panned out.