Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Don't lose faith, some of them are not that dumb

Obviously GoonFUD- where's his spacesuit?

Edit- taxxe:

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

quote:

This is my favourite image from the commercial. It just shows how far we’ve come. The gas clouds outside the window, the perfect lighting setting the mood inside the ship with small candles on the table. The animations which are so good, just look at how the woman turns, looks down for a split second and then up again, it looks so real and fantastic. The narration and music in this scene also hits it out of the park. It just brings emotion.

I have absolute faith after this scene and commercial that S42 is going to be so special and the PU in the future is gonna be something else. 7 years ago I backed and it’s been a long road so far, one I’ve enjoyed almost every step of the way, and this 890 commercial showed me how far we’ve come. It almost brought me to tears.

Does someone have the heart to tell that guy that none of that is actual in game footage? At best its using parts of the engine and assets to make a FMV, worst case they just rendered the lot without even using any part of the engine.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Here's a walk down memory lane - an original genuine RSI forum [Concern] thread from 2013...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14892/concern-game-complexity-detail-vs-alpha-release-nov-2014

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Does someone have the heart to tell that guy that none of that is actual in game footage? At best its using parts of the engine and assets to make a FMV, worst case they just rendered the lot without even using any part of the engine.

It won't be me cutting the rope that guy's dangling from. Not once, but twice, he said "how far we've come." Commando, there is no "we." There is "Chris Roberts", the scammer, and "you", the scammed. You're watching a fake commercial from a fake game company advertising a fake ship showing a fake lifestyle that you'd be wildly unsuited for even if it were all real.

This has been going on for years now and that paragraph might be the most depressing thing I've ever read, and it's ten times as depressing because the guy who wrote it genuinely wouldn't understand what's wrong with what he wrote. This is sad turtles all the way down.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Fronts posted:

Here's a walk down memory lane - an original genuine RSI forum [Concern] thread from 2013...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14892/concern-game-complexity-detail-vs-alpha-release-nov-2014

But but... the backers voted for the game to be delayed indefinitely! Its not CIG's fault!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

It is shown on screen therefore it can be done. That's the magic of software development!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Mr Fronts posted:

:five:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Anticheese posted:

Here's to another few thousand pages of amazing drama!

Is it really though? By this point the whole thing stalling perpetually has me look upon any drama as stale, like an old genital wart.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kellanved posted:

New thread, not a SCAM anymore!

Anything new happen with space-court in the last few months?

Space court is still on. Crytek got new lawyers, filed a $500,000 bond with the state (because they’re an out of state corporation who presumably can’t be trusted not to skip out on paying CI not-G’s award if they lose; this is actually not that unusual), and iirc discovery is happening.

Also, did you miss the Forbes article? Because that was a treat.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

On the other hand

quote:

This is my favourite image from the commercial. It just shows how far we’ve come. The gas clouds outside the window, the perfect lighting setting the mood inside the ship with small candles on the table. The animations which are so good, just look at how the woman turns, looks down for a split second and then up again, it looks so real and fantastic. The narration and music in this scene also hits it out of the park. It just brings emotion.

I have absolute faith after this scene and commercial that S42 is going to be so special and the PU in the future is gonna be something else. 7 years ago I backed and it’s been a long road so far, one I’ve enjoyed almost every step of the way, and this 890 commercial showed me how far we’ve come. It almost brought me to tears.

Jeez... is that the best that CIG can do for promo shots now? The era where they were just photoshopping poo poo into random New Zealand photos was pretty bad, but this just looks like something out of Second Life.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

MedicineHut posted:

Hold on, all those design documents were intextricably linked to a specific ship or high profile sale item. Mining ships, e-war ships, farming ships, etc Are the moneys CIG got also never to return to the backers who pledge them due to these design documents hype? Is CIG offering refunds for those? No? I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

No, everything will be as promised in Tier 4 or 5.

Be patient, development has only just begun. They are certainly not purging all traces of their big promises.

Also, what are you talking about, show me proof they ever promised complex workflows for mining ships, news reporters, etc? You can't, can you, you goon fudster

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AlbieQuirky posted:

Also, did you miss the Forbes article? Because that was a treat.

quote:

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.

“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.” After three months, the restraining order was dissolved. Today, Roberts says he cannot recall signing the declaration and that what is ascribed to him in the court filings was prepared by Peterson and false. Despite the documentation, Gardiner flatly denies the incidents took place.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, after all the crazy poo poo revolving around her during the entirety of this decade, but still...JFC. :stonk:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
tane

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrazyLoon posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised, after all the crazy poo poo revolving around her during the entirety of this decade, but still...JFC. :stonk:

> “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.”

He then married her and made her Chief Marketing Officer of his company.

Perfectly rational thing to do with someone who isn't emotionally stable.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/EricKieronDavis/status/1170188253569277952

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

The reduced blood flow to the brain due to multiple strangulation attempts can lead to brain damage.

This being the only rational reasoning behind him remarrying and making her a C level officer in the corp that I can accept.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

monkeytek posted:

The reduced blood flow to the brain due to multiple strangulation attempts can lead to brain damage.

This being the only rational reasoning behind him remarrying and making her a C level officer in the corp that I can accept.

Clearly caused permanent memory loss, since he later claims he never said that and that it was all his ex-wife's doing - how dare she be scared for herself and her daughter?!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Agony Aunt posted:

Ms. Management

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
"Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship"

This reminded me of Eric Peterson, aka Wingman. Did Descent ever release or was the curse of Chris too strong?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At least they know they are whales to be milked. They are happier than a pig in poo poo with those ships

Rap Three Times posted:

"Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship"

This reminded me of Eric Peterson, aka Wingman. Did Descent ever release or was the curse of Chris too strong?

quote:

In early May 2019, Descendent Studios' homepage was taken offline and multiplayer servers for game builds stopped responding. No official statement has been made from either the developer or publisher concerning the status of the game's development or online support.[citation needed] Unofficial posts by a developer from Descendent Studios indicated that all development on the game had been completely halted, this being due to financial and legal issues that developed between Descendent Studios and the publisher Little Orbit. The original posts were deleted, but YouTuber Montoya documented the posts and history of the development woes in a video uploaded to his channel. [14]

too strong.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
lmao @ Montoya. Is that what he's up to now? Documenting the failures of others, while still zealously defending CIGs?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

CrazyLoon posted:

lmao @ Montoya. Is that what he's up to now? Documenting the failures of others, while still zealously defending CIGs?

Yes

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Via the frontier forums:

Star Citizen Live: All About Development

quote:

Q: ...the servers are kind of at capacity now and we can't add any more larger locations until we have server side OCS. We currently see Microtech on the 3.8 map but not server side OCS. Why is that?

quote:

A: We can consider maybe content swaps if we wanted to add in a new area and take something out to account for them.

Just :lol: if they start removing planets to add new ones

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

Lmao

quote:

Posted: January 2013

I think the alpha is slated for Nov 2013, actual launch in 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Mr Fronts posted:

"Also as stated in previous threads with concerns to the deadline and how much work they are doing, they ARENT building the game from the ground up. They arent making a game engine from scratch and most of the assets and components are already in place. So far weve just seen a few ship designs, but that doesnt take into account what ELSE is already going on in the background."

:shrug:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Right now the reddit is back in "only positive thinking allowed", lol. They only had to get lied directly and shown a commercial to change their minds.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pixelate posted:

Via the frontier forums:

Star Citizen Live: All About Development

Just :lol: if they start removing planets to add new ones

Look they promised 100 systems....but not at the same time. Checkmate. FUD Goons.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Drunk Theory posted:

Look they promised 100 systems....but not at the same time. Checkmate. FUD Goons.

Did they ever specify they were in-game star systems? Because if not, LMAO at Tier-0 systems like mining and bartender AI being the aforementioned 100 systems.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Right now the reddit is back in "only positive thinking allowed", lol. They only had to get lied directly and shown a commercial to change their minds.

The hand on the tiller has been really evident this last week:

* The biggest of the big whales were mollified by their literal actual 300 dollar microwaved-potato dinner with Chris. The dumb minelayer ship opened up a new "Tactical" conversation among the idiots who still think this game has an actual design document, and a new big thing to buy if you want to P2W.

* The big "Come to Jesus" conversation video where the developers admitted (indirectly) that they suck at everything, and they need to change the roadmap yet again, scrapping virtually every milestone and goal they had set for themselves through the end of next year. This was extremely cathartic for the angry citizens who want to believe- look, the company can be honest with us, even though their honesty reveals their total incompetence at every aspect of development! It was also the final straw for a bunch of fence sitters, who are now just gone. Another wave of customers driven off and yet their funding never drops.

* The 3.6.1.7 or whatever patch was released from the PTU to the PU, which means virtually nothing because the only thing that was in it was a ship that costs 1000 actual dollars. Every other feature including in-game ship rentals was cut, but the excitement of having a new thing you can buy will overwhelm the remaining Citizens for a couple of days.

* The hype for the big ship was turned up to eleven. Ironically you are going to see a lot fewer organic posts about it now, because on the PTU everyone who logged in could try it, and from now on it will be restricted to buyers, and nobody who plays the game bought one of these loving things because it's a gold plated turd. But that doesn't matter on the subreddit- what matters is the level of hype and testimonials and "Architect reviews" and RP firefight re-enactments and video after video after video about how many spaceships your strained and red-rimmed ship hangar can possibly have crammed into it. Then they hit them with a commercial- amazing! Wow! Never been done before!

I don't think this momentary high is going to last. It's the thrill of dropping a bajillion dollars on a big purchase, but regret is going to set in faster and faster. This thing is useless, you can't even fly it in-game without racking up unbelievable expenses. The game itself has made zero progress in the last 9 months except new spaceships, and they just turned around and promised that it won't make any progress in the next 9 months, either. Citizens always lose their minds over new spaceships but I think they're building up a tolerance- small poo poo like the rocket truck doesn't phase them anymore. The minelayer was met with a big wave of derision at first. They had to do a one-two punch of the biggest ship they've released so far, and the annual apology tour video, and I still think we'll be back to anger before Citizencon in November.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

skeletors_condom posted:

But there are times when the citizens really make me lose faith in humanity. :saddowns:

I still haven't ruled out the possibility that Star Citizen is a brilliant ARG designed to make me feel like an unmedicated schizophrenic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ladies, Gentlemen, and boat. I present to you, the great Vertisce by F. Scott Fitzgeparp

quote:

And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Vertisce's’s wonder when he first picked out the white 890 Jump at the end of Port Olisar. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the 'verse, where the dark fields of development rolled on under the night.

Vertisce believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter—to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning——

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 7, 2019

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

For the most open game developer of all time they are seemingly doing a lot of stuff behind closed doors.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

trucutru posted:

All the gameplay stuff has been delayed again, but don't fret 'cuz

The BEST drat SPACE SIMULATOR EVER is here guyz.

Hey, hon? HON? Hey, I - yeah, it’s about Star Citizen, but listen! You can pick fruit in Star Citizen now! I know you like to do that in that Animal Crossing game you play, so now you can do it in Star Citizen! I went ahead and signed you up for an account and bought you a couple ships just to start off. Think of it as our investment!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Prop Wash posted:

Hey, hon? HON? Hey, I - yeah, it’s about Star Citizen, but listen! You can pick fruit in Star Citizen now! I know you like to do that in that Animal Crossing game you play, so now you can do it in Star Citizen! I went ahead and signed you up for an account and bought you a couple ships just to start off. Think of it as our investment!

Oldie but goodie:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sandweed posted:

For the most open game developer of all time they are seemingly doing a lot of stuff behind closed doors.
you mean behind the garage door opener and some wood

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
>insert nice Star Citizen sunset pic here< new user/low karma

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Drunk Theory posted:

Yes, but then there was a forum poll, see, and the scope expanded exponentially, so the systems got contracted and their number got reduced, because this makes sense somehow.

And a true Store Citizen does not worry for any of this, because all of Skyrim can fit in a moon's crater.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Badnewsbaron got back into Star Citizen after realizing nobody will watch him play anything else.
(That's not my interpreting, he literally says this in the opening minutes of his broadcast)
:ohdear:

Guess asking your girlfriend to marry you on the stage of the Star Citizen annual convention while preaching to the choir about your future long-term dedication to Star Citizen might pigeon-hole you a bit....

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

boviscopophobic posted:

Oldie but goodie:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

Starloop.txt