Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

kater posted:

Are all the built-in tells Arena has good or bad? I don't play counterspells so its not like I've seen them many times, but they just added visuals to check lands this last patch and I unno it seems a bit much. Not that I haven't been not paying attention before and screwed up.

Are you talking about the phases halting if you have something to play vs when you don't? If I have a instant or something I try to mash pass after the last thing I want to do for the turn resolves (like after combat) so it doesn't halt.

Elsewise, in one way I hate that there's a highlight if you, say, look at someones graveyard. On the other hand when the other person is playing I'll just go through their graveyard randomly. If I don't have a graveyard-targeting spell then I hope they keep thinking I do. Or instead if I do have a graveyard-targeting spell then maybe they'll just think I'm an idiot for looking a lot (which is kind of true). I do also highlight random cards in play a lot but mostly because I'm not familiar with them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arglebargle III posted:

I like the knight that does the same thing as dusk legion zealot but for 4 mana.

a 1/1 that trades for anything is a little different from a 1/1 that trades for nothing

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

The Sean posted:

Are you talking about the phases halting if you have something to play vs when you don't? If I have a instant or something I try to mash pass after the last thing I want to do for the turn resolves (like after combat) so it doesn't halt.

Elsewise, in one way I hate that there's a highlight if you, say, look at someones graveyard. On the other hand when the other person is playing I'll just go through their graveyard randomly. If I don't have a graveyard-targeting spell then I hope they keep thinking I do. Or instead if I do have a graveyard-targeting spell then maybe they'll just think I'm an idiot for looking a lot (which is kind of true). I do also highlight random cards in play a lot but mostly because I'm not familiar with them at all.

The highlighting I don't mind since it mirrors paper magic where you can't read cards or check graveyards/handsize without your opponent knowing that that is info you want for some reason. The auto passing is the annoying one but you can always fuss with full control there if it seems likely to matter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a 1/1 that trades for anything is a little different from a 1/1 that trades for nothing

mods???

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

starkebn posted:

the knight deck is easily the worst of the four

The commander is just not very good and too slow, especially in what is meant to be an aggro deck.

To get any value from him you need equipment and creatures that can attack, but if you can't attack profitably then you're really just drawing cards to replace stuff that died uselessly. Also the draw isn't even free, you pay life for it. And you can't stack all your equipment on one attacker, that only draws one. Meanwhile chulane is coming out a turn earlier and tags a growth spiral on every creature spell for free without risking anything. I don't think gwyn is going to see much play.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It also hurts immensely that you can nail the A+ aggro draw, except you didn't, because you have three tap lands. So you have a commander that needs ramp with like 2 ramp cards and an aggro creature base with lands that clunk it up. Oh and they cut two knights for shivan dragon and mask of immolation, so there's even less knights in the deck.

I don't think we'll see much Gwyn unless they replace the 5 planeswalker deck slots in the mastery pass with the 4 brawl precon commanders and the 2 PWer deck walkers, except that would make sense so that's not gonna happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are all PWs fair game for commander in Brawl

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah Gwyn is noticeably worse...all the decks need more removal but his especially because his deck can't do poo poo once the flyer deck gets some flyers out.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

zoux posted:

Are all PWs fair game for commander in Brawl

Yeah. You're still locked into the commander colors though, so if you pick big chandra you still have to have a mono red deck.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
As of now yes. They can restrict cards from being commanders if they wind up problematic though.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I tried all 4 commanders and Chulane is the most fun for me

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Isn’t Syr Gwyn a woman?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah one thing people should consider when thinking about upcoming Brawl is how narrow the card pool becomes with a mono or dual color commander. Four sets are rotating out and take a lot of pieces with them.

vegetables posted:

Isn’t Syr Gwyn a woman?
The art depicton is feminine and Gwyn is a female name, yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Esper faerie commander + all the artifact enablers in M20 sounds pretty fun to me.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The flavor texts indicates that Gwyn is female.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Nissa as a brawl commander will be pretty spicy I feel

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Nissa as a brawl commander will be pretty spicy I feel

5 mana and mono colored. Barf.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

God. I really wish there was a Wow! emote. It would be nice to compliment people at times, but right now I have gone 8 turns with the fairy deck without being able to play anything.

And it's also dumb that there's no explanation of how the new format works

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 7, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

5 mana and mono colored. Barf.

Are there enough mana dorks in the format to guarantee a t3 nissa? Because not a lot of decks can handle endless 3/3's.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Drewjitsu posted:

Are there enough mana dorks in the format to guarantee a t3 nissa? Because not a lot of decks can handle endless 3/3's.

How do you even get a t3 nissa post rotation?

e: like arboreal grazer t1 into t2 dork? What else is there?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Dr. Stab posted:

Gilded goose!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah seriously take any mono colored walker, set it to singleton and then turn off the four sets rotating out. Obviously there's going to be some new stuff but card quality drops like a rock. Mono green probably needs to wrangle some kronches.

Also the stupid leyline + any 2 drop ramp.

If the format has free mulligans gonna be kinda lol for that actually.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's also saruli caretaker. So you'd have 3 outs to get the t1 and then each of them has different caveats. Grazer needs the extra land, and saruli caretaker needs a 1 mana creature. Both saruli caretaker and gilded goose need the t2 ramp to cost 2 mana and not 3.

It wasn't "guaranteed" with 4x llanowar elves. It definitely won't be anywhere close in brawl.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

No idea, I totally didn't even think about what mana dorks are going to be in standard post rotation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Make lots of food tokens and bring them to life with Karn and whatever else turns things into artifact creatures! RAWR, I smash you with a giant walking pie!

EDIT: I love "Bake into a Pie". It's legit one of the silliest black cards I've ever seen.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Make lots of food tokens and bring them to life with Karn and whatever else turns things into artifact creatures! RAWR, I smash you with a giant walking pie!

EDIT: I love "Bake into a Pie". It's legit one of the silliest black cards I've ever seen.

Sillier than making a giant formless (non-indestructible) godbeing walk the plank to its death? (or a flying creature?)

I mean, you'd have to have a pretty good kitchen to get some of the more esoteric things out there, but it's not impossible. You don't know, they could be big Heston Blumenthal fans. :colbert:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

The art depicton is feminine and Gwyn is a female name, yes.

The coolest Gwyn of all time is a dude.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drewjitsu posted:

Sillier than making a giant formless (non-indestructible) godbeing walk the plank to its death? (or a flying creature?)

I mean, you'd have to have a pretty good kitchen to get some of the more esoteric things out there, but it's not impossible. You don't know, they could be big Heston Blumenthal fans. :colbert:

Step 1: Have leyline of anticipation
Step 2: Cast Frogify on Gideon Blackblade on opponent's turn
Step 3: Cast Bake into a Pie on frogified Gideon

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

fadam posted:

https://twitter.com/JLIENnnn/status/1094782202129207296

:wrong:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

fadam posted:

wtf does that mean?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

Wouldn't that be hottest? I wonder if that's the reference, it's a bit on the nose.

Also apparently it is a common male name I've never encountered before. Apologies to all the Gwyns out there.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

The first pw revealed for Eldrane is already exactly this!

The food turns into elves though which says something awful about elves I feel.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Sean posted:

wtf does that mean?

It means that Gwyn isn’t exclusively a ladies name, pal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kater posted:

Elks, not Elfs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kater posted:

Better scans read Elk. Rowdy young bucks, I assume.

Also all three walkers from the set proper are really cool designs, even without dipping back into the passive space, gonna be fun to play around with them.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

fadam posted:

It means that Gwyn isn’t exclusively a ladies name, pal.

Nah, you didn't mean it's not exclusively a woman's name. You specifically said the best Gwyn ever was a man. I'm flashing back now to the last thread where you had to defend yourself to multiple people that you're not alt right and I mentioned that your avatar looked like a white male mass murderer. I didn't even say that you were but for ~some reason~ that hit a nerve.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 7, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ya'll want to freak the gently caress out?

Gwen and Gwyn are the same name

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo do we really need to argue about the gender politics of medieval Welsh names?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently it's a relatively common real life name of both genders so there's not really any argument going on

fadam is just talking about Dark Souls I think?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gwen and Gwyn are the same name
Yeah that was my misreading, I thought it was just an alternate spelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

The Sean posted:

Nah, you didn't mean it's not exclusively a woman's name. You specifically said the best Gwyn ever was a man. I'm flashing back now to the last thread where you had to defend yourself to multiple people that you're not alt right and I mentioned that your avatar looked like a white male mass murderer. I didn't even say that you were but for ~some reason~ that hit a nerve.

lmao where did this come from :allears:

keep goin