Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, me and my group are no strangers to puzzles. We've done a bunch of escape rooms around our city and one of my friends (the guy who is still gung ho about doing env X the right way) literally built one in his empty apartment before he vacated it. The problem is it's frankly a pretty badly designed puzzle.

Our initial instinct was just to wait for more clues to come to us because none of them outside of envelope X really guide you on where you're supposed to even start to look. We actually had the opposite problem of you DontMock where we got env X last after getting 4 or 5 other ciphers, so we would never have even thought to start looking elsewhere. I actually haven't even told my group about that part yet so I am curious if they will be able to suss it out next time we get together (I basically only told them our passive approach of waiting for more clues wouldn't work and we should have enough to solve it already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My group has multiple PhD's and one in mathematics and we thought the puzzle was dumb as poo poo. We like puzzles. This one just sucks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

My group has multiple PhD's and one in mathematics and we thought the puzzle was dumb as poo poo. We like puzzles. This one just sucks.

Our group hasn't completed it yet but we feel like it's a chore more than a puzzle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey so the class three spears has a card Scroll of Recall with a bottom ability that is ranged target 3 pull 1. It doesn't specify enemies or allies, and I know that other pull/push abilities usually specify whether they effect enemies or allies or both

So can this ability be used to pull allies? I'm not sure. The rulebook says that the card should specify which targets are valid when the pull isn't part of an attack, but of course this one doesn't.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Hey so the class three spears has a card Scroll of Recall with a bottom ability that is ranged target 3 pull 1. It doesn't specify enemies or allies, and I know that other pull/push abilities usually specify whether they effect enemies or allies or both

So can this ability be used to pull allies? I'm not sure. The rulebook says that the card should specify which targets are valid when the pull isn't part of an attack, but of course this one doesn't.
An ability must specify "allies" to be used on allies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

An ability must specify "allies" to be used on allies.

What if an ability just had Heal X Range Y on it, without specifying allies?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That card has a bottom action?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

QuarkJets posted:

What if an ability just had Heal X Range Y on it, without specifying allies?

Heal has to be used on allies (and Attack has to be used on enemies).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reik posted:

Yes; at low levels it's a nice bit of battlefield control, letting you simultaneously spring traps and line up targets right before your group dumps a bunch of aoe damage. The top action is why you bring it but sometimes the bottom is just what you want

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Heal has to be used on allies (and Attack has to be used on enemies).

Heal doesn't have to be used on allies, though. You are explicitly not your own ally, and you can heal yourself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Heal doesn't have to be used on allies, though. You are explicitly not your own ally, and you can heal yourself.

I should have just copy/pasted the bit from the manual, that was a dumb oversight on my behalf.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Yes and it's amazing in rare niche situations. My wife once killed 3 enemies with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you see traps in a room and aren't like "yay, traps!" then you're playing wrong cause knocking things into traps is the most enjoyable part of this game

the scoundrel is the worst starter class because of its ability to disarm traps

the craigheart is the best starter class because of how it can use obstacles as though they were traps (Sort of)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I did 18 damage, killing two archers, with a move 3 push 2 all adjacent allies bottom half. Traps rule.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

QuarkJets posted:

If you see traps in a room and aren't like "yay, traps!" then you're playing wrong cause knocking things into traps is the most enjoyable part of this game

Or, shocking thought, you're playing a class that doesn't get forced movement.

There are lots.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Or, shocking thought, you're playing a class that doesn't get forced movement.

There are lots.

You're right, some of the classes in this game are simply worse than others

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You're right, some of the classes in this game are simply worse than others

I mean that's certainly an opinion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lol at the X stuff. We just shrugged and assumed that other clues would come and had no intention to hunt around

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I did 18 damage, killing two archers, with a move 3 push 2 all adjacent allies bottom half. Traps rule.

How did you deal damage to enemies by pushing allies into traps? I don't understand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Because it's enemies and I typed wrong, sorry. Not as impressive. I have an excuse but it's too long to fit in this post.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That reminds me that I never did find an official answer on whether you can complete Personal Quest 516 Kill 15 Vermings by pushing the Mindthief to his her death in fifteen scenarios.

edit: Sorry, her death.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 7, 2019

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

NRVNQSR posted:

That reminds me that I never did find an official answer on whether you can complete Personal Quest 516 Kill 15 Vermings by pushing the Mindthief to his death in fifteen scenarios.

I'll allow it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

That reminds me that I never did find an official answer on whether you can complete Personal Quest 516 Kill 15 Vermings by pushing the Mindthief to his death in fifteen scenarios.

Strictly speaking heroes don't die, they exhaust, so no, but honestly, I'd be cool with it if the Mindtheif player was.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

QuarkJets posted:

the scoundrel is the worst starter class because of its ability to disarm traps

the craigheart is the best starter class because of how it can use obstacles as though they were traps (Sort of)

Counter point (I'm assuming this isn't a spoiler cause it's a base class and anyone could just grab it and look at this), but the scoundrel at like level 5-7 somewhere in there gets the ability to throw traps and it's amazing and hilarious.

Why yes my scoundrel did just pick up a damage-stun spike pit and throw it at a monster. No I don't know how it makes any sense but it's awesome!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol that sounds awesome i take back what i said

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I forget which scenario (no spoilers cause I don't remember it well enough to spoil if I even tried),but there was some shenanigans where we had to do just insane amounts of true damage to a bunch of monsters. I don't think they had a high shield, I think it was something else. Anyway it was in this room just teeming with traps and the three spears just kept handing me back that card every round so, well, I kept playing it. It was just this absolutely absurd thing where we were all cracking up it just turned into me hucking 9 damage traps around because it seemed like the best way at the time.

I don't know if we actually did it right, but it was amazing at the time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1154802293067304961

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

In a vacuum, I don't mind Envelope X. The lovely part was putting it at the end of a personal quest rather than literally anywhere else, because it's an anticipation killer. Both of the campaigns I've played in someone picked that personal quest on their first character through not knowing any better.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah my last game I just took them out of the pool.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I should have done that but I didn't think lightning would strike twice, and the player's now going 'well I've drawn it so I'll get it done then just pick another starting class'. Which is fair enough, I guess, but not the best ever outcome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We've started revealing our personal quests to each other so that we can choose missions, at least after a given character has gotten a few levels. We went vermling hunting and someone in the group was sitting at 13/15 for watching people get exhausted. He's 14/15 now, after the spellweaver got exhausted and I was at 1hp with a wound and no cards in hand 2 in discard when I killed the last enemy and completed the mission. :dukedog:.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

If you want to be slightly spoiled on lightning bolt: Um. Well. Got some bad news for you, friend.

To follow up on this, we had two people retiring at the same time; I opened up lightning bolts, noped out pretty quickly and let the other guy take it (his quest didn't unlock a new character). I went with Tinkerer instead. That looks like a much nicer change of style!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My secondary campaign is good times. This week we had my Lightning Bolts and another guy's 3 Spears run their first scenario with Circles and Music Note. Of course these dolts want to do 72. I was more confident than last time but it went about the same because enemy RNG is a thing. Especially in that scenario. Anyway we had fun but we all exhausted which caused Circles to retire and open Saw. Music Note unlocked a personal quest scenario that we will probably do next session.

We're all a tiny bit salty at our Music Note player. He said he was going to play double songs with disadvantage and healing but chickened out on the second song because he was afraid of how fast he would exhaust. And then he ended up being the last to exhaust. And that healing song would have helped the rest of us so much by just clearing poison.

My first group is playing tonight and we're nearing the end of the main campaign. We want to see what Forgotten Circles is all about. There's a lot more stuff in the box than we expected.

They really don't like the stamina potion nerf and we haven't played with them yet but I got them to agree to switch when we start FC. I think we'll be fine.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 9, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Re music note: I feel like for double songs to work you need to be diligent about putting them into discard on rest, and since that means you'll be replaying songs a lot you should probably have the solo scenario item. Very far from impossible, just it does reduce some options.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Has anyone had any luck with Unstable Upheaval + Warhammer on Cragheart? It seems pretty dope and I'm about to pick up Rock Slide so I don't know how useful a Piercing Bow is gonna be.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Re music note: I feel like for double songs to work you need to be diligent about putting them into discard on rest, and since that means you'll be replaying songs a lot you should probably have the solo scenario item. Very far from impossible, just it does reduce some options.

Music Note:

This is absolutely true. It's also worth noting that because most songs are absurdly fast then you can still keep 100% uptime on them for your party and still keep the benefits of stretching out your rests by selectively discarding them.

The only problem with the two song plan is that Melody and Harmony's bottom is super good. Well, that and the running out of cards sooner thing.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Trasson posted:

Music Note:

This is absolutely true. It's also worth noting that because most songs are absurdly fast then you can still keep 100% uptime on them for your party and still keep the benefits of stretching out your rests by selectively discarding them.

The only problem with the two song plan is that Melody and Harmony's bottom is super good. Well, that and the running out of cards sooner thing.

Music note/saw: Just add saw to the party and music notes problem with exhausting early is taken care of.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Spikes32 posted:

Music note/saw: Just add saw to the party and music notes problem with exhausting early is taken care of.

Music Note, Saw, and Prosperity 6 items:

Medkits would have been amazing when I played Soothsinger, but I made do with a Pendant of Dark Pacts on Minor/Major Stamina Potions. Ten cards recovered from discard over the course of a map more than paid for Melody and Harmony. I never even noticed the Curses, which is funny because I spent 90% of that character's career thinking the PoDP gave two of them, not one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Has anyone had any luck with Unstable Upheaval + Warhammer on Cragheart? It seems pretty dope and I'm about to pick up Rock Slide so I don't know how useful a Piercing Bow is gonna be.
Oh yeah, it's basically a time-walk + damage. "Okay everyone, you get another free round while every monster in this room does nothing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

It's fun but I would suggest just saving the gold to put Curse on Dirt Tornado and spam it.