Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After a decade it's probably time for a new thread for people to post wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread, and this is that... thread.

This can lead into a little, limited discussion within the thread itself, or might require a simple, straightforward answer and nothing else! If a question is generating a lot of discussion, might I suggest moving it over to the appropriate Wrestling Promotion Discussion Thread where possible.

In addition to relying on the completely unbiased and forward thinking minds of Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro, here are some resources for answering questions you might have:

The Internet Wrestling Database - "an ongoing project to create an online, interactive professional wrestling database"
CageMatch - Massive Database on Wrestlers, full of statistics
Online World of Wrestling - The former Obsessed with Wrestling, an incredibly useful and jampacked with information website.
Wikipedia The place to find out all about events featuring professional wrestling matches with outcomes predetermined by script writers; the matches feature wrestlers portraying their characters in planned storylines that took place before, during and after the event.
Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Online - The most popular and (largely) well-regarded Wrestling Journalism site, run by Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez - full of information on news stories, opinions, podcasts, newsletters, match results etc.
The Top Rated Matches of all time as rated by Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Pro-Wrestling Torch - The biggest Wrestling Journalism site next to the Observer, run by Wade Keller - full of information on news stories, opinions, podcasts, newsletters, match results etc.
Punch Sport Pagoda's Matches of the Year - An ongoing tally of the best (and worst) matches of the current year as nominated by the users of this forum. Links in OP to the MOTY threads for every previous year.

Places to watch wrestling:

American Promotions:
The WWE Network - The WWE Network in the United States is currently on NBC's streaming network Peacock in March of 2021. A Peacock Subscription comes in two tiers, one with ads (cheap) and one without (more expensive). Raw currently airs on USA Network at 8pm EST on Mondays, but will be moving to Netflix in 2025. NXT airs for two hours on Tuesday at 8pm EST on USA but will be moving to the CW network in October of 2024. Smackdown airs for two hours on Friday at 8pm EST on Fox, but will be moving to USA Network in October of 2024.
All Elite Wrestling - The clear #2 promotion in the world, with big money and big stars involved, AEW Dynamite airs on TNT on Wednesdays for two hours from 8pm EST, AEW Rampage airs on TBS on Fridays for one hour from 10pm EST, and AEW Collision airs on TNT on Saturdays for two hours from 8pm EST (the latter ended the free Youtube shows AEW Dark and Dark Elevation). Currently PPVs have been offered in the US on Bleacher Report (very expensive) and on AEW+ on Fite (now called Triller) in the rest of the world (much cheaper). Outside of the US you can access the weekly Dynamite and Rampage shows live as they air (and then on VOD) for $8 a month on Fite/Triller. Gavok has a new 2024 version of their tremendous AEW Primer thread if you want to know more about the promotion.
Ring of Honor's Honor Club - Now owned by AEW's Tony Khan, the entire archive of former Ring of Honor shows as well as weekly Thursday airings of new show tapings are available for $9.99 a month. Livestreams of PPVs are offered through fite.tv.
TNA Wrestling - The former TNA Wrestling is now the former Impact Wrestling, back to it's old (terrible) name. All of TNA can be watched on TNA+
Game Changer Wrestling - PPVs available through Fite/Triller+, produces live shows that people really enjoy.
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - No current live service or video uploads, the only way to watch is to buy DVDs directly from them. Has an extremely dedicated fanbase and is highly regarded for the quality of its live shows. Highspots' new streaming site apparently has old PWG shows available, but files are unorganized and can only be located via search (thanks to Rapt0rCharles9231 for the info), and costs $15 USD a month.
Chikaratopia - Chikara shut-down due to allegations in the #SpeakingOut movement over owner Mike Quackenbush. Archives can still be accessed via an independentwrestling.tv subscription.
National Wrestling Alliance - Recently running PPVs again, more info to come.
Major League Wrestling - Available live through BeIN Sports, and regular uploads are made to their Youtube channel

Japanese Promotions:
New Japan World - Currently 1298Yen a month, includes livestreams of most shows (shows not being livesteamed is the exception, not the rule) and significant archives going back decades. Most shows are available with English commentary as an option. Be aware that in Japan, billing cycles start on the 1st of the month, regardless of how late in the prior month you signed up, so it is possible to be billed for two months within only a couple of days of each other depending on when you signed up.
Wrestle Universe - 1298Yen a month after March 22, 2024, DDT is a comedy-centric Japanese wrestling promotion that also has very, very good matches. Universe also includes Pro-Wrestling NOAH, DDT's sister promotion Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling, Ganbare Pro, Sendai Girls, and some events from ZERO1 and Michinoku Pro Wrestling.
Pro-Wrestling Noah - Now owned by DDT's parent company, and shows are available on their online service Wrestle Universe.
All Japan Pro-Wrestling TV - Currently 900Yen a month, airs major events live and has VOD going back to 2017, but none of the incredible 1990s All Japan content, which is owned by NIPPON TV. Most of those, which aren't currently legally available for purchase anywhere, can be found here.
Dragon Gate - Currently 1500Yen a month, includes livestreams and VOD of the entire archive.
Gatoh Move ChocoPro - Uploads via their Youtube channel.
Big Japan Pro-Wrestling Core - Currently 888Yen a month, noted for its Deathmatch style wrestling. Provides livestreams and VOD.

Japanese Women's Promotions (Joshi):
Stardom World - Currently 920Yen a month. All shows are VOD only, but come with English subtitles and are broken down into individual matches for viewing convenience. Addendum OCT 17, 2019: New Japan's Parent Company BushiRoad now owns Stardom. At the current time there are no plans for Stardom World to change up how anything is run.
Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling - Included with a Wrestle Universe subscription.
Sendai Girls - Shows now included with a Wrestle Universe subscription.
Marvelous - Currently 600Yen a month.
Pro Wrestling Diana - Intermittent uploads to their Youtube channel.
YMZ - Currently 999Yen a month.

Mexican Promotions:
AAA - Airs live on twitch, in Spanish and also with English language versions available. All TV shows and match tapings are aired on the 24/7 stream, with live airings happening at 9:30pm EST on Friday nights.
CMLL - Regular uploads of shows to their Youtube channel. Schedule is as follows: Mondays Arena Puebla - 10 PM ET, Tuesdays Arena México B Show - 8:30 PM ET, Fridays Viernes Espectacular Arena México A Show - 9:30 PM ET

UK/European Promotions:
Progress - British Wrestling Promotion, $7.99 a month.
Over the Top - Irish Wrestling Promotion, $8.50 a month.
WXW Now - German Wrestling Promotion, 9.99Euro a month.

Independent Promotions:
Various Independent Promotions can be found here. A number are also available via Fite/Triller+.

The above lists are not exhaustive/definitive, and I can add or update anything more pertinent to them if people ask.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
who shot Dino Bravo?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

who shot Dino Bravo?

Probably the mafia.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How big is Batista's dick

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Has anyone here gone to a 3-2-1 Battle! show in Seattle and if so what's the parking situation like if you're coming in from out of town?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just found out that the dude who played Luca Brasi in the Godfather was a wrestler (and possibly also a for real made man). Anyone know anything about him or his prograps career?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I just found out that the dude who played Luca Brasi in the Godfather was a wrestler (and possibly also a for real made man). Anyone know anything about him or his prograps career?

seems like the perfect guy to kill Dino Bravo

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

PublicOpinion posted:

Has anyone here gone to a 3-2-1 Battle! show in Seattle and if so what's the parking situation like if you're coming in from out of town?

On a related note: how do I watch 3-2-1 Battle! online?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So we all know the Reign of Terror was pretty bad in terms of booking overall, but in that whole sequence, what were the best matches Triple H had during that reign? Is there, indeed, anything really salvageable out of it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what wrestler hates fuggin the most?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The old thread is almost certainly the oldest thread I still followed on SA. It's a little sad to see it end.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

bladeworksmaster posted:

So we all know the Reign of Terror was pretty bad in terms of booking overall, but in that whole sequence, what were the best matches Triple H had during that reign? Is there, indeed, anything really salvageable out of it?

Big Dave has him with four matches above four stars from 2002-2004:

vs. HBK & Benoit, WrestleMania 20 & Backlash
vs HBK on 12/29/03 Raw
vs HBK at SummerSlam 2002

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Punch McLightning posted:

Big Dave has him with four matches above four stars from 2002-2004:

vs. HBK & Benoit, WrestleMania 20 & Backlash
vs HBK on 12/29/03 Raw
vs HBK at SummerSlam 2002

Was Summerslam the big circlejerk match those two had, or am I thinking of another match? I swear there was one him and HBK had around that time which was a total slog.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I have a Big Van Vader related question. Is Big his first name, or is "Big Van" his nickname and Vader his name?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Was Summerslam the big circlejerk match those two had, or am I thinking of another match? I swear there was one him and HBK had around that time which was a total slog.

Nah that was Bad Blood in a Hell in a Cell. HHH Epic at its worst.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Summerslam 2002 was HBK's return and was pretty good IMO. Their Hell in a Cell match in Bad Blood 2004 was the one that felt like a slog.

E: remusclaw :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated the OP to be a little more structured, and added in some extra promotions Punch McLightning posted in the old thread. Thanks Punch :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have a Big Van Vader related question. Is Big his first name, or is "Big Van" his nickname and Vader his name?

His name is the space between "Big" and "Van", and the "BigVan Vader" surrounding it is decorative symbols that look like letters

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What happened to that big WWE story Dave and Bryan said was probably going to leak over the weekend? They said it was NXT on USA big, and was a bad thing, and that it would inevitably get out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

His full name is "Big" Leon van Vader. Shortened to just his surname Van Vader, naturally.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Were the hardcore matches done by the old ECW ever as violent as CZW and their Tournament of Death?

And do we really need to start a new thread?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Updated the OP to be a little more structured, and added in some extra promotions Punch McLightning posted in the old thread. Thanks Punch :)

I would add the ClassicsPuro83 channel that has a lot of All Japan's legendary 90s matches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC3W4w7DWwbHUZdEGoO-TSKA?videos

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

who shot Dino Bravo?

He had links to the mafia and was allegedly involved in cigarette smuggling, so it's likely he just crossed the wrong people and got killed over it.

Gaz-L posted:

A quick lookup indicates he had midcard success in the NWA during the 50s and early 60s mostly in tag teams, and was involved in storylines involving the likes of Gene Kiniski, Ray Gunkel, Eddie Sharkey, Eddie Graham. He got passed over to be Gorilla Monsoon's partner and shifted more into acting while also getting involved in the mob (he did NOT kill Dino Bravo) before The Godfather made him in demand as a heavy on tv and he was basically done with wrestling.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

The Batista vs HHH HIAC match was pretty good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

How much of the 80's UWF is actually out on Video? Kinda of want to see some the stuff that forced All Japan and New Japan into clean finishes

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Not sure where to see older UWF, but this channel has a whole lot of mid 1990's UWF featuring BigVan Vader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCPdm0fZtzlXs4fQIZda_uew?featured

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just have a few questions:

1. How come Vince never pushed Adam Bomb? The guy had a decent look, and he was no worse in the ring than plenty of guys who Vince had pushed.

2. Who is the most famous WWE wrestler without a Wrestlemania appearance? It’s gotta be Kamala right?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

1. How come Vince never pushed Adam Bomb? The guy had a decent look, and he was no worse in the ring than plenty of guys who Vince had pushed.
He was pushed pretty hard for the first year of his run. He had a face turn, but shortly after that happened it seemed like Vince was done with him.

For the other question, the answer is likely someone who either didn’t primarily work in the US or was too old by Mania. I’m trying to think of who’d fit while avoiding those groups. Maybe Kenny Omega at this point? Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody also come to mind.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 8, 2019

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Punch McLightning posted:

On a related note: how do I watch 3-2-1 Battle! online?

https://www.twitch.tv/321battle
They stream live and it looks like the archives don't require a subscription or anything, but I'm not sure where you might see things further back than what twitch archives. I've only watched one show so far but I think I'll try and keep up going forward, it was pretty fun. Production values ain't the highest but they do have more than one camera so I've put up with worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CopywrightMMXI posted:

2. Who is the most famous WWE wrestler without a Wrestlemania appearance? It’s gotta be Kamala right?
Ah, Bryan Clark. After washing out of Blood Runs Cold with everybody else in that angle, WCW did the same thing. He got a Goldberg/Ryback beat-a-bunch-of-jobbers push as Wrath for a hot minute and then Nash squashed him to prove he could end a winning streak on his way to Goldberg. Nothing happened after that until Kronik with a backwards k at the end, and even that was meh and then Undertaker said he was the shits and that was that forever.

I only remember him cutting one promo and it was okay.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

My friends run it!

Downtown Seattle is hard to park in so just keep that in mind

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

1. That era sucked, and the gimmicks sucked. As much as I liked Duke The Dumpster Droese’s look, he was doomed too.

2. Hakushi? Nope - Superstar Billy Graham.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Kamala was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at 17.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

2. Hakushi? Nope - Superstar Billy Graham.

Graham was Muraco's manager at 4.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Kamala was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at 17.

How much does dis guy weigh?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4k_PCsQ_mw

What was up with Tazz's commentary in this match? Why is he claiming that Jeff and Matt's last name is Goldstein and that they're from Bangor Maine? Skip to about the 5:00 minute mark for the first reference.

Also not a question but a statement - the Mean Street Posse loving ruled

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is Mr. Perfect the closest a surprise Rumble entrant ever got to actually winning it? he was in like the last three, right?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Low Desert Punk posted:

is Mr. Perfect the closest a surprise Rumble entrant ever got to actually winning it? he was in like the last three, right?

2008 Cena

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Ivan Putski, Dick Slater, and Professor Toru Tanaka are my guesses.

Edit:

Zeus? Ludvig Borga?

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This is a super fun question to try and nail down. It has to be someone from the 70s/80s who never quite made that leap into the Mania era.

Maybe Tony Atlas?