Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, 2008 Cena and 2010 Edge.

I wouldn't even really count Mr. Perfect as a surprise entrant. They went into the show making a medium-sized deal out of the fact that Perfect, Goldust, Val Venis and Godfather would be showing up. It's even in the show's intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is a super fun question to try and nail down. It has to be someone from the 70s/80s who never quite made that leap into the Mania era.

Maybe Tony Atlas?

Battle Royal with NFL players at 2.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Battle Royal with NFL players at 2.

drat! I did a quick Google for him + WrestleMania and didn't see anything at first glance.

Edit: Coming back to this - Ken Patera, Steve Williams, Brian Pillman, Bobo Brazil? Maybe Bruno Sammartino if you don't count him managing his son at WM 1.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 8, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Downtown Seattle is hard to park in so just keep that in mind
HOW DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS WHEN YOU LIVED HERE?!!!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
did bruce prichard ever actually work a match that wasn't a battle royal? I was watching the gimmick battle royal and he does worked stomps and elbows and punches and they look surprisingly good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like he had three singles matches in 1992 against James Beard for the Global Wrestling Federation, one of which was a boxing rules match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

HOW DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS WHEN YOU LIVED HERE?!!!
I quoted the wrong post. Whoops.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hi J-Ru, can you add the CMLL time slots to the YouTube link?

Mondays - Arena Puebla - 10 PM ET

Tuesdays Arena México B Show - 8:30 PM ET

Fridays- Viernes Espectacular- Arena México A Show - 9:30 PM ET

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Done!

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Might be good to mention tjpw as a joshi promotion on ddt universe

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Which wrestler can make the biggest fart?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Might be good to mention tjpw as a joshi promotion on ddt universe

Done, I hadn't actually been aware of that so thank you!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

kelly kelly

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

what is everyone's single favorite chop? not chop sequence, one chop

From last thread but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5GgFA_8bw

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

quote:

what is everyone's single favorite chop? not chop sequence, one chop

I've never even seen this match but the sound on it is just beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ghrTfUPrdI

I know for a fact that the loudest one i've ever heard was in a Suzuki match but I can't for the life of me remember what it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t025fmkPY4c

Willie Mack more like Willie Smack.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
is there anyone stronger than roderick strong?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Seams posted:

is there anyone stronger than roderick strong?

Have you witnessed the power of Roman Reigns?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kamala was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at 17.

Dammit I forgot about that one. Kamala was legendary amongst my friends and I as a kid. His original WWF run had ended by the time anyone started watching wrestling but we all knew who he was due to the LJN toy line. He was never on the old PPVs though so none of us actually saw him until he returned in 1992.

Ivan Putski, Dick Slater, and Professor Toru Tanaka are my guesses.

Edit:

Zeus? Ludvig Borga?

I was thinking more "wrestlemania era" when I asked this but those are good answers. I still can't believe Zeus was scheduled to headline at one point.

Ganso Bomb posted:

drat! I did a quick Google for him + WrestleMania and didn't see anything at first glance.

Edit: Coming back to this - Ken Patera, Steve Williams, Brian Pillman, Bobo Brazil? Maybe Bruno Sammartino if you don't count him managing his son at WM 1.

These are all good answers too. I'm surprised Patera didn't make it in an early battle royal.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had it in my head that Bruno was in the battle royal with the NFL guys too.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shine posted:

Have you witnessed the power of Roman Reigns?

Have your witnessed his hurricarana?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is there an effort post somewhere on how/why Inoki almost destroyed NJPW?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicity posted:

Not an effort post, but from what I understand, he was concerned about the rise of MMA in Japan, and wanted to have his guys prove how tough they were... in shoot fights against MMA guys.

It went about as well as you think it would.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

Were the hardcore matches done by the old ECW ever as violent as CZW and their Tournament of Death?

And do we really need to start a new thread?

ECW rarely got into proper death match territory, just a lot of plunder and walk & brawls. There was the Taipei Death Match between Axl & Ian Rotten where they each had taped fists covered in broken glass. A handful of barbed wire matches, light tubes weren't really a thing until Big Japan later in the '90s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had it in my head that Bruno was in the battle royal with the NFL guys too.

He was.

The Wild Samoans never wrestled at Mania, and Sika had made a brief comeback in the mid-80s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Helicity posted:

Do you have an Observer subscription because Dave's 1996(?) G1 article details the history of the promotion and how Inoki's corruption almost destroyed the promotion in the 80s.

OH! You meant when he almost destroyed it in the aughts.

I don't think there is so here are the big points.

First he double crossed Hashimoto in a match Hashimoto absolutely needed to win. Hashimoto was arguably their biggest star, and definitely their biggest healthy star as Chono and Mutoh were both in physical decline. (Mutoh would reinvent himself and have one last great in ring year a bit later.) Hashimoto left and formed Zero One. After this you started seeing the overuse of guys who were perceived as shooters, putting stars in shoot fights and other weird calls like bringing in Chyna.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 8, 2019

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Why was The Crow Sting so cool and will there ever be a dark 90's grunge gimmick as cool as that again? (the kind of 90s dark grunge gimmick where the wrestler never utters a word, but has magical powers that allow him/her/they to appear behind their enemy from a puff of smoke or burst through the center of the ring with a baseball bat, or maybe transform themselves from a gross sweaty ringside fan to cool dark 90s face painted freak a la a magician's trick?)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think it was against most fire codes for Andre The Giant to fart indoors

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah if you believe that Andre drank even half the beer he’s purported to have had, he was ripping some big ones

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Why was The Crow Sting so cool and will there ever be a dark 90's grunge gimmick as cool as that again? (the kind of 90s dark grunge gimmick where the wrestler never utters a word, but has magical powers that allow him/her/they to appear behind their enemy from a puff of smoke or burst through the center of the ring with a baseball bat, or maybe transform themselves from a gross sweaty ringside fan to cool dark 90s face painted freak a la a magician's trick?)

What I've seen of Jeff Hardy as Willow in TNA is a bit like this. I don't know for sure though, because what I've seen also looked really horrible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Do you have an Observer subscription because Dave's 1996(?) G1 article details the history of the promotion and how Inoki's corruption almost destroyed the promotion in the 80s.

OH! You meant when he almost destroyed it in the aughts.

I don't think there is so here are the big points.

First he double crossed Hashimoto in a match Hashimoto absolutely needed to win. Hashimoto was arguably their biggest star, and definitely their biggest healthy star as Chono and Mutoh were both in physical decline. (Mutoh would reinvent himself and have one last great in ring year a bit later.) Hashimoto left and formed Zero One. After this you started seeing the overuse of guys who were perceived as shooters, putting stars in shoot fights and other weird calls like bringing in Chyna.
Puro in 2000 must have seemed like exciting times, what with both top rival promotions getting massive roster overhauls and starting to work with one another.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody explain these stories in greater detail for me?

What was the deal with Suigi planting drugs on Io Shirai and her boyfriend (??) and how was AAA involved?

What happened in the fight between TARU and Super Hate which lead to Voodoo Murders being disbanded?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

He was.

The Wild Samoans never wrestled at Mania, and Sika had made a brief comeback in the mid-80s.

Sika was in the battle royal at WreatleMania IV

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody explain these stories in greater detail for me?

What was the deal with Suigi planting drugs on Io Shirai and her boyfriend (??) and how was AAA involved?

That was a simple one. The dude who was the Japanese liason for AAA had a grudge with Nosawa for some reason or other, he promised Sugi a contract extension if he planted the weed, and Shirai just happened to be travelling with Nosawa as they were in a relationship at the time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

Has anyone here gone to a 3-2-1 Battle! show in Seattle and if so what's the parking situation like if you're coming in from out of town?

Their shows have two locations. One is in a gym which has no parking lot itself but is near a lot of places - including a church - where you might be able to park. The other is a bar close enough to Pike Place Market that you can use the parking garages there. That's my guesses anyway, I don't drive here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TTBF posted:

I don't drive here.
Nobody drives here! There's too much traffic!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Helicity posted:

There's a video effort post on YouTube about Lesnar's njpw run, and the first half of the video is about Inoki's weird insistence on mixing mma with pro wrestling. For instance, insisting on having Hashimoto do a shoot fight but not telling him about it. Imagine Vince just feeding Roman to a legit MMA guy without even telling him it's a shoot.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hellblazer187 posted:

There's a video effort post on YouTube about Lesnar's njpw run, and the first half of the video is about Inoki's weird insistence on mixing mma with pro wrestling. For instance, insisting on having Hashimoto do a shoot fight but not telling him about it. Imagine Vince just feeding Roman to a legit MMA guy without even telling him it's a shoot.

Man if the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was Brock legit shooting on Roman with Roman completely in the dark that would've been quite the spectacle.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

Man if the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was Brock legit shooting on Roman with Roman completely in the dark that would've been quite the spectacle.

I suppose it's not a great comparison because I don't think Roman has actually been that much of a draw for WWE. Hashimoto was one of their top guys and the move of having him just get beaten to a bloody pulp by a nobody MMA fighter supposedly hurt his drawing power big time. I'm on mobile and don't feel like searching for the mini documentary on YouTube, but it should be easy enough to find.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAU3kOv8UV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hashimoto/Ogawa probably did more harm to New Japan than Nagata/Crocop even though that harm wasn't noticeable at first