Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

my experience has been the opposite. faceid is slow as hell

it starts out slow and gets better with usage, because it has to refine the depth map or whatever

right now faceid is fast enough that it unlocks before i know it was locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't use it for the phone unlock so maybe that's the problem. I use it for like apple ipay and stuff like that where you have to wait for it to finish the face id animation.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

why do you use ipay? it’s terrible

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

shaggar did you get the Apple Card as well??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

I don't use it for the phone unlock so maybe that's the problem. I use it for like apple ipay and stuff like that where you have to wait for it to finish the face id animation.

yeah so you have used it like five times, ever, and it never improved in speed

the animation only plays as long as it needs, so i rarely see more than like, two frames

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

its faster than chip

akadajet posted:

shaggar did you get the Apple Card as well??

of course not. I have a prime card.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah so you have used it like five times, ever, and it never improved in speed

the animation only plays as long as it needs, so i rarely see more than like, two frames

I use it probably a dozen times per day because its also used for login for a bunch of apps and for loading saved passwords.

its slow and doesn't work well. I think touch id would have been better.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i like touchid better. face id doesnt work 90% of the time when im laying in bed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m gonna miss Touch ID

easier to unlock when driving :banjo:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vintersorg posted:

I’m gonna miss Touch ID

easier to unlock when driving :banjo:

why would you need to unlock while driving

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

switch google music radio station

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a better idea: don't touch your phone when you're driving

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

it's great for those of us who live in backwards america. i do recognize the rest of the civilized world doesn't have much use for it

in any case, i agree that faceid generally unlocks quick enough. and i can use it while wearing gloves, which is useful in the winter.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at you face fuckers I definitely prefer finger loving

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Stymie posted:

here's a better idea: don't touch your phone when you're driving

lol at expecting drivers to have any self-control. cars ruin people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pram posted:

i like touchid better. face id doesnt work 90% of the time when im laying in bed

this is one of those times where if they did a full bar for the sensors itd be better because the ipad pro 11 can unlock my navel gazing face fine when im bedputing but my phonell fumble the unlock at least once

echinopsis posted:

lmao at you face fuckers I definitely prefer finger loving

yeah i eat apple

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i simply don’t want my phone to look at me. i am ashamed at my appearance, i don’t need tim cook also feeling embarrassed for me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

my stepdads beer posted:

lol at expecting drivers to have any self-control. cars ruin people.
please don’t quote stymie.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

face id on my xr is really fast and works well. by the time the screen comes to full brightness it's already unlocked and it even works with my wrap-around polarized sunglasses. touch id seemed to take longer and had a much higher failure rate

the only time it fails is when i'm in full winter gear with my face almost completely covered. ofc in those situations i'm also wearing gloves, so touch id wouldn't be any better

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

The_Franz posted:

face id on my xr is really fast and works well. by the time the screen comes to full brightness it's already unlocked and it even works with my wrap-around polarized sunglasses. touch id seemed to take longer and had a much higher failure rate

the only time it fails is when i'm in full winter gear with my face almost completely covered. ofc in those situations i'm also wearing gloves, so touch id wouldn't be any better

also against the sun it's kind of hit or miss

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

go play outside Skyler posted:

also against the sun it's kind of hit or miss

You shouldn't be buying that garbage paper anyways.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I’ve had it fail approximately twice since November 2017... both times were after shaving from Unabomber level down to a more shaven face.

it took twice as long or hesitated.

first had the X, then XS and also now the iPad too. iPad is definitely more able to handle strange angles though.

Apple Pay is definitely more awkward though vs Touch ID method, the only case I would agree touch is best but Timmy just wants you to purchase the Apple Watch for this convenience; he’s not running a charity!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
with Apple pay you can double click it in front of your face and the lower it to the reader. it's pretty fast and smooth for me at least.

I also have issues with faceid lying in bed though.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Everyone ready for Tim's show'n'tell? I wonder if they'll do a Jahny retrospective/thank-you thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the only issue ive had with it for apple pay is some small shops i go to ill be talking to the owners about something and its weird to break away suddenly to authenticate but thats more of a social thing

the watch feel weirder to try to hold my wrist upside down over a square reader but it works

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Switzerland posted:

Everyone ready for Tim's show'n'tell? I wonder if they'll do a Jahny retrospective/thank-you thing

sire jony ive 1992-2019

*jonys picture sits in a black room*

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agile Vector posted:

the only issue ive had with it for apple pay is some small shops i go to ill be talking to the owners about something and its weird to break away suddenly to authenticate but thats more of a social thing

Haha, another reason why faceid is stupid.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

doesn't work, awkward, creepy, gives you the notch

ship it

- tim

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

got to get those pointless marketing bulletpoints!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

both faceid and touchid are awful and ableist to some degree. go back to passphrases only

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

carry on then posted:

both faceid and touchid are awful and ableist to some degree. go back to passphrases only

im not sure if there's a worse take than this one

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my stepdads beer posted:

there is, the take that faceid and touchid are good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my stepdads beer posted:

by allowing for all three its accessible

though reaching the apple pay state with limited motor control would require going into the app itself to avoid dexterity requirements but thats not limited by biometric authentication alone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i wonder if something could be made to activate a power button command by a switch so someone could quick tap it with limited motion

theres an option for apple pay directly via assistivetouch though im still curious about being able to further extend that interaction flexibility to limited motion situations

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Originally when I got touchid, I never bothered because the 4 digit pin was faster

but then the next ios update made it so that you have to fail the touchid for the pin entry to come up, so it became faster to use touchid

fuckin hell apple

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there is literally no way a pin is faster than touchid

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Switzerland posted:

maybe they have some phone app updates to demo and they can give jonny the tony fadell goodbye

https://youtu.be/0wQ7oL9pIIU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

pram posted:

Don't you have to hold the finger for half a second? You could totally input four digits in 0.3s, saving the 200ms for productivity tasks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

Don't you have to hold the finger for half a second? You could totally input four digits in 0.3s, saving the 200ms for productivity tasks

it's instant

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

When it first appeared it was not fast, but the next iPhone revision made it near instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

When it first appeared it was not fast, but the next iPhone revision made it near instant.

I've not used one of those so gently caress all yall

pram posted:

well touchid didn't need to be such a little bitch and force its way into my shitposting workflow