Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896193

So long mikrotik. It's been nice knowing you. I'll be over in the Ubiquiti thread if you need me.

E: oh poo poo what a terrible page snipe. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Strangely I found one of those at Goodwill next to a Linksys for like $2, sold it on eBay for about what you're asking.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What, this ISNT the Ubiquiti thread?

Has UBNT fixed their routing offerings? It seems like for a while their normally priced devices couldn't really push any routing volume with features enabled.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FunOne posted:

What, this ISNT the Ubiquiti thread?

Has UBNT fixed their routing offerings? It seems like for a while their normally priced devices couldn't really push any routing volume with features enabled.

UBNT is in the Home Networking thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

falz posted:

Strangely I found one of those at Goodwill next to a Linksys for like $2, sold it on eBay for about what you're asking.

drat that is fantastic!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EdgeRouter stuff was OK, I think you can tell they have no software people left though who know what they are doing as everything they release seems to have show-stopping bugs in. Mikrotik have their own issues with having to run everything on an ancient kernel because god know why but they can't seem to get the hallowed ROS v7 out the door.

I gave up with the 'enthusiast' routing platforms because it was just more hassle than it's worth, and I prefer Junos.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I gave up with the 'enthusiast' routing platforms because it was just more hassle than it's worth, and I prefer Junos.

Thats troubling to hear. I'm a network engineer for a living, so I didnt want to go the full Cisco/Juniper/Dell enterprise at home way and just invested in some Ubiquiti gear for home. Granted just a cheap ER-X router and some of their entry level APs. So far its been OK to work with, but I'm not pushing it to do much either.

I dont want to deal with networking stuff when I get home like a second job, but I do want some better performance and fun stuff like dashboards, than what I would get with a off the rack Netgear all in one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

EdgeRouter stuff was OK, I think you can tell they have no software people left though who know what they are doing as everything they release seems to have show-stopping bugs in. Mikrotik have their own issues with having to run everything on an ancient kernel because god know why but they can't seem to get the hallowed ROS v7 out the door.

I am so glad I didn't hold onto my CCR in the expectation of having ROS v7 released.
Junos is pretty great actually and we even use their Pulse Secure software at work. I don't know why they didn't buy into the hardware as well, but I suspect it having something to do with the people making the purchases not knowing anything except cisco.

I couldn't see myself trusting UBNT in an office environment. It's laughably buggy.
I'm still salty about their cameras/NVR software being completely hosed and not adopting cameras or not being able to record more than a couple at a time. I bought into their ecosystem got my house because the UI looked super easy to navigate and the phone app + cloud key meant I could manage settings from anywhere. The idea was to implement something that even the wife could figure out if I died. Something that was more 'management by mouse click' and less :
code:
MMM      MMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
  MMMM    MMMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
  MMM MMMM MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRRRRR     OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK
  MMM  MM  MMM  III  KKKKK     RRR  RRR  OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKKKK
  MMM      MMM  III  KKK KKK   RRRRRR    OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKK KKK
  MMM      MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRR  RRR   OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK

MikroTik RouterOS 4.5 (c) 1999-2010       [url]http://www.mikrotik.com/[/url]

Terminal xterm detected, using multiline input mode
[admin@MikroTik] >
I have a USG-PRO, US-16-150W Switch, and US-24-250W Switch, a UAP-AC-PRO, and a CloudKey, and that seems to work well enough for my home. I need to get a couple more wap's and reconfigure the house so that AC works a little better and all rooms are line-of-sight from an AP though.
On the up-side I have a metric gently caress ton of PoE ports now, a gateway with honest to god ISP failover (but unfortunately no IPS or IPD because I like my network speeds to be over 30mbps) that is pretty intuitive and easy to figure out.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As I think I said before, the hundreds of Mikrotiks that I manage at my work is going to make for a funny story at my eventual next job.

edit - Sort of like how at a previous job there was a 48 port switch that would freeze every hour on the hour and it fed like a whole floor of a building but the company DIDN'T WANT TO PAY FOR A REPLACEMENT!!! but somehow it was still my problem-- so I just bought a $3 reptile day/night heat lamp timer and set the day/night cycle to 58 minutes on and 10 seconds off.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 15, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just buy Aruba IAPs from eBay for around the same price as UniFi APs and enjoy the set-and-forget nature of them. I'm not too fussed about the dashboards.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was surprised by Ubiquti's customer service last year when I decided to go all in on an ER-X and UAP HD Nano. I figured I could use the UAP's PoE for both units, ended up frying the ER-X because I didn't check how much voltage it could handle beforehand. I decided to RMA it because I figured the worst that'd happen is getting turned down and having to drop another $50 or whatever it was. I plainly stated it was my fault, I didn't check the voltage, and the unit was dead. To my surprise they approved it and sent a new one!

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that seems to be a pattern with Ubiquiti-- from a compatibility level, it's typically best to stick to one product line to cover all of your needs (UniFi or EdgeRouter.) Both product lines have their advantages/disadvantages. As an exception, the UniFi APs work fine with EdgeRouter gear. I ended up converting from a MikroTik hAP AC to a regular USG, nanoHD, US-8-60W switch and CloudKey G1. My USG overheated once and my CloudKey ate through multiple microSD cards, but those are the only serious issues I've had. Minor issues were related to creating/editing JSON configurations (really, Ubiquiti? why do we still have to do this with UniFi?)

At some point I'd like to migrate the controller to a VM and ditch the CloudKey, but it's been working fine so I'll just wait until it dies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yeah that seems to be a pattern with Ubiquiti-- from a compatibility level, it's typically best to stick to one product line to cover all of your needs (UniFi or EdgeRouter.) Both product lines have their advantages/disadvantages. As an exception, the UniFi APs work fine with EdgeRouter gear. I ended up converting from a MikroTik hAP AC to a regular USG, nanoHD, US-8-60W switch and CloudKey G1. My USG overheated once and my CloudKey ate through multiple microSD cards, but those are the only serious issues I've had. Minor issues were related to creating/editing JSON configurations (really, Ubiquiti? why do we still have to do this with UniFi?)

At some point I'd like to migrate the controller to a VM and ditch the CloudKey, but it's been working fine so I'll just wait until it dies.

Why not migrate and sell the cloudkey?

Anywho I just read this and found it interesting:
https://medium.com/tenable-techblog/routeros-post-exploitation-784c08044790

Why had I not heard of Cleaner Wrasse before?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is MikroTik releasing a small router (like the hEX S) but with ARM? I see they already have the hAP ac2.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm in case you guys missed it, v7 is real

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=151903

Feature wise is pretty much v6.45.5 but with a new linux kernel

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha holy poo poo

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I heard IPv6 PBR and openvpn UDP/lz0 was coming with v7.

Confirm?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The half-assed TCP-only openvpn implementation and MTK's refusal to fix it over the years make me wonder why they even bothered to include it at all.

Also why do so many people seem to prefer openvpn when IPsec performs better on these platforms, and there's a native L2TP client built into Windows and MacOS?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SamDabbers posted:

Also why do so many people seem to prefer openvpn when IPsec performs better on these platforms, and there's a native L2TP client built into Windows and MacOS?

Windows 10 L2TP client is hosed since 1809 so maybe that's the reason? If you use password rather than certs you need to start the session using powershell instead of the conventional gui.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

They want to tunnel their traffic through NordVPN in order to fund lotax's spine.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
RouterOS v7.0 limited beta

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152003

Isn't this one of the heralds of the end times?

Edit: I see someone has already beaten me to it.

alyandon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 10, 2019

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I've learned the hard way over the years to set all MikroTik devices to "Channel: long term".

The only thing more dangerous than "Channel: stable" would be "beta" in the MikroTik world.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you REALLY hate reliability, ROS 7 beta 2 has a CHR image now...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm quite encouraged that the pace on this seems to be picking up. Yes it's going to be buggy junk for a while but fingers crossed being on a kernel that people can actually support is going to help speed things along. At least they haven't done a Ubiquiti and essentially given up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sure as hell seemed like they did for quite a while.

They seem to do okay with what they can accomplish, even if it's not meeting everyone's specific ask.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am really confused by their strange ethernet repeater products and termination kit though - though maybe in Central/Eastern Europe it makes perfect sense to wire up large apartment blocks, but it's not like terminating fibre is expensive anymore.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I am really confused by their strange ethernet repeater products and termination kit though - though maybe in Central/Eastern Europe it makes perfect sense to wire up large apartment blocks, but it's not like terminating fibre is expensive anymore.

"If you want to do a out-of-spec length wiring job and all your techs can only do copper termination" This is the GPeR use case. There is a surprising lack of interest in retraining techs from copper crimp/punch to fiber splicing in a lot of firms which historically used copper for every link-type.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

"If you want to do a out-of-spec length wiring job and all your techs can only do copper termination" This is the GPeR use case. There is a surprising lack of interest in retraining techs from copper crimp/punch to fiber splicing in a lot of firms which historically used copper for every link-type.

Yeah I mean, we have some locations where telephone retrofit has left us with some non-serviceable locations that someone just has to have a computer or IP phone at. These add another point of failure and god help you if you don't somehow document that this thing is jammed in the wall somewhere. We're installing certified Cat6A wiring and this is contrarian to that effort, but these have a place in your Sandman-esque problem solver tool bag.

Fiber optics are going to go as far as you want, assuming you have power availability, and there's certainly a time and expensive in the optics and splicing.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Any suggestions for fiber splicing for the home gamer? Last I looked the kits were more than I wanted to spend and every cable was going to cost an additional pile in hosed up ends so I stopped looking.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you want to splice, or do you just want to be able to put ends on? There are some good mechanical connectors that just need a decent cleaver - no end polishing or glue.

https://www.belden.com/products/enterprise/fiber/field-term-connectors/mechanical-splice-connectors

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/13224.html

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 15, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What the gently caress is fiber splicing for the home gamer

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you want to splice, or do you just want to be able to put ends on? There are some good mechanical connectors that just need a decent cleaver - no end polishing or glue.

https://www.belden.com/products/enterprise/fiber/field-term-connectors/mechanical-splice-connectors

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/13224.html

Just ends, those look manageable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sup Mikrotik thread?

Man have they spoiled me for reboot times. Sure, I need to upgrade the fuckers like once a month for their constant bug fixes, but holy poo poo do I feel it when a Juniper takes 9-10 minutes to boot. Longest I've ever seen a MT take is like 2 minutes but most of the time it's a nice 30 seconds.

Oh and hey turns out I apparently have to upgrade Junipers just as often it seems like. At least to fix a bunch of poo poo thats been wrong with our EX2300s.

Oh wait our core BGP router died 3 times in a month and Juniper was like :shrug: I guess send it in and we'll look at it. Same day service means 23 hours of possible downtime!

At least CCR's were cheap enough to keep a shelf spare of for random poo poo like that.

I guess I'm just happy Mikrotik's still around. I still like em!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 27, 2019

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Used Ubiquiti for about a year then switched back to MikroTik for home use. Never been happier.

There can be a lot of configuration involved to a MikroTik, but once you get it there, it's basically set it and forget it. I'll take RouterOS/Terminal over having to customize a JSON file any day.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Used Ubiquiti for about a year then switched back to MikroTik for home use. Never been happier.

There can be a lot of configuration involved to a MikroTik, but once you get it there, it's basically set it and forget it. I'll take RouterOS/Terminal over having to customize a JSON file any day.

Yeah for non complicated situations, offices, homes, prosumers, they are the poo poo.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Fun Shoe
Updated a RB3011 to 6.35.8 and now I get frequent emails from rancid about the following config entry changing:

pre:
192.168.13.1 |    3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)
diff --git a/configs/192.168.13.1 b/configs/192.168.13.1
index f530a19..21f239f 100644
- -- a/configs/192.168.13.1
@@ -50,7 +50,7 @@ add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.13.50-192.168.13.150
  /ip dhcp-server
  add address-pool=default-dhcp authoritative=after-2sec-delay disabled=no interface=bridge lease-time=1d name=defconf
  /ipv6 dhcp-server
- add address-pool=twc interface=bridge name=server1
+ add address-pool=twc name=server1
  /queue simple
  add name=root target=""
  /snmp community
It basically oscillates between removing the bridge interface and then adding it back shortly afterward. Anyone have ideas why it'd be doing that?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there anything in the logs themselves? I've had it complain about outdated configurations after they changed how bridges worked in the past.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Fun Shoe
Nope - the only thing in my logs is rancid itself logging in to pull the configs along with the occasional dhcp related stuff.

Also, it has apparently stopped doing this since Feb 8th. Why? Because Mikrotik.

Edit2: And now it is doing it again. :-/

alyandon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 12, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Update to the latest 6.46.3 and see if it still happens. They did a bunch of changes to how bridges / switches work past 6.40.x, so who knows, maybe poo poo will work?

Unrelated to that, I finally left my Mikrotik-heavy job. I wonder if I'll ever professionally deal with this platform in a work-at-another-company way? I'm certainly still using them at home and if I ever make my own WISP I will continue to use them!

...For maybe everything but BGP, that is. I dunno if I'd ever trust core BGP work to a Mikrotik. For everything else on a network, heck yeah though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Fun Shoe
I fat-fingered the version. I'm actually on 6.45.8.