Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

No, they just made heavier crossbows with even more power. That's why cranks start appearing on crossbows. A normal human can't string up a heavy crossbow without assistance. This is also why historical texts state that guns have more range than bows around the 1500s. The really big warbows still have a long maximum range, but guns have a much effective range against the common armor of the time.

A light crossbow where people were expected to pull back the latch with their hands

A heavy crossbow with a fancy pulley and crank system

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Did they ever give up on actually piercing the armor and just made bolts that transfer the most kinetic energy instead to act as long ranged maces?

No cause fully armored people weren't the majority of combatants. There were stopgaps in between like just having a helmet and good cuirass but a full suit that made you impervious to arrows was equitable in cost to an entry level family car today, anywhere from a year to a months wages depending how high on the nobility scale you were.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Close Helms especialy left you so isolated and deprived of sense that until they were definitely in the thick of it people kept them off or open, so an arrow might get lucky and hit somebody in the face.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They did make different kinds of arrows that punched through cloth or mail though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Captain Cappy posted:

Did they ever give up on actually piercing the armor and just made bolts that transfer the most kinetic energy instead to act as long ranged maces?

A 9mm bullet weighs about 7 grams.

An arrow weighs about 18 grams.

An arrow heavy enough to act as a "long range mace" wouldn't fly for poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A 9mm bullet weighs about 7 grams.

An arrow weighs about 18 grams.

An arrow heavy enough to act as a "long range mace" wouldn't fly for poo poo.
noted archery documentary "Green Arrow" has taught me otherwise

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
so is it true that the secret the false rape accusations is that the church just doesn't like the shield hero? not even that the shield hero is secretly vital to defeating the demon king and the church is evil and wants the world to end?
they just picked one of the four heroes to hate for no reason, not even because a past shield hero was a dick?

That's loving hilarious.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Monocled Falcon posted:

so is it true that the secret the false rape accusations is that the church just doesn't like the shield hero? not even that the shield hero is secretly vital to defeating the demon king and the church is evil and wants the world to end?
they just picked one of the four heroes to hate for no reason, not even because a past shield hero was a dick?

That's loving hilarious.

You are seriously underestimating how dumb this story is.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
....Um there is pretty clearly a shield in that symbol too? :confused:

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
... tell me more.

Is he doing what I think he's doing? leaping to the conclusion that the shield is the evil playthrough because he's feeling pissed about Melty.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Monocled Falcon posted:

That's loving hilarious.

IIRC the legend of the shield hero is seen as a symbol of hope for the beastmen and other non-human races, and the oppressed in general, so those who are highly invested in the current order and human supremacy view him as a threat, hence why they limited the Church's pantheon to three heroes. But more broadly the Pope didn't like the existence of power outside of his own.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

You are seriously underestimating how dumb this story is.

she'lld hero

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The art is probably the best part of the material, but NEDM applies.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I enjoy this show. I'm glad there's such an active community discussing it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm still watching it with a friend of mine but even if there was discussion I wouldn't have much to contribute. I didn't care for the new ep but that's because I don't really like Raphtalia so Raphtalia: The Origin didn't do anything for me.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There's a new, even bigger birb. Somehow it's not a slave yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ending an episode with the promise of a big T-Rex fight next episode and then dealing with that threat by having a completely new character come out of nowhere and immediately one shot it before dumping exposition for the rest of the episode is so incredibly Shield Hero. when's the next wave drat it, the more fighting the characters do the less I have to listen to them talk

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1146100/The_Rising_of_the_Shield_Hero__Relive_The_Animation/

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So did this turn out to be good?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Namtab posted:

You can polish and gild it with animation from Studio Kinema Citrus and music from Kevin Perkin, but it still won't make the story not loving terrible and bad. If you meant the game, simple overview does not build promise.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Namtab posted:

good enough to be renewed for seasons 2 and 3

:suicide:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

good enough to be renewed for seasons 2 and 3

:suicide:

Ugh, don't loving remind me. And here we are without more seasons of Log Horizon or any word yet on Bakarina or Kumo. I'm legit curious about those seasons because other than and increase in LN sales on Bookwalker, I don't know what kind of impact it's had on sales numbers so I think some of the heft on pressure for those seasons might be from Crunchyroll who benefits from having a flagship series. This is pure speculation on my part.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 4, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shield Hero being flagship series for Crunchyroll is pretty hilarious/terrible in itself. :v:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I mean at least they now shifted their attention towards Dr Stone.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

congratulations to the fans :)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Literally just an RPG maker game they threw anime clips into to maybe justify a price tag.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess crunchyroll isn't bankrolling the game if default RPG maker assets plus some portraits and hacked together sprites is what they're going with

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Even with RPGMaker assets Crunchyroll is probably giving them more money than their translators.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Davincie posted:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just saw that Shield Hero is getting 2 more seasons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

Go figure that incels and the larger anime community have a big overlap.

Also we live in hellworld.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Suprise that poo poo series that had fanbase before animation had fanbase after animation. It's not even an Incel/guy thing. I know plenty of girls who like the show and see the main guy as a sympathetic figure. I don't claim to understand it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

Davincie posted:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Has any youtuber done a video essay on the merits of sanitizing troubling media in adaption, it's like the only worthwhile thing Shield Hero brings to the table.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheHan posted:

Has any youtuber done a video essay on the merits of sanitizing troubling media in adaption, it's like the only worthwhile thing Shield Hero brings to the table.

Pretty sure a few have complimented the LN so I'm gonna go with no. Realistically, I can't see any anituber ever touching that due to not wanting to rock the boat that is their gravy train. The other portion is people LEGITIMATELY finding this show and others like it which is...troubling to say the least.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 8, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

Suprise that poo poo series that had fanbase before animation had fanbase after animation. It's not even an Incel/guy thing. I know plenty of girls who like the show and see the main guy as a sympathetic figure. I don't claim to understand it.
your friends are dumb

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Well Naruto is/was insanely popular and that had villages of children slaughtering each other, so the answer is always, that's Anime and Manga!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LorneReams posted:

Well Naruto is/was insanely popular and that had villages of children slaughtering each other, so the answer is always, that's Anime and Manga!

You do know the difference between depiction and endorsement, right?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

Broke brain people regardless of gender love to emphasize with a downtrodden underdog who gets revenge and justs horrifically shits all over his enemies.

"What about him sentencing his accuser to getting raped to death?"

"...its a fantasy story don't take it seriously geez" everyone who can't understand why toxic incel redpill depictions in media are actually harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

You do know the difference between depiction and endorsement, right?

I see this being brought up in defense of this show and others with questionable content of this nature whether it be slavery or sexual violence. I can neve get that defense since a lot of those shows are just so loving nakedly obvious and upfront about it. Take One Piece for instance, it depicts slavery as the ABSOLUTE DEFINITIVE EVIL with there being no instance of it being EVER ok or acceptable to be involved in it and all the people that are involved in the slave trade are depicted as being morally bankrupt and monstrously awful and evil. Shield Hero just doubles down on its slavery thing by giving Naofumi a loving village of slaves and frames this as ok because he "treats them nice" and only uses the crests to discipline them.