Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, was talking out my rear end. Reread the stuff I had read when troubleshooting and I got it wrong. Still love my fire stick anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My dad's TV is losing support for amazon prime video in a couple of weeks so I finally unboxed the Fire TV set top box I got him in December 2016 and tried to set it up tonight (previously he didn't want to change how he used it). After signing in to the account it gets to a screen that says to launch the prime video app from the home screen. When I hit continue it says Loading... and goes back to that screen. If I hit the button often enough it opens a web browser I can barely use with the remote that goes to a nonexistent page on amazon. I can't get into the actual OS home screen and the settings button does nothing. I tried rebooting it, power cycling it, and doing the factory reset with Back and the right button, but after going through setup it doesn't get past that point.

It does let me navigate to the main amazon page but there's really nothing to do from there since it never seems to get to the point where I'm in the actual OS, just a web browser I can't close.

Has anyone had any luck with a situation like this? I imagine I'm going to get zero help from amazon because even though it's new out of the box he's owned it for almost three years. I've done plenty of messing with android phones in the past but this never seems to get to the point where I'd be able to interact with anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rexxed posted:

I imagine I'm going to get zero help from amazon because even though it's new out of the box he's owned it for almost three years.

It's still an Amazon product. Contact chat support, and I bet they'll either send out a new one, or get you in contact with tech support, or something to help resolve the problem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's still an Amazon product. Contact chat support, and I bet they'll either send out a new one, or get you in contact with tech support, or something to help resolve the problem.

You're right, the chat rep was able to fix it. Somehow they had to register the device on their end with my account after which it was able to get updates and started working like it normally should.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've been on a FireTV since... forever. Now that Disney+ is not coming to FireTV, I'm thinking about getting a Shield. But I don't want to.

What are the odds that Amazon and Disney come to an agreement before November?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

I've been on a FireTV since... forever. Now that Disney+ is not coming to FireTV, I'm thinking about getting a Shield. But I don't want to.

What are the odds that Amazon and Disney come to an agreement before November?

Isn't that only speculation because they left it off the list? AFAIK they haven't explicitly said that it won't be on Fire TV, and frankly they'd be foolish to leave it off one of the biggest streaming devices available.

Fire TV has a 30% market share, only topped by Roku.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't that only speculation because they left it off the list? AFAIK they haven't explicitly said that it won't be on Fire TV, and frankly they'd be foolish to leave it off one of the biggest streaming devices available.

Fire TV has a 30% market share, only topped by Roku.
I believe it's more than simple speculation at this point. Remember, there was no officially supported YouTube app on Amazon for over a year because of a disagreement between Amazon and Google. Amazon pulls stuff that impacts FireTV customers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

I believe it's more than simple speculation at this point. Remember, there was no officially supported YouTube app on Amazon for over a year because of a disagreement between Amazon and Google. Amazon pulls stuff that impacts FireTV customers.

Look at it this way: Disney is trying to break into a market that is very difficult to get a foothold in. If you're not Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, nobody cares. Disney needs this to succeed and thus needs to be on as many devices as possible.

Now lets look at it from Amazon's perspective: yes, Disney+ succeeding is one more competitor to worry about, but who is currently streaming Disney's content? Netflix is. Disney pulling their content from Netflix to stream themselves hurts Netflix in a big way and gives Amazon a better position in the market. Yes, Disney will probably start pulling Fox movies from the competition as well, and that will probably hurt Amazon too, but Amazon's original shows are where they shine anyway.

So yes, maybe the two companies will bicker and ultimately not come to an agreement, but it seems unlikely.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Can't you just sideload the android version for Disney+ on fire?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

:smuggo: Disney reaches deal with Amazon to put Disney+ on Fire TV devices

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Thank God the big corporations worked out a way to feed us.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I think I found the greatest flaw for the fire stick... it’s that dinky little remote which keeps getting loving lost.
We have a constant battle of it falling in the gaps of the sofa, or hiding under things and we’re at the point where we have no idea where it is besides gutting the whole living room.

The phone app was pretty good but lately it just stops working altogether, our TV remote also works with it but isn’t as snappy, I even considered getting some Tile Sticker Bluetooth trackers until I found you can’t replace the batteries.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Super Slash posted:

I think I found the greatest flaw for the fire stick... it’s that dinky little remote which keeps getting loving lost.
We have a constant battle of it falling in the gaps of the sofa, or hiding under things and we’re at the point where we have no idea where it is besides gutting the whole living room.

The phone app was pretty good but lately it just stops working altogether, our TV remote also works with it but isn’t as snappy, I even considered getting some Tile Sticker Bluetooth trackers until I found you can’t replace the batteries.
Just tape a giant wood stirring spoon to it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The worst thing about the Fire Remote is that it's round on the back and flat on the side with the actual buttons, so if you want to set it down on anything other than a completely level surface, you have to put it face down.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Super Slash posted:

I used nail polish to brighten mine up. It made it easier to see in the cracks and gaps if the couch.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My Echo Dot is connect to my Fire Stick 4K. I used to be able to say “Alexa, pause” and it would pause whatever I’m watching. Now it just says “I’m not sure.” A workaround I found is to just say “Alexa, play” and it’ll pause the show, but it’s an irritating issue. Anyone else run into this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Just tape a giant wood stirring spoon to it.

Best user name

Also, yeah, all our remotes etc have a 3' red ribbon glued to the back. Looped back it's probably 1.5' but whatever. It's bright red and slightly reflective and is usually snaking out from under some blanket, cat, or pillow.

Giant wooden spoon is a very close second

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm,

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 3, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my wife is trying to do exercise classes hosted on zoom meetings via the fire stick . Is this possible in any way? She has an iphone, I have an android phone and we have an old as heck kindle fire tablet . We can put zoom on all of those but I don't know of any way to mirror that to the fire stick, and it doesn't appear there's an app for the fire stick either.

Should I dig the appletv2 out of storage and just have her mirror to that? It's frustrating the whole world seemed to go to zoom meetings all of a sudden when they're not really the best method for a lot of things

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
My MIL just called me and my wife and told us they plugged their Fire stick into their TV and it started showing them a slideshow of our photographs from way back when. Tons of photos. Stuff completely unrelated to them, and we are both concerned there might be some, uh, dirty ones mixed in there. We have absolutely no idea how their device could be showing our photos. Neither of us use any kind of Amazon Photos/Amazon Drive thing. We checked both of our accounts, and there are no photos in them anywhere. I've never used an Amazon Fire stick so I really have no idea what they're seeing or what it could be synced to. How do we get our poo poo off their TV before they see something nobody wants them to see?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are you or your wife in a shared Prime Household with your in-laws (to share free shipping or Prime Video benefits)? I don't know how Amazon would have your photos if neither of your have used Amazon Photos/Drive but the privacy settings can get wonky when people are in the same Prime Household or if a device was originally registered to a different person. Did you buy their Fire Stick as a gift and/or does their Fire Stick show up under your "Manage my Content & Devices" page?

It's nowhere near as bad as sharing private photos, but my parents and I are in the same Prime Household, and even though we have completely separate accounts and totally different tastes, our Prime Video watch histories are all mixed together no matter what settings I change.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Lester Shy posted:

Are you or your wife in a shared Prime Household with your in-laws (to share free shipping or Prime Video benefits)? I don't know how Amazon would have your photos if neither of your have used Amazon Photos/Drive but the privacy settings can get wonky when people are in the same Prime Household or if a device was originally registered to a different person. Did you buy their Fire Stick as a gift and/or does their Fire Stick show up under your "Manage my Content & Devices" page?

It's nowhere near as bad as sharing private photos, but my parents and I are in the same Prime Household, and even though we have completely separate accounts and totally different tastes, our Prime Video watch histories are all mixed together no matter what settings I change.

We are not in a shared Prime Household, and their Fire stick does not appear in the list of devices for either of our accounts. We didn't buy the Fire stick for them. It's just a stick they have, I guess. I don't know anything about it.

Another possibility is that her parents are wrong about where the photos are coming from. Maybe their TV is accessing the photos not through the Fire stick but through some app?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

LargeHadron posted:

We are not in a shared Prime Household, and their Fire stick does not appear in the list of devices for either of our accounts. We didn't buy the Fire stick for them. It's just a stick they have, I guess. I don't know anything about it.

Another possibility is that her parents are wrong about where the photos are coming from. Maybe their TV is accessing the photos not through the Fire stick but through some app?

Are you sure they are you photos? The default screensaver is a bunch of generic photos, is it possible that they just think they are yours?

My experience is older people read way too much into what they think "smart technology" can do. My mother-in-law swears, I thought she was kidding but she is dead serious, that Alexa likes my father-in-law better than her and even flirts with him, while Alexa is rude to her.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Are you sure they are you photos? The default screensaver is a bunch of generic photos, is it possible that they just think they are yours?

My experience is older people read way too much into what they think "smart technology" can do. My mother-in-law swears, I thought she was kidding but she is dead serious, that Alexa likes my father-in-law better than her and even flirts with him, while Alexa is rude to her.

Yeah, we are 100% sure. She described them, who was in them etc. No chance for error on her part.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

Maybe your FIL is a handsome guy and Alexa likes him. :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone with a Fire Stick 4K find their YouTube audio and video desync after a while and have to restart their stick? Mine is powered via AC adapter so it’s always on.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there any way of remapping controller buttons (or make the controller not work as a remote)? I can hook up my xbone controller to the stick without issues, but it tries to use it as a remote at the same time, so start and select get remapped to select+a/select+b and it's annoying as poo poo for steam streaming games.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
It sounds like it's not a Fire Stick at all, just a regular thumb drive with pictures on it...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a google home thread, or similar?

Due to recent events my parents are in the southwest, while my family is here on the west coast.

Looks like there are a couple of video chat features out there, Zoom, obviously, but it looks like Facebook, Amazon and Google all offer a videoconference kiosk of some sort

I was thinking about getting myself, my parents, and my mother in law all video conferencing kiosks, probably Google based, as that's what we're using at our house and mother in law's house, so we'd just add my parents to that and everyone is good to go.

Curious what people's experiences have been like for the "google next max" which seems to be the only standalone video-capable device right now. Looks like, when it launched, you could not make video calls from the device, only receive them? Is that still true? Looks like if you can make calls from the home max, you have to dig around in the settings to get it to work using "Duo" which is.... google's third? fourth? concurrent video chat application

Would like to stay away from the facebook portal thing, they already know enough about my life

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Is there a thread for the generic Android sticks/boxes? I searched but all the results are individual posts over in the AliExpress thread.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon released a new thing where they're, uh, I'm not sure exactly,

Share your internet with other Amazon devices? And it's opt out, I guess. But no security guarantees, or something. Called "Sidewalk"

https://gizmodo.com/you-need-to-opt-out-of-amazon-sidewalk-1845750268

Good luck

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is this the thread in which I ask Chromecast vs Roku? Because this is a question I have.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

Is this the thread in which I ask Chromecast vs Roku? Because this is a question I have.

Since Fire TV is neither of those things, probably not. Maybe the cordcutting thread?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CygnusTM posted:

Since Fire TV is neither of those things, probably not. Maybe the cordcutting thread?

I'll check there. Just was wondering whether the FireTV thread had branched off to all casting devices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did anyone ever develop a solid way to Airplay to a Fire Stick?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just ordered a Fire TV 4k stick to replace my AppleTV. Main use case is an esoteric Japanese IPTV .apk that I can sideload, something I can’t do on the AppleTV or I’d just stick with that to be honest. But since my main daily driver apps are YouTube, Netflix, D+, Crave, and this IPTV thing, I can’t really justify keeping the AppleTV hooked up if the Fire stick can do everything else I want.

So my main question, can I use any USB-C to ethernet adapter to wire this in, or do I need to opt for the Amazon one? I do so much streaming on a daily basis that I’ve decided to keep off the WiFi spectrum with the AppleTV and don’t see that changing with the Fire stick. I have a few lying around but I still have time to order the official Amazon one to my order since it hasn’t shipped yet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I just ordered a Fire TV 4k stick to replace my AppleTV. Main use case is an esoteric Japanese IPTV .apk that I can sideload, something I can’t do on the AppleTV or I’d just stick with that to be honest. But since my main daily driver apps are YouTube, Netflix, D+, Crave, and this IPTV thing, I can’t really justify keeping the AppleTV hooked up if the Fire stick can do everything else I want.

So my main question, can I use any USB-C to ethernet adapter to wire this in, or do I need to opt for the Amazon one? I do so much streaming on a daily basis that I’ve decided to keep off the WiFi spectrum with the AppleTV and don’t see that changing with the Fire stick. I have a few lying around but I still have time to order the official Amazon one to my order since it hasn’t shipped yet.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the Fire TV Stick 4K is micro usb, not USB-C, so don't buy the wrong adapter if you decide to try.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh good call, thanks.

E: It’s just $19 and I don’t have a micro-usb ethernet adapter so I just picked up the official one, thanks!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Oh good call, thanks.

E: It’s just $19 and I don’t have a micro-usb ethernet adapter so I just picked up the official one, thanks!

Did you read the reviews for it. They are pretty bad. Apparently it's only 10/100 and not very reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

10/100 should be fine for what I’m streaming now but the reliability might be what kills it. I’m mainly picking this up to keep Wifi from being congested but I might just cancel the adapter for now and see how well it fares. Thanks for the heads up.