Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I've seen a deck that runs Bishop of Wings, Divine Visitation, and Arcane Adaptation set to "Angel". It lost before it really went off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. A great opening hand is 3 plains (or other untapped white), Ajani's Welcome, Bishop of Wings, and a Resplendent Angel. If you can't kill the Bishop or Angel before the end of T3, they now have a free 4/4 flyer coming every single turn or until you kill one. There are other hands that are nearly as ugly, but I've run into that exact T1-T3 at least 4 times.

Literally every deck is good if the opponent has no removal or disruption before T4. Consider mulliganning to interaction more aggressively?

I had to Hurricane Evac for most of the week so I’m late to the brawl challenge and I’m a bit concerned by the deck construction. Why does the Bant colored ramp Commander have 15 Ramp cards in the deck but the 6 mana Mardu Commander has no ramp cards? You can play entirely too many games of Mardu knights without ever hitting 6 mana, that’s really bad. These decks feel like precons designed by people who just started playing Commander and not by people who understand how Singleton formats should work.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I thought that, given the resources available and their obvious desire to not pack too much value into the decks that they're decent.
The Knight deck definitely needs more oomph though. And more ramp.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Chulane one seems perfectly fine, the faerie one is like 4-5 cards from being good, the Knights deck is basically a pile of Draft Chaff and it really shows.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I haven't played unranked in a while. Is it usual for folks to scoop to a t2 Cavalcade? It's happened 3 times now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People scoop to literally anything in Casual, it’s why I exclusively play ranked.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I exclusively play casual because I take losses hard enough as is; if I have to look at the rank I'm losing it'll just piss me off more.
That and I like to play dumb poo poo like my deathtouch tribal deck.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

//*wrong thread*//

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
I don't know the names of any cards and usually only play casual, dipped my toes into ranked, first game I played I came up against a deck that could just replay a "take no damage this turn" card over and over, and had no way to deal with his artifact that untapped everything until he drew his entire deck and for some reason I died instead of him? I think I'll stick to casual.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Griffball posted:

I don't know the names of any cards and usually only play casual, dipped my toes into ranked, first game I played I came up against a deck that could just replay a "take no damage this turn" card over and over, and had no way to deal with his artifact that untapped everything until he drew his entire deck and for some reason I died instead of him? I think I'll stick to casual.

Yeah the game is probably pretty hard if you don’t read the cards and don’t know what they do

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ChrisBTY posted:

I exclusively play casual because I take losses hard enough as is; if I have to look at the rank I'm losing it'll just piss me off more.
That and I like to play dumb poo poo like my deathtouch tribal deck.

Did you just face off against what appeared to be a monored elemental deck with a single breeding pool?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the game is probably pretty hard if you don’t read the cards and don’t know what they do

I understood everything the mechanics of the cards that allowed him to survive turn after turn, and it was obviously my fault for not having something that can destroy artifacts or do direct damage against planeswalkers, but I was under the impression that an empty deck means you lose, and after an half hour long game I wasn't paying attention, I saw he had 2 cards left in his deck, then I was dead.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

BrianBoitano posted:

Did you just face off against what appeared to be a monored elemental deck with a single breeding pool?

No I haven't played today.
Another crazy fool with deathtouch tribal out there?

Griffball posted:

I understood everything the mechanics of the cards that allowed him to survive turn after turn, and it was obviously my fault for not having something that can destroy artifacts or do direct damage against planeswalkers, but I was under the impression that an empty deck means you lose, and after an half hour long game I wasn't paying attention, I saw he had 2 cards left in his deck, then I was dead.

He probably had a card called "Jace, Wielder of Mysteries" out which lets him win the game when he runs out of deck rather than lose the game.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 8, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally every deck is good if the opponent has no removal or disruption before T4. Consider mulliganning to interaction more aggressively?

I had to Hurricane Evac for most of the week so I’m late to the brawl challenge and I’m a bit concerned by the deck construction. Why does the Bant colored ramp Commander have 15 Ramp cards in the deck but the 6 mana Mardu Commander has no ramp cards? You can play entirely too many games of Mardu knights without ever hitting 6 mana, that’s really bad. These decks feel like precons designed by people who just started playing Commander and not by people who understand how Singleton formats should work.

Eh, I admittedly took mediocre hands into the times I can remember and I had removal and disruption, just the wrong kind. It was mostly a gripe that every time I run into that deck, I wind up keeping a meh hand and run into someone who draws straight gas - that happens to everyone.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

He probably had a card called "Jace, Wielder of Mysteries" out which lets him win the game when he runs out of deck rather than lose the game.

That would have done it, in my defence it was an half hour long game where he was running the timer every turn, and that was like his fouth planeswalker on the board. I'd like to know what someone is doing playing a deck like that at the lowest rank.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Griffball posted:

That would have done it, in my defence it was an half hour long game where he was running the timer every turn, and that was like his fouth planeswalker on the board. I'd like to know what someone is doing playing a deck like that at the lowest rank.

practicing, trying it out before taking it to play in the ranked queues, playing on a friend's account

The idea that Casual Queue is only for bad decks with no rares is a fallacy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bust Rodd posted:

practicing, trying it out before taking it to play in the ranked queues, playing on a friend's account

The idea that Casual Queue is only for bad decks with no rares is a fallacy.

posting is probably pretty hard if you don't read the posts, op was in ranked

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ChrisBTY posted:

Yes. No idea what the end game was, he just kept dropping 1/1s, a 1/2, and the 2/3 lifelink dork before I flew over his head...

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot who only realized this game was a thing yesterday and wants to draft dinosaurs and pirates before they rotate because, well, big dumb idiot.
Am I missing something in the UI, or is there only Magic 2020 draft available?
I'm worried that I'm about a year and a half late. :ohdear:

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 8, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SageNytell posted:

Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot who only realized this game was a thing yesterday and wants to draft dinosaurs and pirates before they rotate because, well, big dumb idiot.

They ain't doing ixalan drafts anytime soon since every card in them is about to rotate, they might do a flashback draft at some point but I doubt it'd be soon

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Griffball posted:

For context: That deck is called turbofog and is at the lowest rank because it's not competitive.

Like it loses to starter decks that get a good draw.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes. No idea what the end game was, he just kept dropping 1/1s, a 1/2, and the 2/3 lifelink dork before I flew over his head...

It's real rough out there IRT getting your deathtouchers big enough to be actual threats.
I'm still hoping for some good equipment in ToE to help that along.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SageNytell posted:

Guilds of Ravnica draft is also available, but Ixalan drafts are long gone. It's for the best, Ixalan was a bad draft format, Rivals with Ixalan was somewhat better but still not very good.

There's more playable formats than just the three panes they show on the main screen. To access them, make sure this thing is toggled to the right

Then click the Play button bottom right and you'll see a full list of all available game modes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GimmickMan posted:

For context: That deck is called turbofog and is at the lowest rank because it's not competitive.

Like it loses to starter decks that get a good draw.

But when it does work it's a machine of malicious frustration!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, pretty much. Kind of a dick move but I've also played it a few times so I'm no one to talk.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I play a bunch of the Simic Flash deck so I really can’t call any other deck a dick move

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Simic is the "dick move" colors

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

U/Anything is the "dick move" colors.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Lone Goat posted:

Guilds of Ravnica draft is also available, but Ixalan drafts are long gone. It's for the best, Ixalan was a bad draft format, Rivals with Ixalan was somewhat better but still not very good.

I guess I'll have to build bad, timing out constructed decks manually to get my dinosaur/pirate fix, then. :(

Maybe Historical will have some kind of options for people who play suboptimally, like me. I can dream.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

They should implement ghost drafts for historical formats.

Also current formats.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SageNytell posted:

I guess I'll have to build bad, timing out constructed decks manually to get my dinosaur/pirate fix, then. :(

Maybe Historical will have some kind of options for people who play suboptimally, like me. I can dream.

Historic will not be competitively supported, so it’s more likely that it will be the Arena equivalent of sitting at the kitchen table and playing whatever you want.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Historic will not be competitively supported, so it’s more likely that it will be the Arena equivalent of sitting at the kitchen table and playing whatever you want.

Historic will have a ranked queue which is the bare minimum of competitive support so that's a thing.

Theoretically they could replace Modern with it as an Eternal format without over a decade of bad design.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So what are the chances we don't get Llanowar Elfes in Eldrane? It's not in 2020 yet. If they don't reprint it till m21 that'd be really... interesting. Paradise Druid and Incubation and that loving elemental certainly strong enough but t1 Llanowar is like the reason for the season. Maybe Arboreal Grazer starts showing up in non-degenerate decks?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re 100% not getting Elvish Mystic in Eldraine. They want Grazer in that slot

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Goose is the new mana dork

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

The Goose is the new mana dork

but the goose is cooked!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, you're gonna want to bolt this bird at 350 degrees for one hour per pound

https://twitter.com/AutumnLilyMTG/status/1170094825548537868

This deck feels pretty strong

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Im holding off on crafting anything before Eldraine drops but this tempting

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at crafting 4 Nexus now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

With the new (old) guild leader avatars, I'm sorta surprised that didn't give them lines, especially ones tied to the emotes. Like they wouldn't have to just be "good game," but something along those lines that are also in line with their personalities. Seems like a wasted opportunity for worldbuilding and characterization (and monetization from premium avatars).