Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That one lower outlier is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Klyith posted:

(Also for some reason the edgiest of edgelords are among the last to leave a dying video game community. I don't know why but I've seen it repeated a couple times.)

I think they're clinging on to hope that if whoever they're following manages to somehow survive, they'll either be rewarded for their loyalty or able to reshape policy in a way favorable to them (which does tie into the first).

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

From the refunds subreddit:

https://www.newsweek.com/star-citizen-890-jump-release-design-price-super-yacht-1457621

newsweek.com posted:

Star Citizen, at its core, is a game about luxury. From its sometimes costly ships to its sprawling persistent cities, it's envisioned as a rich experience. The game's $300 million budget is funded by well over 1 million high-paying backers, so it's clear many members of this passionate community have no problem shelling out a few extra bucks to experience the finer side of life.
For those elite folks foday [sic] is a very special day, because the 890 Jump has finally made its way to Star Citizen's Persistent Universe. You'll have to pay a steep price to fly this Capital Ship yourself, but it remains a huge piece of the narrative behind Chris Roberts' evolving solar system.
"Like real-world super yachts this is a status thing. Nobody in their right mind would buy a super yacht as a practical boat to travel around in. It's completely impractical because of the size of it, but it does say 'I'm an affluent businessman and this is the status of my wealth and a reflection of how I've led my life.'
"Whilst we don't have the full breadth of multi-crew gameplay going with it, [the 890] brings a lot of choices people haven't had to make...I spend that time going to get it and going places, but I can tank all that pesky damage. If a little, annoying Hornet comes along and starts shooting at me, I don't care...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

"It's like the Titanic," Crewe mused

:ironicat:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Did a medi pen just blow up an 890?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

8 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -985 days

Can you move around your ship epipen without falling out blowing up: No

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

If you thought infidelity ruined marriages and other relationships, just wait until you see what this crowdfunded fidelity™ can do.

Zaphod42 posted:

In this case Star Citizen may have saved that woman from her husband before they tied the knot.

Hard to say given that the original post was deleted and the account never responded to any of the comments, but we can hope.

Oh wow :eyepop:
It's almost like someone should start a support group for the spouses who end up victims of the Citizens and their JPEG dreams :ohdear:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Pretty sure this woman was later driven out by sexual harassment, though I might have the story wrong, but it's not like the citizens aren't rather harass friendly

Titanic might remember, where's the Titanic

I assume this happened because she's a lady and whelp citizens.

Sabreseven posted:

I remember that, the enabler was telling the guy with the addiction problem that he should buy a ship with a hot tub to destress in lol. :facepalm:

During my time as a backer (my 'dumb' time), I had argued with that particular enabler as they didn't understand why having toilets and food related items/needs in a mostly spaceship combat game was dumb as gently caress. Not long after that, I became an goon :D

This isn't isolated. There was a goon who knew someone begging for money to pay rent because they spend all their money on jpegs.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

reverend crabhands posted:

I have no idea if that was intentional, but the resemblance it is uncanny. :monocle:

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post467914548]

I don't know that I would compare Stacey with a dog, but the two situations do have certain similarities.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

Well hello, welcome to the thread :hfive:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Got a bit money left over this month, considering to buy Star Citizen :shepspends:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

/r/StarCitizen has already come down from its new ship/patch high, with FUD and dissent getting upvoted :allears:

:banjo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

More upvoted FUD

:suicide:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/5M5yeFP.gifv

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:siren: More exploits found :toot:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

:siren: More exploits found :toot:

I wonder how hard the devs laugh when one of their backers reports an "exploit" in their pre-alpha model-viewer app hacked to mimic the rudimentary functions of a space game. I'm sure all these things are very high on their list to "fix," right after they begin thinking about designing a game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder how hard the devs laugh when one of their backers reports an "exploit" in their pre-alpha model-viewer app hacked to mimic the rudimentary functions of a space game. I'm sure all these things are very high on their list to "fix," right after they begin thinking about designing a game.

Heh. I like how CIG has down a reverse bounty hunting bug thing that Google, Apple does and the customers pay extra to find the bugs.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
Welcome new thread followers.
Enjoy some quality Croberts prose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Thus beginneth the lessons of living Stimperically

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Can anyone repost the Labyrinth gif?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

This exploit pushes people to buy more ships (so that you can swap their exclusive components to better chariots) so, um, yeah, I bet its very high on the fixing list.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidAELevy/status/1170736916456542213

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The hand on the tiller has been really evident this last week:

* The biggest of the big whales were mollified by their literal actual 300 dollar microwaved-potato dinner with Chris. The dumb minelayer ship opened up a new "Tactical" conversation among the idiots who still think this game has an actual design document, and a new big thing to buy if you want to P2W.

* The big "Come to Jesus" conversation video where the developers admitted (indirectly) that they suck at everything, and they need to change the roadmap yet again, scrapping virtually every milestone and goal they had set for themselves through the end of next year. This was extremely cathartic for the angry citizens who want to believe- look, the company can be honest with us, even though their honesty reveals their total incompetence at every aspect of development! It was also the final straw for a bunch of fence sitters, who are now just gone. Another wave of customers driven off and yet their funding never drops.

* The 3.6.1.7 or whatever patch was released from the PTU to the PU, which means virtually nothing because the only thing that was in it was a ship that costs 1000 actual dollars. Every other feature including in-game ship rentals was cut, but the excitement of having a new thing you can buy will overwhelm the remaining Citizens for a couple of days.

* The hype for the big ship was turned up to eleven. Ironically you are going to see a lot fewer organic posts about it now, because on the PTU everyone who logged in could try it, and from now on it will be restricted to buyers, and nobody who plays the game bought one of these loving things because it's a gold plated turd. But that doesn't matter on the subreddit- what matters is the level of hype and testimonials and "Architect reviews" and RP firefight re-enactments and video after video after video about how many spaceships your strained and red-rimmed ship hangar can possibly have crammed into it. Then they hit them with a commercial- amazing! Wow! Never been done before!

I don't think this momentary high is going to last. It's the thrill of dropping a bajillion dollars on a big purchase, but regret is going to set in faster and faster. This thing is useless, you can't even fly it in-game without racking up unbelievable expenses. The game itself has made zero progress in the last 9 months except new spaceships, and they just turned around and promised that it won't make any progress in the next 9 months, either. Citizens always lose their minds over new spaceships but I think they're building up a tolerance- small poo poo like the rocket truck doesn't phase them anymore. The minelayer was met with a big wave of derision at first. They had to do a one-two punch of the biggest ship they've released so far, and the annual apology tour video, and I still think we'll be back to anger before Citizencon in November.

It’s pretty hilarious that they finally disavowed all of the design documents for ships/professions that they’ve had sitting on their website for years. The ones that promise whole entire games worth of mechanics and content for things like passenger transport. Of course I haven’t seen a single Citizen bat their eyes over it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Why have any saunas in a spaceship flying game anyway? :thunk:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Right here is a perfect fit for the term "man-baby"

jfc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:allears:

"Whole game is empty like this"

"It'll help when they add gameplay mechanics"

:lol:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bubbacub posted:

Can anyone repost the Labyrinth gif?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I missed this before, amazing other than comparing Jennifer Connelly to your average start citizen backer (this breaks my gif immersion!)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

:allears:

"Whole game is empty like this"

"It'll help when they add gameplay mechanics"

:lol:

Is this a star citizen Reddit or something more normal like /r/games? If this is from their echo chamber the end is near.

Please pledge more commandos. Scrolling past so much misery and mismanagement is a pretty good time.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:words:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Is this a star citizen Reddit or something more normal like /r/games? If this is from their echo chamber the end is near.

Please pledge more commandos. Scrolling past so much misery and mismanagement is a pretty good time.

It's from the /r/StarCitizen echo chamber

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
What stuck out to me was what one citizen quoted in that thread

quote:

Todd says that what people need to understand is that in normal game development a company would just "run" until they reach Alpha, at which point they'd look at what they've done and realise that they've made a huge mess that the need to clean up before Beta, which is when they have to polish and tune the game, and have an aspect of iteration. In their case, having a Live product since very early on in its development creates challenges that sometimes they're used to and sometimes they're not, so it's a learning process for all of them regardless of how long individual people have been making games for, because Star Citizen is "a very unique beast".

Like, what the hell does that even mean? Especially the mess part...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"I am extremely bitter that people who didn't wait 4 and a half years like I did can dictate what the role of this ship, which I spent hours researching and digging into, is."

It begins :getin:

This is the inevitable consequence of the business model of SC. The fans will tear each other apart as anything in the game actually takes shape, because they all want their own particular vision and its incompatible with what other people want from the game.

Also the people who spent literal thousands of dollars 4-6 years ago are going to see people show up late to the party and get bigger, better, shinier things than they did for the same money.

:lol: "I will never forgive people for taking away my superyacht dreams in sc and replacing them with a loving Carnival Cruise ship"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Again, it's just too funny that the citizens' dreamt-of "superyacht" is designed as a flying hotel that they have to work as the host of, not a billionaire chariot they are the master of. And it can only hold 10 people in 5 suites despite all the space for parties...!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I wonder how much of RSI crowdfunding has been spent on "executive vitamins" for Chris and Sandi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Again, it's just too funny that the citizens' dreamt-of "superyacht" is designed as a flying hotel that they have to work as the host of, not a billionaire chariot they are the master of. And it can only hold 10 people in 5 suites despite all the space for parties...!

GTA Online already added superyachts to sell to whales years ago anyways. And they're boring because there's no real gameplay you can do with them. You just fart on your boat and go "whoo I'm rich" and then 10 minutes later you boat back to the mainland so you can interact with other human beings and have fun.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

I wonder how much of RSI crowdfunding has been spent on "executive vitamins" for Chris and Sandi.

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

And so arrives the inevitable transformation of the RSI website into an MLM marketing page.