Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Seems like a growing theory on r/teslamotors is that tesla scheduled track time months ago but under a different name for some reason. Sure, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Teslanon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While you idiots were bickering, Ol Musky boy actually got out there and did it.

The Porsche was Taycan its time.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bulgakov posted:

because this is 2019 elon is gonna put some shlub behind the wheel of a model s, who against all the odds will kamikaze down the track and only due to pure luck somehow not have smashed into the sides or rolled it over taking a turn poorly or etc and end up accidentally crushing all the other records because thats the one of all possible worlds where the car didn't explode while doing a 1080 through the air into france

Counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/y4wclifegQI

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Genderfluent posted:

Seems like a growing theory on r/teslamotors is that tesla scheduled track time months ago but under a different name for some reason. Sure, why not?

who told them that? Nintendo uncle or Canada girlfriend?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also Musk is tied for first with Bezos for “Most innovative business leader” in their most recent top 100 listicle

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

AlbieQuirky posted:

who told them that? Nintendo uncle or Canada girlfriend?

Nintendo girlfriend, obviously

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does the Ring have a supercharger halfway through?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

a second Tesla performs in-race refuelling

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1170264393801592832

2 days later and elon's changed his tune for some reason??

baka kaba has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Sep 7, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

baka kaba posted:

a second Tesla performs in-race refuelling

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1170264393801592832

2 days later and elon's changed his tune for some reason??

aw this is boring wtf

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I was curious as to what the current best time around the ring was for ANY Tesla and either I completely suck at Google (likely) or there hasn’t been one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I was curious as to what the current best time around the ring was for ANY Tesla and either I completely suck at Google (likely) or there hasn’t been one.

i don't think there's been an official tesla lap, but there's this

orange sky posted:

I mean, some guy already did 8:50. I don't know if it's the 20.6km lap, but it's not bad for an amateur, maybe a pro can cut a minute to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dphw4km60m4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Edit: oh dang, the article is months old, it probably came up then. Sorry

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/16/how-did-a-nissan-leaf-beat-a-tesla-model-s-in-a-race/

quote:

I know that not everybody has the time to watch an entire 30-minute video, so I’ll give a quick summary and tell you some key points in the video to skip to.

The video shows a new Nissan LEAF Plus, with the 62 kWh battery pack and a more powerful drive system than any previous LEAF. Over the course of 14 laps, it stays pretty close to last year’s winner: an older pre-facelift Tesla Model S with dual motors. Toward the end, the LEAF manages to pass the Model S and ends up winning the race.

We can see this in this race. In the beginning, the Tesla was not only walking away from the LEAF on straight portions of the track, but running away hard. In the first lap, the Tesla initially almost disappears from view. As the race progressed, the Tesla slowly lost its straight-line acceleration advantage. Between around 5:40 and the end of the race, the LEAF continued to dominate the turns while the Tesla had a harder and harder time escaping again in the straights. Finally, after 23 minutes, the LEAF managed to pass around the starting line, and the Tesla couldn’t catch up for the rest of the race.

There is one catch:

quote:

Before any fanboys start crying in the comments, I want to point something important out. This is a race between a 2019 Nissan EV and a 2014 or 2015 Tesla. Obviously, it wasn’t a fair fight at all from the standpoint of comparing the manufacturers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The thing I hate about cars is that, after 4-5 years of hard driving, the gas tank doesn't hold as much gas anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cojawfee posted:

The thing I hate about cars is that, after 4-5 years of hard driving, the gas tank doesn't hold as much gas anymore.

Now that they're electric, people think cars are like cellphones

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1170401244310949888?s=20

So, April

E: btw lol I'll give you one guess as to why he's planning it in November

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

orange sky posted:

So, April

No shave November?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

No shave November?

Q3 earnings

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange sky posted:

So, April

Cold air to help cool the battery.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

uvar posted:

There is one catch:

i love how they specifically point out a 2019 model s would beat a 2019 leaf, which somehow means tesla is so far ahead?

or the model s is much more expensive and performance focused?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Here's a good writeup on why Audi/Porsche/whoever don't have the range of Teslas with a breakdown of how big boy car manufacturers manage battery cooling and life

quote:

Take, for instance, the cooling system. The E-Tron individually monitors and cools individual battery pack modules to keep them between 74-95 degrees Fahrenheit. If one of them has a problem, you can also replace a module without having to mess with the whole pack.

quote:

But a 5kWh battery difference doesn’t nearly explain a 166-mile range deficit. Cooling, aerodynamics and weight obviously contribute, but the biggest factor is that Audi does not let you access the full battery. The E-Tron automatically walls off 12 percent of its battery, leaving you with an 83.6 kWh usable pack.

That’s because fully charging a battery isn’t good for its long-term health. Tesla acknowledges this, too, giving you the option of electronically limiting your charging. But because a lot of people want to minimize range anxiety, many customers don’t wall off their batteries.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Essentially, traditional manufacturers have customers that are less likely to accept drive unit failures, battery replacements and quality concerns that Tesla early adopters often write off as a small price to pay for a car from the future. And, without the sort of growth-is-everything valuation of a Silicon Valley tech firm, Volkswagen’s shareholders are less likely to tolerate stratospheric warranty costs.

they won't love their car

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A BATTERY PACK THAT ISN'T JUST A BAZINGA (a number equalling around 20,000) OF CHEAPLY MADE CELLS GLUED TOGETHER??

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the look on people’s faces when I explain it’s just vape batteries taped together, there’s no actual innovation or anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the innovation was making a bunch of vape batteries taped together into a usable power source for a vehicle, in a way that doesn't always result in combustion

it was pretty good, 15 years ago. now, less so.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bedshaped posted:

A BATTERY PACK THAT ISN'T JUST A BAZINGA (a number equalling around 20,000) OF CHEAPLY MADE CELLS GLUED TOGETHER??

I was going to ask what this was a picture of but the url explained it lmaoooooo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

motortrend did a teardown if you'd like to see more

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

It's a bit bazinga in places

quote:

Tesla nails the Silicon Valley electrical/electronics engineering better than any current competitor Munro has studied, and his team has scrutinized all the leaders. There’s also abundant and impressive innovation in this car.

quote:

Clearly Tesla employs a lot of savvy electrical engineers. Its electronic computing circuitry ranks somewhere between that of a cellphone and a Mars mission in terms of sophistication. “The controllers are much, much more advanced than anything we’ve seen, and they’re all in one location,”

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Martin Tripp's teardown was the best imo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jre posted:

the charging circuit is fine. Not that is does an innovative job or anything but a silicon valley tech company was able to design, and produce a very competent PCB, and populate it with components. They also designed a pretty nice ipad interface. These are the exact two things a silicon valley tech company would be expected to do well.

If they stuck to ipad interfaces and charging circuits for 3rd party vehicles Tesla would be a real competitor because they could have slowly siphoned auto manufacturing knowledge from EVERY car company they supplied.

Instead they went all in on their own garbage. bought the NUMMI plant, stripped it bare, and produce 1/8th the cars per month that GM and Toyota were able to produce there in 1995 (they were building 6000/week at one point)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI
This is how competent manufacturers build a production line, two competitors actually team up because they both realise the other has strengths they lack. Tesla will never have this humility with Musk at the helm lmao could you imagine? We haven't even seen manufacturers team up to make a killer EV yet.

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Sep 8, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree. They should have looked into what other niche companies do. Take a look at Williams F1 team. They used to be king of poo poo mountain but now they really suck. But they stay afloat because they have a whole engineering division where they create things for other companies to make money. Same thing for McLaren. They race and they sell cars, but they also have an applied technology division that sells their expertise to various companies. I'm sure there are plenty of really smart people at Tesla and Musk should be leveraging their expertise and selling things to other companies instead of putting all their eggs into making lovely cars.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

"Mars missions" do not have controllers all in one spot for redundancy and the computing power of a Mars mission is going to be significantly less than any individual processor inside a tesla. Saying its somewhere between a cell phone and a mars mission indiciates that they have no idea what goes into cell phones or mars missions.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cojawfee posted:

I agree. They should have looked into what other niche companies do. Take a look at Williams F1 team. They used to be king of poo poo mountain but now they really suck. But they stay afloat because they have a whole engineering division where they create things for other companies to make money. Same thing for McLaren. They race and they sell cars, but they also have an applied technology division that sells their expertise to various companies. I'm sure there are plenty of really smart people at Tesla and Musk should be leveraging their expertise and selling things to other companies instead of putting all their eggs into making lovely cars.

lmao at "should"

The investors demand Tesla to be just the way it is

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

lmao at "should"

The investors demand Tesla to be just the way it is

for a while the investors have demanded tesla do whatever elon wants. if he had wanted something sane like that, they might have went for it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

my cellphone's electronic computing circuitry ranks somewhere between that of a cellphone and a Mars mission in terms of sophistication

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Just found Elon's sockpuppet Twitter account even posts like him. (yeah, just a fanboy/paid for shill)

The user has been idle for years, then goes on a Tesla posting frenzy in the last few days.

https://twitter.com/italianmaster/with_replies

Jamsta has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Sep 8, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

https://electrek.co/2019/09/07/tesla-battery-cell-last-1-million-miles-robot-taxis/

"Tesla battery researcher unveils new cell that could last 1 million miles in ‘robot taxis’"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I don't understand the obsession with loving taxis of all possible modes of transportation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
it means you don’t have to drive nor interact with anyone else