Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

I "drive" a Tesla.
Wouldn't a Tesla being "driven" have avoided this? It seems like the exact kind of thing that humans tend to zone out on and AutoPilot might catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Or it might burst into flames. Who knows.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The whole point of the solid white line between carpool and regular lanes is so you can get in/out of it wherever you want vs having a double yellow and designated entrance/exit points. Phoenix vs LA for example. It's also common for a carpool lane to be a regular travel lane during non-peak times.

The real answer is that almost no one loving pays attention to what they're doing when driving.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Or it might burst into flames. Who knows.
Fair point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

The whole point of the solid white line between carpool and regular lanes is so you can get in/out of it wherever you want. Vs having a double yellow and designated entrance/exit points. Phoenix vs LA for example. It's also common for a carpool lane to be a regular travel lane during non-peak times.

The real answer is that almost no one loving pays attention to what they're doing when driving.

Common advice and driver's ed fucks this up real good, they teach people that they aren't allowed to cross a solid white line. I mean everyone does it anyways but it's occasionally one of those WELL ACTUALLY topics that pop up.

But if you hunt around what it really means is there's an elevated risk for changing lanes at that location (like say near a stop light) and drivers should be more attentive when changing lanes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Then there's Texas, where there's some kind of physical barrier between HOV and regular lanes.

... maybe because they've turned almost all the HOV lanes into toll lanes instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STR posted:

Then there's Texas, where there's some kind of physical barrier between HOV and regular lanes.

It's the same in Pittsburgh and it's a waste. The HOV lanes are so under utilized they should just be turned into express traffic lanes (the flow changes direction based on time of day). At least they open them up for everyone after 7pm and on the weekends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Krakkles posted:

Wouldn't a Tesla being "driven" have avoided this? It seems like the exact kind of thing that humans tend to zone out on and AutoPilot might catch.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9r4nS5EjjQ

Tesla autopilot would have assumed the Impala was an overpass and attempt to drive under it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

STR posted:

... maybe because they've turned almost all the HOV lanes into toll lanes instead.

Down the middle of the Katy freeway (I10) there are those collapsible plastic bollards that separate the hov/toll lanes from the main lanes. When people at work show up with the hood of their car all beat to gently caress, we know what did it. They're called whiskey dents.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loved that lane when I would travel back to San Antonio. 30 cents to get out of traffic? Don't mind if I do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

lol

Tesla autopilot would have assumed the Impala was an overpass and attempt to drive under it.

The description alone is worth a click.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

lol

The Tesla didn't drive into these, the driver did. The name "autopilot" is so loving stupid and bad and fuels this entire narrative. If they called it what it is, "lane assist with adaptive cruise control and object avoidance" (which is a mouthful, I admit), half of these "headlines" wouldn't be around. An S-Class can do most of the same poo poo, but they're not in the news every week for running into a loving construction cone. (Yes, I know this is what the description also says, but different platform that doesn't show that on SA so whatever).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Object avoidance is not Tesla's strong point, they are born with a strong attraction big red firetrucks.

It also doesn't help that you'll see Musk on TV in the car selling it as autopilot, despite whatever legalese is in the owner's manual. I'd comment on "full self driving," but that's just a way to get more money now for a feature that will never exist.

Then compare Cadillac's new system for making sure a driver is paying attention to the road versus Tesla's, and that's why you're seeing so many autopilot incidents.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Comments disabled and the poster of the video whining non-stop about being bashed. Perfect. Why?

quote:

After reading about 100 comments here, I see quite a few of you are probably feeling much better now that I have given you the chance to bash the poster....

This accident was my fault. I fell asleep at the wheel....

A Tesla driver on Autopilot should not allow oneself to be lured into a false sense of security and should maintain vigilance at all times.

Solid advice, sport, maybe practice what you preach next time and take your lumps for loving up. :thumbsup:

E: that video is why I don't trust this stuff. It works great up until it doesn't.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I love morons who display their fuckups to the world, then get defensive when called out on it. Nobody made him upload the video of him wrecking his expensive toy, but I guess any attention is good attention.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
AvE writes a poem to his ticking lifter

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Reassemble and hide surplus fasteners. Take it to a mechanic and proclaim "I tried nothing, and i'm all out of ideas."

My job summed up in two lines.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Take it to a mechanic and proclaim "I tried nothing, and i'm all out of ideas."

My job summed up in two lines.

Speaks to my soul.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I've never seen a youtube dashcam video that made me think dashcam owners are generally good drivers.

Not saying that videos that exonerate drivers don't exist, but 90% of YouTube "LOL bad drivers!!11" compilations are mostly made up of "Someone pulled out in front of me, better not touch the brakes and drive up their bumper. Heh, dumbass."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The latest Australian dash cam compilation (hell most of them) are a whole collection of
"something obviously going to happen"
5 seconds pass
"obvious thing happens"

driver reacts

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

The latest Australian dash cam compilation (hell most of them) are a whole collection of
"something obviously going to happen"
5 seconds pass
"obvious thing happens"

driver reacts

You forgot the screeching "you fucken oval office get hosed you fucken dumb oval office what kind of stupid fucken oval office can't fucken drive. gently caress! oval office!"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ili posted:

You forgot the screeching "you fucken oval office get hosed you fucken dumb oval office what kind of stupid fucken oval office can't fucken drive. gently caress! oval office!"

Don't dox me, bro

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

STR posted:

California has been doing this...

Cojawfee posted:

I loved that lane when I would travel back to San Antonio. 30 cents to get out of traffic? Don't mind if I do.

...but in California it's like $10+

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Previa_fun posted:

I've never seen a youtube dashcam video that made me think dashcam owners are generally good drivers.

Not saying that videos that exonerate drivers don't exist, but 90% of YouTube "LOL bad drivers!!11" compilations are mostly made up of "Someone pulled out in front of me, better not touch the brakes and drive up their bumper. Heh, dumbass."

Self selecting group of people who want to be YouTube famous and inherently understand they need more drama to make a video of driving exciting.

I'd be interested to see if having a dashcam effects how people drive in general though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
:wtc:

I've got some rebar, a stick welder, and know how a tie rod is supposed to work, but I'm too drat stubborn to buy an inner/outer tie rod assembly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's probably from a part of world where rebar and welding rods are all over the place but the people are poor and safety standards non-existent.

where could that be i wonder

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Alabama?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh, and somewhere the roads are so bad that they destroy your suspension components? Where someone will sell you a welder for $20 in illicit pharmaceuticals?

The answer is the American Rust Belt isn't it?

E:^gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Had to avoid a hurricane, no time to run to NAPA.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Garage 54 did coil springs out of rebar.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Garage 54 did coil springs out of rebar.

Did they heat treat them?

Even if they did, rebar doesn't generally have the right carbon content to harden enough to make a proper spring.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Did they heat treat them?

Even if they did, rebar doesn't generally have the right carbon content to harden enough to make a proper spring.

They heated them to bend them but not really to make them springy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2q2yw2XVlM&t=440s

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Then the answer would be "no, they won't work". Without adequate carbon content to allow them to harden, and heat treatment to actually harden them they won't be springs, they'll be bends.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It came from the OSHA thread:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
P-poke it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

With a .308 from about 200 yards

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Oh i wonder why his UJ exploded.

The mounting points for the carrier bearing were torn off and missing entirely.

He then asked if my company would pay for the repair. Umm, why the gently caress would a recovery company pay to fix your van? Ropey-rear end piece of poo poo scrap hauler Sprinter.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

Oh i wonder why his UJ exploded.

The mounting points for the carrier bearing were torn off and missing entirely.

He then asked if my company would pay for the repair. Umm, why the gently caress would a recovery company pay to fix your van? Ropey-rear end piece of poo poo scrap hauler Sprinter.

I definitely need more details on this! Did you guys tow him out of some crappy situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Astonishing Wang posted:

I definitely need more details on this! Did you guys tow him out of some crappy situation?

It was a beat to poo poo '07 Sprinter with a ropey cage body, severely overloaded with scrap. The UJ exploded as he pulled off a roundabout uphill. It must've been trashed for a long time, the cups were missing from the yokes, you can see the state of the carrier bearing.

That went on a flatbed. I drive an assistance van (Like AAA.) with a fold-out trailer so i can tow cars and small vans. Anything 4x4 or bigger goes on a truck.