Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fixed version:

Q01) Why did they decide to switch to Staggered Development? [02:37]
- Because it's an empty term that will make people spend more.

Q02) Can't they focus less on ships and more on profession mechanics and gameplay? Also, are there any updates on future professions? [09:23]
- No, because ships make money.

Q03) Why are long-standing bugs not being addressed in every patch? Some bugs haven't been fixed for over a year. [13:10]
- Because fixing bugs doesn't make fast money.

Q04) Why was the second Pillar Talk video not about Pillars? Is this an indicator that those Pillars have been abandoned and replaced by other goals? [18:00]
- Who cares, just say something so they keep pledging!

Q05) We used to get real design documents in the past that gave us at least a moderate glimpse of what a mechanic was, and how CIG is planning on it affecting gameplay. Can we please go back to getting these deep-dive documents into professions? [19:36]
Will they go back to releasing design documents, and if not, why? [43:07]
- No, because they found out people pledge anyway and it's cheaper, so more money!

Q06) What is the current status of Server-Side Object Container Streaming (SSOCS)? [21:10]
- It will be done eventually and it won't fix anything. Buy an Idris.

Q07) It's been said before that the servers are kind of at capacity now and they can't add any more larger locations until SSOCS is completed. We currently see microTech scheduled for 3.8 but not SSOCS. Why is that? [30:21]
- Because it will make people spend money.

Q08) How much is the implementation of various gameplay loops hindered by the lack of server-side improvements, such as SSOCS, Server Meshing, and the like? Will we need to wait to get those systems implemented before we can expect to see more expansive gameplay? [35:45]
- There won't ever be those gameloops, since they don't make enough money.

Q09) Will [Global] Persistence be the end of wipes? [38:28]
- No, because people would stop pledging.

Q10) What happened to the fuel gameplay feature that was recently removed from the Roadmap? [48:04]
- Got replaced by some ship you can buy.

Q11) Why do they not update some features on the Roadmap for weeks? [50:07]
- Too busy making new ships you can buy.

Q12) What's the current status of their Vulkan implementation? [51:56]
- Going perfect, if it makes you spend some dosh.

Q13) Once Squadron 42 is shipped, will the PU see the majority of developers who were working on Squadron 42 move over to the PU as their main focus? [54:22]
- Yes, if by PU you mean more released ships for sale.

Q14) Ship combat has several issues as stated in the top voted 3.6.1 feedback thread. Is there a team working on ship combat, and can we expect significant tuning soon? [55:47]
- No, because it doesn't make money.

Q15) Will there be remote logging outside of spaceships? With the advent of large, underground cave systems, as well as continued development of their planetary environments, what is their intent to allow Players to log out without having to constantly go back to their ship every time? [58:59]

Q16) Can Players have the ability to lock onto ground turrets? Guns do not converge properly if no target is selected. [1:00:15]
- No, because it doesn't make money (possibly: Yes, but broken, since we don't care - refer to point one)

Q17) CIG recently added 4.0 to the end of the SC Roadmap, with the changes they made last week. Some think that logically the patch number should increase from 3.9 to 3.10. With 4.0 on the Roadmap, should we expect a similarly larger leap in gameplay experience, as was seen with 2.0 or 3.0? [1:00:40]
- 4.0 is Jesus patch, you should buy more ships.

There, saved you lots of watching / reading.

E: Taxxe~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lmao, they have to have go/no-go meetings about releasing updates to an early alpha

They've completely hamstrung their own ability to produce game content with all the things they've promised, the backers are the customers and the alpha is the product, but of course jpgs and hopes and dreams are the real product.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Fixed version:

Q01) Why did they decide to switch to Staggered Development? [02:37]
- Because it's an empty term that will make people spend more.

Q02) Can't they focus less on ships and more on profession mechanics and gameplay? Also, are there any updates on future professions? [09:23]
- No, because ships make money.

Q03) Why are long-standing bugs not being addressed in every patch? Some bugs haven't been fixed for over a year. [13:10]
- Because fixing bugs doesn't make fast money.

Q04) Why was the second Pillar Talk video not about Pillars? Is this an indicator that those Pillars have been abandoned and replaced by other goals? [18:00]
- Who cares, just say something so they keep pledging!

Q05) We used to get real design documents in the past that gave us at least a moderate glimpse of what a mechanic was, and how CIG is planning on it affecting gameplay. Can we please go back to getting these deep-dive documents into professions? [19:36]
Will they go back to releasing design documents, and if not, why? [43:07]
- No, because they found out people pledge anyway and it's cheaper, so more money!

Q06) What is the current status of Server-Side Object Container Streaming (SSOCS)? [21:10]
- It will be done eventually and it won't fix anything. Buy an Idris.

Q07) It's been said before that the servers are kind of at capacity now and they can't add any more larger locations until SSOCS is completed. We currently see microTech scheduled for 3.8 but not SSOCS. Why is that? [30:21]
- Because it will make people spend money.

Q08) How much is the implementation of various gameplay loops hindered by the lack of server-side improvements, such as SSOCS, Server Meshing, and the like? Will we need to wait to get those systems implemented before we can expect to see more expansive gameplay? [35:45]
- There won't ever be those gameloops, since they don't make enough money.

Q09) Will [Global] Persistence be the end of wipes? [38:28]
- No, because people would stop pledging.

Q10) What happened to the fuel gameplay feature that was recently removed from the Roadmap? [48:04]
- Got replaced by some ship you can buy.

Q11) Why do they not update some features on the Roadmap for weeks? [50:07]
- Too busy making new ships you can buy.

Q12) What's the current status of their Vulkan implementation? [51:56]
- Going perfect, if it makes you spend some dosh.

Q13) Once Squadron 42 is shipped, will the PU see the majority of developers who were working on Squadron 42 move over to the PU as their main focus? [54:22]
- Yes, if by PU you mean more released ships for sale.

Q14) Ship combat has several issues as stated in the top voted 3.6.1 feedback thread. Is there a team working on ship combat, and can we expect significant tuning soon? [55:47]

Q15) Will there be remote logging outside of spaceships? With the advent of large, underground cave systems, as well as continued development of their planetary environments, what is their intent to allow Players to log out without having to constantly go back to their ship every time? [58:59]

Q16) Can Players have the ability to lock onto ground turrets? Guns do not converge properly if no target is selected. [1:00:15]
- No, because it doesn't make money (possibly: Yes, but broken, since we don't care - refer to point one)

Q17) CIG recently added 4.0 to the end of the SC Roadmap, with the changes they made last week. Some think that logically the patch number should increase from 3.9 to 3.10. With 4.0 on the Roadmap, should we expect a similarly larger leap in gameplay experience, as was seen with 2.0 or 3.0? [1:00:40]
- 4.0 is Jesus patch, you should buy more ships.

There, saved you lots of watching / reading.

:five::perfect::discourse::effort:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Star posted:

What stuck out to me was what one citizen quoted in that thread

Like, what the hell does that even mean? Especially the mess part...

The way I read it, and I could be wrong, was that normally developers will make a game with a bunch of ideas and throw them together into an alpha. Then to get to beta they trim down what doesn't work, or what isn't balanced, or makes sense for the game they're trying to make. But since SC has had a playable alpha, and because they're selling ships based on gameplay loops they don't have- they can't really do that "trim down" phase...

If they decided land claims and customizable bases just weren't doable, well poo poo, they've already hyped people up and sold them ships and land claims for it...

If they decided, I dunno- passenger ships just didn't fit in with their new, trimmed-down vision of the game- same problem. (assuming they sat down and actually finalized what kind of game they wanted to make...)

Repeat for pets, drink mixing, tractor beams, ship customization, ship launched snub fighters, "holo chess", swimming, automated drones, sandworms, ore refining, farming, NPC unloading of cargo, procedural weather, procedural wildlife, showering, pooping, prisons, ship aging, wear and tear, racing, plastic surgery, space whales, artifact hunting, player run medical facilities, ship decals, power armor, character aging, pirate countermeasures, player designed outfits, EVA ship repair, engine tuning, ship boarding, docking ships in ships, aliens, stealth takedowns, hiring NPCs, hull breaches, drop-in COOP play, mod tools, ship interior decorations, private servers, modular ships, crafting, 100+ solar systems, enough people in a server to actually fill one of the capitol ships they've sold...

All the feature creep and bloat and unnecessary crap that they not only promised, but started selling. Not like I feel bad for them, they dug themselves this hole. But it's basically fraud if they sell a ship that makes planet bound outposts, and then later they say "well, we can't do outposts.."

TL:DR: they're screwed...

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 8, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

trucutru posted:

This exploit pushes people to buy more ships (so that you can swap their exclusive components to better chariots) so, um, yeah, I bet its very high on the fixing list.

But they sell guns and missiles and all that other poo poo too!

(None of it matters, like 100 people play star citizen the currently-existing alpha 'playable universe'. They mostly care about the remaining people who play star citizen the jpeg-collecting ARG.)

Raskolnikov posted:

I missed this before, amazing other than comparing Jennifer Connelly to your average start citizen backer (this breaks my gif immersion!)

I think the gif also implies that goons are David Bowie, which is equally crazy.

Goons have bulges in significantly different Areas.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The way I read it, and I could be wrong, was that normally developers will make a game with a bunch of ideas and throw them together into an alpha. Then to get to beta they trim down what doesn't work, or what isn't balanced, or makes sense for the game they're trying to make. But since SC has had a playable alpha, and because they're selling ships based on gameplay loops they don't have- they can't really do that "trim down" phase...

If they decided land claims and customizable bases just weren't doable, well poo poo, they've already hyped people up and sold them ships and land claims for it...

If they decided, I dunno- passenger ships just didn't fit in with their new, trimmed-down vision of the game- same problem. (assuming they sat down and actually finalized what kind of game they wanted to make...)

Repeat for pets, drink mixing, tractor beams, ship customization, ship launched snub fighters, "holo chess", swimming, automated drones, sandworms, ore refining, farming, NPC unloading of cargo, procedural weather, procedural wildlife, showering, pooping, prisons, ship aging, wear and tear, racing, plastic surgery, space whales, artifact hunting, player run medical facilities, ship decals, power armor, character aging, pirate countermeasures, player designed outfits, EVA ship repair, engine tuning, ship boarding, docking ships in ships, aliens, stealth takedowns, hiring NPCs, hull breaches, drop-in COOP play, mod tools, ship interior decorations, private servers, modular ships, crafting, 100+ solar systems, enough people in a server to actually fill one of the capitol ships they've sold...

All the feature creep and bloat and unnecessary crap that they not only promised, but started selling. Not like I feel bad for them, they dug themselves this hole. But it's basically fraud if they sell a ship that makes planet bound outposts, and then later they say "well, we can't do outposts.."

TL:DR: they're screwed...

We paid them for the attempt.

Chris Roberts - sorry we did everything we could! *sails away on yacht leaking $100 bills into the ocean*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

But they sell guns and missiles and all that other poo poo too!

Not the exclusive stuff! Want to put four repeating turbo hyper lasers in your 600i? Well, you need to buy four gladiator ships.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skeletors_condom posted:

Yeah but cutt88 (I am assuming that's the dude from oneangrygamer) is not representative of the wider SC fanboy population. In general, oneangrygamer is trash; it's not something any normal person ("gamer" or a person who plays video games) would approach seriously. SC fanboys care about "fidelity," crobo's word salad and other BS, not the ethnostate.

Alt-righters don't talk about pipelines and "the BDSSE." They are not into to some nerdy video game BS.

Angry white gamer dudes are literally one of the groups that the alt-right targets because they're easy marks for that kind of BS. They aren't all the alt-right consists of, but they're absolutely one of their targets for recruiting.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are they still doing that thing where when a patch comes out, it basically redownloads the entire game from scratch?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

Yeah I had a ludicrously long scroll through their public history. They seem to be $1k+ into SC, so they qualify to have been at the exclusive ship pimping. Doesn't mean it's definitely true, they could still be on a troll there. But I like to think it's true, for sure :allears:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Regarding Newsweek:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Oh, Blobs. Any year of CI~G development needs lots of explaining.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

Sandi worked for Herbalife, so the best salesperson since she was a very small girl is probably not only responsible for Chris's "you gotta try these pills," but also the MLM mind-control approach Star Citizen took on. Really, between Chris as godhead, Sandi knowing the ins and outs of psychological manipulation, Ben having a keen eye for what would hook the backers, and Ortwin knowing how to dodge the legal ramifications of the above, they really did put together a hell of a grift.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

they really did put together a hell of a grift.
You're doing that thing where you start rationalizing them as geniuses since they got you earlier in development

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Star posted:

What stuck out to me was what one citizen quoted in that thread

Like, what the hell does that even mean? Especially the mess part...

It’s lies and bullshit to convince backers that Star Citizen is not in fact a colossal clusterfuck being helmed by people who couldn’t manage their way out of a wet paper bag, but instead revolutionary and doing it Better which takes time and money so buy an Idris.

Just to clairfy: that’s not how games (or software in general) is made. Like, the opposite actually. But literally how Star Citizen is made, amusingly...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

You're doing that thing where you start rationalizing them as geniuses since they got you earlier in development

I will not deny it. But I'll say this: Chris deserves no credit, Ben did have some idea about ships, Sandi got involved after I dipped out. So I backed early probably based more on Ben's ideas than any other reason. I feel grief.

I still think the grift was an accident though.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joe Blobers, defender of star citizen in every comments section of every article about star citizen.

Thats quite literally true by the way. If an article about star citizen has a place for comments, he appears to defend it and starts replying to everyone who says bad things about the game, chris roberts, etc.

He wholeheartedly believes stuff like 'NPCS and players ingame will be completely indistinguishable!' that CIG poo poo out.

I think my favorite moment is a recent comment chain where Joe used that defense, and someone responded with something like 'so are the npc ships going to insult me and call me slurs in chat after I get killed by one of them?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

I still think the grift was an accident though.
Yeah there's some sparks of above-average but it's all down to luck and accident. A happy convergence that carried people in the moment and has enough momentum to keep going.

At least you didn't do the "But you see, Chris has charisma" thing that people in the old thread would do.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Among the most depressing things about this tire fire is the sad knowledge that every time CIG comes up with another made-up term to excuse their ineptitude, I am crushed by the sickening and heartbreaking truth that the backers will begin to parrot it like the good little cult members they are. The most recent example I can think of was when CIG first used the term "Tier-0," and when I read that my heart sunk because I knew backers would grasp it like a drowning man and add it to their considerable excuse lexicon, and I think less than an hour passed before I saw the term used by the faithful.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah there's some sparks of above-average but it's all down to luck and accident. A happy convergence that carried people in the moment and has enough momentum to keep going.

At least you didn't do the "But you see, Chris has charisma" thing that people in the old thread would do.

LOL never. I backed despite Chris. I knew he was a tool, but very early on there were some promising demos and actual game devs involved. It basically looked and felt a bit like Freelancer 2013 so I figured what the gently caress, here's $45. I played the "fly out of an asteroid base" tutorial and it all worked first try (try to believe that seeing it today).

When the PU was announced I hopped in and immediately regretted everything, and saw what this actually was, and what it would eventually fail to become.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Der Shovel posted:

It’s lies and bullshit to convince backers that Star Citizen is not in fact a colossal clusterfuck being helmed by people who couldn’t manage their way out of a wet paper bag, but instead revolutionary and doing it Better which takes time and money so buy an Idris.

Just to clairfy: that’s not how games (or software in general) is made. Like, the opposite actually. But literally how Star Citizen is made, amusingly...

There is an element of truth that if you're trying to keep your game playable for an audience while in prototype / alpha / early access / whatever, it does drastically slow development. Even the 100% successful good games that got made with this model, when you look at the finished product and how long it took to produce it's pretty obvious that they took years more time than a comparable game. The exceptions have been things that were well into development when they went up for early access (ex dead cells).

Not that this is any excuse for star citizen, their poo poo would be hosed no matter what style of access they used.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:swoon:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is this the fourth or fifth megathread about the incredbile cultural experience of being grifted by star citizen?

either way, bookmarked for posterity

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alf_pogs posted:

is this the fourth or fifth megathread about the incredbile cultural experience of being grifted by star citizen?

either way, bookmarked for posterity

According to the OP its the 8th

that's how long this has gone on

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://www.twitch.tv/burkeblack/clip/EnjoyableSecretiveGoosePastaThat

Shortly after the clip: "when this game releases it'll dominate! It'll kill GTA roleplay servers! Unless it won't have roleplay servers..." :ohdear:

Edit: watching the stream some more, it's like watching disappointed-realization in real time. Burke keeps making claims like "I can't wait until the first solar system is completed later this year" then gets corrected in chat, with a resigned "oh, thanks".

Quavers fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 9, 2019

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sample_text posted:

Also, here is a very clear to the point definition of where the "sunk cost" comes from:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477657612?t=32m7s

*drinks from empty cup to crush tears*

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/burkeblack/clip/EnjoyableSecretiveGoosePastaThat

Shortly after the clip: "when this game releases it'll dominate! It'll kill GTA roleplay servers! Unless it won't have roleplay servers..." :ohdear:

Edit: watching the stream some more, it's like watching disappointed-realization in real time. Burke keeps making claims like "I can't wait until the first solar system is completed later this year" then gets corrected in chat, with a resigned "oh, thanks".

Burke is just a big dreaming child in adult body. Nothing wrong with that, but it's sad to see CI capitalize on him. I remember him being awed by simple stuff like Elite's procgen galaxy and it's literally visible how these people can't grasp how simple that stuff is today with proper programmers (when I opened the map, I was more like: Neat, wonder how they did it, I'd do this and this and this...) and keep being captivated by even simpler CI stuff (not even gameplay, goddamn FMVs as promos these days).

Mentioned video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiDjDQHB6c

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 9, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

what are the little grey ships next to the forums names, do they show what you’ve bought

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

what are the little grey ships next to the forums names, do they show what you’ve bought

custom upvote and downvote buttons

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what game is this guy playing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

LOL never. I backed despite Chris. I knew he was a tool, but very early on there were some promising demos and actual game devs involved. It basically looked and felt a bit like Freelancer 2013 so I figured what the gently caress, here's $45. I played the "fly out of an asteroid base" tutorial and it all worked first try (try to believe that seeing it today).

When the PU was announced I hopped in and immediately regretted everything, and saw what this actually was, and what it would eventually fail to become.

I paid just over fifty bucks for another Wing Commander.

What i’ve gotten can be best described as ‘very, very, very meta’. The best and worst money I’ve ever spent.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hav posted:

The best and worst money I’ve ever spent.

Schrodinger's pledge?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So "SSOCS" is the latest buzzword they've thrown out there to continue milking idiot whales?

It'd be amazing to see a list of all the terms they've either invented or renamed something else to in order to have a fresh excuse for endless delays

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So "SSOCS" is the latest buzzword they've thrown out there to continue milking idiot whales?

It'd be amazing to see a list of all the terms they've either invented or renamed something else to in order to have a fresh excuse for endless delays

Looks like the new bullshit, totally not made up technology is:

server to client actor networking

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

From what I can tell it's something they've mentioned a few times as a technology they need to complete the game, but they've barely mentioned it since and it's not on the roadmap, so more than likely it's progressing really badly. But the fans are eternally convinced it's always just around the corner and going to save the game. CIG has said nothing to either confirm or contradict this, probably because that would only upset the situation out of their advantage.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

From what I can tell it's something they've mentioned a few times as a technology they need to complete the game, but they've barely mentioned it since and it's not on the roadmap, so more than likely it's progressing really badly. But the fans are eternally convinced it's always just around the corner and going to save the game. CIG has said nothing to either confirm or contradict this.

Nah, they mention SSOCS (Server Side Object Container Streaming) frequently, as is their current to-go excuse to why they cannot add new poo poo.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Before that it was regular old Object Container Streaming that was going to save the game right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Before that it was regular old Object Container Streaming that was going to save the game right?

And before, it was Network Bind Culling. Before that, it was Serialized Variables.

Render To Texture was in there for a bit, but it turned that people had been doing holograms in games for a while.

Server Meshing is the true grail. Just after they figure up how to beowulf EC2 instances into Skynet.