Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fatherboxx posted:

So we have around us a dude from legacy play group who started playing Standard with Bant Scapeshift, grinded it in arena to mythic while cursing aggro elemental decks, insists that it is the first time he has been interested in standard since the days of Psychatog, says that Wizards were idiots for banning Marvel and Copycat and that there have not been truly good combo decks in Standard since Urza's Saga.

...are all legacy players like that?

lol what, Heartbeat Combo was the best deck in Standard for a time, it was just nearly impossible to play perfectly.

also project x, dragonstorm, splinter twin (with or without being merged with caw blade), rally, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

lol what, Heartbeat Combo was the best deck in Standard for a time, it was just nearly impossible to play perfectly.

also project x, dragonstorm, splinter twin (with or without being merged with caw blade), rally, etc.

"None of those were good combo decks tho :smug:"

- this guy, probably.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also nexus lol

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I finished reading the Eldraine novel

Oko wants to get the elves to kill the high king (Will and Rowan's dad) to start a war between the elves and humans, binds Garruk with a spell to get him to do what he wants
Will saves Garruk from drowning, then Garruk gets his curse lifted by some ancient elvish cauldron
Oko kills the king who he'd turned into a stag, then planeswalks away before he can get caught
The king gets revived thanks to some bullshit involving a sword
Will and Rowan spark after they learn that their mom was a witch who'd put their dad under a spell
Garruk wants to go after Oko, but decides to first go make sure Will and Rowan are safe

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
that sure is a pile of plot points that may or may not equal a cohesive whole

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How many planeswalkers are chasing after other planeswalkers now?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GrandpaPants posted:

How many planeswalkers are chasing after other planeswalkers now?
*planeswalkers all Scooby-Dooing after each other through a hall of portal mirrors, with every combination of walkers chasing each other, including duplicated 'walkers sometimes, while Benny Hill music plays*

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oceanbound posted:

I finished reading the Eldraine novel

How is the writing? Did you enjoy it?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Elyv posted:

How is the writing? Did you enjoy it?

It's pretty generic and a few sentences are clunkers but overall it's fine I guess. Don't think it would be very interesting if not for the Magic setting.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Heartbeat wasn’t a clear best deck for long - Ghost Husk was at minimum a very close rival once bw adapted into that from Hand in Hand and Ghost Dad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22997&d=357661&f=MO

Lots of Whirza bouncing around

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the reason someone like that is infecting your playgroup is that since wrenn and six legacy is now like 90% fair incremental value delver decks with four colors

Does that mean it's a bad time to build super budget legacy burn? My friends said to just take a modified modern deck, but my modern decks are barely worth it for modern.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ilmucche posted:

Does that mean it's a bad time to build super budget legacy burn? My friends said to just take a modified modern deck, but my modern decks are barely worth it for modern.

Burn gets significantly worse in a format where fetching a dual land costs 1 life instead of 3. I don't think it's a real deck in Legacy the same way it is in Modern.

Edit: Burn also doesn't get to do much in the way of sweet Legacy-specific mechanics, so it's going to feel less like playing Legacy and more like having Legacy done to you.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 8, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22996&d=357649&f=LE

Legacy burn is already a budget deck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I suddenly recall the Legacy deck flowchart from 2014 and its Burn sequence:

"Why do you want to play Legacy?"
|
V
"I just got enough money to play!"
|
V
"Did you really?"
|
V
"No"
|
V
[[Burn]]

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Does anyone have any experience with blue black mill in their playgroups?

I’ve watched some videos on YouTube and found some decks online, it looks like a lot of fun and now that graveyards aren’t an extension of the hand you can safely put things in your opponents graveyard.

It’s basically a burn deck with a mission briefing - archive trap/glimpse the unthinkable combo for the big mills. Schieming symmetry seems prefect for this because I can just mill the card away or wait for them to Untap with mesmeric orb in play the next turn

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The American Dream posted:

I’ve watched some videos on YouTube and found some decks online, it looks like a lot of fun and now that graveyards aren’t an extension of the hand you can safely put things in your opponents graveyard.

It’s basically a burn deck with a mission briefing - archive trap/glimpse the unthinkable combo for the big mills. Schieming symmetry seems prefect for this because I can just mill the card away or wait for them to Untap with mesmeric orb in play the next turn

I can hear the furious typing now from the mill guy (who owns)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hello.

I haven't had a ton of time to play it lately but people are excited about Mill for the first time in a while, due to fast GY decks getting kneecapped and the format skewing a little slower/midrangey as a result (plus everyone tutoring up cards with SFM). I do think the deck is still one good 1 or 2 CMC mill spell away from being truly viable, but you can definitely steal matches at FNM or MTGO leagues. What would you like to know?

E: This is my current list but I am giving strong consideration to going -1 Bridge -1 Ashiok -2 Collective Brutality and +1 Mesmeric Orb +3 Manic Scribe next time I make it out. Would like to get a second CoBru in the board to make up for it but I keep running into Dreadhorde Arcanist locally.

Time posted:

I can hear the furious typing now from the mill guy (who owns)

Thank you for your support friend!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 8, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

You're not wrong, but $600+ as a budget deck is still extremely OOF.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

To be fair the fetches and the karakases are nowhere near essential and that's probably more than half the price

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

To be fair the fetches and the karakases are nowhere near essential and that's probably more than half the price

Also the primary reason to have the fetches to begin with is for a card that is just awful right now in a world dominated by W6

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ilmucche posted:

Patrick Sullivan went 3-2 with burn in 2 magic leagues recently and said he must be the greatest player of all time, because the deck is really terrible right now

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

That’s ten fetches and 3 karakas. (Karakas optional)

And if you’re updating from modern burn you probably already have the fetches

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

C-Euro posted:

Hello.

I haven't had a ton of time to play it lately but people are excited about Mill for the first time in a while, due to fast GY decks getting kneecapped and the format skewing a little slower/midrangey as a result (plus everyone tutoring up cards with SFM). I do think the deck is still one good 1 or 2 CMC mill spell away from being truly viable, but you can definitely steal matches at FNM or MTGO leagues. What would you like to know?

E: This is my current list but I am giving strong consideration to going -1 Bridge -1 Ashiok -2 Collective Brutality and +1 Mesmeric Orb +3 Manic Scribe next time I make it out. Would like to get a second CoBru in the board to make up for it but I keep running into Dreadhorde Arcanist locally.

Thank you for your support friend!

Does scheming symmetry work?

Any mill spells not seeing play that could work like the blue 5 for 1 or 7 for 2?

Does Mind Funeral work? How often do you get less then 10 cards?

Is extirpate a good budget alternative for surgical extraction?

Should I run 4 shelldock isles?

Do I run war Ashiok in the sideboard?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

You want fetches for searing blaze as well

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toshimo posted:

imagine playing the most boring deck in modern and then deciding: i want to pay half a grand to play the same poo poo against better decks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Does scheming symmetry work?

Any mill spells not seeing play that could work like the blue 5 for 1 or 7 for 2?

Does Mind Funeral work? How often do you get less then 10 cards?

Is extirpate a good budget alternative for surgical extraction?

Should I run 4 shelldock isles?

Do I run war Ashiok in the sideboard?

1. It's promising. It's inherent card disadvantage but having several ways to get rid of whatever your opponent tutored is handy. Trap + Symmetry in your opener lets you ding them for 13 and get another Trap for their turn 2/3/whatever fetchland. Some people are running 4 copies and doing a tutor package but I don't think I want more than 3.

2. There's a few borderline mill spells but Fraying Sanity and Mind Funeral are the closest to playable right now. Unfortunately they're too slow and too inconsistent respectively. Please don't run Tome Scour or Mind Sculpt except for budget reasons.

3. Related to the above, a Mind Funeral for >15 cards might win you the game, but a Mind Funeral for 8 or 9 will definitely lose you the game. There was a time when it might have been good where a lot of the top decks were running 18-20 lands (Izzet Phoenix, Tron, GDS, Hardened Scales etc.) but that meta has sadly passed.

3. Extirpate is a good sub for Surgical and is especially good if you see a lot of UW Control. Surgical is still better and will hopefully go down a bit in price.

4. God no. The fact that Shelldock always comes into play tapped can slow your clock down a lot and it's a nice target for land destruction. Most people run 2 but I've been running 1 for a while as I don't like to see it in my opening hand.

5. WAR Ashiok is a good closer, I've been running 1 maindeck for a little while. The fact that it exiles your opponent's GY each time you activate it is a huge bummer as your "reach" cards like Crypt Incursion and Visions of Beyond use the opponent's GY as a resource, so you typically don't want to start activating it until you've already cast a big Incursion or gotten a draw-3 with Visions (note that Visions becomes a draw-3 if ANY graveyard has 20+ cards, so keep an eye on your yard too!). The "opponents can't search" clause is handy too as this shut offs closers like Scapeshift and Nahiri the Harbinger, while still making them search from your own Scheming Symmetry and Field of Ruin.

E: If you want to get extra spicy some people are playing around with splashing a third color, either green for Assassin's Trophy or white for Path + more SB options.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 8, 2019

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What kind of removal package should I go with. Seems like 5-6 fatal push / inquisition of kozleak is standard.

I forgot that Symmerty and field of ruins activate archive trap. That makes ashiok a lot better. And you can always cycle the visions of beyond for a blue.

The one card I might wait on getting is mesmeric orb at the end until I know if the December set I assume they’ll make is a reprint set. If it gets reprinted it drops to sub $10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My removal right now it
3 Fatal Push
2 Collective Brutality
1 Murderous Cut
but the Brutalities haven't been great for me lately and might get cut soon. CoBru takes a huge steamy dump on Burn so if there's a lot of that around I'd keep them. I was running 3 Inquisition for a while but dropped them for Scheming Symmetry, though some amount of SB discard makes sense (IoK, CoBru, Thoughtseize)

I think Orb is a little tricky to sell as a reprint, it has some weird timing quirks due to happening on the untap step and it's not really a card that's fondly remembered by many players. But it's really good and borderline required for the deck even if it's a non-bo with Scheming Symmetry (and a sort of non-bo with Mission Briefing). You'll find in general that the static mill effects like Orb and Hedron Crab will take over games if left alone, which is why I'm curious to try out Manic Scribe which to me has always felt like a "bubble" card for the deck.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 8, 2019

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

... it has some weird timing quirks due to happening on the untap step...
Just a reminder that while the trigger untaps may occur during the untap step, each trigger is placed on the stack during the next time any player would get priority (during the upkeep, at the same time as all "beginning of upkeep" effects, in any order).

:ninja: inb4 the edit, I suppose.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

It hasn’t been officially previewed but in the pre-recorded video WOTC streamed on Wednesday MaRo said that Will and Rowan were going to be the first dual character planeswalker card and even named dropped “The Royal Scions”. The card was posted two or so hours before he stream.

Well, I still think it looks stupid, and its veracity will never change that. :colbert:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So, after you hit Mastery level 72, there are just no more rewards unless you buy the loot box thing with the cat? That's real lovely.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mat Cauthon posted:

So, after you hit Mastery level 72, there are just no more rewards unless you buy the loot box thing with the cat? That's real lovely.

it's the same amount of free stuff you got before mastery, so it's actually extremely not lovely.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Just print a "fixed" orb. Nobody is going to want to run 8 orbs... I think.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tibalt posted:

:orb:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TIL that we also have a :crab: emote

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tibalt posted:

gently caress yeah i would run 8 orbs its hard to remove and doesn't get shut off by Stone/Ouphe.

Well 6 totally, 8 maybe. Multiple orbs gets really out of hand.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lone Goat posted:

it's the same amount of free stuff you got before mastery, so it's actually extremely not lovely.
Levelling up without receiving a reward is giving me existential angst

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

C-Euro posted:

TIL that we also have a :crab: emote

crabs only man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan