Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Someone open up the GBS thread again so I can get some quality shitposting in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
K2, the mountain so remote the locals didn't even give it a name :psyduck:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

k2 isn't going to put up with this poo poo and everyone there who climbed everest and thought that now that they've conquered it they can take on anything is going to experience the slow, horrible realization that it is, comparatively, the Nice Mountain

The dudes that got catapulted into the sky would take issue with your definition of 'slow' if they weren't still being mulched into undifferentiated parts at the base of the mountain.

Jr. posted:

It game-overs the second you stop for a photo

Saw 27 new posts and man, thread didn't disappoint. EVEREST IS CANCELLED the lit new mountain for dentists is K2, it will become safer because of the pile of dead rich people softening your fall at the bottom.

Lot of crevasses to fill up first. 150 is barely going to cover it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Old Boot posted:

The dudes that got catapulted into the sky would take issue with your definition of 'slow' if they weren't still being mulched into undifferentiated parts at the base of the mountain.
which one was this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

K2, the mountain so remote the locals didn't even give it a name :psyduck:

quote:

... just the bare bones of a name, all rock and ice and storm and abyss. It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars. It has the nakedness of the world before the first man – or of the cindered planet after the last.

I've been slowly rereading At The Mountains Of Madness and thinking about this thread off and on. Sometimes I get a little regretful that Antarctica doesn't have a massive 6000m plateau ringed with disgustingly huge 10km high mountains. gently caress, you'd need a pressure suit to climb those.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Phy posted:

I've been slowly rereading At The Mountains Of Madness and thinking about this thread off and on. Sometimes I get a little regretful that Antarctica doesn't have a massive 6000m plateau ringed with disgustingly huge 10km high mountains. gently caress, you'd need a pressure suit to climb those.

Are you tired of the word "cyclopean" yet? Because that was my take away from that read.

Yeah, if that range did exist there'd be a shitton more corpses from the Everest tourists AND the Antarctica tourists. Between that and everything melting, it'd bound to be way more trouble than in the story.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the thing about k2 is that you absolutely need serious climbing skills just to get started. Nobody is gonna get three sherpas to fix their ropes and haul all their oxygen and then just walk across some ladders and take a steep hike. My expectation is a huge percentage of those people trying k2 are just not going to get very far and will have to turn back because their sheer oxygen-deprived bad decision making "determination to succeed" is not going to magically gift them with the ability to make the technical ascents.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

which one was this

This guy

2008 K2 Disaster posted:

Several people later indicated Baig may have been suffering from high altitude sickness, since he had displayed questionable behaviour in abseiling down the Bottleneck. Sträng also noticed that Baig was incoherent, first offering to help in the rescue, later refusing to help, then returning moments later to assist them again. Baig lost his footing and bumped into Sträng, who then urged him to let go of the rope attached to Mandić's harness, before all four climbers would be dragged down. Baig finally let go of the rope, but to Sträng's and the others' surprise, he did not try to stop his slide by using the self-arrest technique, which has about a 50% chance of arresting a fall, and Baig fell to his death.

'Sky' seems a relative term at that elevation.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Old Boot posted:

This guy

'Sky' seems a relative term at that elevation.

I assumed you meant Wojciech Wróż, who slid off the end of a fixed rope in 1986... but basically there are enough catapult-ees that it's possible to confuse them. You'd think the fact that multiple people have just yeeted off the mountain would deter amateur climbers, but no.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm surprised there aren't more people wanting to entomb themselves at the peak

like intentionally

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more people wanting to entomb themselves at the peak

like intentionally

See, turning the world’s tallest mountain into a shrine to yourself would be something comprehensible to do with your ill-gotten millions. Paying for the privilege of trudging through a pile of frozen poo poo and then dying because you got stuck in line is idiocy.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Best suicide ever for rich people. Pay someone to take you as far as you can go up Everest, then find a nice place to be a landmark for future stupid rich people climbing the mountain and go to sleep.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a mountain of skulls to make everest yet higher

the death zone bar gets harder to clear, the skulls pile up

I mean the nepalese will probably have to boil them to get the flesh off

yeah it's late

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Alan Smithee posted:

a mountain of skulls to make everest yet higher

the death zone bar gets harder to clear, the skulls pile up

I mean the nepalese will probably have to boil them to get the flesh off

yeah it's late

Instead of taking the discarded oxygen bottles off the mountain, carry them further up, and add them to the mountain's height :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So yeah update from K2 sounds like most everyone gave up and went home except the special forces guy who's hellbent on climbing all 14 8000ers in a year, and a couple lunatics with no O2. They made Camp 4 a few hours ago.

https://explorersweb.com/2019/07/22/purba-launches-new-k2-push-but-how-risky-is-it/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

shame on an IGA posted:

So yeah update from K2 sounds like most everyone gave up and went home except the special forces guy who's hellbent on climbing all 14 8000ers in a year, and a couple lunatics with no O2. They made Camp 4 a few hours ago.

https://explorersweb.com/2019/07/22/purba-launches-new-k2-push-but-how-risky-is-it/

haha they're planning to poo poo ladders and bolts all over K2 as well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

So are they dead yet or what?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PostNouveau posted:

So are they dead yet or what?

Rinky-dink ink guy might be getting in an early-morning summit at this very second, if I google did my K2 time zone conversion correctly :effort:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

haha they're planning to poo poo ladders and bolts all over K2 as well

They should save time on the descent by installing a big slide.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blood for the mountain god

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PittTheElder posted:

They should save time on the descent by installing a big slide.

honestly I think that's the big appeal of the parachuting off the top of the mountain approach.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

So yeah update from K2 sounds like most everyone gave up and went home

Sounds like my kind of mountaineering, get to the base of the mountain, look up say gee that looks like a long way and lots of hard work. Give up and go home. Still spend the next several years talking about how I almost climbed K2 but had to turn back before reaching the summit.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Whoops double post.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/nimsdai/status/1153868494515113985

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no you fools!!! now the mountain will come for us all

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wasabi the J posted:

honestly I think that's the big appeal of the parachuting off the top of the mountain approach.

i wonder how far you'd get if you somehow basejumped off everest while the jet stream was blasting the summit. would you just get deposited somewhere in the pacific

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i wonder how far you'd get if you somehow basejumped off everest while the jet stream was blasting the summit. would you just get deposited somewhere in the pacific

Not so much a question of how far you'd get but whether you made it in one piece.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Wow, they even made it back down and are attempting Broad Peak next...

https://twitter.com/nimsdai/status/1154063404228890624

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Mountain climbers are loving crazy

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"hmm, why yes, i think i 'd like to push my luck some more" - mountain clamorers

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Peter Singer stepped in to argue that it's dumb and morally wrong to climb Mt. Everest

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

I think it is a stretch to say it is morally wrong to climb a mountain, as much as I hate 99% of the rich people who climb the mountain; however, it is certainly morally wrong to have the attitude of, “that guy needs help? gently caress that guy, I am here to summit.”

I am a Marxist so I hate to sound like I am defending rich douche nozzles, but his argument that the money to climb could have saved a life of donated to charity is rather thin. You could say that about anything—if you never went to a single movie your entire life and instead donated all that money to charity—or even your profession...

Sure I could have saved more lives if I just joined the peace corps, and lived in the third world for no money my whole life, gently caress everything and everyone else I would have to give up; and that includes his tenures Princeton rear end sitting in the ivory tower, writing articles that he can talk about at his academic cocktail parties.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

ZombieLenin posted:

I think it is a stretch to say it is morally wrong to climb a mountain, as much as I hate 99% of the rich people who climb the mountain; however, it is certainly morally wrong to have the attitude of, “that guy needs help? gently caress that guy, I am here to summit.”

I am a Marxist so I hate to sound like I am defending rich douche nozzles, but his argument that the money to climb could have saved a life of donated to charity is rather thin. You could say that about anything—if you never went to a single movie your entire life and instead donated all that money to charity—or even your profession...

Sure I could have saved more lives if I just joined the peace corps, and lived in the third world for no money my whole life, gently caress everything and everyone else I would have to give up; and that includes his tenures Princeton rear end sitting in the ivory tower, writing articles that he can talk about at his academic cocktail parties.

I think that's kind of his thing. I remember way back in high school reading something of his that boiled down to "you should be donating everything you make to the third world until you are slightly less starving than the most starving African". It wasn't very convincing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ZombieLenin posted:

That is exactly what Singer has spent fifty years arguing. You can say it of anything! If instead of spending $50k being dragged up a mountain by sherpas you donated it to third world relief you would save about 100 human-life equivalents. You could say the same about your daily coffee.

The counter to "join the peace corps" is that you would do way more good becoming an investment banker and donating even just half of your earnings to good charities than spending your days digging ditches in Kenya. Singer could dig latrines in in Kenya, or he could continue to inspire millions of dollars of charitable donations by continuing his academic career.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just want to laugh at ded rich people cuz it makes me laugh. I’m not gonna argue praxis

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
So I’m guessing he would think buying the K2 board game is a waste. How else am I supposed to shove my Himalayan mountaineering obsession in people’s faces while making everyone at a party contemplate their mortality?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Peter Singer has sent me several angry emails about my crowdfunded effort to clone an army of Everest Eliminators.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everest Eliminators sounds like a deadly obstacle course on the top

a gauntlet of challenges made to streamline rich death

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Everest Eliminators sounds like a deadly obstacle course on the top

a gauntlet of challenges made to streamline rich death

Not hearing a downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/masaccio60/status/1174418845706137600?s=21