Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

It’s pretty hilarious that they finally disavowed all of the design documents for ships/professions that they’ve had sitting on their website for years. The ones that promise whole entire games worth of mechanics and content for things like passenger transport. Of course I haven’t seen a single Citizen bat their eyes over it.

Personally i hope they ditch the "Death of a Spaceman" idea. That one is just garbage.

Of course, some backers have defended that idea to the hilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Nah, they mention SSOCS (Server Side Object Container Streaming) frequently, as is their current to-go excuse to why they cannot add new poo poo.

Ah, ok. Well, they still don't have it on the roadmap or have given a reasonable ETA for delivering it, right?

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Is this a game yet?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Purr Objectives posted:

Is this a game yet?

Nope, it's a buggy digital asset viewer.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/bKW1vBd.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Purr Objectives posted:

Is this a game yet?

Ya you're playing it right now

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah, ok. Well, they still don't have it on the roadmap or have given a reasonable ETA for delivering it, right?

No, it's one of those "soon" techs is not in the roadmap for reasons. It also has the advantage of being server side so CIG can just claim that its on and there is no way to truly check. So if they ever need to raise morale a bit they can just release it, even if they have nothing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also apparently it's needed for SQ42 which is hilarious

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also apparently it's needed for SQ42 which is hilarious

Actually most single-player games are built on a client-server architecture. Furthermore...

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

less of a game than those tigers are playing

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

All the feature creep and bloat and unnecessary crap that they not only promised, but started selling. Not like I feel bad for them, they dug themselves this hole. But it's basically fraud if they sell a ship that makes planet bound outposts, and then later they say "well, we can't do outposts.."

TL:DR: they're screwed...

Ah, but they absolved themselves by adding a sneaky little line to all of their "pledges" saying that the buyer mark backer agrees that literally everything about the promised product is subject to change substantially, even to the point of never actually existing, presumably. Check and mate, goonies.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Hav posted:

And before, it was Network Bind Culling. Before that, it was Serialized Variables.

Render To Texture was in there for a bit, but it turned that people had been doing holograms in games for a while.

Server Meshing is the true grail. Just after they figure up how to beowulf EC2 instances into Skynet.

I totally forgot about serialized variables. Pretty sure THAT Kazan even weighed in on how groundbreaking it was which is weird because even as a unit tester you should know better.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Baxta posted:

I totally forgot about serialized variables. Pretty sure THAT Kazan even weighed in on how groundbreaking it was which is weird because even as a unit tester you should know better.

In unity, which is a simple engine compared to some other ones, you can literally type "[serializefield]" before a variable. Like, "[serializefield] private int myInt".

but i'm glad they finally found a way to put this technology into star engine. I'm sure that the unity team went to the future to steal this technology and go to the past.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

And before, it was Network Bind Culling. Before that, it was Serialized Variables.

Render To Texture was in there for a bit, but it turned that people had been doing holograms in games for a while.

Server Meshing is the true grail. Just after they figure up how to beowulf EC2 instances into Skynet.

The goalposts have been move so much that if this was a game of football the pitch would already be the distance from Alpha Centauri A to Hutton Orbital.

Then they will make backers QT the whole way.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

The goalposts have been move so much that if this was a game of football the pitch would already be the distance from Alpha Centauri A to Hutton Orbital.
I bet Harry Kane could still score from there.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Gosts posted:

In unity, which is a simple engine compared to some other ones, you can literally type "[serializefield]" before a variable. Like, "[serializefield] private int myInt".

but i'm glad they finally found a way to put this technology into star engine. I'm sure that the unity team went to the future to steal this technology and go to the past.

I actually think CIGs description of serialized variables at the time was something to do with parsing the variables to xml.

The unity way you're referring to is about serializing private variables so you can see what they are doing in the inspector panel while you are working on a scene or whatever. Theres no reason to have that in a prod environment (that I know of)

This is because unity serializes all public objects by default.

I can't understand how they didnt have serialization in cryengine.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
thread didn't even start till page 18 fuds see you in the verse

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Baxta posted:

I actually think CIGs description of serialized variables at the time was something to do with parsing the variables to xml.

The unity way you're referring to is about serializing private variables so you can see what they are doing in the inspector panel while you are working on a scene or whatever. Theres no reason to have that in a prod environment (that I know of)

This is because unity serializes all public objects by default.

I can't understand how they didnt have serialization in cryengine.

i'm pretty sure if you want to actually save data to disk in a manageable way you do need to serialize the fields in unity. but i've not been working with it for years or anything so maybe you're right, maybe it does it for everything.

also: i'm pretty sure cryengine DOES have it, that's the joke

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gosts posted:

That's not a unity feature, it's a C# one. Serialisation isn't a game development concept, it's a basic bitch programming one.

CIG making a big thing out of it is like Chevrolet bragging about how their cars come with wheels.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rotten Red Rod posted:

there's no ETA because they don't have the technical talent to pull it off, and also because major engine hacks mid-development are a dumbfuck idea that you'd have to be desperate or stupid to try and would likely fail at anyways even if you did have talent. other games have solved this, by planning well before how to handle it and building that tech at the very start.

I just went to look for a post I made sometime years ago about why huuuuge worlds are hard to make... But while I was looking for that, came across stuff from 2015 about how they were going to have servers with Eve-like grids to support more people. That had a buzzword acronym -- GIM -- as well. If that is not enough evidence of the bullshit level that crobbler operates on then I don't know what to say.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, when we talk about Chris Roberts, a common abbreviation used is Crobbler.

Its been used so commonly in SCAM that others new to the star citizen trainwreck might not know about it.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

tooterfish posted:

That's not a unity feature, it's a C# one. Serialisation isn't a game development concept, it's a basic bitch programming one.

CIG making a big thing out of it is like Chevrolet bragging about how their cars come with wheels.

This. If you work with APIs in at all (all devs do unless you only edit config files) you need to be able to serialize objects all the time.

Even in a simple form submission you serialize objects.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The way I read it, and I could be wrong, was that normally developers will make a game with a bunch of ideas and throw them together into an alpha. Then to get to beta they trim down what doesn't work, or what isn't balanced, or makes sense for the game they're trying to make. But since SC has had a playable alpha, and because they're selling ships based on gameplay loops they don't have- they can't really do that "trim down" phase...

If they decided land claims and customizable bases just weren't doable, well poo poo, they've already hyped people up and sold them ships and land claims for it...

If they decided, I dunno- passenger ships just didn't fit in with their new, trimmed-down vision of the game- same problem. (assuming they sat down and actually finalized what kind of game they wanted to make...)

Repeat for pets, drink mixing, tractor beams, ship customization, ship launched snub fighters, "holo chess", swimming, automated drones, sandworms, ore refining, farming, NPC unloading of cargo, procedural weather, procedural wildlife, showering, pooping, prisons, ship aging, wear and tear, racing, plastic surgery, space whales, artifact hunting, player run medical facilities, ship decals, power armor, character aging, pirate countermeasures, player designed outfits, EVA ship repair, engine tuning, ship boarding, docking ships in ships, aliens, stealth takedowns, hiring NPCs, hull breaches, drop-in COOP play, mod tools, ship interior decorations, private servers, modular ships, crafting, 100+ solar systems, enough people in a server to actually fill one of the capitol ships they've sold...

All the feature creep and bloat and unnecessary crap that they not only promised, but started selling. Not like I feel bad for them, they dug themselves this hole. But it's basically fraud if they sell a ship that makes planet bound outposts, and then later they say "well, we can't do outposts.."

TL:DR: they're screwed...

You forgot crossbows.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

* Saunas may clip into space.
** Communications and scanning not implemented.
*** Stock trading no implemented.
**** Turrets require players.
***** Players cause server-side crashes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Store Citizer: Maybe it's the lack of marketing?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mr Fronts posted:

You forgot crossbows.

From 2014:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Did anyone get the polearm in SotA?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Concept vs In-Game:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sandweed posted:

They just got the shaft I think.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

From what I can tell it's something they've mentioned a few times as a technology they need to complete the game, but they've barely mentioned it since and it's not on the roadmap, so more than likely it's progressing really badly. But the fans are eternally convinced it's always just around the corner and going to save the game. CIG has said nothing to either confirm or contradict this, probably because that would only upset the situation out of their advantage.

That's because it's low priority.

Somehow Citizens are convinced they're actively working on it, it's been in the works for years, it's just a few patches away from solving all their problems.

Reality check: earlier this year ( drat I forgot to record the link, does anybody have it ) one of their network engineers admitted they've barely starting working on it.. now.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I've got the solution to 890J gameplay.

Just let the crew pick up local songs from every port they visit, like Black Flag.

I'm sure the alien language guy can cover this.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Hav posted:

SSOCS is great and all, but I'm not holding my breath for really smooth performance until CNN, ESPN, and LMNOP are implemented. :colbert:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pixelate posted:

I've got the solution to 890J gameplay.

Just let the crew pick up local songs from every port they visit, like Black Flag.

I'm sure the alien language guy can cover this.
how about subsumption AI making up songs on the fly.
https://youtu.be/1-9my0tsutw?t=163

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It would be amazing if they actually got this piece of poo poo to run on AWS but forced players to buy compute credits to keep playing. Thousands would line up to defend it. Also they would sell a USB-powered quarter slot where you have to mail the quarters to CIG after depositing them.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Dementropy posted:

Concept vs In-Game:

Incidentally I went to the SotA subreddit recently and it looked like there had been a ongoing conspiracy theory that all the fudsters on there had been paid shills of other RPG publishers and now that SoaT was essentially dead they had all stopped fudding since the devs had stopped paying them. A glimpse into the future when we have all lost interest and SC don't get updated anymore, then the citizens will declare victory because we have stopped our "ongoing hate campaign".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That reminds me. I haven't got my paycheck lately from our Warlord.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Colostomy Bag posted:

That reminds me. I haven't got my paycheck lately from our Warlord.

It should be with you in two weeks.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity
just read the announcement on our secret discord. the reddit campaign is currently halted. derek used this month's budget to pay the $500,000 for crytek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dogeh posted:

It should be with you in two weeks.

90 days tops