Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The state of Alien videogames is largely bad with the exception of AvP 2000 and Isolation.

It's still funny to me that the first Alien game was a straight up reskinned clone of another game.

pac man. no poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the alien anthology shorts on youtube are pretty good

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

The state of Alien videogames is largely bad with the exception of AvP 2000 and Isolation.

It's still funny to me that the first Alien game was a straight up reskinned clone of another game.

pac man. no poo poo

And Frogger

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
AvP 2 on PC is still my favorite multiplayer shooter of all time and all 3 single player sections were really good.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

pac man. no poo poo

Xenomrph posted:

And Frogger

It was also hot garbage. Two crap versions of other games (admittedly Pac-Man on 2600 was already a bit poo poo anyway), compiled into one boring mess, with nothing about the gameplay really resembling anything to do with Alien at all :v:

This thing however, while not exactly being much to look at or listen to, at least tried something unique and may well be the first "horror" game which was actually tense (like a horror game should be), and not some rushed-out crap simply bearing a horror movie title with poo poo nonsensical gameplay. It's not for everyone but I'd take it over that other abomination.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I liked the aliens arcade shooter game. Kinda funny that the aliens 3 SNES/Sega game had you shooting aliens when the movie didn't have any guns until the very end. They must have made it before the movie came out or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

frogge posted:

I liked the aliens arcade shooter game. Kinda funny that the aliens 3 SNES/Sega game had you shooting aliens when the movie didn't have any guns until the very end. They must have made it before the movie came out or something.

I loved the arcade game, but it seemed like it was incredibly rare, so whenever I ran across it I would play the poo poo out of it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

frogge posted:

As much as I like SNES Alien 3, I really can't see why they didn't just call both those games "Aliens" and go from there. I mean obviously it's because Alien 3 had just been released in cinemas and we all really needed that tie-in!

Holy poo poo, it's just so weird.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And don't forget Xenophobe:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10503

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Or Popeye 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEalGOTbNLM&t=115s

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenophobe, a game for chuds?

I enjoyed AvP 2010. Not the greatest but the multiplayer looks fun. We talked about this earlier and I don't remember the game modes. I think one was that you start out with a small group of Marines and one alien. And each time a Marine dies they turn into an alien. Here's a video I found a while ago.

The first map is in a temple where the walls and stairs and everything start changing around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc5i2zIkOw

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
btw, I'm still down to play at some point. Possibly. In the future.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Greggster posted:

They missed such a great opportunity to quote the man himself with Tom Cruise who could've just asked how to get out of that chickenshit outfit.

Or scream "Game Over" at any of the points that he died.

(Also, even if it's two years ago, game over, Bill Paxton, game over :smith:)

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
i can't wait til i get admin

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I dreamt about that Aliens Left 4 Dead game last night. Fighting through a ruined, dead metropolis. In the background there were skyscrapers half cocooned with alien hives, hundreds of thousands of drones swarming the buildings as the marines were gunning down all kinds of aliens in the streets. It was a completely hopeless situation... and it was also completely badass. :hellyeah::unsmigghh:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunken Baker posted:

I dreamt about that Aliens Left 4 Dead game last night. Fighting through a ruined, dead metropolis. In the background there were skyscrapers half cocooned with alien hives, hundreds of thousands of drones swarming the buildings as the marines were gunning down all kinds of aliens in the streets. It was a completely hopeless situation... and it was also completely badass. :hellyeah::unsmigghh:

honestly im surprised this isnt a real game, it seems like a really good idea

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
On that note has anyone played Space Beast Terror Fright? I heard it’s basically Aliens/Space Hulk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Man that looks awesome

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Xenophobe owned. I played the poo poo out of the Nintendo version, and loved the rare occasion I could play it at the arcade.

I wonder if there's a port for the Switch yet.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

skasion posted:

On that note has anyone played Space Beast Terror Fright? I heard it’s basically Aliens/Space Hulk

that game looks rly rad, but also that sounds like a fake video game name

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tortoise dicks are some real xenomorph poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSfLKTTxtc

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

That Space Beast Terror Fright game does look pretty neat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/357330/Space_Beast_Terror_Fright/

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Tertius Oculum posted:

That Space Beast Terror Fright game does look pretty neat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/357330/Space_Beast_Terror_Fright/

It's a ton of fun with friends. The rule is if you die you have to scream horribly into the mic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kanine posted:

honestly im surprised this isnt a real game, it seems like a really good idea

Allen swarm was excellent.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Allen swarm was excellent.

I thought it was Alan.

https://www.mysoti.com/designer/slightlywrong/product/1764400/slightlywrong--tshirt--Alan

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Owlbear Camus posted:

tortoise dicks are some real xenomorph poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSfLKTTxtc

Oh Speedy

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I watched Alien Resurrection for the first time in roughly 15 years today, and I really liked it much more than before. Maybe my standards are dropping as I get older or something.

Highlights for me:
  • The music. I really liked the melodic tracks throughout the film. It added a dreamlike quality/aesthetic to the movie, which I guess is fitting for a Ripley clone trying to remember her past.
  • Ron Perlman, Winona Ryder, Wheelchair dude, Michael Wincott, and the whole cast were spot on. The Betty crew was just fun.
  • Ripley 8 breaking from her “cocoon”.
  • The underwater alien scene, especially when Ron Perlman nukes one with that bazooka.
  • Brad Dourif is genuinely hilarious.
  • I did like how the xenos were portrayed as more vicious. One even roared! The alien props were genuinely great, especially the queen.
  • The failed clone scene. That poo poo is genuinely disturbing on the level of The Thing imo.
  • The mad scientists kidnapping people as xeno hosts. I like mad scientist poo poo in my sci-fi movies.
  • The visuals, cinematography/lighting, and production design were top notch - gotta give it to that French director here. All six films in this series have A+ dedication in this department, in fact.
  • The increased gore/violence than the other films.
  • Alien orgy with Ripley in it.
  • The Newborn. I know a lot of people hate this guy, and in retrospect, I think that was the intention. The creature is genuinely disturbing and gross, and not in a “cool” way like the xenomorph. It being a byproduct of cloning Ripley was interesting as well. Brad Dourif: She no longer lays eggs, that’s your gift to her Ripley!

It’s shame how mediocre the script was in general, though. However, it’s still a surprisingly focused movie, thanks to the director.

Maybe I might watch the first AVP again. I have not seen that since theaters.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just bought the 5 movie set. Lol that they put prometheus first...

going to watch the 4 soon. Hoping to like 3 and 4 mroe than i did before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Meskhenet posted:

I just bought the 5 movie set. Lol that they put prometheus first...

going to watch the 4 soon. Hoping to like 3 and 4 mroe than i did before.

Well I mean, Prometheus is chronologically the first movie.

Also if you haven’t seen it, watch the Assembly Cut version of Alien3.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean, Prometheus is chronologically the first movie.

Also if you haven’t seen it, watch the Assembly Cut version of Alien3.

Ill see whats on this bluray set. Im sure ive seen bits and pieces of both 3 and 4 but never the whole thing. Also picked up Predetor box set with 1, 2 and 3. Didnt even know 3 existed.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress Prometheus, gently caress Resurrection, gently caress Covenant, and gently caress whatever garbage Ridley Scott is going to come out with next.

Alien3 is cool tho

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Mister Speaker posted:

gently caress Prometheus, gently caress Resurrection, gently caress Covenant, and gently caress whatever garbage Ridley Scott is going to come out with next.

Alien3 is cool tho

you were doing so well, right up until the end

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

Alien3 is cool tho
The difference between Alien 3 (good version) and Resurrection is that Alien 3 (good version) is a good film with one monumentally terrible core aspect that overshadows everything else while Resurrection is a monumentally terrible film in almost every respect except for one or two OK to good moments.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Said it before, but they should do an Alien3 special edition that fixes the janky lighting on the puppet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
OK one monumentally terrible core aspect and a couple of special effects issues

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The special edition of alien 3 is not any better than the theatrical version. The whole thing is bad and changing the alien from a dog to an ox is not going to fix everything wrong with that movie.

Alien, Terminator, predator, Robocop, I don't care what, there are ever, at most, 2 movies in any franchise worth remembering.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

purple death ray posted:

The whole thing is bad and changing the alien from a dog to an ox is not going to fix everything wrong with that movie.

You just solved a life-long mystery for me. As a kid I had an Alien3 toy that had bull horns on it. I rewatched the movies a few years ago and was wondering why they had added horns to the figure when the movie alien was more dog-like.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

purple death ray posted:

The special edition of alien 3 is not any better than the theatrical version. The whole thing is bad and changing the alien from a dog to an ox is not going to fix everything wrong with that movie.

Alien, Terminator, predator, Robocop, I don't care what, there are ever, at most, 2 movies in any franchise worth remembering.

There’s a whole lot different than just the dog/ox. There’s a huge subplot where they actually successfully capture the Alien, theres a new opening to the movie, there’s more with a Michael Bishop at the end, and most of the prisoners actually get names if not personalities.

The movie is still flawed, but the assembly cut is a definite improvement.

pooch516 posted:

You just solved a life-long mystery for me. As a kid I had an Alien3 toy that had bull horns on it. I rewatched the movies a few years ago and was wondering why they had added horns to the figure when the movie alien was more dog-like.
You’re thinking of the Bull Alien toy; while that toyline came out around the time of Alien3 and leaned heavily on Alien3’s “animal-spawned Aliens” idea, it was meant to be more of an Aliens tie-in. There were a bunch of other Alien hybrids in the toyline, like a Snake Alien, Gorilla Alien, Rhino Alien, etc.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

You’re thinking of the Bull Alien toy; while that toyline came out around the time of Alien3 and leaned heavily on Alien3’s “animal-spawned Aliens” idea, it was meant to be more of an Aliens tie-in. There were a bunch of other Alien hybrids in the toyline, like a Snake Alien, Gorilla Alien, Rhino Alien, etc.

Looking them up now, I definitely had the Gorilla Alien also. I always figured it was just a bad model of the original xenomorph. I think it squirted water (ACID!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pooch516 posted:

Looking them up now, I definitely had the Gorilla Alien also. I always figured it was just a bad model of the original xenomorph. I think it squirted water (ACID!)

The closest that line got to the “original” Alien was the Warrior Alien from the AvP two-pack. The Scorpion Alien was as close as we got to the ones from ‘Aliens’ (and the toy loving exploded, which was :krad: ).