Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Gosts posted:

In unity, which is a simple engine compared to some other ones, you can literally type "[serializefield]" before a variable. Like, "[serializefield] private int myInt".

but i'm glad they finally found a way to put this technology into star engine. I'm sure that the unity team went to the future to steal this technology and go to the past.

I think you're onto the biggest truth behind Star Citizen - they did invent everything; that is, they will have invented it, but other game companies will steal it in the future, and then go back in time to pretend they invented the technology first, so it appears to people not in on the conspiracy that CIG actually just stole this tech and pretended to invent it. This will all be done/has already been done to make Chris Roberts look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

absolutely true but it's also very funny how they keep inventing buzzwords to describe stuff that nobody else would even mention, let alone consider an achievement

but which company on earth would be crazy enough to dig their own grave deeper and deeper with each buzzword? we have two very opposite opinions: cultist who believe that the next buzz-feature will not only solve issues but even catapult cig to another level way ahead of the competition. and goons who think that they hosed up more than big rigs over the road racing.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 9, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least on the Star Citizen reddit, where it's bootlicking central, more and more backers appear to be turning on the project and raising serious doubts about the game ever being finished. A lot of people are starting to get upset at the fact that original promises have either been canceled out right or have not been worked on in years. People are wanting just the base game promises to be finished first, and are understandably upset as to why this is not happening. Of course if you raise these same problems on the official forums you are instantly banned from both the forums and the game, and you get no refund.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bumble He posted:

but which company on earth would be crazy enough to dig their own grave deeper and deeper with each buzzword? we have two very opposite opinions: cultist who believe that the next buzz-feature will not only solve issues but even catapult cig to another level way ahead of the competition. and goons who think that they hosed up more than big rigs over the road racing.

A few words: Scam, family trusts, shell companies, yada yada.

Get the taste of the big life, gotta keep it flowing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I wouldn't say 100 %. You can see they start dropping the oldest stuff in favour of the new stuff - old backers are gone and/or dead and the rest is outvoted and silenced by newer backers - which will be outvoted in a year or two by even newer backers.

:rip: Jeffrey McArthur :(

One of the genuinely sad events tied to this debacle.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9iL5LrcF_g

:drat:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

A few words: Scam, family trusts, shell companies, yada yada.

Get the taste of the big life, gotta keep it flowing.

but is chris the central figure in this hoax?
or is he the canary?

i know that there is no answer to this :D

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Oh, I forgot "Item 2.0"...

Whatever featured thing they haven't put in- that's waiting for item 2.0 you see. Once item 2.0 is in they'll have lockable ships, and doors opening via mobiglass.

Then they "released" item 2.0 and... nothing. Now it's not even mentioned...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RabbitWizard posted:

I'm trying to explain what these cool things do for the noobs in this thread:
-Save on sending/calculating totally useless poo poo. (Which may have been ok in small single player maps, but isn't cool with a galaxy)
-That's it.

All the new technology that has never been done before basically means that no one has done it in Cryengine before. Because it would be stupid to do it in Cryengine.

Each one boils down to "hey maybe we shouldn't send all the data about everything to everyone". What a revolution in gaming, I'm glad Chris is there.

The key detail is that its all bullshit smoke and mirrors.

"SSOCS" is just "making a server that isn't completely stupid and inappropriate for an mmo"

None of this is new or groundbreaking. Its marketing spin for basic poo poo anybody would be expected to do when making a game.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1171121388347953155

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bumble He posted:

but is chris the central figure in this hoax?
or is he the canary?

i know that there is no answer to this :D

Your contract was with Canary Imperium Games. Sorry, you can't sue us.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

How many times do you think he can film this one scenario, over and over, and maintain the slightest shred of pretense that he's showing compelling gameplay?

I mean watching that video he just runs across empty brown terrain for twelve minutes, with a single moment of spaceship interaction at the start, and another one blowing up kind of adjacent to what he's doing towards the end. That's it. There's no objective, there's no tension or stakes. Guy's been doing this for nearly a year now, it's not like any mechanics have arrived to make it play better now than it did a year ago. How long can he go on before the marketing money starts to dry up?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fidelitious posted:

CIG is 100% locked in to delivering everything they have ever sold as a feature.

They aren't though. They could weasel their way out of even the kickstarter stuff with a "well, we tried, but we just couldn't make it happen", but don't worry, because here is another concept ship!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

When is the next CitizenCon? (Con in bold)

The waiting kills me inside, i want to know if there will be a sandworm taming ship in the pipeline.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The difference between CIG and Rex is that CIG passively misrepresents the state of the game through carefully chosen wording which allows players to infer that the game has been in a playable state and filled with action you're missing out on. Rex actively misrepresents the state of the game by setting up all his virtual Barbie dolls in advance and then moving them around the model viewer with his completely normal team to make it look like they're playing a video game. His work ethic is impressive; it's like eating poo poo and calling it chocolate with every bite.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

How long can he go on before the marketing money starts to dry up?

That depends on whether Chris is going to sell another 10% of the company.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Still wondering how much Red Bull and CIG are paying for his sub-10k views.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Scruffpuff posted:

The difference between CIG and Rex is that CIG passively misrepresents the state of the game through carefully chosen wording which allows players to infer that the game has been in a playable state and filled with action you're missing out on. Rex actively misrepresents the state of the game by setting up all his virtual Barbie dolls in advance and then moving them around the model viewer with his completely normal team to make it look like they're playing a video game. His work ethic is impressive; it's like eating poo poo and calling it chocolate with every bite.

I guess he is handsomely compensated with whale money.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yet still hasn't made 10% of the game.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Can't wait to see tier 0 pause/resume technology in the future hit video game Squadron 42.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anticheese posted:

Reinventing basic industry stuff nobody else bothers to make any fuss about, plus burning through a ton of money to deliver underwhelming and poorly finished goods that are designed to look nice from the outside despite production being rotten?

CIG isn't Chevrolet in this analogy. They're Tesla.

Tesla made cars that do work.

Chris is more like DeLorean.

Built everything out of the wrong materials, wasted tons of money, and nobody wants one except nerds holding onto dreams.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Built everything out of the wrong materials, wasted tons of money, and nobody wants one except nerds holding onto dreams.

No, DeLorean didn't make cars that automatically crash.

edit: Good cocaine reference though.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

If you show a firetruck to Star Citizen, does it BSOD the computer?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

I've said this before but I'll repeat it for the new thread. The Cultists project wildly and very precisely onto Elite Dangerous. They always have. With Derek quiet now, Elite is back to being Cult Satan. In the cultists' minds, ED and Star Citizen are locked into a zero-sum deathmatch with every own or point scored over ED somehow making SC better.

It dates back to the days when refunds were common and people would post that they were quitting SC for an actual game that had been released. The cult utterly hated that, and always will.

You can tell, with incredible precision, exactly what the cult is worried about in Star Citizen because they start blaming Elite Dangerous for it. Every time. The cult is worried about CIG's finances and broken promises? Well, here's an in-depth study of how Elite Dangerous totally did those things really.

I maintain that if you tried hard enough, you could show a die-hard cultist footage of Star Citizen's most broken sections and have them claim you're really showing them ED.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Dumb CEO that appeals to smooth brains:
✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

Product that crashes and fails in spectacular ways:
✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

"Never been done before" technology that has, in fact, been done before and since in a much better way:
✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

Sells insurance that no one really knows how it will work:
✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

They aren't though. They could weasel their way out of even the kickstarter stuff with a "well, we tried, but we just couldn't make it happen", but don't worry, because here is another concept ship!

It is even worse. I believe they will just ignore whatever they don't want to do and get away with it.

It's already happening, anyone who complains about something not being in for years gets attacked by rabid fanboys until they disappear.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rexzilla in for the kill duuuude watch out to your left boom got em boys noooo go! go! go! shiiiiit another one down lets ruuuuuub

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loxbourne posted:

I've said this before but I'll repeat it for the new thread. The Cultists project wildly and very precisely onto Elite Dangerous. They always have. With Derek quiet now, Elite is back to being Cult Satan. In the cultists' minds, ED and Star Citizen are locked into a zero-sum deathmatch with every own or point scored over ED somehow making SC better.

It dates back to the days when refunds were common and people would post that they were quitting SC for an actual game that had been released. The cult utterly hated that, and always will.

You can tell, with incredible precision, exactly what the cult is worried about in Star Citizen because they start blaming Elite Dangerous for it. Every time. The cult is worried about CIG's finances and broken promises? Well, here's an in-depth study of how Elite Dangerous totally did those things really.

I maintain that if you tried hard enough, you could show a die-hard cultist footage of Star Citizen's most broken sections and have them claim you're really showing them ED.

Having a number of interesting discussions on the SC sub about the QT travel times in comparison to ED. Its very interesting how QT takes longer for similar distances but offers even less to do than ED (and ED doesn't offer much except for course adjustments and the chance of checking signal sources and interdictions.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yet still hasn't made 10% of the game.

This is good for Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tsar Mikey posted:

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

"Never been done before" technology that has, in fact, been done before and since in a much better way:
✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

Heh, this is good. But you have to hand it to Roberts, at least his product has a roadmap.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

I said come in! posted:

But Chris Roberts is a conman more than anything.

Uh actually he prefers con artist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsar Mikey posted:

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

Just you wait until they introduce a space firetruck in SC!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tsar Mikey posted:

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

✓ Star Citizen
✓ Tesla

Tack bitcoin/cryptocurrencies onto this list and you have the stuff I enjoy reading often on the SA forums.

The ongoing trainwrecks and buffoonery of all 3 are entertaining, as well as the dumbfounded reactions people have to the stupidity they witness.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Just you wait until they introduce a space firetruck in SC!

This gave me the idea that CIG should hire Simone Giertz to build them some promotional tchotchkes.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Uh actually he prefers con artist.

Pretty sure he has a condition

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Considering he's only selling 10% of the valuation of the company, which somehow was over $400 million despite realistically being into negative numbers, the magic of Star Citizen is that Chris can sell "10%" as many times as he wants.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

Tack bitcoin/cryptocurrencies onto this list and you have the stuff I enjoy reading often on the SA forums.

The ongoing trainwrecks and buffoonery of all 3 are entertaining, as well as the dumbfounded reactions people have to the stupidity they witness.

I'm assuming that crypto is the other 3rd of the big three for laughs behind this and TSLA? Not sure I can keep up.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

One of my favourite words that CIG misuses is "vice president of marketing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I made this comparison months ago in the previous thread. So I believe I called it?