Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

zoux posted:

Arthurian legends?

The Eldraine novel that came out a few days ago that talks about Will, Rowan, Oko and Garruk. The Questing Beast is this thing that compels the knights of the realm to go on five different quests to prove their worth, and whoever completes the five quests gets to become king. Will and Rowan's dad was the one who supposedly did it. The Beast never kills anyone in the story. Or even attacks anyone really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

This should have been a wish effect instead of a tutor. It's a monkey's paw damnit.

That would probably make Bo1 players groan in that it makes every deck want a sideboard.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

That is loving nuts. Four mana 4/4 haste that nullifies fog and lets you sneak past those pesky zombie tokens and the 0/3s and 1/1s too. Oh and smacks walkers for free while we're at it.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

IMJack posted:

Once Upon A Time looks a fun card.

Joust is a replacement for Reckless Rage in Boros Feather.

That's what I thought at first but given that the +2/+1 is conditional on the target being a knight this is nowhere near as good. I'm not sure it fits the bill.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

That is loving nuts. Four mana 4/4 haste that nullifies fog and lets you sneak past those pesky zombie tokens and the 0/3s and 1/1s too. Oh and smacks walkers for free while we're at it.

beats god's willing, too, on offense, at least

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Brb converting to mono green.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Show me the Mouse tokens wizards where are they

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

axeil posted:

A Monkey's Paw is a pretty cool flavor add and I like that we now have Demonic Tutor in Standard but with a flavorful and interesting downside.

The downside being you need to have a return-to-hand on the stack before you activate it?

Gonna have to dig for creatures with compatible ETB effects.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

I shall call you Paulie the Power Weasel!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really hope there's a way to get some of those showcase arts. Of course the monkey's paw curls and they'll all cost gems.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Not sure what deck this can belong to in standard.

If a food factory decks gets made this can be very powerful. Not sure if it can work in an Abzan Wolves deck.

Very strong sideboard for tribal decks.

Has Peasant ever been a creature type before?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does "Protection from [color]" prevent combat damage from that color? Does that mean that Questing Beast can be blocked by a Protection from Green creature and the blocker will die?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Does "Protection from [color]" prevent combat damage from that color? Does that mean that Questing Beast can be blocked by a Protection from Green creature and the blocker will die?

Protection prevents blocking.

quote:

Damaged by sources with the specified quality. (All such damage is prevented.)
Enchanted, equipped, or fortified by permanents with the specified quality.
Blocked by creatures with the specified quality.
Targeted by spells with the specified quality, or by abilities from sources of that quality.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Huxley posted:

Protection prevents blocking.

I'm referring to a Protection from Green creature blocking Questing Beast.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

qbert posted:

You're correct, preventing damage prevention gets around protection. That was the old strategy for red dealing with protection stuff back in Odyssey (and I think pauper)

Waffleopolis posted:

Very strong sideboard for tribal decks.
This card is completely maindeckable? Not a 4 of, but it still works as removal pretty ok.

You're going to be able to hit 2 humans or 2 vampires or 2 knights or more often enough to justify.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Misread, sorry.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thank you for the new thread. I haven't posted here or in discord in awhile, but I still play. Saving all my gold til set rotation comes. Pretty stoked to experience the new meta. Have about 20 rare and 10 mythic WCs ready to go now. Won't get me far, still, but hey.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Waffleopolis posted:

Not sure what deck this can belong to in standard.

I feel like Cavalcade is the closest but it seems like a win more situation.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Waffleopolis posted:

Has Peasant ever been a creature type before?

Nope. Mouse, noble, and warlock are all new as well.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Good decks to grind Standard 2020 for exp so far:

- Temur elementals, whatever variation but "long game" seems to work better than aggro
- Bant ramp
- Sultai Yarok/Agent of Treachery
- Anything with lots of board wipes that gets people to snap concede
- Anything with B/U for thought erasure to get people to snap concede

It's my day off and I've done 20 matches, half were against cavalcade. So maybe just plan for that. I might just build "Dimir Boardwipes and Discard" to grind out the event and get my flying cat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mouse Tribal baby

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hammer Bro. posted:

The downside being you need to have a return-to-hand on the stack before you activate it?

Gonna have to dig for creatures with compatible ETB effects.

You don't need to have anything the stack. Just use smolferi to bounce it back from their side to your hand.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like Cavalcade is the closest but it seems like a win more situation.

Flashing in trample on a Chandra's Spitfire for RR seems like a pretty sweet deal.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eej posted:

You don't need to have anything the stack. Just use smolferi to bounce it back from their side to your hand.

Yeah. This plus little tef is a neat combo that seems pretty easy to pull off

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Of course! Teferi: the solution to, and cause of, all of our problems.

Still gonna want some additional means of bouncing because reusable tutor is :eyepop: (and also I like jank).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I didn't realize the murder+ guy is also a knight. God drat BW knights is gonna be spicy

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

I didn't realize the murder+ guy is also a knight. God drat BW knights is gonna be spicy
Imagine if he didn't have the bottom clause and you were recurring him with Order of Midnight on top of drawing cards off Midnight Rider

Heck there's already enough mono black knights to build a decent deck. Icon searching up planeswalker removal is rather good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

zoux posted:

Mouse Tribal baby

Mouse Guard
Creature - Mouse Soldier :black101:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Witches vengeance kills the elemental and field decks nicely

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I warned everybody that this card was coming, no one believed me

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That equipment is beautiful. It isn't win more, it is win now.

Also this event is loving miserable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kater posted:

That equipment is beautiful. It isn't win more, it is win now.

Also this event is loving miserable.

Ali's got a spicy brew for that and you know it runs 4 Chromatic Lanterns

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Lol massacre girl, golos, lantern. That is a Very Ali deck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Network42 posted:

Lol massacre girl, golos, lantern. That is a Very Ali deck.

Ali is nuts for Golos

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It feels pretty bad to lose the second game, but even though I started this season late, I still got in early enough that I only need this to hit twice a day and to get one more level from an event or code to hit 100, so I think I can live with that. That's probably about where my limit would have been though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i need to complete this event 8 more times (did once first try which makes it worse) to reach 99 day before rotation (didn't but the more expensive mastery pass)

ugh

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Huh, I never made a field of dead deck so I've never paid attention to Golos besides the activate. That boy is just a neutral Cavalier. I want to put it into every deck.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Relin posted:

i need to complete this event 8 more times (did once first try which makes it worse) to reach 99 day before rotation (didn't but the more expensive mastery pass)

ugh

That sucks, I’m so glad I don’t need to grind it out to hit 100. It’s vicious even in the unranked queue.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's not really that bad. I finished five times today, and while I don't intend to keep up that rate, I was still winning more than I was losing. Maybe that was partially good luck and I'll have worse luck on subsequent days, but that's why I started off pushing harder on the first day, so when things get tougher I won't have as steep a climb. If it gets truly miserable, I'll just say gently caress it because I don't want that gaudy sleeve anyway and don't want to burn out before Eldraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

kater posted:

Huh, I never made a field of dead deck so I've never paid attention to Golos besides the activate. That boy is just a neutral Cavalier. I want to put it into every deck.

Yeah I didn't understand Golos until I played him in Autumn's FoD deck. On my first activation I got Lil Teffrey and Veil of Summer against a Simic Flash deck. They snap conceded after trying to counter the Teferi, it was perfect. Golos owns.