Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Reveal Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgNknqcElg
Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljJrY3GczU

Guilty Gear is a 2D fighting game series known for fast-paced gameplay, unique characters, free-form combos, anime artstyle and heavy metal soundtrack. This thread is for discussion of the newest game, Strive, as well as the previous titles.

Resources

Characters

Sol Badguy

The quintessential guilty gear, and the game's protagonist. Sol has the playstyle of an aggressive 'shoto,' with a strike invincible uppercut, a slow fireball and a command grab. Strong pressure and counterpoke options, Sol shines up-close and in the mid-range. Can convert many of his hits into relatively easy, high damage combos.

Ky Kiske

Sol's rival, he's a king with a Gear properties inherited from his son (it's complicated). Ky is another shoto with slightly better mid-to-long range options compared to Sol, though he can't pressure up-close to the same extent. He can Dragon Install at low health to boost many of his options, at the cost of crippling his meter gain.

May

Pirate girl who swings a giant anchor and enlists the help of sea creatures. Brawler character. Her attacks are hugely threatening at midrange, she has a strong jump-in game and her dolphins can launch her right into the opponents.

Axl Low

An unlucky englishman who plays a zoning game with his sickles. He can control big parts of the screen, including the air, but he can have a hard time with up-close defense.

Chipp Zanuff

A ninja, a weeb and a former drug addict who is now a president, too. Chipp is a pixie character with fast movement and varied approach and mixup options. Has a rekka, speedy crossup moves and a DP. Notoriously low health.

Potemkin

A presidential guard from Zepp, he's the game's grappler. Big, slow and can break you in half with his command throw, the Potemkin Buster. Can't dash, instead he can charge forward with his armored Hammer Fall.

Faust

A wacky doctor who is looking especially haunted in this installment, for reasons not explained in-game. Can poke effectively at long range with his scalpel, and he has strong anti-air options. Can throw random items to shake up the state of the game, usually in Faust's favor. He's a big target and his defensive options are a bit lacking.

Millia Rage

An assassin with magical, shapeshifting hair. She is a mixup character with high mobility and can lock down the opponent on knockdown with her Tandem Top. She has good buttons and can keep you guessing with multiple high/lows, crossups and fast, tricky movement options in the ground and air. As a trade-off, she has fairly low health and somewhat low damage.

Zato

Former dead guy who once traded his vision for the ability to summon a demon, Eddie. A puppet character, you control both Zato and Eddie at the same time when your shadow is out, triggering Eddie's attacks by releasing buttons (negative edge). One of the more technical characters, Zato is reliant on his summon. He can also fly. When things are going well, Zato can lock down the opponent, but he can have a hard time getting out of a bad situation.

Ramlethal Valentine

A girl with followed around by tiny imps carrying greatswords. She has a dog, likes hamburgers, and is Sol's adopted daughter. Ramlethal can swing her swords to cover a long distance on the ground, or shoot them at the opponent, leaving her swordless and weakened until she picks them back up. Close range is slightly awkward for Ram: she can juggle off her sweep to get good reward up-close, but it is stubbier than her other pokes. She has strong corner pressure, and good at getting wallbreaks from midscreen or even further out.

Leo Whitefang

Another king, Leo enjoys writing words into his dictionary. He is a rushdown character who can poke with his dual wielded swords at midrange, and switch to back-turned stance to open up the opponent with an overhead, side switches and a command throw. He can't block in this stance, but he gains a counter move to stomp out attempts to challenge him in backturn. His mobility leaves something to be desired, though he has a few attacks which move him forward or even cross-up.

Nagoriyuki

Huge samurai vampire. He has big, slow sword attacks that are some of the longest reaching in the game. He can't dash normally or double jump, but he has specials which let him teleport. He can also cancel specials into each other, but beware: using his specials fills his Blood meter, and if he fills that up he enters Bloodrage, which leaves him vulnerable on activation, drains his health rapidly and locks out his specials. However it does lengthen his attacks and unlocks a unique super. Managing his Blood meter is an important part of playing Nago.

Giovanna

Secret service agent who fights alongside her dog. She is an up-close fighter with tools to quickly approach the opponent and keep up the pressure on block. At full meter she gains enhanced damage and defense. Somewhat vulnerable to zoning.

Anji Mito

Japanese guy with fans. His gameplan relies upon Fuujin, a do-everything special move with multiple followups. He can also throw a butterfly projectile to keep the opponent blocking on their wakeup. Some of his moves have autoguard, opening up unique punish opportunities. Not quite as good at neutral as some other characters, he relies a bit on reads and conditioning the opponent.

I-No

Cruel, horny witch lady. Some gamers™ are upset that she doesn't take her top off anymore. She has a darkstalkers-esque hover dash which enables high-low mixups, plus the low-profile Stroke the Big Tree. She can also throw out a Note to keep the opponent blocking while she hovers in for a mixup. Fairly vulnerable on defense, and to anti-airs on her approach.

Goldlewis Dickinson

The US Secretary of Defense, who fights by swinging a coffin equipped with various weaponry around. One of his moves has over a dozen variations! Very high damage and extremely oppressive offense, but is very big and very slow - he cannot double jump, and his single jump is low to the ground.

Jack-O

Sol's bounty hunting partner, and possibly (definitely) more. Fights by summoning little minions called Servants. Has a variety of gimmick moves to make use of her Servants and lock the opponent down, but she loses them when she so much as blocks a hit, and they're limited by their own unique gauges.

Happy Chaos

Chaotic, god-like being. He's kind of like the Joker. A tricky sharpshooter equipped with a gun, he naturally excels at keeping opponents at range, but he can also force high damage combos up-close by expending his ammo. However, he has to manage that ammo to begin with via a manual reload, and he has a hard time getting opponents off him, especially when his clip is empty.

Baiken

A one-armed samurai on a quest of revenge. High-risk, high-reward, with effective moves at both mid and close-range, and a counter move that allows her to call out the opponent's attempts to get her off them. Her most unique move is the ability to tether herself to the opponent, forcing them to stick close to her, right where she wants them - but also forcing herself to stick close to them, opening herself up to having the tables turned on her.

Testament

A scythe-wielding Gear, and Ky's sibling-in-law. Their scythe gives them strong range, but is a bit unwieldy, making many of their moves sluggish. Fortunately, they have projectiles, summons, and teleports to help make their offense unpredictable. However, they need to apply a status effect called Stain State to the opponent to really get their pressure started.

Bridget

A bounty hunter looking for her goal in life. A well-rounded character with long-reaching normals, fast movement options, and tools to get the opponent off her, she especially excels when she knocks the opponent down, as she can pressure the opponent hard by setting up and manipulating her yoyos, making it impossible to predict how she's going to attack. However, between her low damage and her low health, she can't afford to trade hits back and forth with the opponent.

(Thanks to Endorph for helping with the DLC character blurbs.)

FAQ

Q: Do I need a stick to play Guilty Gear?
A: No, you do not. A PS4 pad is viable. A keyboard is probably fine too but you will have trouble bringing that to locals. That said, this post has some entry level stick recommendations.

Q: What do I do after I am knocked down? How do I defend on my wakeup?
A: Your default wakeup action should be to block low unless they are in the air, and react to the startup of overheads by stand blocking. You'll probably get your turn back if you are patient, and stuff like FD and YRC can help you get some breathing room. If they're going for throws a lot you should be able to call it out with a jab, throw tech or neutral/back jumping. Risky options like reversal back dash, reversal DP/super, throw tech, fuzzy jumping, etc, have their place, but being able to block effectively will win you many games.

Q: How do I get out of the corner?
A: A handy technique is to wait for a gap in their string, then jump or super jump (while blocking) and airdash out. An instant air dash can work too, sometimes. Air escapes like these are not foolproof, but they will work more often if they are pushing too far forward on you while minus. If they're smart, they will start backing up or waiting when their turn is over so that they can be in a better position to anti air or air throw you. This opens up more screen space on the ground for you to footsies your way out. On the flip side, if you want to keep someone in the corner, back up a little when it's not your turn anymore.

Q: How do I open up a blocking opponent?
A: In a pressure situation, the strike-throw mixup is the most universal way to open someone up. Even if your character has a good overhead or crossup, throws are still a strong offensive option. To set up throws, you need to condition the opponent. Vary your block pressure between finishing your attack strings and stopping them early to dash up and throw the opponent or 'reset' pressure and start your string over again. If they're jabbing you out of the latter, that can be good: you've conditioned them to press buttons in the middle of your string, which will give you a counter-hit if they're bold enough to mash at the wrong time. Some players can't be conditioned, but in that case you can just repeat the same successful patterns over and over again until you win.

Q: I can't play footsies! The other guy keeps jumping and/or charging forward blindly with special moves.
A: Focus on anti-airing and/or punishing the specific gimmick they are exploiting before you do anything else. Advancing specials tend to be either minus on block, punishable, or slow enough that you can interrupt them on reaction. If they cool off on whatever risky thing they were doing to skip neutral, then you can play footsies.

Q: Help, my gimmicks aren't working well against players who punish me for charging forward blindly with special moves and/or air approaches. I actually have to play neutral now, what do I do?
A: In a neutral situation, use your ground movement to weave in and out of their poke range, punish them for whiffing buttons, and check them with your own pokes. Some characters can challenge pokes directly with a dedicated counterpoke like 6P, but this is a hard callout. If they are playing passively and not pressing anything at all, walk or dash forward on the ground and start pressure if you're close enough. If they give up ground, walk forward and take it. It's free real estate!

dhamster fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The trailer song is very cool

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Ikr, I hope the song releases soon

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can't wait for this newer, slower GG with more superflashes, timeslows, cinematic zooms and pans, and other control-removing features coming hot off the heels of Fighterz.

I'm not even being facetious, I'm legit looking forward to it. I'm just gonna take it for what it is at this point, and if nothing else:

Real hurthling! posted:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
i hope we finally get to play as that man since theyve revealed his identity and all that in rev2. also hope baiken is in at launch this time

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Please note for USA folks, the TGS showcase is our Thursday night, not Friday.

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1171121087238684672

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Please still have Kum

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am excited to see all the new character outfits and sincerely hope the theme of the game's redesigns is "cool coats".

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Reiley posted:

I am excited to see all the new character outfits and sincerely hope the theme of the game's redesigns is "cool coats".

Johnny "2 Coats" confirmed

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How is Elphelt going to have a wedding coat that's not even a thing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Saint Freak posted:

How is Elphelt going to have a wedding coat that's not even a thing.

yet

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I can't wait for 10 more years of waiting for my characters to show up!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can I just get Zappa back?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playable slayers wife

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Real hurthling! posted:

Playable Nurse Fanny

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
I'm really feeling like this is gonna be a reboot.

-The title is just "Guilty Gear", could be a working title but Arcsys titles are usually final when they get to this stage of dev

-Ky looks MAD YOUNG, even besides the haircut and outfit he looks younger than his XRD self.

-New rekka for Sol? Plus Ky seems to be doing Greed Sever with his legs now

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Ky got the Gear cells STD from banging his 5 year old schizo wife too tho so maybe we're finally seeing the effects of that besides some cutscene where his eyes glow and nothing else happens

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It still seems weird to me that Guilty Gear has been around for like 20 years and there still hasn't been a blazblue crossover.

That's my take so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im glad

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I'm really feeling like this is gonna be a reboot.

-The title is just "Guilty Gear", could be a working title but Arcsys titles are usually final when they get to this stage of dev

-Ky looks MAD YOUNG, even besides the haircut and outfit he looks younger than his XRD self.

-New rekka for Sol? Plus Ky seems to be doing Greed Sever with his legs now

Ky's new flip kick move is probably Needle Spike from before GGX, so the reboot theory kinda makes sense

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

should I watch the story modes for xrd

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

S.J. posted:

Hell yeah

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

S.J. posted:

If you like hamburgers, yes.

If you like dogs, no.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
https://twitter.com/KayinNasaki/status/1158197868706127876?s=20

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Entry-level sticks guide by FGC newb. There are not a lot of cheap but decent options.

Mayflash F300 $53 https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-F300-Arcade-Joystick-Switch/dp/B019MFPLC0

Qanba Drone $70 ($40 on sale a few times a year) https://www.amazon.com/Qanba-Drone-PlayStation-4/dp/B01I0GEDEY

Sanwa Stick+ cable $28 http://a.co/iRBa6ez

Huge parts/buttons/colors selection: https://www.focusattack.com/

The mayflash is cheaper base price, but a bit smaller footprint than the drone and might be annoying if you play with the stick in your lap. Both have easily replaceable parts.

I picked up my drone on sale since I wasn't sure if I would like stick play. Its been great so far and way easier on my hands than d-pad play. The stock stick has an opposite bounce registering inputs problem, so once I decided I wanted to stick with sticks, I replaced the stick with a sanwa JLF for about $25 for the stick and cable. It was an easy few screws, plug n play process. I've since upgraded all of the buttons to sanwa with custom colors (I don't feel much difference from stock but it looks better) and filled the body with high density acoustic foam so the cheap plastic box sounds less like a cheap plastic box and add a little weight. All in all I have a stick with $150 level parts for about $80 and it was nice to start cheap, then upgrade if I liked it.

If you don't want to gently caress with stuff, grab a Hori RAP. $140 https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-PlayStation-4/dp/B00SULMRI4

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

What was the cat's job?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

HerniaFlange posted:

What was the cat's job?

Getting in the way and making sure I take breaks. Its an important job.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Entry-level sticks guide by FGC newb. There are not a lot of cheap but decent options.

A modded Drone is a good entry level choice if it's anything like the Q1, I used that for a few years with custom parts (and a PS4 Brook converter for locals) until I bricked it trying to swap out the PCB. Since then I got a Hori RAP N on sale and I've really liked it, though I still use my preferred custom parts (silent sanwa buttons + seimitsu ls-32 lever). I'll snap a pic when I get home from work.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Getting in the way and making sure I take breaks. Its an important job.

A good work/home life balance.

Xrd had two characters specifically inspired by other game genres: Elphelt is FPS, and Jack-o is RTS. I'm betting on the next genre they'll crib from being either dating sim (redesigned Zappa and he's dating the ghosts) or some DnD RPG thing and the character has a giant weaponized 20-sided die.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Can I just get Zappa back?

This is all I want from it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

some DnD RPG thing and the character has a giant weaponized 20-sided die.

You mean Faust?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is it really a stick guide if it doesn't tell you how to plaster a big ole anime lady art on it?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Reiley posted:

You mean Faust?

No, as in literally a giant 20-sided die. Maybe a projectile that changes how it works based on the number that it lands on after it was thrown.

Okay so kind of Faust. You got me.

EDIT: No wait, by showing the number the player will know what the next version of it will be so they can adjust as needed!
So Faust and Venom together kind of. Okay maybe I should just let this idea be.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 10, 2019

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

GG2020 info coming out tonight: https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1171446925477892099

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Here's hoping it's something beyond Ky and Sol and a bunch of vague descriptions of them adding 5 more different kinds of Roman Cancels.
Yeah I know they said they were going simpler but I didn't want to just say autocombos again.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

hmm, something's off about Sol

wait a second, that's his right hand! :mad:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

update: daisuke is saying words in japanese

e: translation from majinobama http://twitch.tv/majinobama

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 13, 2019

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Oh. This stream is going to be entirely near useless if you don't know Japanese, isn't it?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Nothing new yet, they talked about design stuff (e.g. 'ky is hot now') and broke down the trailer

dhamster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Oh hey May.
Next piece of actual info is CEOtaku I guess.
Edit: Went back for a screencap, kind of blurry because of the stream but you get the idea. She's in a weird poofy hoodie thing now?

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 13, 2019