Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for wireless gaming headphones I can use with my laptop on the road? Some of them have some unwieldy base stations/dongles.

LucidSound LS41. The dongle is about thumb sized and has a 3cm cable so there isn't weight on the USB port. 20 hour battery, cooling gel in the ear pads. Removable mic.

Noise isolation is poor but if you're on the road that seems like a bad idea anyway.

That being said I've heard great things about the Audio Technica G1WL but haven't tried them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DancingShade posted:

LucidSound LS41. The dongle is about thumb sized and has a 3cm cable so there isn't weight on the USB port. 20 hour battery, cooling gel in the ear pads. Removable mic.

Noise isolation is poor but if you're on the road that seems like a bad idea anyway.

That being said I've heard great things about the Audio Technica G1WL but haven't tried them.

Thanks! This looks great.

Any suggestions for in-ear gaming headphones (they don't have to be wireless)? I realize that carrying both my Sony WH-100XM3s and another pair of big headphones might get tiring.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! This looks great.

Any suggestions for in-ear gaming headphones (they don't have to be wireless)? I realize that carrying both my Sony WH-100XM3s and another pair of big headphones might get tiring.

In-ear not really, sorry. I have a few IEMs its simply that I don't use them to game. That being said I can't see a reason the Tin T3s wouldn't work well. Wired though. Wireless gaming IEMs I haven't a clue.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ddogflex posted:

Ikko OH10. I'm also a bass head. They're exactly what you want. I loving love mine so much it's stupid. They're $189. If you want an amp for them portable I would recommend EarStudio ES100, it's a bluetooth/USB DAC/AMP and sounds loving great. I use it bluetooth on the train and USB at my desk. All in you're looking at $288 if you go that route.

I ended up pulling the trigger on both of those today. I get the ES100 today, and I'm looking forward to see what it can do with my HD650's(just for fun. No expectations).

The EH10's get here Sunday which is a day earlier than Amazon promised, so I'll be able to use thing at work Monday.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I joined the Drop for the JVC HA-FDX1, which is their version of the JVC HA-FD01, plus tuning filters based on mods that many HA-FD01 owners had done to tame the treble. I had been considering a HA-FD01 or Sony MDR-EX800ST for my next purchase. I'd been hesitant though due to the JVC's price plus the need to mod it, and being unsure about the Sony's desisn/fit (also some people in the US have claimed to have gotten counterfeits when buying the Japanese import recently).

The early bird price convinced me to pull the trigger.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I get the ES100 today, and I'm looking forward to see what it can do with my HD650's(just for fun. No expectations).

This thing is amazing for the size it is! It drives my HD650's at a medium-loud level, just using USB power, and as far as I can tell, drives as well as my Magni / Modi stack.

Edit: I almost immediately retract this. I haven't done a comparison for a while. The Magni / Modi is far better. Still, It's impressive the ES100 can power the 650's a decent level.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 7, 2019

Schwann
Oct 28, 2006
Budget - $200 (can go a bit higher if necessary)
Source - MacBook Pro, iPhone XR
Isolation Requirements - Isolation necessary. I work in an office surrounded by my team. I would like to not hear them and they not hear my music.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, circumaural. Wireless. Intended of use at office only.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Not enough of an expert to say.
Past Headphones - Bought Sennheiser HD 558 four years ago. My first headphones. I use them for gaming and listening to music on my PC. Comfortably fit around my ears. I have been happy with them.
Preferred Music - Rhythmic low-key electronica mostly, classical music, podcasts

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Schwann posted:

Wireless.

Are you absolutely, positively sure this is necessary? $200 is a great budget for a nice set of headphones, or an okay budget for an okay set of wireless headphones.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This thing is amazing for the size it is! It drives my HD650's at a medium-loud level, just using USB power, and as far as I can tell, drives as well as my Magni / Modi stack.

Edit: I almost immediately retract this. I haven't done a comparison for a while. The Magni / Modi is far better. Still, It's impressive the ES100 can power the 650's a decent level.

Haha, yeah, I have a desktop amp for my big cans, but it's impressive the ES100 can power them PRETTY WELL. Like with my HD58X it's totally adequate, but my LCD2C are a little underwhelming compared to desktop for sure, it's plenty of VOLUME, just doesn't give the same impact. The 650s are incredibly power hungry so I would expect similar.

Schwann
Oct 28, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Are you absolutely, positively sure this is necessary? $200 is a great budget for a nice set of headphones, or an okay budget for an okay set of wireless headphones.

Not absolutely necessary.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

The Ikko EH10's have worked great, but I think I need some better tips. Can I swap the baseline set for a foam style set without sacrificing quality. If so, what do people recommend?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Schwann posted:

Beyerdynamic DT 770s are very good. I use these at work myself. Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT might also fit your use case. They're wireless with an option to use a cable.

I would also consider looking into IEMs. They're much better at isolation than over the ear cans IMO.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The Ikko EH10's have worked great, but I think I need some better tips. Can I swap the baseline set for a foam style set without sacrificing quality. If so, what do people recommend?

Have you tried the black and clear ones that came with it? The blacks didn't fit my ears right for some reason and I've had way better luck with the clear. I didn't realize they were two different kinds for weeks. You could get some foams for sure, but it might make the treble a bit more subdued. Also, Ikko are coming out with their own foam tips specially for these VERY soon, people have samples already.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Have you tried the black and clear ones that came with it? The blacks didn't fit my ears right for some reason and I've had way better luck with the clear. I didn't realize they were two different kinds for weeks. You could get some foams for sure, but it might make the treble a bit more subdued. Also, Ikko are coming out with their own foam tips specially for these VERY soon, people have samples already.

Great to know! I never tried the white medium tips since they were supposed to be more "narrow". Official foams would be an instant buy for me.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Great to know! I never tried the white medium tips since they were supposed to be more "narrow". Official foams would be an instant buy for me.

Oh poo poo, they're up now. I ordered a set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WG5PJ5V/ref=twister_B07WKD46Y6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 9, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Schwann posted:

Budget - $200 (can go a bit higher if necessary)
Source - MacBook Pro, iPhone XR
Isolation Requirements - Isolation necessary. I work in an office surrounded by my team. I would like to not hear them and they not hear my music.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, circumaural. Wireless. Intended of use at office only.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Not enough of an expert to say.
Past Headphones - Bought Sennheiser HD 558 four years ago. My first headphones. I use them for gaming and listening to music on my PC. Comfortably fit around my ears. I have been happy with them.
Preferred Music - Rhythmic low-key electronica mostly, classical music, podcasts

Used pair of Oppo PM3, check em out

E:

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone

PM3 has a lovely case, flawless build quality, strong isolation, good comfort, can be driven by a phone, and the sound is flat with linear planar bass all the way down. There are basically two things keeping them from being perfect for what they are: Fuckers are discontinued and new in box are expensive as poo poo, and the treble could have more sparkle for my tastes.

They will poo poo on anything new that's the same price as what you can find used PM3s for on eBay.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 9, 2019

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Welp, so did I. I'll report Wednesday or Thursday.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Used pair of Oppo PM3, check em out

E:

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone

PM3 has a lovely case, flawless build quality, strong isolation, good comfort, can be driven by a phone, and the sound is flat with linear planar bass all the way down. There are basically two things keeping them from being perfect for what they are: Fuckers are discontinued and new in box are expensive as poo poo, and the treble could have more sparkle for my tastes.

They will poo poo on anything new that's the same price as what you can find used PM3s for on eBay.

In Australia we are blessed with a huge overstock of PM3s so they're readily available brand new at $380 AUD ($260USD, plus our price includes sales tax at 10%). We also had Oppo stuff stick around for a bit longer. Still kicking myself for missing the UDP-205 for $1500 AUD, they're up near 5k now for being a perfect balanced DAC/UHD player/surround-pre and being one of the few 4K players that can play true Bluray 4K rips. Plus I've been offered two HA-1 for 800aud and if I didn't get my ADI-2 Pro I'd have jumped the hell on one for the the crazy 9w into 50ohm for my HE6se. Plus it's pretty as hell.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I can use my ES100 comfortably balanced with my HE6se and they are literally the hardest headphones to drive you can buy at 77dB/mW and 53ohm. It doesn't make them rumble but they are quite listenable where out of my phone (GS9+) they are near inaudible, same goes for any 3.5mm on anything not audiophile focused.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

BurritoJustice posted:

In Australia we are blessed with a huge overstock of PM3s so they're readily available brand new at $380 AUD ($260USD, plus our price includes sales tax at 10%). We also had Oppo stuff stick around for a bit longer. Still kicking myself for missing the UDP-205 for $1500 AUD, they're up near 5k now for being a perfect balanced DAC/UHD player/surround-pre and being one of the few 4K players that can play true Bluray 4K rips. Plus I've been offered two HA-1 for 800aud and if I didn't get my ADI-2 Pro I'd have jumped the hell on one for the the crazy 9w into 50ohm for my HE6se. Plus it's pretty as hell.

I can use my ES100 comfortably balanced with my HE6se and they are literally the hardest headphones to drive you can buy at 77dB/mW and 53ohm. It doesn't make them rumble but they are quite listenable where out of my phone (GS9+) they are near inaudible, same goes for any 3.5mm on anything not audiophile focused.

Ooohhh what retailer has the PM3? I've always been so bummed I missed them but don't really want to buy used headphones.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Ooohhh what retailer has the PM3? I've always been so bummed I missed them but don't really want to buy used headphones.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/oppo-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ah only ship to Aus/NZ. Bummer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You think that's nuts, you can buy a Sony Z7M2 in Australia for $438 AUD. https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/sony-mdr-z7m2-high-resolution-headphones

Obviously they're simply trying to get rid of stock at this point. I think they hit our market like a lead balloon. Which makes sense because that original price is HIFIMAN Ananda money.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

You think that's nuts, you can buy a Sony Z7M2 in Australia for $438 AUD. https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/sony-mdr-z7m2-high-resolution-headphones

Obviously they're simply trying to get rid of stock at this point. I think they hit our market like a lead balloon. Which makes sense because that original price is HIFIMAN Ananda money.

Holy poo poo I would buy the hell out of those at $300 USD. Wow.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Used Sony Z1Rs for 900 bucks, still under warranty, should I pounce?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I found a few other retailers but none of them ship outside AU/NZ.

Sell me your headphones damnit!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Wengy posted:

Used Sony Z1Rs for 900 bucks, still under warranty, should I pounce?

I loving would if you're in the market. Those are some of my fave headphones I've ever used.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

ddogflex posted:

I loving would if you're in the market. Those are some of my fave headphones I've ever used.

I'm extremely tempted but there appears to be a LOT of hate online

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Schwann posted:

Wow I completely forgot about this thread, sorry.

Agreed, Oppo PM3 are a solid rear end choice if you can find them at your price point, otherwise the Meze 99 Neo (or the Noir from massdrop) are also great, if a bold fashion statement. If you want a very V shaped sound signature that can do sub wub dub bass, the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm is a classic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wengy posted:

I'm extremely tempted but there appears to be a LOT of hate online

I borrowed some, I love 'em. I think people get annoyed that they're not hyper detailed audiophile grado monsters for the money, but they're really fun so gently caress those people.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

Holy poo poo I would buy the hell out of those at $300 USD. Wow.

I know they seem pretty cheap but I'm sure its for a reason. Imagine all the people who tried them out in stores then went "nah".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I know they seem pretty cheap but I'm sure its for a reason. Imagine all the people who tried them out in stores then went "nah".

A2A is also just a really cool store run by really cool dudes and they do great deals fairly regularly. They did the world's lowest Focal Clear price when they did the Clear +Astell and Kern Activo CT10 for IIRC 1100AUD.

Their current Sony sales are due to the new ZX507B and NW-105A DAPs coming out soon, I guess they dropped the headphones to match. I like the look of the Z1R but they're not on sale, never really heard a single thing about the Z7M2. Good cans?

Whenever I'm nearby I always drop into A2A for a chat and to marvel at the newest fancy thing in their very comfy chairs. Minidisc is on the other side of Sydney, also really cool, their YouTube is good and LauchlanLikesAThing is a staff member there and he has ~100k subs because he's got excellent audio opinions.

AU is in a good place for audio dealers.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

BurritoJustice posted:

A2A is also just a really cool store run by really cool dudes and they do great deals fairly regularly. They did the world's lowest Focal Clear price when they did the Clear +Astell and Kern Activo CT10 for IIRC 1100AUD.

Their current Sony sales are due to the new ZX507B and NW-105A DAPs coming out soon, I guess they dropped the headphones to match. I like the look of the Z1R but they're not on sale, never really heard a single thing about the Z7M2. Good cans?

Whenever I'm nearby I always drop into A2A for a chat and to marvel at the newest fancy thing in their very comfy chairs. Minidisc is on the other side of Sydney, also really cool, their YouTube is good and LauchlanLikesAThing is a staff member there and he has ~100k subs because he's got excellent audio opinions.

AU is in a good place for audio dealers.

I love the Z1R, the Z7 (even tho it came first) is sorta the baby brother. It's the only other headphone they make in Japan AFAIK. I don't know of any other dynamic headphones with 70mm drivers other than these two either. I'm just a fan of Sony's sound in general tho. I really like the MDR-1A (still have a pair), and the WH1000 series.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I needed new travel IEMs so I hopped on the Tin T2 bandwagon since everyone is raving about them, and they live up to it. I don't need to own IEMs that sound better than this, and I could confidently throw them down a flight of concrete stairs and expect them to work. The one problem I have is the same problem I have with every IEM, and that's the sense that the center image is directly inside your brain. I like the imaging otherwise and the soundstage is decently large and weirdly behind me somehow. Not in an unpleasant way, it's just odd. I wonder how much I'd have to spend to avoid that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Are there known quality replacement cables for the SE215? The original set lasted me years until they went to poo poo last year and I bought a replacement off eBay which barely made it a year.

The official set costs €35 which I'd rather not drop on just the cables (and would just motivate me to upgrade instead).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ashex posted:

Are there known quality replacement cables for the SE215? The original set lasted me years until they went to poo poo last year and I bought a replacement off eBay which barely made it a year.

The official set costs €35 which I'd rather not drop on just the cables (and would just motivate me to upgrade instead).

Fiio and Brainwavz both make quality MMCX cables that should cost less than Shure's original cable.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Welp, so did I. I'll report Wednesday or Thursday.

In response to purchasing the Ikko memory foam tips... Either I bought too large a size(medium), or they're just uncomfortable. They also seem to transmit quite a bit of line noise that is lacking from the plastic tips.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a preference issue. I'm keeping them in my bag and will swap with them on occasion, just to see.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Fuuuuuuck I broke the shirt clip off of my ES100 today.

I guess I can probably find some sort of plastic clip with an adhesive back that could replace it, but so far I can seem to put the right search terms into Amazon to find anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

trem_two posted:

Fuuuuuuck I broke the shirt clip off of my ES100 today.

I guess I can probably find some sort of plastic clip with an adhesive back that could replace it, but so far I can seem to put the right search terms into Amazon to find anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Total-eCLIPse-Self-Locking/dp/B00HUV8FWW

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-HipClip-Attachable-Smartphones/dp/B007CBSBM4

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

:boom: thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I needed new travel IEMs so I hopped on the Tin T2 bandwagon since everyone is raving about them, and they live up to it. I don't need to own IEMs that sound better than this, and I could confidently throw them down a flight of concrete stairs and expect them to work. The one problem I have is the same problem I have with every IEM, and that's the sense that the center image is directly inside your brain. I like the imaging otherwise and the soundstage is decently large and weirdly behind me somehow. Not in an unpleasant way, it's just odd. I wonder how much I'd have to spend to avoid that.

Audeze iSine series have an incredibly wide soundstage, but they're also sorta open back so a bizarre "IEM" in general. The Ikko OH10 also has a wide soundstage, to the point it confused my brain as I'm use to IEM being so intimate.