Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I use Golos as a commander in my silly big dumb elder dinos 5 color paper deck and he's great, haven't really used him in standard/arena for some reason and I'm thinking I should correct that soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've been chilling on my gold pile to make sure I can get a bunch of free packs for the drop of the new set. I'm at about 35k right now. Where's everyone else?

zoux posted:

Mouse Tribal baby

I got excited for the idea of something goofy like Mouse Tribal and then I realized I could make a Cat Tribal to counter it. Not even a joke. I searched "cat" in my collection and have a ton of them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like the idea of the event letting you use some of the cards a little early, but I don't like how clunky the deck building interface is while it's in its intermediate form. Can't filter for ELD cards yet there's a Standard 2020 format in the deck builder. At least some of my existing decks from the block constructed event still work. Also I'm really glad I don't have to grind it for the 200xp. I assume being at 88 I'll hit 100 before the end. To reiterate earlier sentiments about it, if you buy the mastery tree then you shouldn't really require going to any special lengths to fill it out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rexxed posted:

I like the idea of the event letting you use some of the cards a little early, but I don't like how clunky the deck building interface is while it's in its intermediate form. Can't filter for ELD cards yet there's a Standard 2020 format in the deck builder. At least some of my existing decks from the block constructed event still work.

you can filter for ELD cards by typing e:eld into the search parser

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lone Goat posted:

you can filter for ELD cards by typing e:eld into the search parser

I stand corrected. Does buying the preorder let you use more than the cards from the brawl event rewards? I assumed the preorder packs wouldn't be able to be opened until the set release.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Really a needs to be a "No, it wasn't" emote to respond to a simic flash "Good Game"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

salt shakeup posted:

Yeah I didn't understand Golos until I played him in Autumn's FoD deck. On my first activation I got Lil Teffrey and Veil of Summer against a Simic Flash deck. They snap conceded after trying to counter the Teferi, it was perfect. Golos owns.

That list doesn't even take full advantage of the activation. This list really abuses that poo poo, dropping two Casualties of War or Bombardments in a turn or bombing Extinction Stars. I don't know if it's any good but it's the most fun deck I've played in the last couple of weeks.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

The Sean posted:

I've been chilling on my gold pile to make sure I can get a bunch of free packs for the drop of the new set. I'm at about 35k right now. Where's everyone else?

I’m at 100k right now which I’m pretty stoked about. Really looking forward to the new set since I got in just before Spark.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This event is odd.

Just give us 100 xp per win you weirdos.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Huxley posted:

This event is odd.

Just give us 100 xp per win you weirdos.

Yep. This is loving excruciating with the loving roping.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Sean posted:

I'm still drafting M20

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Relin posted:

i need to complete this event 8 more times (did once first try which makes it worse) to reach 99 day before rotation (didn't but the more expensive mastery pass)

ugh
nevermind, i went 16-0 lmao. done with this poo poo

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Relin posted:

nevermind, i went 16-0 lmao. done with this poo poo

What deck were you using?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

What deck were you using?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I went on a pretty huge tear through the event with this deck:

4 Field of the Dead
1 Plaza of Harmony
1 Temple of Mystery
1 Thornwood Plaza
1 Island (335)
1 Forest (347)
1 Mountain (343)
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Gateway Plaza
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Arboreal Grazer
4 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
2 Hydroid Krasis
1 Archway Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Guild Summit
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route
1 Command the Dreadhorde
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

(source:https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-under-the-defense-and-over-the-top-in-post-rotation-standard/)

Deck owns and will just run over 99% of the durdly do nothing decks with boardwipes and lifegain to insulate yourself from the aggro decks. Only issue I really ran into is that you have a huge problem with planeswalkers, Narset in particular. Without sideboards its harder to correct that but until we get those I probably recommend finding some way to slot a few Assassin's Tropies into the deck.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i used this as a base

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-71-rotation-proof-mono-red-cavalcade-standard-magic-arena

i lacked three chandra, acolytes of flame so i put in 2 chandra, fire artisans and an experimental frenzy. midway through i took out the 2 chandra, fire artisans and added a second experimental frenzy and a fry (a lot of people are playing white and blue poo poo [especially blue-red]). all the decks i played against were jank, luckily, though i had plenty of close calls, so don't be discouraged if you lose, this deck lives on the razor's edge.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AnEdgelord posted:

4 Field of the Dead
1 Plaza of Harmony
1 Temple of Mystery
1 Thornwood Plaza
1 Island (335)
1 Forest (347)
1 Mountain (343)
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Gateway Plaza
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Arboreal Grazer
2 Hydroid Krasis
1 Archway Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Guild Summit
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route
1 Command the Dreadhorde

(source:https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-under-the-defense-and-over-the-top-in-post-rotation-standard/)

Deck owns and will just run over 99% of the durdly do nothing decks with boardwipes and lifegain to insulate yourself from the aggro decks. Only issue I really ran into is that you have a huge problem with planeswalkers, Narset in particular. Without sideboards its harder to correct that but until we get those I probably recommend finding some way to slot a few Assassin's Tropies into the deck.

Pretty fun alternative to the old gates decks when it goes off. Thornwood Plaza should be Thornwood Falls for the deck import to work, it's incorrect in the original article.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tempted to just queue up land destruction Field of the Dead is so common now. Very stoked for a full year of unanswerable permanents.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arglebargle III posted:

Tempted to just queue up land destruction Field of the Dead is so common now. Very stoked for a full year of unanswerable permanents.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also Assassin's trophy is in the format which hits 90% of things

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Arglebargle III posted:

Jeskai Walkers is a hard counter to Field of the Dead that also happens to be fun to play

It folds hard to Esper though

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The wings on this cat really is hecking dumb.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Field of the Dead runs wipes. You really think running wipes is going to shut them down?

What do Jeskai Walkers run as a win condition without Sarkhan?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 10, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why are you without Sarkhan?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Legion's End and Deputy of Detention already exist to plague wind the zombos.

What you need are flyers that can go over the top and kill them through the zombie horde, and just enough stuff like Legion's End to stop them killing you first.

Or counter their ramp spells and kill them before they get to 7.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been siding in Flame Sweep against Field of the Dead decks in case I haven't got big chandra on the board yet in my elementals deck. Tends to do well, although it burns Risen Reefs and Embercats if they haven't been pumped by Omnath yet

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Having to start the event pick a deck and then if you lose re start the event and repick the deck is the worst way to play. Too many loving screens and confirmations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Funny way to stuff Cavalcade decks: Ethereal Absolution.

Also lol event gives 200 not 250. I'm really glad I don't need the xp and am just playing cuz its a crazy format.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Something to keep in mind if you start hating the event is that each win of two consecutive games is worth 25 cents since you can buy a level for 250 gems and you get a fifth of a level per win. If buying a level wouldn't be worth it to you, it's not worth making yourself miserable over either.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That Golos deck posted upthread is fun. You can still get blown out by cavalcade decks if they get a great draw but it's really fun when it goes off and you have a zillion life and zombies

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

4 Field of the Dead
1 Plaza of Harmony
1 Temple of Mystery
1 Thornwood Plaza
1 Island (335)
1 Forest (347)
1 Mountain (343)
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Gateway Plaza
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Arboreal Grazer
2 Hydroid Krasis
1 Archway Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Guild Summit
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route
1 Command the Dreadhorde

I just played this and went up against the Ali deck with the lanterns. The opponent and I went turn after turn playing with ourselves making zombie tokens or wiping the board until I drew 16 cards on my final turn then played Jace for the win. Felt great. Way less wild cards than the Ali deck too.

Edit: played a few more games and the deck is fun but there's no interaction... barely any decisions. I hope there's a good way to stop field of the dead in the next standard because aside from the Ali deck game above, most matches were pretty boring. I don't care what my opponent does because I'm either going to wipe it or block with my million zombie tokens. So I just sit around waiting to make tokens or waiting to jace for the victory.

Also, feather is probably dead until we see something good in the next set. I tried it since its the only deck I have due to limited wild cards and it took me a number of tries to get the first 200xp. Reckless rage is the straw that stirs the drink in that deck. And surprisingly, adanto guy is a way better two drop than the next best alternative.

Homers BBBq fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 10, 2019

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Can't get a single Golos win past the All Cavalcade Event. tilting hard and can't stop the post.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kater posted:

Funny way to stuff Cavalcade decks: Ethereal Absolution.

Also lol event gives 200 not 250. I'm really glad I don't need the xp and am just playing cuz its a crazy format.

The 200 xp thing triggers my ocd pretty fiercely. And I don't even need the xp.

Edit: 2-0 with turbofog, but I know that it will fold instantly to Cavalcade.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 10, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As someone who ended up with an amount of xp that wasn't a multiple of 250, I appreciate having the chance to fix that up.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GrandpaPants posted:

The 200 xp thing triggers my ocd pretty fiercely. And I don't even need the xp.

Yeah, once I realized I was good to hit 100 it still took a me a second to go “oh poo poo, I don’t need this”

FWIW Azorius Flyers got me a solid ~70% win rate

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Ugh. I let too many dailies rot this season. I’m only level 71.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Event is rigged so that everyone gets game 2 vs cavalcade-on-turn-2.dec and gets frustrated and buys levels. Just play cavalcade, its the only real deck in the format. If you try to get cute and make an anti-cavalcade deck, all your matches will be against gates.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chadzok posted:

Can't get a single Golos win past the All Cavalcade Event. tilting hard and can't stop the post.

Two things to keep in mind with the deck:

1. Your hand should either have a Gates Ablaze or a Grazer in the opener. Since this is best of one you should assume your opponent is playing an aggro deck when you make your mulligan decisions
2. Do not be afraid to have your golos search up Plaza of harmony for the lifegain. Its not ideal but you can also get thornwood if you are desperate.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So apparently you can have 6 copies of cavalcade in your deck so you always have it on turn 2. I've literally never seen someone play a mountain and not have cavalcade on 2. Usually on 3 as well. I've never seen that deck whiff, even though its technically possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Click this before the proper name comes out http://mythicspoiler.com/ted/cards/bearsuplex.html

note I have no idea how you can call that art anything else

I look forward to the bear counterattack, which is some sort of piledriver (which according to wikipedia was invented by bears)