Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Wendell posted:

I’m not clicking that article. It really says she couldn’t have been abused because she didn’t tweet about it at the time?
Basically. Their argument mainly boils down to Quinn made happy tweets about developing games then so Quinn couldn't possibly have been in an abusive situation also their ex(the guy who started GG) said *fart*

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Wendell posted:

I’m not clicking that article. It really says she couldn’t have been abused because she didn’t tweet about it at the time?

It takes tweets about outings, working on some game with him, and knowing when her flight was as proof she was lying.

However, the tweets supposed screenshots from a since deactivated account, soooo, not exactly the most trustworthy of sources.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rynoto posted:

I wonder what it is about this thread that could possibly be attracting the far-right gamergate conspiracy types.

Nothing of value was lost when an abuser killed themselves instead of facing the reckoning for their actions.
The opportunity for an abuser to possibly face the legal consequences for the actions was lost... which, even if you consider his suicide punishment enough, is still a real loss on a systemic level. Demonstrating that these people can and will receive punishment when their crimes become known is as important and valuable as the punishment itself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It takes tweets about outings, working on some game with him, and knowing when her flight was as proof she was lying.

However, the tweets supposed screenshots from a since deactivated account, soooo, not exactly the most trustworthy of sources.

Even if those tweets were real it proves approximately jack poo poo.

My dad physically beat the poo poo out of me for years but you can sure find some old family photos of us smiling together because abusers are great at convincing you it's your fault and you should just act like everything's normal.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Even if those tweets were real it proves approximately jack poo poo.

My dad physically beat the poo poo out of me for years but you can sure find some old family photos of us smiling together because abusers are great at convincing you it's your fault and you should just act like everything's normal.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean if they were real it would prove anything.

Just, there's not proof they're even real to begin with.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Their account is reactivated because people kept trying to hack it, as far as I can tell the tweets are real(I checked a few and they are there) but they still don't prove anything.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

The opportunity for an abuser to possibly face the legal consequences for the actions was lost... which, even if you consider his suicide punishment enough, is still a real loss on a systemic level. Demonstrating that these people can and will receive punishment when their crimes become known is as important and valuable as the punishment itself.

On the other hand, trusting the legal system to do the right thing in matters like this is kind of a stretch, not to mention the stress, time, and money that goes into something like lawsuits. I'm not saying that it's a good thing he killed himself, that whole argument has been very thoroughly addressed earlier in the thread (tl;dr Holokwa killing himself isn't making any of his victims feel better, in fact it's probably making them feel worse, to say nothing of tossing gasoline on the gamergate trashfire), but I highly doubt that had he not killed himself that he would have been made into some sort of shining example of the power of the legal system to mete out suitable consequences. "Cancel culture" exists because of systemic failures by society to adequately address these issues. Zak S, to bring up an earlier example of mine, isn't going to be sued for all the poo poo he did, in fact he's the one trying to sue the ex-girlfriend who spoke out about how he abused her, the point of publicly outing his lovely behavior was to let everyone know in unambiguous terms "this man is an abuser and a sexual predator, don't trust him, don't get into bed with him."

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Black Griffon posted:

Just started playing FFXIV, and even though it's not explicitly gay, it's enabling my gay half very much and I love it for that.

My headcanon is that all the cat people in that game are trans and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

Also, a quick reminder that Zoe Quinn uses they/them pronouns.

Edit^: maybe they could have sued in some way, but would it still even be within the statute of limitations? Rape/sexual assault often doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to report/prosecute.

Araenna fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 10, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Araenna posted:

My headcanon is that all the cat people in that game are trans and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

Also, a quick reminder that Zoe Quinn uses they/them pronouns.

Oh dang, I didn't know that, my bad. Good to know for the future.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand, trusting the legal system to do the right thing in matters like this is kind of a stretch, not to mention the stress, time, and money that goes into something like lawsuits.
Of course, that's certainly correct. What I mean to say is that any situation like this loses the legal system an opportunity to establish that kind of trust. I mean, look at the way Vic Mignogna's slander suit is practically being laughed out of the courts. Seeing the situation many here expected turned around on its head like that, even just maybe, is something that can never happen now. That's a kind of loss in its own right, because ultimately, we don't want to have to rely on something like what happen here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this man abused me and manipulated me into believing i deserved it and i should be happy to be with him

oh yeah??? then why are you happy with him in these tweets???

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Jesus christ the posts in this thread.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ka0 posted:

Wanna elaborate, considering you threw down a link from a loving conservative loony site and called it a good loving read?

Edit: not that I have any loving faith, but hell, surprise me

Ka0 posted:

I can't believe someone killed himself over a tweet by zoe quinn, of all people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ka0 posted:

Here's a much more interesting one I'd recommend for you.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The link might be but the tweets and the the person that quoted them aren't. But go ahead with your dogpiling, have a ball.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

A quick skim through their other articles reveals headlines like "Rashida Tlaib just can’t quit her anti-Semitism" and "In 2019, men are broke and broken by wokeness" so I definitely feel like their article about how Zoe Quinn literally murdered a man with her vile irresponsible ways is definitely reputable.

PM is a Canadian alt-right haven. They seem to have been founded to push the "People's Party of Canada" who are basically our party of pure hatred and xenophobia.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ka0 posted:

The link might be but the tweets and the the person that quoted them aren't. But go ahead with your dogpiling, have a ball.

The writer of that article also writes for Quilette and there is a Quartering video in the article.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ka0 posted:

Nice parting shot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

do you have any counterarguments or are you just mad that people disagreed with an article from a site that contains such sterling reporting as 'random stranger yells at adam sandler on street,' 'in #metoo overreach, celebrities are fighting back - and winning - in court,' and an article celebrating the fact that canadian schools are now legally required to tell parents if their kids join gay-straight alliance meetings at school, literally sentencing gay kids to verbal and physical abuse by homophobic parents?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

do you have any counterarguments or are you just mad that people disagreed with an article from a site that contains such sterling reporting as 'random stranger yells at adam sandler on street,' 'in #metoo overreach, celebrities are fighting back - and winning - in court,' and an article celebrating the fact that canadian schools are now legally required to tell parents if their kids join gay-straight alliance meetings at school, literally sentencing gay kids to verbal and physical abuse by homophobic parents?

I say with no hyperbole that this is, at some point, going to end up resulting in a dead child.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

again, even if the tweets are true, what do they prove.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Hub Cat posted:

The writer of that article also writes for Quilette and there is a Quartering video in the article.

Jesus loving christ. You don't trust this poo poo Ka0. You don't trust that they haven't ommited tweets, you don't trust that they haven't read every single tweet in bad faith, you don't trust their analysis, you don't trust anything they say. You especially don't trust anyone who writes for loving Quillette.

gently caress.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Not at all. The tweets themselves weren't made up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ka0 posted:

How did you end up coming across that article?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ka0 posted:

Christ you are stupid

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

again, even if the tweets are true, what do they prove.

Your Honor, the tweets demonstrate that I would dearly like the bad man who made games I like to not be bad, thereby absolving me of responsibility to think thoughts.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Black Griffon posted:

Jesus loving christ. You don't trust this poo poo Ka0. You don't trust that they haven't ommited tweets, you don't trust that they haven't read every single tweet in bad faith, you don't trust their analysis, you don't trust anything they say. You especially don't trust anyone who writes for loving Quillette.

gently caress.

You guys really are the modern version of bible ladies getting the vapors around the unclean.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

And? Even if they're real, what does that prove?

People pretend everything is a-okay while facing abuse ALL THE TIME. Someone in the thread brought up their experience with it. I did it, while facing physical and sexual abuse. I know many other people that did it. It's a known phenomenon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

And again, if real, what do they prove? The entire point of psychological abuse is that it leads you behave as if everything is normal. That's it works. someone's twitter timeline is not a deep insight into their moral character. its just things they type into a box. she could have typed that the man was the son of god and had come to cure the world's ills and it wouldnt make him somehow incapable of abuse. its a tweet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The fact that people do it so consistently and often so convincingly is part of why domestic abuse cases have such a hard time getting even close friends to believe them at times.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Abuse can't possibly be going on unless the so called victim looks like they're literally dying of famine, sunken eyes hollow with the things they've seen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this thread's just getting a greatest hits lineup of the forum's scant surviving gamergate enthusiasts

loving natetimm of all people, jfc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Okay.

What does that mean? What your argument? You seem to be relying on the idea that all abuse is obvious and blatant and that involves a staggering and unbelievable ignorance of abuse.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm not a gamergate enthusiast. Also I haven't attacked anyone in this thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People don't do this poo poo because they're trying to convince or persuade us but so that in the future when a random lurker skims a thread casually they just see the link and the "controversy" of people arguing about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I'm not a gamergate enthusiast. Also I haven't attacked anyone in this thread.

You literally linked to a Gamergate-associated website, so if you are not then you made a fairly bad impression. It appears more like you wanted to drop a link in the hopes someone would read it without context and 'start asking questions' without even getting that the link you dropped doesn't actually say anything meaningful.

Beyond that you haven't actually answered any questions people asked you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how the end just awkwardly handwaves away all the corroboration.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

new phone who dis posted:

You guys really are the modern version of bible ladies getting the vapors around the unclean.

I'm confused by what you're trying to say here? Are you just unhappy with the tone being used? Because if so then for god's sake stop being a baby.

Ka0 posted:

Also I haven't attacked anyone in this thread.

Literally nobody said you did.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
even assuming Zoe lied or heavily embellished her story it still doesn't change the other womens' accounts, even his own sister admitted the dude had done some pretty bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

What's your point?