Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
How formal can you be carrying a trunk everywhere you go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Be nice, elephants don't have a good grasp of style because they can't use computers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

what are droids in this analogy :smith:

I mean Lucas specifically based them off the two peasants in The Hidden Fortress. (In at least one early draft they were human functionaries but he decided robots made a better analogy.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID OF THE MOUSE!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In any sci-fi/fantasy property it always feels a waste if the exotic races aren't relevant to the cast. Final Fantasy XII had a world of pig-men, cat-plushies, and lizard-dudes. However your party consisted of six humans, one of whom is dressed up as a Playboy Bunny. That Star Wars flop was completely out of ideas. After numerous reshoots the best villain they could up with was Paul Bettany with a knife. He has two scenes and absolutely nothing to remember him by.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean Star Wars itself has a whole cantina of weird creatures and the climax is a bunch of humans shooting at each other in spaceships, but also a Wookie roars

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In any sci-fi/fantasy property it always feels a waste if the exotic races aren't relevant to the cast. Final Fantasy XII had a world of pig-men, cat-plushies, and lizard-dudes. However your party consisted of six humans, one of whom is dressed up as a Playboy Bunny. That Star Wars flop was completely out of ideas. After numerous reshoots the best villain they could up with was Paul Bettany with a knife. He has two scenes and absolutely nothing to remember him by.

Dragon Quest consistently having humans as player characters when the best thing Toriyama draws are humanoid aliens/beasts is always a low point

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

Dragon Quest consistently having humans as player characters when the best thing Toriyama draws are humanoid aliens/beasts is always a low point

Hell in Blue Dragon there is an entire massive sidequest that never gets mentioned by players involving the Beastfolk and their problems that's completely missable.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Frog was the best Chrono Trigger character.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Robo, yo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arivia posted:

Robo, yo.

Robo has better music, he is not a better character.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ20N6syuwc I did not notice that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Weird way to spell Ayla but w/e.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lotta disgruntled Shining Force fans in here

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

lotta disgruntled Shining Force fans in here

SF2 was the best RPG for the Genesis. FITE ME (on a grid in a turn-based way)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://youtu.be/DqFHJvk2vYY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pick posted:

If it has dragons, it's fantasy. If it has aliens, it's science fiction. This is the correct, and indeed, the only way to categorize media.

Uhhh...

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ20N6syuwc I did not notice that.

This has always been my favorite rickroll.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Science-Fantasy has sadly fallen out of favor, but games like Wizardry and Might & Magic remain in my heart, and on my hard drive.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There was a killer robot in the very first final fantasy game

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Was it Bender? :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Science-Fantasy has sadly fallen out of favor, but games like Wizardry and Might & Magic remain in my heart, and on my hard drive.

Final Fantasy still dips into this all the time, but if you want a less typical example I'd suggest Endless Legend. It's basically a corner of a sci-fi universe breaking into insane fantasy and it's great.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The first Final Fantasy Legend was really good for that. Start off in a medieval world with swords and magic, sure why not. Next "tier", of the tower, ocean world with pirates and cannons? Cool. Third tier, sky world with airships and rebels fighting against an evil empire? Huh, kinda cliche but okay. Fourth tier? POST-APOCALYPTIC JAPAN WITH HOVERBIKES AND DEATH ROBOTS? Wait, what?

And then you fight God. With a chainsaw if you want.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Final Fantasy Legend (SaGa) games are some bizarre bizarre stuff. Eating meat to turn yourself and party members into zombies, monsters, aliens, and robots. They remade SaGa 2 and 3 on DS in Japan. I wish we would have got them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Final Fantasy always* double dips, usually with it's magic counterpart fueling their machines. Magitek, going to the Moon in 4, Cid's inventions in 7, the Space station in 8, and so on. Usually some big rear end ship or tank being powered by whatever is their current magic thingy.

*Probably not in all of them but frequently enough that is might as well be a recurring theme.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Frog didn't grow an entire forest or have half the heartbreaking pathos.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Frog didn't grow an entire forest or have half the heartbreaking pathos.

Robo had half the pathos of Frog, and wasn’t heroic enough to wield the Masamune, you cretin.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If you didn't think the scene where Frog wields the fully-awakened Masamune was the coolest poo poo, then you're wrong.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

If you didn't think the scene where Frog wields the fully-awakened Masamune was the coolest poo poo, then you're wrong.

I thought it was cool but Robo getting beaten up by the other robots for the sin of having made friends with humans was more impactful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You’re wrong

I guess it was literally more impactful. Like there were more actual physical impacts. Is that what you meant by impactful? Physical impacts?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i like magus :byodood:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Robo got deleted in Chrono Cross like a chump, Frog had the good sense to not appear at all outside another character that shares his name and nothing else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Samuringa posted:

Final Fantasy always* double dips, usually with it's magic counterpart fueling their machines. Magitek, going to the Moon in 4, Cid's inventions in 7, the Space station in 8, and so on. Usually some big rear end ship or tank being powered by whatever is their current magic thingy.

*Probably not in all of them but frequently enough that is might as well be a recurring theme.

Whether FFII or III goes for a combo sci-fi/fantasy depends on how you consider airships with nothing super special powering them, because that's basically the only big tech-y part of those. Otherwise, yeah, even in the ones that don't make that mix a big part of their setting and are mostly just straight fantasy (so, 1-5, 9, a surprising amount of 14) will usually have a dungeon or two that just decides to go hard on the sci-fi out of nowhere.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Early computer RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima had completely random sci-fi elements thrown in for no reason too. Hell I think dungeons and dragons was doing that back in the 70s. Nerds love to cram parts of their nerdiness together wherever possible

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

the_steve posted:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTCUHRdpZo

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Early computer RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima had completely random sci-fi elements thrown in for no reason too. Hell I think dungeons and dragons was doing that back in the 70s. Nerds love to cram parts of their nerdiness together wherever possible

The second session of DnD ever ran had somebody show up wanting to be a cowboy and Gary Gygax just went with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murlynd

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

There was a 1st ed D&D module that took place in a crashed UFO, but with the caveat of describing it like a typically D&D character, with no concept of UFOs, would understand it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Aesop Poprock posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/barrier-peaks-wtf/1/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OutOfPrint posted:

There was a 1st ed D&D module that took place in a crashed UFO, but with the caveat of describing it like a typically D&D character, with no concept of UFOs, would understand it.

Probably Expedition to Barrier Peak?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fascism is by definition totalitarian. The fact Nazi Germany had a couple of elections under Hitler is because they were transitioning from a democratic state to a fascist one, not because fascists have elections. It's tough to tell how a fascist state would evolve because they generally got stomped out as quickly as possible, but Spain kept one for 36 years and it was pretty totalitarian. The United Citizen Federation was a junta. Whether it was a democratic junta or a representative democracy is unclear.

Also fascists don't allow freedom of religion and there are Mormons in Starship Troopers. Or there were.

I'm an idiot that has watched the other starship troopers films and those make it more explicit that the politicians are chosen by a singular party apparatus and have to be citizens and win by giant North Korea style margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Captain Monkey posted:

gently caress i missed this but 100% yes

dude was always part of my team unless i wanted to gently caress around with triple techs

also aways spared magus. hes too useful.