Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

He never liked horror movies except for Maximum Overdrive and They Live for some reason

I believe that if you do your research, you will arrive at the appropriate conclusion, which is that They Live owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Splint Chesthair posted:

I believe that if you do your research, you will arrive at the appropriate conclusion, which is that They Live owns bones.

Oh yeah I love it, just pointing out that it’s weird that my dad liked two horror-ish movies and basically no others.

Though I did just remember he loved Big Trouble in Little China and Starman, so he may have just had a thing for Carpenter movies without knowing it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I forgot to mention that my showing of IT 2 there was a 12-13 year old girl and her mother next to me that talked every 20-30 seconds THE ENTIRE loving MOVIE. They didn't even whisper.. just kept commenting on the movie and during scary scenes kept going OH NO!, OH NO!

I wanted Pennywise to pop out from under their seats and do the ol' chomp chomp.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They were Pennywise. He's toying with you. Next time he plans to sit next to you on public transport and watch a Terrance Malick flick on his phone without headphones.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Joe Bob poo poo is weird, considering his opening monologue in the TCM episode of Last Drive In is a long bit about the United States being built on a foundation of exploitation and racism.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

The Joe Bob poo poo is weird, considering his opening monologue in the TCM episode of Last Drive In is a long bit about the United States being built on a foundation of exploitation and racism.

Probably stems from free speech absolutism.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
He also did a segment on the North Carolina transgender bathroom stuff during The Last Drive In and took the side of “leave people the gently caress alone and let them use whatever bathroom they want”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

He also did a segment on the North Carolina transgender bathroom stuff during The Last Drive In and took the side of “leave people the gently caress alone and let them use whatever bathroom they want”
I was kind of hopeful when he told a joke about there being a gender neutral bathroom in the trailer, on account of there being only one bathroom in the trailer. But this other stuff sucks.

Excepting the politics I prefer his shtick, which includes a lot of trivia, over Elvira's, which is mostly just jokes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/closetsmonster/status/1170836802535477248?s=21

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All this Joe Bob talk makes me glad I subscribe to the good book of Svengoolie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BT_9ZDaLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5oIx4Hr0sA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone knows I'm the best horror host. Does Elvira ever give anyone free pizza?

feedmyleg posted:

Christine is terrific, though the climax is a bit of a letdown. And it's the rare film where I wish they would have included the planned backstory.

If it's the one from the book, I completely disagree. An evil car that just exists is a lot more creepy and interesting than the ghost of a wife beater. Like it's fun to know that going into the film and think of it as additional context, but the car itself works as a metaphor for addiction.

Blast Fantasto posted:

The first 10-15 minutes of Maximum Overdrive are fun as hell. Bridge collapse, ATM insulting Stephen King, dude getting nailed in the nards by a vending machine, kid getting run over by a steam roller, AC/DC blasting the whole time.

The rest of the movie has no chance of living up to all that ownage

The rest of the movie doesn't even try. It's so loving boring, and then the movie stops mid-scene because they ran out of money. They really needed to get out of that loving diner/gas station much earlier and have more adventures in the machine apocalypse.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 9, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/el_zombo/status/1171174580859351040?s=20

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King is so weird looking. Like he has some kind of extremely rare chromosomal anomaly or something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DeimosRising posted:

King is so weird looking. Like he has some kind of extremely rare chromosomal anomaly or something

That's not a nice thing to say about someone.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I will say a positive thing about It 2, which I actually thought was firmly okay despite all the criticisms I have of it - James Ransone was great in this, despite almost all of the hype going to Bill Hader.

Ransone is the one where I most felt like, holy poo poo he is the grown up version of the child-Eddie from Chapter 1.

Reaching way back for this but I just had the epiphany that Ransone was fuckin Ziggy Sobotka on The Wire. I'd read about it a while back and was like "neat" but I guess I forgot because I was having serious I-know-this-guy vibes any time he was on screen.

But yeah, he killed it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Last Wednesday one of the local Regals played IT Chapter 1, so I went to see it again in anticipation of Chapter 2. Ended up being the only person in the theater, so that was p dope. Saw Chapter 2 over the weekend and largely enjoyed it. Any gripe(s) I had are basically the same ones already mentioned.

One thing that I kinda found myself chuckling at:
When Pennywise is terrorizing Richie with the "I know your secret" bit, I couldn't help but like the idea that Pennywise was totally oblivious to the social change that's taken place regarding LGBT rights/issues because he's been asleep for the last 27 years. For Richie to just come back like, "wait, THAT'S your angle? Buddy, I've been publicly out forever. My second standup special was all about it," would have made me fall out of my chair

Unrelated: Crawl and Ready or Not were both fun as hell, despite their flaws.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

I guess the intent might be to provide catharsis. The first movie is about the horrors of childhood. The second is about confronting them. Alex McLevy at the A.V. Club makes a similar argument here.

A related argument was made by Grady Hendrix about the book in his 2013 review for The Great Stephen King Re-Read. That is, his conclusion was "It isn't a book about the magical power of childhood, it's a book about growing up". Stressing, for example, the ways in which it's sex-positive (by 80s standards) as compared to its contemporaries.

quote:

The book ends not with a battle, not with horror, not with Pennywise, but with Bill trying to connect with his wife who has slipped into a coma. In the last passage in the book he wakes up in bed next to her, touches her, remembers his childhood, but also thinks about how good it is to change, to grow, to be an adult.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 10, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Speaking of Grady Hendrix. Satanic Panic is not good and you shouldn't bother with it unless you can see it for free.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Casimir Radon posted:

Speaking of Grady Hendrix. Satanic Panic is not good and you shouldn't bother with it unless you can see it for free.

How is it not good? I've been hearing lots of raves over it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Today I spent like 10 minutes of a job interview talking to my future employer about the Child's Play movies.

I ended up getting the job.

Horror movies truly are the great unifier of society.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

How is it not good? I've been hearing lots of raves over it.
I don't want to bash it too much for being cheap, because it obvious didn't have much of a budget, and they had some good practical effects mixed it. Now the middle of the movie just dragged badly, and that's where most of the poor acting came out. Some of the more seasoned actors knew how to do their own thing, but the younger ones didn't seem to be getting the direction they needer. Ruby Modine in particular was good in Happy Death Day 1 & 2, but seemed like she wasn't getting what she needed for a good performance here.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Today I spent like 10 minutes of a job interview talking to my future employer about the Child's Play movies.

I ended up getting the job.

Horror movies truly are the great unifier of society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMVKmK1teo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

If it's the one from the book, I completely disagree. An evil car that just exists is a lot more creepy and interesting than the ghost of a wife beater. Like it's fun to know that going into the film and think of it as additional context, but the car itself works as a metaphor for addiction.

Watching Christine with my roommate last year, she said the car was grieving and I can't exactly refute that if you missed the opening scene

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Re: Maximum Overdrive, any movie that features Pat Hingle hip-firing a rocket launcher is worth at least a lazy Sunday rewatch every couple of years.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

The change of historian from Mike to Ben is sort of okay in Chapter 1, but then Chapter 2 makes it retroactively worse as Mike's role as the historian is restored and child-Ben gets to do his architecture stuff.

So child-Mike's role is reduced to "kills goats" I guess

And to be a crack baby for some reason

I guess having his dad be a soldier who rescues people from a KKK attack is too risqué for this movie about eating children

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tart Kitty posted:

Re: Maximum Overdrive, any movie that features Pat Hingle hip-firing a rocket launcher is worth at least a lazy Sunday rewatch every couple of years.

Yeah bubba

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AdmiralViscen posted:

I guess having his dad be a soldier who rescues people from a KKK attack is too risqué for this movie about eating children

He wasn't a crack baby. That was Pennywise's influence on the town.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pennywise wasn’t lying about Bill just not feeling like going outside that day, or about Richie’s secret, so I don’t see why we should take the crack thing as a complete lie. I took the changed headline as the article being less dehumanizing in its framing, rather than it converting from an outright falsehood to truth.

Either way they completely scrubbed the racism subplot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd say what makes that different is that is what the town wrote about the incident as public record as opposed too Pennywise directly saying it, but idk.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Rewatching Killer Klowns makes me sad the remake was scrapped. Most of the klown antics are still fun but there's a lot of not-klown antics that could afford some tightening up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Rewatching Killer Klowns makes me sad the remake was scrapped. Most of the klown antics are still fun but there's a lot of not-klown antics that could afford some tightening up.

The last time I watched it I remember being struck by how the movie somehow felt both grotesque and simultaneously restrained. Other than the throwing pie and handpuppet deaths, the actual “horror” of the movie is pretty tame, with the Klown designs doing most of the heavy lifting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Casimir Radon posted:

I watched it over the weekend and I thought it was fine. Definitely not great, but I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a few times and there are some great practical effects (and one or two that are hilariously bad and only endeared the movie to me more).

My biggest complaint is that it's shot like an episode of a sitcom. Static cameras pointing at small crowds of people, always at eye level. The movie is just consistently boring to look at.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

XIII posted:

One thing that I kinda found myself chuckling at:
When Pennywise is terrorizing Richie with the "I know your secret" bit, I couldn't help but like the idea that Pennywise was totally oblivious to the social change that's taken place regarding LGBT rights/issues because he's been asleep for the last 27 years. For Richie to just come back like, "wait, THAT'S your angle? Buddy, I've been publicly out forever. My second standup special was all about it," would have made me fall out of my chair

Oh my god this was such a missed opportunity

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tart Kitty posted:

jesus, is that what the whip pan looks like in the movie? That's awful

AdmiralViscen posted:

He wasn't. At the end, he says he's been listening to Pennywise's lies for 35 years, or something like that, and it shows the same history book with CRACKHEADS DIE IN FIRE and it actually says something like "Two dead in electrical blaze."

Petr fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 10, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Petr posted:

He wasn't. At the end, he says he's been listening to Pennywise's lies for 35 years, or something like that, and it shows the same history book with CRACKHEADS DIE IN FIRE and it actually says something like "Two dead in electrical blaze."

Yeah, I'm going to take the article Mike sees initially as It just taking advantage of the racism in Derry that Mike faced as a kid to gently caress with him. Just like how It appeared to Ben as Beverly insulting him and his crush on her.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
So is IT 2 the end of the franchise, or are we going to get a bunch of increasingly cheaper flicks based on the interludes and cutaways? I'd be down for 50s set prequel based on the bits where It kills kiddies in the form of various universal monsters. Toss in a framing device involving Mike researching the town between cycles.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Toss in a framing device involving Mike getting chased by a horrifying prehistoric bird

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

High Warlord Zog posted:

So is IT 2 the end of the franchise, or are we going to get a bunch of increasingly cheaper flicks based on the interludes and cutaways? I'd be down for 50s set prequel based on the bits where It kills kiddies in the form of various universal monsters. Toss in a framing device involving Mike researching the town between cycles.

Skarsgård has said he's open to playing Pennywise again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want to know who thought it was a good idea to remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and remove the chainsaw massacre from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Iron Crowned posted:

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and remove the chainsaw massacre from it?

There's no chainsaw massacre in the first one