Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeimosRising posted:

There's no chainsaw massacre in the first one

There's a lot more Leatherface kicking down doors and squealing, and a lot less weird rear end hillbilly poo poo that goes nowhere.

Also is there a good Blu or 4k of the original TCM out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

High Warlord Zog posted:

So is IT 2 the end of the franchise, or are we going to get a bunch of increasingly cheaper flicks based on the interludes and cutaways? I'd be down for 50s set prequel based on the bits where It kills kiddies in the form of various universal monsters. Toss in a framing device involving Mike researching the town between cycles.

Andy Muschietti said it's the end of the story of the Losers, but It appears in other Stephen King works and there's no reason they can't do prequels set as far back in time as they want.

He also did an interview where he said they cut something like 1 hour 15 minutes from the movie and he's in talks to do a supercut of both films, completely uncut, even with additional scenes filmed to add in. Basically just 6 or 7 hours fully adapting the source material.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a lot more Leatherface kicking down doors and squealing, and a lot less weird rear end hillbilly poo poo that goes nowhere.

Also is there a good Blu or 4k of the original TCM out there?

There was a 40th anniversary blu that came out five years ago from Dark Sky. It uses a new 4K restoration.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DeimosRising posted:

There's no chainsaw massacre in the first one

I mean, the guy doing all of the killing at least owns a chainsaw (that he uses to kill one guy) so there's that :shrug:

Is four people considered a "massacre"? Is anything more than a single person a massacre?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

M_Sinistrari posted:

How is it not good? I've been hearing lots of raves over it.

Yea, it looks like comedy house of the devil, and I like Grady’s books and the last movie he wrote (Mohawk) was excellent. I mean it could suck, but I’d be kind of surprised given the track record.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and remove the chainsaw massacre from it?

P sure only one person was killed with a chainsaw in the original bubba

edit-- haha whoops very beaten

edit2-- it's also an incredible movie and I will countenance no ill speaking of it, good sir

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

chitoryu12 posted:

Andy Muschietti said it's the end of the story of the Losers, but It appears in other Stephen King works and there's no reason they can't do prequels set as far back in time as they want.

He also did an interview where he said they cut something like 1 hour 15 minutes from the movie and he's in talks to do a supercut of both films, completely uncut, even with additional scenes filmed to add in. Basically just 6 or 7 hours fully adapting the source material.

Does it appear? I know it's indirectly referenced in a couple books set in Derry, and there's a possible glamour in Dark Tower, but I can't think of a story where It makes a direct appearance.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Petr posted:

Does it appear? I know it's indirectly referenced in a couple books set in Derry, and there's a possible glamour in Dark Tower, but I can't think of a story where It makes a direct appearance.

I can’t remember where for the life of me, but I’m almost certain there’s a book or a short story where somebody actually sees Pennywise in passing. I could be wrong, but I also feel like I can almost visualize the passage that describe the encounter

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tart Kitty posted:

I can’t remember where for the life of me, but I’m almost certain there’s a book or a short story where somebody actually sees Pennywise in passing. I could be wrong, but I also feel like I can almost visualize the passage that describe the encounter

Insomnia maybe? There's a lot of shared universe stuff in that one

e: there's a Stephen King wiki because of course there is, and it says It is mentioned in:
Gray Matter (mentioned)
Dreamcatcher (mentioned)
The Tommyknockers (possibly a hallucination)
11/22/63 (mentioned)
Insomnia (mentioned)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So general question: Has there ever been a horror film that, for whatever reason, made you actvily and honestly angry?

There were two for me:

Megan is Missing was both so loving awful, and so deeply mean spirited and nasty that I honestly felt pissed after watching it. I can handle awful acting and some of the worst directing of all time, but add to that some of the weirdest/gross dialogue I've ever heard (made 100 times worse because the characters are meant to be young teens despite being played be actresses who are clearly in their early to mid 20's) and the biggest gently caress YOU ending ever in a found footage movie that didn't end with a web address and I honestly wanted to have my time back.

Second was Green Inferno, a movie whose entire message is "HEH, YOU loving SJW CUCKS WANNA HELP SAVE THE RAINFOREST? WELP GUESS WHAT? THE SAVAGE EVIL DISGUSTING MONSTER NATIVES WILL TEAR YOU APART AND EAT YOU. TRIGGERED YET?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tart Kitty posted:

wikipedia posted:

In the novel The Tommyknockers, set in 1988, three years after the events of IT, when Tommy Jacklin visits Derry on a supply run, he sees a “clown with shiny silver dollar eyes” watching him from the sewers, confirmed by Stephen King to be It in the form of Pennywise

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Ah. I know I read Tommyknockers at some point, but I think I must have erased it from my memory because I only vaguely remember the plot.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, the guy doing all of the killing at least owns a chainsaw (that he uses to kill one guy) so there's that :shrug:

Is four people considered a "massacre"? Is anything more than a single person a massacre?

The Texas Chainsaw-Hammer-Meat Hook-Truck Massacre

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bingo. That’s the one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

I'm sure if you return to your hometown it will all come flooding back to you. :tinfoil:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Poughkeepsie Tapes have a TON of failings and is nowhere near a great or even good movie but I had to admit, there are a few pretty masterfully constructed scenes that absolutely beg to have been part of a better movie. The entire stalking scene of the couple in the house is absolutely fantastic and one of the most dreadfilled and suspenseful scenes in a found footage and shows that if the director had someone to hold him back and work with him to curb his annoying bullshit and....get much better actors he could pull off a kick rear end horror film.

It's such a frustrating movie because there are these glimpses of an awesome film gleaming through the absolute dreck that the rest of the movie consists of. Why the gently caress do you want to make these lovely snuff film bullshit scenes that are in no way scary so long and not go with your obvious skill in quiet creepy stalking scenes?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 10, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure if you return to your hometown it will all come flooding back to you. :tinfoil:

:choco:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

When I was a kid I rented Bubble Bobble a couple of times and I could never beat level 30 because I was too stupid to know you could jump onto and bounce off of the bubbles and that was the first level where you HAD to do that to beat it and so I was killed by that single thing more times than any other enemy or boss in any other video game combined. It was just the inevitable end of the game to me that you jump around confused for a minute until a dinosaur ghost consumes you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes have a TON of failings and is nowhere near a great or even good movie but I had to admit, there are a few pretty masterfully constructed scenes that absolutely beg to have been part of a better movie. The entire stalking scene of the couple in the house is absolutely fantastic and one of the most dreadfilled and suspenseful scenes in a found footage and shows that if the director had someone to hold him back and work with him to curb his annoying bullshit and....get much better actors he could pull off a kick rear end horror film.

It's such a frustrating movie because there are these glimpses of an awesome film gleaming through the absolute dreck that the rest of the movie consists of. Why the gently caress do you want to make these lovely snuff film bullshit scenes that are in no way scary so long and not go with your obvious skill in quiet creepy stalking scenes?

The scene where they discover the tortured girl and then her whole interview and suicide, that entire part is one of the most disturbing put to film imo. I agree completely, that movie has some scenes and lines that are BRILLIANT but those are drowned out by an ocean of general shittiness.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

So general question: Has there ever been a horror film that, for whatever reason, made you actvily and honestly angry?

There were two for me:

Megan is Missing was both so loving awful, and so deeply mean spirited and nasty that I honestly felt pissed after watching it. I can handle awful acting and some of the worst directing of all time, but add to that some of the weirdest/gross dialogue I've ever heard (made 100 times worse because the characters are meant to be young teens despite being played be actresses who are clearly in their early to mid 20's) and the biggest gently caress YOU ending ever in a found footage movie that didn't end with a web address and I honestly wanted to have my time back.

Second was Green Inferno, a movie whose entire message is "HEH, YOU loving SJW CUCKS WANNA HELP SAVE THE RAINFOREST? WELP GUESS WHAT? THE SAVAGE EVIL DISGUSTING MONSTER NATIVES WILL TEAR YOU APART AND EAT YOU. TRIGGERED YET?"

Hard agree on both of these. I remember being very angry at Deadgirl when I saw it but nothing like these two.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean he went on to direct some pretty great movies including forum favorite As Above, So Below so I guess that did in fact happen

Did anyone watch the Dowdles’ Waco miniseries?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

There were two for me:

I haven't seen Megan is Missing (and based on its reputation, don't intend to) but definitely agreed on Green Inferno. Knock Knock made me angry too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've got a couple as well.

To absolutely no one in this thread's surprise, Cabin in the Woods. Only Joss Whedon could take what would be an intriguing premise in anyone else's hands (including Uwe Boll) and turn it into a smug, insulting, piece of poo poo. This was the only film I got up and asked the theater manager for either a refund or a ticket for anything else.

Housed. Now anyone in this thread knows I'm very forgiving of indie/low-no budget films so it's going to take some serious effort for me to be upset over quality. This one managed that. The premise of a bunch of college kids having a party when a combined zombie and demonic outbreak happens does sound like the sort of cheesy so bad it's good idea, but the director managed to find every single way to execute that idea awfully. For what's supposed to be happening over the course of months really looks like it's only happening over a couple of hours, there's a setting jump with barely any explanation of what happened from the party location to the new setting, and don't get me started on the blackface demon. This film's sitting at 4 stars on Prime and I was annoyed enough to go looking at how the hell it could rate that high since even being drunk or stoned while watching couldn't improve this one. Almost every review is from a friend of the director who say it right out in the review that they're only reviewing it because of the friendship. If I'd paid for this, I would've been livid. Instead I'm just ticked that I spent time out of my life watching it when I've got other movies on my watchlists to sit through.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Did anyone watch the Dowdles’ Waco miniseries?

The one with Taylor Kitsch?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

OldTennisCourt posted:

There were two for me:

The Open House. What even the hell. Just awful.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

There were two for me:

Funny Games made me really angry but I think it’s a good film.

Wiggy Marie posted:

The Open House. What even the hell. Just awful.

Haha yeah this too. What a mess

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Another one was All Hallow's Eve, a movie with one of the sharpest right turns into horrifyingly hatefilled misogynistic bile I have ever seen in a horror movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Visit made me angry that I paid money and sat down and watched it, it was that bad. That's the only time I remember being legitimately angry that I had paid to see a movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

feedmyleg posted:

What's a horror movie that's just a goddamn blast from start to finish?
Sleepaway Camp, Prom Night, Prom Night 2, Demons, Demons 2, Night of the Demons, Night of the Demons 2, The Stuff, Night of the Creeps, all the Oats Studios stuff. Train to Busan starts slow then stays crazy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The one with Taylor Kitsch?

Apparently! Also Michael Shannon, Andrea Riseborough, Johnny Legs, and Melissa Benoist

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

When I was a kid I rented Bubble Bobble a couple of times and I could never beat level 30 because I was too stupid to know you could jump onto and bounce off of the bubbles and that was the first level where you HAD to do that to beat it and so I was killed by that single thing more times than any other enemy or boss in any other video game combined. It was just the inevitable end of the game to me that you jump around confused for a minute until a dinosaur ghost consumes you.

Bubble Bobble: Existentialist Ghost Nightmare

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I remember being pretty disgusted with Eden Lake. I dunno, it's a movie I still feel conflicted about. It's definitely made with some degree of skill and it effectively got under my skin at times, and I think there's merit to feel-bad art, but seeing all that craft put into a movie that only seems to want to make you feel gross and scared of working class people bugged me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The Visit made me angry that I paid money and sat down and watched it, it was that bad. That's the only time I remember being legitimately angry that I had paid to see a movie.

I can’t be mad at a movie that has a dirty diaper scare in it.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

There were two for me:

Episode 50. A mockumentary/found-footage movie that gave up the found-footage gimmick without explanation towards the end, gave up any plot continuity about halfway through, and ended up being nothing more than an altar call with no actual ending.

Also Aftershock, a film co-written, produced and starring Eli Roth, which is one of the most mean-spirited and ridiculous films I've ever seen (I think there's a pattern here with Eli Roth and films made solely to watch people suffer...)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Roth's biggest sin is he's never made that Thanksgiving horror movie they had a trailer for at Grindhouse.

I'd rather have that over his last 5 movies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Martyrs: Any torture porn movie that tries to be smart by asking "What's wrong with you? Why do you enjoy this?" is preaching to the choir where I'm concerned. I hate this stuff.

Megan is Missing: This film is a satire. Being a satire does not excuse being an awfully-made piece of poo poo.

Halloween 2 (2009): Large parts of this movie recreate the experience of babysitting a friend who is having a mental breakdown and can't be reasoned with.

Anything by Uli Lommel: That this man was ever allowed anywhere near a camera is at least a mild indictment of the film industry.

Drag Me to Hell: I wasn't scared, just grossed out. It didn't help that violence against cats was a huge trigger for my girlfriend at the time, so I had to deal with that later.

Leprechaun: A horror comedy that isn't funny or scary. It tries to wring laughs out of a character who's mentally handicapped and then tries to wring genuine pathos out of it later on. The final sequence is extremely repetitive and falls flat and feels like it lasts until the heat death of the universe.

Suspiria (2018): It's like if a very talented chef, as some sort of experiment, set out to prepare a dish you love as badly as they could.

Lovecracked!: I'm not mad at this now, but I was at the time. It's an anthology film with a very loose Lovecraft theme. Some of them are quite good, others are despicably corny or just go nowhere.

I don't even think all these movies are bad, just that they're not scary in the way I want a horror movie to be, just stressful or irritating. It's why I hate how horror movie trailers now are just a series of rapid cuts accompanied by unpleasant sound effects.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

The House October Built. I’ve never once empathized with the motives of a character less than the main character getting him and his friends killed because he’s not afraid of normie haunted houses anymore.

EDIT: forgot about Brightburn. The contempt this very bad movie has for my favorite fictional character just set my rear end in a top hat hairs on fire.

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 10, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Roth's biggest sin is he's never made that Thanksgiving horror movie they had a trailer for at Grindhouse.

I'd rather have that over his last 5 movies.
The House with a Clock in its Walls is good. But otherwise I've never sat through one of his movies.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the first Leprechaun is aggressively boring in the same weird way that a lot of Vidmark/Trimark dtv poo poo was, or Full Moon too. They've got an unmistakable feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Martyrs: Any torture porn movie that tries to be smart by asking "What's wrong with you? Why do you enjoy this?" is preaching to the choir where I'm concerned. I hate this stuff.

Halloween 2 (2009): Large parts of this movie recreate the experience of babysitting a friend who is having a mental breakdown and can't be reasoned with.

Martyrs isn't torture porn and Halloween 2 rocks, you poser. Seriously out of all the New French Extremity, Martyrs is probably the LEAST exploitative and the most "intellectual". I'm curious as to why you call it torture porn beyond the fact that there is torture in it? Or does any movie that has torture qualify as pornographic? If you watch the torture scenes in Martyrs and think it's pornographic or exploitative I think that says more about you than the movie.