Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

edit wait wait wait. so the 90gpm talent at level 10 gets you the Aghs/helm faster...so you just have to wait a few more levels to get the +75 damage. Why not add a mana-draining cost to the scepter spirits so you can just run around killing everything?

It's a complete destruction of carry Io. Those 5 levels are enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

It's a complete destruction of carry Io. Those 5 levels are enormous.

:hai: Look at how often OG were pushed back to basically their highground waiting for IO to come online, then wait 5 levels and remember you aren't on OG.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ravus posted:

:hai: Look at how often OG were pushed back to basically their highground waiting for IO to come online, then wait 5 levels and remember you aren't on OG.

With that gold talent do we see the emergence of Midas IO? He doesn't even have hands.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Low-key I really do think the bigger nerf is that you just can't get the armor talent anymore. Delaying makes carry Wisp weaker but you still would eventually hit that timing; now, you actually have to build something like a Shiva's or a Lotus or something. Now you actually need to build items to solve problems.

Although tbh +90 gpm is actually really good for a level 10 talent and might actually break support Io. Actually yeah, support Wisp is probably the best hero in DotA right now because you're guaranteed to get level 10 really fast for a support and now you're going to have really good timings on getting a mek and a spirit vessel and so on.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Delaying makes carry Wisp weaker but you still would eventually hit that timing;

A part of timing is literally the time that it comes online. Delaying it means it doesn't come out at the same time during the game, which results in the 75 spirit damage being significantly less effective.

So I really don't think you can say that you will still eventually hit that timing - it's completely dead.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 6, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

A part of timing is literally the time that it comes online. Delaying it means it doesn't come out at the same time during the game, which results in the 75 spirit damage being significantly less effective.

So I really don't think you can say that you will still eventually hit that timing - it's completely dead.

You realize that OG also won with carry wisp in the late game, right? Aghs still offers a massive amount of damage. That's not why this is a huge nerf to carry wisp. They also took fights with aghs before level 15. The nerf is making it so you actually need to itemize defensively. You're no longer unkillable based on nothing but levels.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 6, 2019

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its a huge nerf to 'lets afk jungle Io from minute 5 to 20 then walk down mid and essentially win the game at minute 21', which is what OG did in most games I saw.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
OG always did that when they got aghs, not when they hit level 15. The nerf is -15 armor and not having a slow at level 10.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

You realize that OG also won with carry wisp in the late game, right? Aghs still offers a massive amount of damage. That's not why this is a huge nerf to carry wisp. They also took fights with aghs before level 15. The nerf is making it so you actually need to itemize defensively. You're no longer unkillable based on nothing but levels.

This is a ludicrous point to be honest, but you do you. Their entire strategy was built around the level 15/agh's power spike being completely overpowered for the point that you can it in the game, but sure, because they won one game late against NiP you're totally right here.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mikeraskol posted:

This is a ludicrous point to be honest, but you do you. Their entire strategy was built around the level 15/agh's power spike being completely overpowered for the point that you can it in the game, but sure, because they won one game late against NiP you're totally right here.

the game where ana supposedly told them at the end of the draft he wanted to do it so they didn't have a good draft to go with it

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

They went and took fights as soon as Ana got aghs what are you talking about. They never waited for level 15 because level 15 isn't what let you fight. You could fight as long as you had spirit slow and aghs. Aghs give you so much damage; level 15 made you stronger, but it was still a more damaging radiance that applies a slow before you got there. The problem is now you're going to have aghs and then not be able to fight because you no longer have spirit slow and then you'll hit level 20 and have to take the armor talent or else you just get blown up because overcharge is no longer sufficient as a defensive ability. The strength of Io wasn't that you hit this one power spike at 15 and became absolutely unbeatable, the strength was that you hit a power spike with aghs and then another one with level 15 and then another one with heart and the level 20 talent. It was never one singular power spike, it was a series of power spikes that made Io stronger and stronger so that it didn't matter that you went super late, Io would still get stronger and stronger because the talents you have are the best in the game.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I think you're both wrong here and right. You're significantly downplaying the "engine" of what made Io carry good.

The level 20 transition is what was used to close out (some) games, but that's not what won them. OG used the insane level 15 spike, when no other hero on the map comes even remotely close to touching Io's combination of damage and survivability, to completely take control of the game. Essentially minutes 20-26 turned into a walk over, which turned into map control which either outright won the game right there or made for an easy transition into finalizing the game. And that all happens because of that insane midgame timing, not because of the level 20 armor talent. The level 15 talent and aghs pairing was the engine and its gone.

The prime example of this is the last game of the tournament.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 6, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I don't disagree with any of that, I just think the nerf to survivability and slow timing is a bigger problem than the damage nerf.

On the other hand, support wisp is going to be banned every game for the next month or two now. Having a level 10 gpm talent on wisp of all heroes is absolutely busted.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a smaller patch than I expected tbh.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

goatface posted:

It's a smaller patch than I expected tbh.

Yeah. They didn't even nerf Vacuum.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

There's usually been a post-TI patch that knocks a lot of the meta heroes down a peg and then it's October-November for the next big version change.

Curious if the neutral bounty nerf is going to bring Radiance heroes back in line with those that build BF or Maelstrom or just want to get kills.

The NS Void buff seems... pretty aggressive. It gives him a way to secure last hits on ranged creeps from level 1, and makes him much more dangerous from minutes 10 to 15, and it's also a buff to his aghs. Maybe the awkwardness of playing around Dark Ascension is still gonna trip him up but his win rate was already pretty high in pubs. Night terror may be back boys.

I wonder if Solar Crest and Medallion got a big enough nerf as well. -1/-2 armor and 100 extra gold is certainly a nerf, but it's still an item that costs 4k that's been performing like an item that costs 5k.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm not sure if that Tree Volley nerf is enough, honestly.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Medallion didn't actually get nerfed but the Solar Crest nerf is at least something. Now you probably just build something else before upgrading Medallion.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

MVP throwing their hat back into the ring with a total of 0 players on their roster atm. I haven't been on Twitter to see what's been announced, if anything, but the way it was positioned makes it sounds like Forev is going to a new Korean org. Probably an LCK org like someone mentioned when I said T1 a few pages back (meaning tier 1 not SK Tele)

ESL wants to host their Major in the States and will need an extension, which Valve hasn't given them. Sounds like they're considering dropping it completely. I know Epicenter got the greenlight months ago so they've probably hit a brick wall with Valve.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

96 spacejam posted:

MVP throwing their hat back into the ring with a total of 0 players on their roster atm. I haven't been on Twitter to see what's been announced, if anything, but the way it was positioned makes it sounds like Forev is going to a new Korean org. Probably an LCK org like someone mentioned when I said T1 a few pages back (meaning tier 1 not SK Tele)

ESL wants to host their Major in the States and will need an extension, which Valve hasn't given them. Sounds like they're considering dropping it completely. I know Epicenter got the greenlight months ago so they've probably hit a brick wall with Valve.

Forev already signed with T1, which is the rebranded SKT LoL team.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Yea my bad, I just asked for clarification after I posted that and got the update and came back to edit.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya'll get pretty superlative with your hot nerf takes. Half the carry IO strat is his lvl 25 aug, which is hilarious with certain combos.

Naix is still dumb and boring. Dumb and boring.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Edit: Not worth it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Half of what makes arc warden good is that you hit level 25 and can one shot Roshan with spark wraith

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JollyPubJerk posted:

Ya'll get pretty superlative with your hot nerf takes. Half the carry IO strat is his lvl 25 aug, which is hilarious with certain combos.
Yes, clearly the 25 timing is a critical part of the OG carry Io draft, when only one of those games even reached level 25 (OG/NiP game 1, which was mostly over by the time Ana hit 25), and in a couple cases there wasn't even a combo hero to pair it with. (This includes the game Secret lost with Nisha Io plus OD and Omni, although I think it's safe to blame that game on w33 playing a hero with an even earlier power spike.)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Rumor is that tnc is splitting up between actual tnc and GeekFam. Dubu and March are allegedly involved in those teams. Apparently QO is still on his Oracle stack. No one has anything about the T1 stack. I don't think it's very likely it'll end up as a Korean stack at this point.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Please do not reply to JPJ, he adds enough garbage without help.

Imo the biggest io Nerf is the armor. For both positions, a huge part of Ios strength comes from making a(nother) core near immortal. Core Io made that even stronger by being immortal itself. The timing for the slow/additional damage may have been changed, but it still leaves io as a core that only needs one damage item, which is what was so busted about it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Team Aster:
1 sccc 2 chyuan 3 xxs 4 boboka 5 fade

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sampatrick posted:

Rumor is that tnc is splitting up between actual tnc and GeekFam. Dubu and March are allegedly involved in those teams. Apparently QO is still on his Oracle stack. No one has anything about the T1 stack. I don't think it's very likely it'll end up as a Korean stack at this point.

https://twitter.com/TeamOracleAU/status/1169914051641540608

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Serenity dropped their entire roster on the team registration page and added shaker

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Read that as Secret and lol'd

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
EG is taking a long time to announce their new lineup of

1 Mason
2 CCnC
3 Sumail
4 Cr1t
5 Yawar

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Zurreco posted:

EG is taking a long time to announce their new lineup of

1 Mason
2 CCnC
3 Sumail
4 Cr1t
5 Yawar

Don't tease me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao Alchemist got so destroyed it made it to a peruvian newspaper:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

turboraton posted:

Lmao Alchemist got so destroyed it made it to a peruvian newspaper:

that rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That’s actually so good so no one picks it.

Also io carry is still good. Just get a midas.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://www.dota2.com/procircuit

Qualifier #1: Sep 30-Oct 5

:rip: Midas Mode 2

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Is that the Major qualifier or the minor quals?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zurreco posted:

Is that the Major qualifier or the minor quals?

quote:

How are qualifiers different this year? NEW
This year we have combined both the Majors and Minors qualifiers into a single, shorter one, reducing complexity and time for players and organizers, and allowing to both give extra time to rest to players after a Major is over without majorly compromising the time for players in the minor to get visas when required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sir Sadim is destroying Midas mode before it begins