Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
"My "org" is ready, right guys? Check out our "org!" We're gonna stay frosty and kill scrubs, but it's just business, kid."

"Load the photon torpedoes! Hello? Hello? Isn't anyone staffing my ship? Hello fellow "org" members, do any of you have anyone staffing your ship?"

"No, nobody on any of these ships I don't think. Are you sure this is the right place?"

"Yes, I am completely immersed in this virtual world, and as such I read on a forum somewhere that someone was planning to try and play tonight in a starter ship."

"Well we'll be ready, stand by "org" members hoo-ah, for the Republic and do your part!"

10 *** nothing happens ***
20 GOTO 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Don''t remember seeing this one at the end of the previous thread

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Scruffpuff posted:

"My "org" is ready, right guys? Check out our "org!" We're gonna stay frosty and kill scrubs, but it's just business, kid."

"Load the photon torpedoes! Hello? Hello? Isn't anyone staffing my ship? Hello fellow "org" members, do any of you have anyone staffing your ship?"

"No, nobody on any of these ships I don't think. Are you sure this is the right place?"

"Yes, I am completely immersed in this virtual world, and as such I read on a forum somewhere that someone was planning to try and play tonight in a starter ship."

"Well we'll be ready, stand by "org" members hoo-ah, for the Republic and do your part!"

10 *** nothing happens ***
20 GOTO 10

My org is going to have nothing but bulldozers.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOjY08iAFw

:jerkbag:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Only if you enjoy being immersed in shite!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scruffpuff posted:

That wasn't security - that was a real-life manifestation of subsumption AI coded by Chris Roberts himself, which he could do much faster than his employees, and he absolves himself of that.

You got a warning because even in real life no Star Citizen code works.

Stay frosty, commando. You're surrounded by Derek Smarts but the good word of the hot bear must be heard.

Just got released by the security at Dreamhack Mtl. I was incarcerated for crimes against the state of the game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

No, you see, you can't trust the sub-ether network in the Space Future™ because of the risk of interception (as anyone who has watched a sci-fi program will tell you, decrypting encrypted communications is easy once you hack the first 3 firewalls). That's why CIG talked about "Data-Runner Ships" which you can use to transport important data the old-fashioned way. It is much more difficult to track a small ship through the vastness of space, unless of course you use a mine-layer ship with mines that have an incredible range of 10km which are sure to lay waste to your target, because in Star Citizen small ships are both difficult to track and great for running secret data but it's also a universe where it's very easy to predict the trajectory of an enemy target with sub-10km precision in advance.

I suppose you could use the mine-layer to protect important stationary data in a container in space which is a fantastic way to store sensitive data, as evidenced by the fact that Fort Knox keeps its valuables out in the open in the middle of nowhere with no guards and a handful of landmines around it. Those don't even have a 10km radius so that's another point for Star Citizen!

But in Tinder now, I can swipe.

The future blows.

Foglet posted:

iCash, obviously.

It's more that they appear to have found a new buzzword.

quote:

The first major part of the iCache has been completed and tested. The iCache is a highly distributed and fault-tolerant storage/query engine that greatly out-performs their current pCache. It provides an indexing and query system that can be utilized by other services for specific and complex item queries. This system is important going forward, particularly as the Persistent Universe sees greater volumes of players and server meshing comes online.

I'm actually having some trouble cutting through that bullshit, mainly because storage and query are different things, but it sounds like a master/slave set up for the persistence store where they're using a local cached copy of the most commonly used result-sets for a given localized instance.

Again, we've pretty much figured out that they're trying to run this via microservices, and that provides a quicker method to get to commonly used data, but they're still going to suffer congestion building the localized sets in the first place.

quote:

The first major part of the iCache has been completed and tested internally, too. The iCache is a highly distributed and fault-tolerant storage/query engine that greatly out-performs the current pCache. It provides an indexing and query system that can be utilized by other services for specific and complex item queries. This system is important going forward, particularly as the Persistent Universe sees greater volumes of players and server meshing comes online.
March 2019

quote:

August saw the Backend Services Team focus on fixing various bugs with new and existing systems. The iCache underwent significant testing, including checking its overall robustness and recovery. Work began on the new resource service, which is responsible for placing and tracking natural resources on planetary bodies throughout the solar system. The new Star Engine Services received enhancements to its core technology and is now ready to be used for gameplay and other supporting roles.
August 2019

Looking forward to the conversations soon about switch saturation.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Quavers posted:

This would be hilarious if CIG try to claim it as a vertical slice :v:

Where's the gameplay Crobear? :trustme:

they already did claim that its going to be the vertical slice

Dark Off posted:

so latest RTV had tons of FUD
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=156 why swap to staggered development
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=564 can we focus less on ships and more on gameplay? lots of umms and errs in this answer and awkward pauses
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=789 why are long standing bugs not been addressed in every patch? tldr refactor will fix it
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=1085 why was the latest pillar talk poo poo.
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=1177 where did the design documents go?
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=1268 current status of Server Side OCS
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=1739 server meshing
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=1818 they are considering removing content to make room for new content
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=2100 lando talking about roadmap
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=2598 the design documents gets asked again
https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=2865 lando says that design documents were wildly inaccurate

https://youtu.be/wENuiIcPK10?t=3636 4.0 first vertical slice of star citizen

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Reroute power from--uhh--all non-essential subsystems into the--err, umm--deflector array using a modified--ah, whatsitcalled--inverter to create a refactored--ugh--psion pulse to fire at the computer core. That will fix the game. -- Chris Roberts

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dark Off posted:

they already did claim that its going to be the vertical slice

Thing is, what they mean by vertical slice is probably different from what is usually meant by it.

Here's an image from wikipedia demonstrating what is usually meant by vertical slide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_slice#/media/File:Vertical_slice.png

Basically some top to bottom release of a feature or set of features.

What CIG probably mean by vertical slice is: Everything we have including the kitchen sink.

In other words, just like they do now.

A vertical slice usually means there is more there, its just not being relased yet, it might require polish or a bit more development. But CIG are releasing alphas, almost everything needs polish or more devleopment, many things are tier 0 or buggy as hell. Sure, they have stuff in development still, but that isn't even alpha state ready.

In short, business as usual, just slap a name on it to make backers think there is more stuff being hidden away for "reasons".

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

quote:

The first major part of the iCache has been completed and tested internally, too. The iCache is a highly distributed and fault-tolerant storage/query engine that greatly out-performs the current pCache. It provides an indexing and query system that can be utilized by other services for specific and complex item queries. This system is important going forward, particularly as the Persistent Universe sees greater volumes of players and server meshing comes online.

It would be funny if this just meant "We switched from Amazon's MySql to Amazon's Aurora." That would involve trivial effort, and there's nothing in this quote that contradicts it.

Would CI(G) puff up a simple task this much, and give it a grand and exalted and Apple-like name, to make it sound like they are the Wizards Of The Code?

Yes. A million times yes.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Indeed.

Ok, so they claim to be open development and this is part of the marketing surrounding that, letting the backers know how they are changing things, but if they think this is going to improve things they are insane. If they can't handle 3 month release cycles they are not going to handle the much more complex "staggered" 6 month cycles.

Sure, it will give them more time on specific features, they can spend more time in QA (and therefore increase the amount of time on each feature!) but they are going to be walking on glass in relation to their codebase.

Its going to increase the risk of regressions massively unless they separate tasks out between the two development branches very carefully. Imagine if a dev on the "A" branch makes a change to a method that the "B" branch is not aware of until time it comes to merge.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Indeed.

Ok, so they claim to be open development and this is part of the marketing surrounding that, letting the backers know how they are changing things, but if they think this is going to improve things they are insane. If they can't handle 3 month release cycles they are not going to handle the much more complex "staggered" 6 month cycles.

Sure, it will give them more time on specific features, they can spend more time in QA (and therefore increase the amount of time on each feature!) but they are going to be walking on glass in relation to their codebase.

Its going to increase the risk of regressions massively unless they separate tasks out between the two development branches very carefully. Imagine if a dev on the "A" branch makes a change to a method that the "B" branch is not aware of until time it comes to merge.

Also nothing works.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SQ 42 is coming to switch!!

SQ42 ads I mean

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

eonwe posted:

whys my av in a thread about this game i just found out about

I think this means you're destined to buy an Idris...

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Quavers posted:

This would be hilarious if CIG try to claim it as a vertical slice :v:

Where's the gameplay Crobear? :trustme:

Dude! It's a slice. It has been cut up.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Foglet posted:

iCash, obviously.

It was actually a dev announcing they are leaving: "I cash out". The whales understood "iCash's out.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Naming anything “iSomething” unless you are actually Apple is extremely 2002 in my book :shrug:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
iCache?

More like iCrash...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grubby Hobo posted:

It would be funny if this just meant "We switched from Amazon's MySql to Amazon's Aurora." That would involve trivial effort, and there's nothing in this quote that contradicts it.

Would CI(G) puff up a simple task this much, and give it a grand and exalted and Apple-like name, to make it sound like they are the Wizards Of The Code?

Yes. A million times yes.

Aurora is limited to fifteen slaves, IIRC; I'd go for it over RDS these days, but it's still fairly hard lock-in for AWS services.

Another alternative is that they've found Redis.

Agony Aunt posted:

If they can't handle 3 month release cycles they are not going to handle the much more complex "staggered" 6 month cycles.

It's an interesting reaction to missing deadlines, mainly as it doesn't actually change their ability to hit them, but it means that three months for a feature wasn't enough. What that also means is that the features are getting monolithic and can't be broken into more atomic sections. I think 'cadence' itself is an indication that they have finish-line in mind, if not specifically set on paper.

This is *good* for Star Citizen.

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh, and they appear to have had such an easy time with regressions on the older, non-crunch method of development.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Oh, and they appear to have had such an easy time with regressions on the older, non-crunch method of development.

Scary isn't it?

There again, being an ED player, i'm very used to regressions anyway. Its like FD can't add anything to the game without spawning half a dozen regression. I shudder to think what their codebase must look like.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Agony Aunt posted:

Scary isn't it?

There again, being an ED player, i'm very used to regressions anyway. Its like FD can't add anything to the game without spawning half a dozen regression. I shudder to think what their codebase must look like.

By my calculations, if ED is bad then SC is good.

Rubbing will now commence.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The staggered 6 month thing is probably just a bullshit excuse to delay everything currently promised for the fall into next year.

Next year they're hoping that squadron 42 will have more showable progress that they can make videos of, and so distract everyone from failing the new roadmap.

This is why star citizen has become pretty boring as a spectator sport. Crobbler is probably having small self-doubts about just how much of a visionary genius he is, so he's avoiding everything but the Con appearances in front of the remaining hard-core fans. And the media team has the green light to go all-in on delaying tactics.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

Engaging in the scientific method, I have independently verified your calculations. Each thing ED does wrong is inversely, and instantly, applied to SC as something done right. Amazingly, there is no need for CIG to do anything to get this automatic development credit from their backers. I have therefore extrapolated your calculations to form the Star Citizen completion hypothesis:

Star Citizen's development completion is tied directly, albeit inversely, to ED doing a bad thing. Therefore the completion rate is tied directly to ED's error rate, regardless of any development done, or not done, by CIG. If Star Citizen is taking too long to come out, it's because ED isn't making mistakes fast enough. Thus for Star Citizen to come out and be good, Frontier must work on ED, and make mistakes doing so, faster than they have been.

Since Frontier isn't making mistakes fast enough for them to be applied by the backers as de-facto progress on Star Citizen, they are doing it on purpose to sabotage Chris, and therefore the delays aren't his fault. He absolves himself of that.

I'd like to extend this into a Space Game Quantum Hypothesis, which states that Star Citizen's development is linearly extrapolated from the sum total of mistakes made by the developers of all space games. If this turns out to be true, and enough people try to make space games and make mistakes along the way, Star Citizen's development will surge forward, and if so things are actually much better than the roadmap is letting on. Since anything that can be good for Star Citizen in fact is good for Star Citizen, then the BDSSE is weeks, not months, away.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd like to extend this into a Space Game Quantum Hypothesis, which states that Star Citizen's development is linearly extrapolated from the sum total of mistakes made by the developers of all space games. If this turns out to be true, and enough people try to make space games and make mistakes along the way, Star Citizen's development will surge forward, and if so things are actually much better than the roadmap is letting on. Since anything that can be good for Star Citizen in fact is good for Star Citizen, then the BDSSE is weeks, not months, away.

Robert's Razor. Sadly used before in more private areas.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The dangers of hover mode

E: do streamable links render here?
https://streamable.com/6wrss

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also, some fun P2W news from the front.

You all remember the Hammerhead, the $700 ship that was the bestest and biggest last year? The one whose shields are completely impenetrable to the laser fire of like 6 player-manned fighters and that has 24 size-4 guns because gently caress everyone else?

Well, looks like it is completely unable to kill the $1000 super-yacht. As in, sustained fire from all turrets on a Hammerhead might be able to just take the shields down, in about twelve minutes on one facing.

Obviously this is all cool and good, and nobody has really noticed because nobody actually fights in Star Citizen- certainly nobody fights in the megaships, they're too bulky and unwieldy and they require half the server sitting in turrets. Money well spent!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Klyith posted:

The staggered 6 month thing is probably just a bullshit excuse to delay everything currently promised for the fall into next year.

Next year they're hoping that squadron 42 will have more showable progress that they can make videos of, and so distract everyone from failing the new roadmap.

Probably to some extent at least. I think the devs recognized things are going bad, but you can't go to CR and tell him that, and you can't tell him he needs to back off on the deadlines or that you are going to fail to meet targets. You've got to offer up an excuse as to why things didn't happen. But then someone came up with staggered development and they saw it was a way to avoid telling CR no while still delaying things. And of course, once they have agreed they are going to do that, then they get to tell all the backers what a wonderful thing it is, and how its going to help in the long run, but just be prepared for a bit less content for a while.

The backers celebrate, the devs breath a sigh of relief and get a few months breather, and CR thinks he's a genius for inventing it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fidelitious posted:

No time to run. Too busy grinding credits for my Fleet Carrier in ED.

Of course SC does fleet carriers better since you can fly them around*

* - note, usage of present tense for things not yet implemented in SC is perfectly acceptable. You just don't understand language development.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Obviously this is all cool and good, and nobody has really noticed because nobody actually fights in Star Citizen- certainly nobody fights in the megaships, they're too bulky and unwieldy and they require half the server sitting in turrets. Money well spent!

Well, CIG is certainly catering to the right audience - no one who actually plays SC and buys ships actually cares about gameplay anymore, they just want to sip wine in their virtual superyachts.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Robert's Razor. Sadly used before in more private areas.

:vince:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Vehicle Pipeline Director.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Everyone's missing the most important part of doing "staggered development"- only having to admit they missed 90% of their deadlines twice a year, rather than four times a year...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hello which ships is it good to buy

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Everyone's missing the most important part of doing "staggered development"- only having to admit they missed 90% of their deadlines twice a year, rather than four times a year...

Actually, it only delays the deadlines for 3 months one time so they'll have to admit that they hosed up thrice this year. But there will be a new $750+ ship so everybody will be happy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Latest one that is $750+

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

No way Chris Roberts can do a vertical slice ...... There is documented video evidence of this.

After spitting all over the CitizenCon cake, he still did not know how to cut it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Friendships.

If you didn't buy it, how can you know it's real?

Kosumo posted:

No way Chris Roberts can do a vertical slice ...... There is documented video evidence of this.

After spitting all over the CitizenCon cake, he still did not know how to cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that I stopped checking on SC about a year ago and after catching up on the newest thread can conclude that nothing has actually changed in the meanwhile.