Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

I have no idea how to sideboard which is why I've stayed away from Bo3 formats. I'm also a bit worried that the time commitment may be too much.

Are there any good guides about how to sideboard?

Most people who are promoting their deck will also have a sideboard guide.

From a very top down macro perspective, you're trying to improve your matchup via your sideboard through either protecting your game plan, or disrupting your opponents. Occasionally, you will have threats in your board which are unanswerable by your opponent (think shifting ceratops vs mono-u, or Lyra vs RDW).

By and large most of the things you are going to be boarding in are reactive cards, so be careful about over boarding as an aggro deck. You don't want to board in so many answers, you lose the ability to ask questions, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Harl37 posted:

Try restarting the client, same thing happened to me yesterday.

Thanks, got it working

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sideboarding just means putting in t3f, thought erasure, or that loving 3 drop elemental stuffers as needed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo this Yarok/Dread Presence deck is loving super sick nasty, and I think i'm gonna squeeze some Murder Knights and Beast Weasels in here bruh cuz Dread presence is GROSS

EDIT: also there is going to be a "Rise!" leavening bread pun based green uncommon in the set that makes all food into 1/1's until the end of turn, mark my words

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh the scryland cycle isn't complete? Well that puts a cramp on Dimir

I'm glad I don't nearly have enough rare wildcards right now and could use an extra three months or so until the set after Eldraine which will most likely make up for it

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Drewjitsu posted:

Most people who are promoting their deck will also have a sideboard guide.

From a very top down macro perspective, you're trying to improve your matchup via your sideboard through either protecting your game plan, or disrupting your opponents. Occasionally, you will have threats in your board which are unanswerable by your opponent (think shifting ceratops vs mono-u, or Lyra vs RDW).

By and large most of the things you are going to be boarding in are reactive cards, so be careful about over boarding as an aggro deck. You don't want to board in so many answers, you lose the ability to ask questions, you know?

The other key part is pulling out all the cards in your deck that suck rear end is your matchup. So pulling creature-only removal and blockers against control or cutting back your expensive spells vs aggro.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

I have no idea how to sideboard which is why I've stayed away from Bo3 formats. I'm also a bit worried that the time commitment may be too much.

Are there any good guides about how to sideboard?

Find lists with sideboard guides (here's two examples) to start and as you work with sideboarding more and read more guides you'll start to understand how to board better. See what cards are supposed to go and what's supposed to go in, but instead of just following it, try to figure out why the deck builder is making those moves vs. particular decks.

Probably the biggest mistake is over-boarding, as you start, try and stick to smaller more obvious moves. Dropping removal against non-creature decks, or dropping value cards for tempo vs. faster decks, stuff like that. It just takes practice, I was pretty daunted at first but I just kept at it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo this Yarok/Dread Presence deck is loving super sick nasty, and I think i'm gonna squeeze some Murder Knights and Beast Weasels in here bruh cuz Dread presence is GROSS

post deck

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Also watch some streamers who actually play best of 3. They go usually explain their sideboarding choices pretty well.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why they show you what your opponent is looking at anyway, doesn't seem to add much either way.

If you want to look at an opponent’s GY or closely read one of their cards on paper you can, but they will know. Same idea I think.

Same if you’re staring at/playing with a card in your hand during responses, it might be a tell or you might be bluffing but your opponent has the opportunity to see it.

The cards in hand is a little weird, but the only thing you gain from mousing over that is seeing a count of cards in hand. Which again, you can ask your opponent IRL, but they will know.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The actual bad thing about this 2020 event is that it's BO1 and I've lost to the same Grixis player twice so he probably thinks that Grixis is actually good

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wait, what's the event?

I didn't realize there was a new one since the Brawl event. They gotta name things better.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wait, what's the event?

I didn't realize there was a new one since the Brawl event. They gotta name things better.

its standard 2020, you can use only cards that will be legal post Eldraine (and if you did the brawl event you can use the cards you unlocked from that)

I've just been jammin that Golos/Field deck someone posted in here and having a blast :unsmith:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The worst part of this event is that if you try to make an anti-cavalcade deck, you won't run into cavalcade until game 2, because there's a lot of bad decks that cavalcade preys on, so you have to be able to beat everything else to get matched up against your best matchup.

I just gave up and made my own cavalcade deck. Someone went cerulean Drake into sephara, and had to use it to trade with a chandras spitfire and still died to pings. The deck is incredibly dumb, and you can't gently caress it up and your opponent can't stop it if it just decides it's going to go off

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Moose posted:

The worst part of this event is that if you try to make an anti-cavalcade deck, you won't run into cavalcade until game 2, because there's a lot of bad decks that cavalcade preys on, so you have to be able to beat everything else to get matched up against your best matchup.

I just gave up and made my own cavalcade deck. Someone went cerulean Drake into sephara, and had to use it to trade with a chandras spitfire and still died to pings. The deck is incredibly dumb, and you can't gently caress it up and your opponent can't stop it if it just decides it's going to go off

RDW is dead. Long live RDW.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just had two games in a row with my favorite line of play in this event so far: Growth Spiral -> Growth Spiral -> Golos -> Opponent Concedes

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Doltos posted:

post deck

Probably this one. https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/d01xan/standard_elemental_swamp/

2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Dread Presence (M20) 96
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
3 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Forest (ANA) 60
7 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
1 Spark Double (WAR) 68
2 Neoform (WAR) 206

3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Negate (M20) 69
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^yeah it’s that deck but I don’t have Vraska, so I put a Cavalier of Thorns in there and will 100% be jamming a Garruk in that slot because I’m convinced that Emblem is cheap enough to be relevant.

Subout Llanowar Elf for Arbor sloth or whatever, the Reach is very relevant.

I also run 2-3 Find/Finale. The Neoform is an incredible package and Dread Presence is super fun to play with.

I literally just won my cat wings by defeating a Grixis player with literal zero cards in my library, going over the top of his Kefnet with Yarok and a single swamp for the last 4 damage. Insanely satisfying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/misterorange/status/1171432897942712320

:ohdear:

"Buy a box" promo

http://mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 10, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm I have 6 wins already this week and one quest on the docket with 16000 XP to full mastery lol

I was thinking "this event will help me" but it's only 200 XP, I guess it's repeatable so they want us to grind it?

With my luck I will get approximately 40+ 1-1 events

Edit: :woop: opponent 2 mulled to five then scooped, I'll take what I can get gimme that XP

I'm pretty sure that their math of 16 dailies = 8000xp is assuming the minimum of only 500xp dailies (16*500=8000). So if RNG works out for you then you might hit about that number due to 750xp dailies.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The cards in hand is a little weird, but the only thing you gain from mousing over that is seeing a count of cards in hand. Which again, you can ask your opponent IRL, but they will know.

I'm guessing that's what they were going for but there is one benefit that just hit me: by seeing the highlight on the cards/hand/etc move around the board you at least have a little bit of info that they are likely playing and not afk vs just sitting there looking at the screen while nothing's going on.

edit: ah, gently caress I'm dumb

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 10, 2019

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

The Sean posted:

I'm pretty sure that their math of 16 dailies = 8000xp is assuming the minimum of only 500xp dailies (16*500=8000). So if RNG works out for you then you might hit about that number due to 750xp dailies.

All dailies are worth 500xp regardless of the gold reward.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

75% winrate with Selesnya over 30 games. It's pretty reliable and sturdy but you know poo poo happens. Wolves suck and are still a trap.

The Sean posted:

I'm guessing that's what they were going for but there is one benefit that just hit me: by seeing the highlight on the cards/hand/etc move around the board you at least have a little bit of info that they are likely playing and not afk vs just sitting there looking at the screen while nothing's going on.

There is no minimum of 500xp dailies, they are all 500xp.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blinking Thragtusk I assume

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Waffleopolis posted:

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Seems pretty versatile and each of those options could be useful. Flashing it in with Vial to save another of your creatures from removal is pretty good.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Even in standard it could be quite good. Early game fixing with the Scry or late game value generator if you can blink a creature with a worthwhile ETB effect.

edit: Also it's exile a target creature you OWN and it ETBs under your control. You can take back stolen creatures. Interesting little perk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Waffleopolis posted:

Because he blinks Stoneforge Mystic.

Also the flavor of the handsome prince taking your best creature to gently caress for a second and then coming back to the battlefield real real quick is fuckin aces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the cheapest blink effect in Modern right now

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

zoux posted:

or

It's new from MH though. There are tons of 2 mana blinks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

zoux posted:

Cloudshift costs W and can be yours for the low price of an American quarter

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Is Flickerwisp still played in Modern?

Edit: I don't know if you mean Modern-legal or cards that are actually being played in competitive Modern decks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right but blink spells are bad cards a lot of the time, if you aren’t already ahead then you need stars to align to get value. Prince is good as a 2-drop on curve and seems to have gas in the tank at every stage of the game... and stoneforge mystic just got unbanned so...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Cloudshift costs W and can be yours for the low price of an American quarter

I meant CMC lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's ten 1-1 events so far and I am building with rage, 0-1s would be better because I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting my time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Probably this one. https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/d01xan/standard_elemental_swamp/

2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Dread Presence (M20) 96
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
3 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Forest (ANA) 60
7 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
1 Spark Double (WAR) 68
2 Neoform (WAR) 206

3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Negate (M20) 69
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

I was looking at this deck and the Elves need to go for Standard 2020, what should take its place

Edit: settled with +2 Grazers, +1 Krasis, +1 Cavalier of Thorns, let's see how this goes

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's ten 1-1 events so far and I am building with rage, 0-1s would be better because I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting my time

Seriously for your own mental health just play Cavalcade or you’re gonna end up in the drunk tank

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Right but blink spells are bad cards a lot of the time, if you aren’t already ahead then you need stars to align to get value. Prince is good as a 2-drop on curve and seems to have gas in the tank at every stage of the game... and stoneforge mystic just got unbanned so...

Yeah the blink effect alone would not make the card particularly good. The option of Scry 2 is really nice though and is useful at any point in a game.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

Because he blinks Stoneforge Mystic.

Also the flavor of the handsome prince taking your best creature to gently caress for a second and then coming back to the battlefield real real quick is fuckin aces.

I am loving all in on the flavor of this set. All the art is wonderful and the whimsy is just everywhere.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I was doing okay with Aristocrats as well. Event is fine if you just want to jam bo1 games. Even if you lose game 2 you still get the usual rewards for playing. I pity anyone who actually needs to get xp out of it to finish the mastery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I won a game with that Yarok Dread Presence deck and it kind of owned