Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bust Rodd posted:

Right but blink spells are bad cards a lot of the time, if you aren’t already ahead then you need stars to align to get value. Prince is good as a 2-drop on curve and seems to have gas in the tank at every stage of the game... and stoneforge mystic just got unbanned so...

This looks fun and/or good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR02k07kbNQ

Not sure what pretty boy replaces but it'd probably find a spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, natch
https://twitter.com/AliEldrazi/status/1171502472143048704

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

every spoiler so far is Ali trying to figure out how to optimize it with Golos

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bugsy posted:

Probably this one. https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/d01xan/standard_elemental_swamp/

2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Dread Presence (M20) 96
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
3 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Forest (ANA) 60
7 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
1 Spark Double (WAR) 68
2 Neoform (WAR) 206

3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Negate (M20) 69
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

deck slaps

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tom Gorman posted:

every spoiler so far is Ali trying to figure out how to optimize it with Golos

He has to get banned from that card its ruining his life.

Also for all his 5 color obsession I'm surprised I've never seen him try to work Jodah into something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nah I’m coming around to Golos himself being the strongest thing you could be doing in Standard ATM and really excited to see how he develops in Eldraine

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

This is fantastic for EDH, Brawl, limited, etc.

This set has some crazy value happening

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another 1-1, I'm also trying to jam into the event so quickly I end up accidentally going into the ranked queues, wish I didn't have to restart the event and pick a deck every time

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It must just be some kind of technical limitation and this is the least bad version they could come up with without rewriting how the whole special event structure worked.

Maybe next time will be better, because this is objectively dumb.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Waffleopolis posted:

This is fantastic for EDH, Brawl, limited, etc.

This set has some crazy value happening

How do you pick one of these 'at random'?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Waffleopolis posted:

New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Prince Charming, get it? lol

There's a new spoiler for Outlaws' Merriment that gives you a free random token with haste every turn, and I'm thinking you curve from that into Divine Visitation and take the guaranteed angel every turn. Then fire up the oven and start making angel-food cake...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Dice roll?

There's already random effects like Haphazard Bombardment

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Justin_Brett posted:

flip a three sided coin

zoux posted:

I meant CMC lol

I said it costs W!!! :mad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's probably just worded that way for paper players, so they can use whatever means available to randomize it.

In Arena the program is just going to randomize one for you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

D6 or D4, depending upon how normal the dice you have around are.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Justin_Brett posted:

There are plenty of Magic cards that have you doing things 'at random'.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I must correct myself: After losing five ten more events, going 0-1 a bunch does not feel better than going 1-1 a bunch

I can't believe I lost half a day grinding this garbage event for zero result, this is starting to make me realize that the game is just causing me more stress and frustration than anything else

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 10, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The 2020 event isn't supposed to be fun though. It's a catch up mechanic that doesn't make them any extra money so its designed to be as tedious as possible. Just play cavalcade and kill all those field of the dead /gates decks on turn 4 or 5.
Or, mull to 5, play 2 light up the stage, and concede without ever seeing a cavalcade. but its like 75% the first one because lmao we're playing Bo1

Seriously, what card could they possibly add to improve their cavalcade matchup that actually does things against other decks too? The only big lifelink creature worth playing was Lyra. Dropping the Wanderer buys you maybe a turn. There's no good repeatable life gain like Wildgrowth Walker

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 10, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It does actually make them money.

The lovely coding of the event is nothing but bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reminder: each event win where you get 200 xp is literally worth 25 cents. If you're having a miserable time, it's either worth buying the levels (not what I'd suggest) or worth saying gently caress it.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 10, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My conclusion from playing that insufferable 2020 event more than I should is that it's designed to give you hope you'll catch up then crush said hopes so that you'll spend gems to buy the levels you told yourself you were going to get from the event.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I shan't play it e'en once, so what's the drat problem wiht it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

My conclusion from playing that insufferable 2020 event more than I should is that it's designed to give you hope you'll catch up then crush said hopes so that you'll spend gems to buy the levels you told yourself you were going to get from the event.

If I have a 28% winrate in this event I must be getting other people to have a 70% win rate though

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have a way worse winrate in game 1, but in game 2 I'm at 80% so far. Thanks anyone who lost to me, and sorry. If anyone doesn't have a lot of wildcards and wants to try what I'm running, I basically just pulled the land destruction card and guildmages out of the Boros precon and added more of the skyknights and legendary creatures.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 10, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Reminder that if you've been keeping up with the daily/weekly xp gains since the season started you theoretically shouldn't need to do this Standard 2020 event to hit level 100.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 10, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you're 84 or higher then you don't need to do the event at all, basically.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Event is fun, use it to climb ladder imo.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Can you hit 100 if you've missed any experience at any point in the last few months? I'm at 80 and wondering if it's worth it, or if I should just drop like $6 worth of gems to buy the last 4 or 5 levels to get the sleeves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Based on the stats someone posted earlier it sounded like I needed to get an extra 1000 or so XP to fill out the mastery level based on rotation day?

Like it says I'm at 12000 XP remaining to fill out the bar (I'm at 88), I've done my daily for today and my weekly XP is also checked off, do I really have enough time to hit 100

Anyway after 26 games I managed to finally string two wins together, if I can wash my hands of this I would be glad to

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For those who missed it (I think someone linked it before?) there's a parallel card gallery of the alt-arts here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/throne-eldraine-variants

I don't know if we're getting any of them but that Murderous Rider art is very much my jam so I hope so.

Also Oakhame Ranger adventures Bring Back while Brought Back is legal in Standard. Nice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like it says I'm at 12000 XP remaining to fill out the bar (I'm at 88), I've done my daily for today and my weekly XP is also checked off, do I really have enough time to hit 100

You should be fine. You have 15 more days of 500xp = 7500xp

You also have 2 more resets of 15 wins at 250xp each = 7500xp

That's 15k available xp without this event.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

qbert posted:

You should be fine. You have 15 more days of 500xp = 7500xp

You also have 2 more resets of 15 wins at 250xp each = 7500xp

That's 15k available xp without this event.

Can I bank my xp for next season? :D

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

Can I bank my xp for next season? :D
I'm sure you know the answer

Also: You can't bank orbs, and they implied they're going to give more orbs than you need next set mastery.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You get 500 XP a day from quests and 3750 XP every sunday from weekly wins. This averages to a little over 1k XP per day assuming you don't let your quests die. Look up how far into the rewards you'll get in the 15 days left of the event (I believe we still have another event or code worth for 1k free XP to go but don't quote me on that) and decide if you want to spend gems based on that.

Level 99 is the last worthwhile reward (200 gems) but every level you buy costs 250 gems so, uh, it's not a great deal. Honestly buying levels for gems is a terrible deal all the time but if what you want is that animated chandra sleeve then welp there you go. The animated sleeves from the store are probably cheaper than buying a whole bunch of levels though. Also more unique, as every daily grinder with the mastery pass is going to have those sleeves.

A Moose posted:

Can you hit 100 if you've missed any experience at any point in the last few months? I'm at 80 and wondering if it's worth it, or if I should just drop like $6 worth of gems to buy the last 4 or 5 levels to get the sleeves.

If you want the sleeves your options at this point are to grind the event for 4 levels of additional XP or to spend gems. Maybe 5 to be super extra safe. You can get those 4 levels in like 3-5 days if you're really lucky and play out to 15 wins or 7-9 days with average luck. I wouldn't wish grinding this event on my worst enemies but it's doable. Protip: Play cavalcade.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2019

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm sure you know the answer

Also: You can't bank orbs, and they implied they're going to give more orbs than you need next set mastery.

Do orbs provide anything other than annoying card styles that I have to turn off every time I make a new deck?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have placed literally zero of those orbs in the tree

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ruckby posted:

Do orbs provide anything other than annoying card styles that I have to turn off every time I make a new deck?
Nope.

On the other hand if they give alt-arts from this set they'd be amazing.

(they're not going to)

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I think they should shift entirely to an orb-based economy

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm actually enjoying this event, the Golos deck that got posted upthread is fun. I get a kick out of having all my zombies swept like 3 times and then just winning via self-mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm actually enjoying this event, the Golos deck that got posted upthread is fun. I get a kick out of having all my zombies swept like 3 times and then just winning via self-mill

The golos deck is definitely the most fun, but it loses to cavalcade 100% of the time, its not even close. It does beat everything else, but since 90% of game 2's are against cavalcade, its an awful choice for this event.