Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
I like Neville a lot but he has a big problem with maintaining consistent quality over the course of a book...the second half of a lot of his books take a big turn, where the plot, atmosphere, etc. go in a new, and worse, direction. Part of me does admire it, because maybe it does take some boldness, but I just feel like it's never as good.

Anyway, if you like weird cult stuff, as I do, Last Days and Under a Watchful Eye are pretty good. The Ritual also has some really great and creepy parts, although a lot of people say they prefer the movie (which removes the new direction the novel takes about halfway through).

e: Also, wanted to mention that Under a Watchful Eye is an expansion of one of the stories in Some Will Not Sleep ("Yellow Teeth"), since the person who brought up Neville mentioned that collection.

julietthecat fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I personally enjoy the weird tonal shifts in Neville's books. As I said before, Last Days is my favorite despite the rather silly Aliens style ending.

He really needs new ideas though, but sadly the description for The Reddening sounds like it'll be more of the same. I'll read it if/when it shows up in the library but I'm not exactly feeling hyped.

bloom fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 9, 2019

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Seconding The Weird, I've had it for a couple of years and barely put a dent in it, it collects some fantastic classic weird fiction along with some authors I never would have heard of otherwise, and does a decent job of pulling a pretty wide net in terms of what authors are represented. It'll last you a long time.

Thirding The Weird. Highly recommending the ebook version, because the print version is a cinderblock.

Consistently excellent stories, and they include a lot of "used to be famous" authors to really enmesh the reader in the history of weird fiction.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sono posted:

Thirding The Weird. Highly recommending the ebook version, because the print version is a cinderblock.

Consistently excellent stories, and they include a lot of "used to be famous" authors to really enmesh the reader in the history of weird fiction.

hah. I have the print copy and I mean it looks good sitting on a shelf, but you basically need a reading desk to hold the thing. it's a very good collection.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you want a good workout, lug around copies of both The Weird and their big sci-fi anthology at the same time (they were doing a signing).

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Ornamented Death posted:

If you want a good workout, lug around copies of both The Weird and their big sci-fi anthology at the same time (they were doing a signing).

I get ARCs of the Unfettered fantasy collections for some reason (seriously, not a publisher or reviewer, I just somehow got on the guy’s mailing list and don’t question it…) and between three of those and one The Weird, it takes up half a shelf on my bookcase. What a gorgeous-looking collection, though.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I read HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it wasn't that good. Kinda like a soulless Stephen King, the whole book is basically mapped after Pet Sematary but generally didn't succeed in pulling me in. Some kinda gross parts and slurs also put me off a bit.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Before this thread started, I decided to give my thoughts on every single story in The Weird in the cosmic horror thread and got sidetracked after a hundred pages IIRC. I contemplated picking that back up but now there are two threads I could do it in.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

That would be nice. I need more weird poo poo.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Solitair posted:

Before this thread started, I decided to give my thoughts on every single story in The Weird in the cosmic horror thread and got sidetracked after a hundred pages IIRC. I contemplated picking that back up but now there are two threads I could do it in.

I skipped ahead 100 pages in when I realized that I was reading The Willows for the millionth time.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Finally reading North American Lake Monsters. Second story... It takes place in Asheville, NC/deals with PTSD. I lived in Asheville for 5 years and have some PTSD tied back to that city so OH YEAH that’s like a shot to the heart hahaha. Currently sitting on my couch because I can’t sleep and trying to calm my anxiety. Great writing, btw, you were all so right recommending it. Just didn’t expect one story to hit home so directly.

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 20, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

I read HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it wasn't that good. Kinda like a soulless Stephen King, the whole book is basically mapped after Pet Sematary but generally didn't succeed in pulling me in. Some kinda gross parts and slurs also put me off a bit.

I liked the basic thought behind it where this town has a malevolent entity and just stuff upper lips their way around it

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Len posted:

I liked the basic thought behind it where this town has a malevolent entity and just stuff upper lips their way around it

That's the part of the blurb that got me to pick it up. Unfortunately I read later that he basically rewrote his book to take place in the US instead of Holland, so that kinda explains why I felt it fell flat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

That's the part of the blurb that got me to pick it up. Unfortunately I read later that he basically rewrote his book to take place in the US instead of Holland, so that kinda explains why I felt it fell flat.

I liked everything up until the halfway point when it rocketed past any semblance of horror and into edgelord territory

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I thought that was the translation more? I'm the original I believe it was centered in his home country with a much worse ending though. I did feel it was a decent book, fell flat near the end but that's like alot of authors that can't find the right way to send it off. The idea that she's been planning this for generations and choosing people to poke in just the right way was interesting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
like many horror novels it was almost really good but then became incredibly bad

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Does anyone have recommendations for sea/underwater-themed horror? Don't mind whether it's short stories or longer-form stuff - just tried scuba diving for the first time and it have me a horrors-from-the-depths itch

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I think HEX would have worked better if it was set in the 80s or something, so there's not a literal app that tracks the ghost.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Owlkill posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for sea/underwater-themed horror? Don't mind whether it's short stories or longer-form stuff - just tried scuba diving for the first time and it have me a horrors-from-the-depths itch
There's an ocean-themed anthology put together by Datlow - Devil and the Deep or something like that; it's got a couple good stories. And a bunch of bad ones.

Tim Curran's Dead Sea isn't anything special but it's got the all the right ingredients.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Owlkill posted:

If you search “deep sea thriller” on Amazon you will find a whole series of Kindle books by various authors that scratch the creature feature itch; by just buying based on the description I’ve enjoyed most of them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Technically The Deep qualifies.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Owlkill posted:

Starfish by Peter Watts. I think only the beginning is set in the deep sea, but it’s the most memorable part of the book.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Owlkill posted:

Last time I read "Sphere" was 20 years ago, but I remember being pretty creeped out by it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Esme posted:

Starfish by Peter Watts. I think only the beginning is set in the deep sea, but it’s the most memorable part of the book.
That is a good recommendation. Wouldn't bother with the sequels, though.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Cheers all! I see Peter Watts has kindly made Starfish (among other books) available free on his website so will check it out.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Owlkill posted:

Cheers all! I see Peter Watts has kindly made Starfish (among other books) available free on his website so will check it out.
thanks for drawing this to my attention! i'm desperate for some good horror but have absolutely no money and don't pirate as an ethical thing (the weird is first on my list when i do get some money, thank you thread) so this is perfect timing

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i like watts' atmosphere but his handling of sexual abuse is ehhhh

e: actually i take that back (conditionally, i'm only just past 100 pages in), he's been restrained enough with the sex stuff and the abuse/abuser theme with the deliberate selection of the candidates is incredibly interesting. i'll withhold judgment until i finish the book

the writing and scene-setting is great, which helps

fauna fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 27, 2019

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Owlkill posted:

I liked 'Hell Ship' by Benedict J. Jones, 'Into the Drowning Deep' by Mira Grant was OK as well.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fez_machine posted:

Brian Evenson has a new book out, Song for the Unravelling of the World.

I just got through reading this. Are his other books pretty good too? I think I saw one of his other short story collections at the library, Collapse of Horses. Worth checking out?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just got through reading this. Are his other books pretty good too? I think I saw one of his other short story collections at the library, Collapse of Horses. Worth checking out?

Absolutely.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

yeah collapse owns

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

chernobyl kinsman posted:

yeah collapse owns

:emptyquote:

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Just finished Blackwater by Michael McDowell; enjoyed it although forgot I was reading a horror novel at times.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Thinking about trying The Elementals next.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

General Ledger posted:

Just finished Blackwater by Michael McDowell; enjoyed it although forgot I was reading a horror novel at times.

Overall I'm intrigued by it, but am also finding it kind of padded. But since I haven't finished it yet, perhaps it will come together more for me as it progresses.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

General Ledger posted:

it was the BotM this time last year

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

starfish was disappointing :( it had a great first half but then just didn't really go anywhere with it. and it set up this amazing character-driven psychological horror scenario and then just didn't follow through on that at all either. it all just kind of fizzled out!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i just read "The Troop" and quite enjoyed it. ghastly body horror, s where the writing was most evocative. is Cutter's other novel "The Deep" worth a go?

also i read and quite enjoyed Fritz Leiber's "Our Lady Of Darkness", even if the character seemed kind of like Frasier Crane. the paranormal events in it are very compelling and unnerving, especially everything to do on the hilltop.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

alf_pogs posted:

i just read "The Troop" and quite enjoyed it. ghastly body horror, s where the writing was most evocative. is Cutter's other novel "The Deep" worth a go?

also i read and quite enjoyed Fritz Leiber's "Our Lady Of Darkness", even if the character seemed kind of like Frasier Crane. the paranormal events in it are very compelling and unnerving, especially everything to do on the hilltop.

The deep is good, so is little heaven. He tends to like pretty object horror that is more visceral and descriptive based. Also you might have noticed that his endings tend to be no one really wins which is a nice touch. His writing tends to revolve around how sometimes theres no winning option. Or a sacrifice is needed to return to the norm but not end the evil.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wounds trailer is out. Can I post it here or should it go TVIV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bilirubin posted:

Wounds trailer is out. Can I post it here or should it go TVIV?

Oh poo poo, I saw a poster for that, is it based on the Balingrud book?