Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A Moose posted:

The golos deck is definitely the most fun, but it loses to cavalcade 100% of the time, its not even close. It does beat everything else, but since 90% of game 2's are against cavalcade, its an awful choice for this event.

If you say so, I haven't run into cavalcade that many times. Maybe my luck is just holding strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a good anti-Cavalcade deck

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

White lifegain

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cavalcade

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

A Moose posted:

The golos deck is definitely the most fun, but it loses to cavalcade 100% of the time, its not even close. It does beat everything else, but since 90% of game 2's are against cavalcade, its an awful choice for this event.

I went a pretty easy 2-0 with it, beating a cavalcade deck on the way. Once they empty their hand and you cast Gates Ablaze their deck does literally nothing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Did the event and didn't realize until I 2-0'd that you have to play three games for every instance of 200XP. gently caress that noise.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe I should unearth the Gates deck, the Krasis / Angel lifegain seems promising

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

I went a pretty easy 2-0 with it, beating a cavalcade deck on the way. Once they empty their hand and you cast Gates Ablaze their deck does literally nothing.

If they have a cavalcade in play, the entire rest of their deck is hasty dudes, burn, chandras, and more cavalcades. You can clear a few creatures, but gates ablaze doesn't deal with enchantments or Planeswalkers. You're usually dead before archway angel comes down. You got very very lucky, don't expect it to happen again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just used Gates to stomp so hard on Cavalcade they burned alive in the Earth's core, felt great

A Moose posted:

If they have a cavalcade in play, the entire rest of their deck is hasty dudes, burn, chandras, and more cavalcades. You can clear a few creatures, but gates ablaze doesn't deal with enchantments or Planeswalkers. You're usually dead before archway angel comes down. You got very very lucky, don't expect it to happen again.

I am glad I ran four negates then and countered that poo poo

Edit: Another cavalcade completely blown apart, hit Chandra with a ram then blazed the board and they scooped. Undefeated vs. Cavalcade

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2019

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

You guys werent kidding, cavalcade decks are downright unfair in this format and I'm loving it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I love getting a snap concede when I lava coil or justice strike a spitfire. Sometimes the 1/1 wave is still too much, but managing to out-aggro that deck is extremely satisfying.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I love topdecking a cavalcade with 3 spifires on the board to turn around a game that I totally deserved to lose

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I ended up running a mono-blue "all the counters + brineborn" deck out of frustration. It wasn't a clear favourite but it felt good to a boring rear end in a top hat of a slightly different flavour and my horrendous streak of losses stopped.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
So what's the Standard 2020 meta like outside of endless Cavalcade decks?

Are all the control shells dead because of checklands rotating out?

Tell me what the world of the future is like

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Funkdreamer posted:

So what's the Standard 2020 meta like outside of endless Cavalcade decks?

Are all the control shells dead because of checklands rotating out?

Tell me what the world of the future is like

There's Cavalcade, a tiny number of decks that are tuned to beat Cavalcade, and a bunch of random midrangey decks that can never beat Cavalcade but do a good job of beating up on the anti-Cavalcade decks.

Probably gonna stick to bo3 after rotation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So far my record with Good Old Gates (Ram/Colossus/Krasis) has been 6-1, starting to slowly grind that XP out of the event

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I did not bad with a random mono black dread presence deck. Jammed in 8 new cards total, too.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Mengu got some 2020 decks

Esper control and Golos Gates
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1171314293326929920

Simic Quasiduplicate
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2249669#paper

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just from knowing how probability works you can tell this event would be miserable to play, I'm really not sure what people were expecting. It's also lol that they made the reward 200 xp instead of 250.

Only 2 more weeks till rotation, thank god.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
This catch-up event is a slap in the face. Couldn't even do 100xp per win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Late night competition is softer maybe? Up to 6 successful events so far.

I tuned that Dread Presence deck and had an amazing end-game where the turn before lethal (they had 18 Krenko tokens and three planeswalkers but no cavalcade) I machine-gunned two high-loyalty Chandras and a Sarkhan with continuous Dread Presence procs and went from 5 health to 35. Almost decked myself but I got the job done

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m slaughtering games with Sultai Dread, the deck is real. If you live long enough to resolve a Hydroid Krasis they probably just die right away and sometimes you open with a Legion’s end and it bodies them.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Late night competition is softer maybe? Up to 6 successful events so far.

I tuned that Dread Presence deck and had an amazing end-game where the turn before lethal (they had 18 Krenko tokens and three planeswalkers but no cavalcade) I machine-gunned two high-loyalty Chandras and a Sarkhan with continuous Dread Presence procs and went from 5 health to 35. Almost decked myself but I got the job done

Can you share your tuned list please?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am level 90 today, do I need to play in the catchup event if I want to hit 100 if I plan to play daily until eldraine?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kashuno posted:

I am level 90 today, do I need to play in the catchup event if I want to hit 100 if I plan to play daily until eldraine?

no

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m with the goon who just said “farm S2020 for ranked”

It’s literally standard without Nexus, Scapeshift, or Big Teferi... ie a very good format.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is there a ranked S20 queue I'm missing? Or is it "farm ranked while everyone else is distracted by S20"?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

axeil posted:

Just from knowing how probability works you can tell this event would be miserable to play, I'm really not sure what people were expecting. It's also lol that they made the reward 200 xp instead of 250.

Only 2 more weeks till rotation, thank god.

I'm glad they made it didn't make it 250 just so I could get rid of the "extra" 150xp I had.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

IMJack posted:

Is there a ranked S20 queue I'm missing? Or is it "farm ranked while everyone else is distracted by S20"?

There is a ranked S20 queue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh so I've been trying to build a new deck for like 20 minutes but Arena just CTDs everytime I add anything to my sideboard. 4 times in a row now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh so I've been trying to build a new deck for like 20 minutes but Arena just CTDs everytime I add anything to my sideboard. 4 times in a row now.

You've been banned from BO3, sorry. The notification errors out and that's what happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Food Golem. I can already see myself getting my rear end handed to me on a stalled board by this thing suddenly coming down, strapping on a bunch of equipment and speeding his way past my non-hasty poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty excited to see my personal irl creature type in the game now

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ayara in a monoblock sacrifice deck is pretty cool

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Für die deutschen Karten:

Von Feen gestohlen

Stolen by Faeries
XUU
Sorcery <-----(edit: important, forgot to include that)

Return target creature with converted mana cost of X to its owner's hand. You create X 1/1 blue fairy creature tokens with flying.

Syr Elenora die Scharfsichtige

Syr Elenora the Keen (accurate? I think the closest would be "keen")
3UU
Human Knight
*/4

Syr Elenora the Keen's power is equal to the number of cards in your hand.

When Syr Elenora comes into play, draw a card.

Spells your opponents cast that target Syr Elenora cost 2 more to cast.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 11, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went back to regular Ranked BO3 after losing a bunch to Cavalcade. First match I activate Golos revealing 3 Nexus of Fate. Opponent snap concedes the match.

I need to savor this while I still can.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Bant ramp is still good in Standard 2020, basically the only changes are arboreal grazers for llanowar elves and adding some khans taplands instead of glacial fortress/sunpetal grove.

Deputy of Detentioning multiple Cavalcades is the Good Stuff

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm mentally brewing an Izzet Way More Than Seven Dwarves deck already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

IMJack posted:

I'm mentally brewing an Izzet Way More Than Seven Dwarves deck already.

finally, mirror march will get its time in the sun