Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Chinese mind has a genetic predisposition to prefer emperors. If you disagree, you don't understand Confucianism. Now, regarding the Russian mind...

I know you meant this as a joke but still my eye twitched so hard it hurt. Ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The Chinese mind has a genetic predisposition to prefer emperors. If you disagree, you don't understand Confucianism. Now, regarding the Russian mind...

i'd like to refer you to my measurements of the bumps on the russian skull. very troublesome numbers!

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I think we're overthinking the whole Invisible Sun thing a bit too much. It's clearly taking elements from an Inside Out fanfic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Serf posted:

i'd like to refer you to my measurements of the bumps on the russian skull. very troublesome numbers!
Many people are saying this!

kommy5 posted:

Maybe they have learned the deep truths of Juche as being the true nature of communism.
If they understood Juche Thought they would have immediately cloned Comrade General Kim il Sung, the Ever Victorious Iron Willed Brilliant Commander, Who is a Perfect Incarnation of the Appearance That a Leader Should Have. These Trotskyist wolves, who have swallowed whole the formalism and dogmatism of the restorationist reactionaries, are running dogs for the capitalist imperialists who even now levy every kind of pressure and slander against our efforts to apply Marxism-Leninism creatively in accordance with our situation and with the guidance of our Dear Leader, the Sun of the Communist Future.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that the Euros are at it again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dracostudios/eldritchcenturycorebook/description

It's like they took a look at the more... colorful choices in world-building in Infinity and Degenesis, and said "hold my cerveza"

I can't believe this morsel:

Draco Studios posted:

Eldritch Century is fully compatible with the 5e ruleset including the stats, powers and abilities.
It's like the OGL never left us, after all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
People still get leprosy, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

People still get leprosy, too.

Nah, it's called Hansen's Disease now and it's completely curable.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wapole Languray posted:

That's the exact description of orbs.

I appreciate the fact that the text immediately contradicts itself about what people call the glass orb currency. That’s really something.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh, that's just Unhallowed Metropolis except made by a bunch of European digital artists instead of Anglophile goths.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

This is how you produce orbs, I think. Just fill out these forms. Forever.

A tenth of an orb for your thoughts.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Walpole left out some other bits of the goods list that he posted earlier on Discord. It includes a ton of furniture. Like, a chair. Ok. But after that the next line is “Chair (invisible)”!

I have no clue why anyone would want or make an invisible chair other than to say “hey, sit here. It’s my invisible chair. *crump* :downswords:

Also, the question of whether or not you can just flog orbs as artworks in Shadow for much more than their equivalent value never comes up..

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An invisible folding chair is way easier to get past the ref when you need to clock another wrestler from behind, obviously.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'll admit that I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who would totally buy an invisible chair in a second. I'd be sitting on the porch confusing my neighbors right now. That said, I am an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, so probably not representative.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ten foot pole (invisible)

Bulls-eye lantern (invisible)

Mirror, small steel (invisible)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sun (Invisible)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Character Motivation (invisible)
Plot (invisible)
Truth (inscrutable)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Top Gear d20 Part 3: Why Volkswagens are a Trap Option

Last time we covered how BMWs break the system over their knee with their Reliability Modifier. So you'd think Reliability Modifiers are like, the best thing, then, right? Let's talk about how the Volkwagen shows how this system can go wrong.

I unironically want to read this rpg.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I am very sorry to inklesspen for loving up the part numbers in my x-risks posts. I didn't realise you did the archiving manually I thought you had a bot or something that jsut did them in sequential order. I will do it properly next time and remember to keep track.

Yeah unfortunately the only way to reliably determine if a post is part of a writeup or just people making a funny about elfgames is to have a human mind read it, and since I don't have any infugees on hand...

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 10, 2019

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
That orb money thing boggles is a very large pile of ???. Who taxes it? And why this, instead of literally anything else?
But the worst is, it's boring. "Our money is memories! worth 3.14 dollar each. Nothing special about it besides that". Like ABR said - it's whimsy for the sake of whimsy.
Y'know, I'm reminded of that old D&D "gold = XP". This is the version that says "this is true, in-verse!" and then failing to do anything interesting in it, also with child labour cause WTF.
And while "knowledge is power" -> "in wizard-society, we use knowledge and memories as money" could be a neat concept... not like this.

Salute!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Serf posted:

ah yes, the famous concept of a communist monarchy

Communists are famously very fond of Czars.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Hey mors I just wanted to add more praise for your shunned by the moon review. Would you ever think about looking at any of the other night horrors books?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I suppose I could. Shunned by the Moon is the one that wowed me most recently, but if folks enjoyed it I can take a look at the others.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

I suppose I could. Shunned by the Moon is the one that wowed me most recently, but if folks enjoyed it I can take a look at the others.

I enjoyed the Promethean one, where the really good highs made the depressing lows all the more apparently.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

I enjoyed the Promethean one, where the really good highs made the depressing lows all the more apparently.

That one has some cool poo poo and some really awful poo poo in it. Love to make a literally unusable critter and another set of critters that do nothing useful!!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Are we talking the original Trotsky or the clone the Posadists made?

I didn't see any dolphins so probably an immortal version of the original. There could be a giant Dune style tank full of dolphins reading progress reports from nega-Tesla.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mors Rattus posted:

I am looking forward to the Mage one, Nameless and Accursed. If you'd do that one when it comes out (assuming it's worth doing) I'd be overjoyed.

Also, thanks be to Inklesspen.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
SPHERES OF MIGHT: Part 3

Or "how to make the Ranger class obsolete with 3 talents"

After my disappointment with the last sphere, we have a return to form with the excellent Beastmastery sphere. The book simply describes the sphere as 'focusing on all forms of animal handling' which is a pretty fair description. It also explicitly says that summoned creatures and animal companions can never, ever learn this sphere - so no repeat of that obscure medieval RPG earlier in the thread where you can have a pyramid scheme of birds training birds to bring about the Birdpocalypse.

When you first learn the sphere, you choose either Handle Animal or Ride. Handle gives you the Handle Animal skill for free, and lets you Tame animals. It goes into a fairly detailed description of how this works, which boils down to 'spend 8 hours with an animal that isn't trying to gnaw your face off, make a skill check, you have a new pet'. There's limits on number and power of tamed creatures based on your level, so again, no Birdpocalypse.
Ride gives you training in the Ride skill, and the Defensive Rider ability, letting you spend AoOs to boost the defense of your mount. Handy.

General talents starts off strong with Animal Companion. As the name suggests, this gives you an Animal Companion as per a Ranger. You can put two points into it to buff it to Druid scaling instead. So yeah, just 3 talents to invalidate most of a PF base martial!
If having an Animal Companion isn't enough, Pet also gives you a wizard familiar - it lacks the explicitly magical effects a familiar has, but handy anyway.
You also get a bunch of talents that synergize with fighting alongside tamed animals - bonuses to defense when next to eachother, making free attacks when another one does and so on.
Mounts also get some talents that boost their abilities while you ride them, such as a bonus to armor, temporary hit points, and the like.

Handle Animal talents let you tame more animals, better animals, and tame them faster.
Bolster Beast lets you train an animal to effectively level it up, so that housecat you befriended at level 1 can carry on soloing wizards throughout it's career.
Greater Trainer raises the limit on the amount/level of beasts you can have at a time. BIRDPOCALYPSE NOW
Bee Keeper is precisely what it says. It does count as being twice the level for the purposes of training but on the other hand you become immune to friendly fire from swarms, so you can live inside a cloud of level-scaled wasps.
Broad Skills lets you treat any creature of animal intelligence as a potential pet, including some mindless creatures - so yes, you can recreate Slime Rancher.

Ride talents are a useful selection of tricks, letting you do stuff like treat your mount as cover, have your mount run things over, and rideby attacks.
Bronco Buster lets you mount a hostile animal and YEEHAW PARDNER it into obedience. With Broad Skills this works on a ton of stuff. Owlbears? Griffons? All will fall before your rootin, tootin might.

So far we've got some pretty great talents, but legendary talents is where this gets ridiculous.
Wild Speaker lets you Dr Doolittle your way through the world. Low impact but neat.
Beast Tamer lets you expend focus to instantly tame an animal, so basically a non-magical Dominate Beast. This combines with Broad Skills, so you can Dominate anything with <=2 Intelligence, and other legendary talents lets this last for hours at a time. But I'm sure we can do better...
...thanks to Mindless Mastery. Any mindless creature can now be tamed. Break into a wizard's tower, steal all his fancy golems and bring them back to the farm!
But we're not done yet. Monster Breaker lets you Bronco Buster ANY creature 'suitable to serve as your mount'. They do get a Will save to resist this effect, but nonetheless you can jump on an ancient dragon and break it like an unruly pony.

For any remotely nature or animal themed character, this is a slam-dunk pick. Getting a scaling animal companion for the cost of 3 talents is a steal, and from there you can just go into other spheres, or dive further to get a bunch of tricks. I don't know much about mounted combat stuff, but it seems like a great sphere for that as well. As for the tamed animal stuff, this probably needs a bit of caution when you pick up the various 'increase taming limit' talents as you can end up with a situation where the rest of the table twiddles their thumbs while your Cloud of Dire Bees solos the campaign. That's not even getting into the legendary talents - being able to point your finger at that rampaging chimera boss monster and turn it into a loyal pet, or jumping on a dragon and digging your spurs in until it complies can potentially be 'actual spellcaster' levels of power. But still, pretty awesome overall.

Much like Beastmastery being Ranger: The Sphere, now we have the Barbarian equivalent. Berserker is not a complicated sphere - it's about being tough and smashing things.

Learning the sphere gives you two abilities. Berserking let's you choose at the start of each turn to take a minor AC penalty in exchange for a minor temporary hp boost. The hp boost scales while the penalty doesn't, so it's not a bad trade. Against stuff that doesn't target AC like a lot of spells, it's a free boost to durability. Not bad.
Brutal Strike is another special attack action like Barrage. This applies the Battered condition for 1 turn (reminder: you can use combat maneuvers vs battered targets without provoking, and they take a penalty to their defense vs said maneuvers). You can expend your focus as part of this for a fairly substantial damage boost, and apply an exertion talent to it.

Extertion talents are a pretty good mix of debuffs.
Bell-Ringer, Bone-Breaker and Leg-Smasher are fairly similar, applying small, scaling penalties to will/concentration, attack/damage and AC/reflex respectively while they remain battered. No save, just suck.
Heavy Swing forces a creature to save or be staggered for a scaling duration. If they're already battered, they instead save or become dazed, and are staggered on a successful save. Dazed prevents targets from doing anything so this is pretty insane - with ways to boost your DC or lower their saves you can just stunlock them until they die. And even if they save, staggered is pretty potent as it prevents full-round actions.
Mage Masher, Shieldbreaker and Shrapnel are the Sunder related effects of SoM, each applying a special effect when you sunder a certain item type, causing excess damage to spill over to the item's wielder, as well as allowing you to roll your sunder check twice and take the best result vs battered targets. Mage Masher is for wands, staves, scrolls and other arcane items, as well as giving you a bonus to any saves resulting from the sunder, just in case you decide to smash that Staff of Power and level the neighbourhood. Shieldbreaker lets you ignore part of the hardness of armor, shields and weapons. Shrapnel instead lets you target an unattended object to create a cone of damaging shrapnel that inflicts battered. The damage scaling isn't bad, making this a decent AoE option, and scales based on the hardness of the material - so if you have a handy steel door around you can rack up some damage. This suffers the Barroom problem of actually needing a supply of items to do so though.

General talents are a bit of a mix, generally themed around being mad and hitting stuff.
Beat Down is an obvious grab, making Brutal Strike's Battered condition last longer for more stunlocking goodness.
Advancing Carnage is the various Cleave feats wrapped up in one - you can make a special attack that chains to multiple enemies. Taking it twice lets you step as you cleave, so you can mow down groups of enemies. Combine with Reaper's Momentum which allows you to make a free attack when you drop a creature to 0 hp and you can annihilate weak enemies. This synergizes nicely with Sanguine Invigoration and Savage, which respectively give temporary hit points (plus reducing fatigue/exhaustion if you expend focus) and recover your focus. This explicitly calls out that the creature has to be 1/2 your level or higher, so no attempting to cheese it by stabbing a bag of rats.
Extended Exertion lets you turn Brutal Strike into a full round action to apply 2 Exertion talents at once - sadly none of them debuff fort saves to make Heavy Swing easier to land, but combining two of the debuff talents into a hefty debuff isn't bad. Actually getting into melee without a move action can be tricky...
...so Barbaric Throw lets you Brutal Strike with thrown weapons, as well as throwing two handed weapons.
Deathless lets you carry on fighting even below 0 hp, but causes you to take damage whenever you act - useful in a close fight to get off one last swing, but pretty risky. However the damage gets absorbed by Berserking which helps!
Shatter Earth is an interesting one. As a full round action, or a standard if you expend focus, you can smash the earth to create difficult terrain and cause enemies within to become battered, or knocked prone if already battered. This explicitly combines with Shrapnel, allowing you to add in AoE damage - provided you can actually break the floor. This involves a bit of GM fiat - I'm not sure if anyone is going to bother to figure out just how deep the floor is in a building, and Pathfinder object HP is based on inches of thickness. The book helpfully suggests that a floor with no set thickness like the ground should be treated as 1 ft thick... but PF doesn't actually list a hardness/hp for earth. If we use stone instead, that gives us 120 hp which even at max level you probably aren't breaking in 1 hit without some specialized gear. It's a shame, as giving martials 'smash the ground to damage people and knock them over' is a pretty standard ability in many other games so this feels overly restrictive. I guess they're worried about you tunneling through stuff easily, but if you're spending a full round + focus just to use this AoE I'd rule it as just working regardless of whether you actually destroy the entire tile.

Legendary talents have some incredibly cool effects that compensate for the awkwardness of Shatter Earth by far.
Alter Terrain isn't one of those. If you manage to destroy a tile with Shatter Earth, you explicitly create a 5 ft deep hole rather than just leaving rubble, and can raise the terrain by 5 ft in adjacent tiles. I guess the intent is to allow martials a way to shape the ground, but 5ft/round isn't exactly a good combat usage, and I'm struggling to think of notable out of combat uses.
Flaming Riastrad is from the Highlander Handbook, which is a Scottish myth themed addition. This gives you immunity to environmental heat, and causes Berserking to project an aura of heat around you. Unfortunately this uses environmental severity rules from Spheres of Power which are a bit awkward. Until you hit high levels the effects only trigger once per minute, and even at max power it boils down to 'take a tiny amount of fire and nonlethal damage'. Cool idea, but probably should have just deal fire damage.
Warp Spasm is another Highlander talent that causes Berserking to negate a part of critical hits against you due to your aberrant anatomy. For people unfamiliar with the myth of Cúchulainn this might seem a bizarre effect, so I'll just quote this:

quote:

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage.
Negating crits is good, but this should really give an intimidation boost cause holy poo poo.
Spell Sunder is one of the best reasons to play a Barbarian in PF, and it doesn't disappoint here. Get angry enough at wizards to chop their magic in half with an axe :black101:
Ruinous Tread causes ground you walk on to become difficult terrain. Neat visual, not great.
Rift Strike I'll quote from the book: "You unleash a powerful roar and swing a weapon with such extreme ferocity that you tear the very fabric of space and time, opening up a rift to another location." It goes into a bunch of rules but basically it's Teleportation but for martials. Disappointingly you can't travel to other planes though, and it does leave you exhausted for an hour, then fatigued until you rest as well as preventing you from reusing it till you aren't - so better go murder some stuff and revitalize yourself via Sanguine Invigoration!

If you want to be angry and hit people with a big sword, you can't go wrong with Berserker. Brutal Strike is a good damage booster and offers a lot of nice debuffs, and there's a lot of goodies here - everyone loves Cleave, free healing and bonus hit points. For Sunder focused characters this is a must pick, and if you're deciding to play a caster-less game having someone capable of casting Dispel Magic via Axe is vital. And being able to say gently caress you to the rules of space time by being swole enough is perfect.

Boxing is the first unarmed sphere, so this is a good time to cover how SoM treats unarmed fighters. Learning any unarmed talent gives you the equivalent of the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, letting you deal lethal damage and fight with your fists without provoking AoOs. You also get an increasing boost to unarmed damage based on the number of talents in unarmed spheres along the lines of Monk unarmed scaling, so anyone can be good at punching as long as you have the right talents.
Boxing isn't about mindlessly punching stuff though - this is about patience and waiting for the right opportunity, as reflected in your first talent, Counter Punch. This lets you ready an action to attack the next enemy that makes a melee attack against you - this also works with light melee weapons rather than just your fists. If you succeed, you deal a bit of bonus damage and can apply a Counter talent to it. You can also choose an additional condition to counter, choosing from a list of effects like a creature casting a spell, moving and so on, and can apply more conditions as you gain levels. You can only Counter Punch once per turn though. So despite the damage boost this is a bit tricky to pull off - let's see if the Counter talents improve things.

Counter talents, as mentioned, can be applied once per Counter Punch.
Clinch and Terrifying Hook let you either Grapple or Intimidate as a free action on hit, respectively.
Haymaker and Liver Shot debuff the target, inflicting spell failure for verbal spells and sicken+reduced movement speed respectively.
Jolt Counter lets you expend focus to treat the target as flat-footed as well as battering them, which is pretty good if you can get some effects that work vs flat footed enemies.
Launching Uppercut is the flashiest effect. This lets you expend focus to make a bull rush vs the target, which normally pushes the target back. However, this one lets you instead move the target vertically - during their turn they're stuck in the air and potentially unable to hit you, and will take falling damage and fall prone on landing. You can also use this on a willing ally which deals no damage, but throws them into the air - niche but amusing. Regardless of actual power, being able to Shoryuken people is almost a requirement if you're going to be an unarmed fighter.

General talents compensate for the weakness of Counter Punch a bit with a lot of ways to improve it.
Corkscrew Set Up lets you make an attack roll vs a target when readying your punch - this doesn't deal damage, but forces them to remain adjacent to you unless they make a check to escape. At higher levels it actually deals damage - less than an unarmed strike, but a decent consolation prize.
Cross Counter lets you expend focus to retaliate vs a target making an attack of opportunity vs you, and they have to reroll their attack if you hit - pretty punishing.
Gazelle Punch increases your reach with Counter Punch, allowing you to move towards enemies and counter them. The range increases at higher levels, so this drastically increases the chance of actually countering when combined with stuff like Corkscrew Set Up.
Heavy Counter lets you Counter with any melee weapons - so yes, you can use a greatsword with Launching Uppercut to pretend you're Dante. Using it with a reach weapon might also work well to mark off a wide area of the battlefield.
Raging Bull lets you instead ready a charge - this means no counter talents on hit and no damage boost, but you gain vastly increased range.
Shoulder Roll is neat - once per round you can spend an AoO when attacekd to get a scaling dodge bonus, and counterattack them if they miss.
There's also a bunch of talents that give you various buffs for counter punch, but a lot require spending immediate actions so action economy is rough.

There's only 3 legendary talents for Boxing, but they're not bad.
Intense Conditioning is a Counter talent that requires expending focus - if they fail a will save, on failure they have to make a will save to be able to use the action that triggered the counter. Using this vs a melee attacker and giving them a condition reading 'make a will save or you can't attack' or a caster getting 'make a will save to cast any spell' is very powerful.
Cutting Comeback lets you replace your counter punch with trash talk - trash talk so potent they literally take damage as well as becoming shaken. Shame you can't combine with the above talent as the idea of shaking the big tough fighter so badly he gains performance anxiety over swinging a sword is fun.
Chasing Assault kicks rear end as it interacts with Launching Uppercut. When you launch a target, you can make an immediate action to leap into the air and make a free attack against them, slamming them into the ground. Our Devil May Cry build is slowly but surely coming together.

Despite the cool factor, Boxing is sadly hard to recommend. Counter Punches are strong but require a ton of levels and investment to reliably work, and the reliance on immediate actions/expending focus is hell on the action economy. You're also very vulnerable to your GM knowing what conditions you declared and therefore enemies deciding to not trigger them, even if this behaviour isn't intentional. With enough points in Boxing at high levels you can probably make it work, but I'm not sure the payoff is really worth it.

Next up: Brute, Dual Wielding, Duelist

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If a thought turns into an orb, through whatever process, does the person who thought it up lose that idea? Could someone just sit there adding two plus two in their head until they have enough marbles for a candy bar? If they turn "it's cold, wear a coat" into brain pennies, do they just not understand that idea until someone explains it to them again? If I write down my mom's chicken salad recipe and memorize it, then turn it into bus fare, can I read the recipe again and repeat the process?

I figure it has to be repeatable, just because otherwise "wear a coat when it's cold" would have been used long ago and the value of new thoughts, no matter how inane, would skyrocket.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lynx Winters posted:

If a thought turns into an orb, through whatever process, does the person who thought it up lose that idea? Could someone just sit there adding two plus two in their head until they have enough marbles for a candy bar? If they turn "it's cold, wear a coat" into brain pennies, do they just not understand that idea until someone explains it to them again? If I write down my mom's chicken salad recipe and memorize it, then turn it into bus fare, can I read the recipe again and repeat the process?

I figure it has to be repeatable, just because otherwise "wear a coat when it's cold" would have been used long ago and the value of new thoughts, no matter how inane, would skyrocket.

Well, there's also the question of 'what happens to one of these orbs when it's used. Do you absorb the inane fact from it for magical purposes? Or does it just exist as an object, exactly as if you'd minted a penny with metal?

...in a better setting the point of them could be that this wondrous and magical thought-crystallization process is being used to print money because unlike other material formations it's not possible to counterfeit by dragging material objects up from the Not Real Universe. But the point there would be that vislae society is, for all its apparent wonders, still driven by soul-deadening economic and social inequality. Which I don't imagine is the point.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Inflation must be absolutely hosed

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I bet you inflation doesn't exist for some whimsical reason. Or Monte Cook didn't care about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I could kinda see a purely ceremonial tsar if the revolution went very differently. Supposing he just folded to all of their demands immediately and played to the good tsar myths in publicity stunts. But that would require a level of consideration that I doubt the authors are willing to put in. I mean they put a member of the Qing Dynasty in charge of communist China. A dynasty of foreign invaders leading a nation in part built on nativist rebellion?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Not that Invisible Sun deserves this level of investigation into its premises but does this mean that eventually you end up with a class of teens-to-adults with no pleasant memories, thoughts, or dreams from their childhoods, having had all of them orbed for the sake of orb?

Because that feels like something that results in a lot of people dying one way or another.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cooked Auto posted:

I bet you inflation doesn't exist for some whimsical reason. Or Monte Cook didn't care about it.

You can just produce children at an increasing rate, so maybe the dangers of Stagflation are one of his secret notes some random sucker got sent.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Not that Invisible Sun deserves this level of investigation into its premises but does this mean that eventually you end up with a class of teens-to-adults with no pleasant memories, thoughts, or dreams from their childhoods, having had all of them orbed for the sake of orb?

Because that feels like something that results in a lot of people dying one way or another.

There is a note about a slow drain on the emotions of people in the world, but it doesn't draw any connection to orb production. It's in that bit about pressing emotions in books, which is such a fol-de-rol flight of fancy that I don't want to remember it.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012

I doubt Monte Cook possesses the nuance and subtlety to make a deliberate reference to modern generational struggles in his Magical Realm. It's just Monte being Monte.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

I don't think it said that glass orbs have to contain pleasant thoughts, just common ones. So probably most of the thoughts they contain are the thought of being pissed off at being forced to make orbs.

Also, if you have to put the emotion of hate in a book of love poetry, does that mean you have to put the emotion of love in some bizarre hate tract?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

hyphz posted:

Also, if you have to put the emotion of hate in a book of love poetry, does that mean you have to put the emotion of love in some bizarre hate tract?
The Book Of Reply Guys

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I'm really confused as to what PCs are meant to DO in Monte Cooke's Twee Wonderland. What's a campaign objective meant to look like? Are they just racking up orbs and repeatedly failing at digging and filling ditches for xp?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Monte Cook made a game world where the real treasure is the friends you made along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Monte Cook made a game world where the real treasure is the friends you made along the way.

After I compressed them into frorbs yes.