Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kind of a meh chapter overall with a good recovery on the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Go on a drat date with your wife, Loid.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I feel CHEATED. Where was my kiss?!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Even though this chapter wasn't as packed with gags as usual (not saying there weren't any, or even that there were few), I liked it. We needed a chapter that makes it clear where exactly is Loids and Yors relationship (pretty much nowhere) and sets up a starting line from which it can develop further and this one did it nicely. Also Yor and Yuri are apparently family of superhuman alcoholics and this both amuses and terrifies me.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Lt. Lizard posted:

Even though this chapter wasn't as packed with gags as usual (not saying there weren't any, or even that there were few), I liked it. We needed a chapter that makes it clear where exactly is Loids and Yors relationship (pretty much nowhere) and sets up a starting line from which it can develop further and this one did it nicely. Also Yor and Yuri are apparently family of superhuman alcoholics and this both amuses and terrifies me.

Yeah, this chapter felt short in comparison to previous ones. No kiss (as expected), but at least there was a good preview of what it'd look like once their relationship actually gets somewhere :v:

Omnicrom posted:

So I was having kind of a crappy day but then I saw this thread with that title and that premise and started reading, so basically I have to say to Nondevor and to Clarste thank you so very much for getting today back on track.

:cheers:

e: Twitter illustration for today’s chapter

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1170716402430267392

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 8, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's seems so wrong but at the same time kind of in-character for Yor! :mmmhmm:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I want to see more Yor focused chapters now, there hasn’t been as much suspicion of her from Loid despite her abilities

Is she freelance or does she work for the govt? I don’t remember

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Fellis posted:

I want to see more Yor focused chapters now, there hasn’t been as much suspicion of her from Loid despite her abilities

Is she freelance or does she work for the govt? I don’t remember

No, it hasn’t been officially revealed who Yor is working for. Whoever it is, they’re most likely Ostanian (judging from the “treasonous scum” comment in Yor’s intro chapter).

At this point I’m inclined to believe that she’s freelance or her boss works for a neutral third party, but it’s hard to say :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Personally I got the impression that whoever she's working for at least told her that she's a good person killing bad guys, so they're probably some sort of Ostanian Nationalist organization. I don't think she's a totally amoral killer who'd just kill anyone for money.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well that was a disappointment, but I guess I just expect it now from this boring normal family.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Good chapter.

Either Yuri's a lightweight, or Yor just has insane recovery time from being drunk. :v: She must've brought a ton of bottles with her when they traveled to the castle and still remain drunk.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Well that was a disappointment, but I guess I just expect it now from this boring normal family.

Yeah it's cute and all but I'm wondering when they're going to tell us what the hook of this whole series is.

Cute boring normal family shenanigans can only carry so far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I thought the chapter was good fun. :)
It was a bit shallower than usual because it doesn't overtly work towards the end goal but instead just introduces a roadblock and some hi jinks around that.

However, it does feature quite a lot of more subtle character development. The biggest is at end for Loid who realizes that the line, which seemed like a lie about no longer being alone, actually probably came from much deeper than he would've wanted to admit.
And it furthers the relationship between Yor and Twilight.

I love that Twilight was able to dodge Yors attack again.

Regarding Yors employment, If Yor doesn't secretly work for Yuri via proxy I'll be very surprised. She's a probablyonly a contractor though.

I'm probably reading to much into this, but I'm thinking Yuri and Ania won't be seeing each other for a quite a while because it feels like him having some involvement in how she got her powers seems like such a logical step. :shrug:

Happy to see Ania even if it was only for a flash.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah it's cute and all but I'm wondering when they're going to tell us what the hook of this whole series is.

Cute boring normal family shenanigans can only carry so far.

If Cute Girls Doing Cute Things slice-of-life manga/anime can draw an audience, why not Cute Family Members Doing Cute Things slice-of-life?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fellis posted:

He's not suspicious of her strength because he thinks that's how an average person is. Remember the thing with the art thieves when he expected the info broker to be able to help at all and Loid and Yor's first date.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth TNT posted:

Regarding Yors employment, If Yor doesn't secretly work for Yuri via proxy I'll be very surprised. She's a probablyonly a contractor though.

I actually don't think so, and question whether Yuri knows what Yor does. Yuri explicitly states he's hiding his SSS work from Yor, but I think Yor probably never told her brother what her high-paying job actually is. Consider the flashback of Yor coming home covered in blood: Yuri's narration of that time is that she "worked herself bloody", which implies he thought that was her blood (reminder: it wasn't). Moreover from a baseline character perspective Yuri is super protective of Yor, so I doubt he'd want her doing dangerous things like murder for hire.

Ultimately I think it's very likely Yor does contract work for the SSS and Yuri maybe knows his agency has a gaggle of deniable hitmen available on short notice, but I doubt Yuri as of yet knows that Yor is "Thorn Princess".

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Clarste posted:

Personally I got the impression that whoever she's working for at least told her that she's a good person killing bad guys, so they're probably some sort of Ostanian Nationalist organization. I don't think she's a totally amoral killer who'd just kill anyone for money.

we already have proof of this! she showed incredible self restraint in not ruthlessly assassinating one of the other families applying to eden academy to get anya off the waiting list

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I actually don't think so, and question whether Yuri knows what Yor does. Yuri explicitly states he's hiding his SSS work from Yor, but I think Yor probably never told her brother what her high-paying job actually is. Consider the flashback of Yor coming home covered in blood: Yuri's narration of that time is that she "worked herself bloody", which implies he thought that was her blood (reminder: it wasn't). Moreover from a baseline character perspective Yuri is super protective of Yor, so I doubt he'd want her doing dangerous things like murder for hire.

Ultimately I think it's very likely Yor does contract work for the SSS and Yuri maybe knows his agency has a gaggle of deniable hitmen available on short notice, but I doubt Yuri as of yet knows that Yor is "Thorn Princess".

Yeah that's what I meant by proxy. I wasn't very clear.

Though now that I think about it, it's also possible that he does in fact talk straight to Yor without knowing it. She has a codename and he has a codename. But she might recognize his voice and vice-versa.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did they go back to Anya in the latest chapter?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did they go back to Anya in the latest chapter?

She has like 3 panels, but owns all 3 of them. (partially because the only competition is the bed she's laying in)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Me before at least Noon every day of my life.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003900

New chapter focusing on Yor and Loid, which is good

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can't tell who's the cutest of Yor, Loid, or Anya.

Yor was definitely extra cute this chapter though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So did Loid give Frankie the face of his mentor or something?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Anya reacting in the background to thoughts and inner monologues of other characters is one of my favorite running gags. :allears:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yor...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Anya reacting in the background to thoughts and inner monologues of other characters is one of my favorite running gags. :allears:

Especially when it seems like she's going to respond to it, but instead gives just a regular kid remark.

I worry about her well being though. Her being worried About Loid and Yor is pretty sad :(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does Anya now know that her brother works with Stasi, thanks to that false questioning?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

She knows he's a secret agent, but probably doesn't know what that actually means.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yor's too dense to have picked up on those leading questions.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Does Anya now know that her brother works with Stasi, thanks to that false questioning?
Anya doesn't have a brother yet

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grouchio posted:

She "knows" in that she heard Loid's words, but doesn't understand what that means or why it matters because she's like 4.

Or, in other words

EDIT - Or I guess if you meant Yor, I don't see how she could pick that up from the false questioning even if she weren't a dummy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

EDIT - Or I guess if you meant Yor, I don't see how she could pick that up from the false questioning even if she weren't a dummy.

I love that little sequence. It's a kid filling in the blanks using her limited experience. :allears:

I really look forward to seeing Loid's new study methods.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lloyd kiss your wife

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Such a rude husband, making his wife worry like that. I wonder what Loid thinks is the reason behind Yor's inexplicably refined rear end-whooping skills.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

Such a rude husband, making his wife worry like that. I wonder what Loid thinks is the reason behind Yor's inexplicably refined rear end-whooping skills.

Obviously anyone can do that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yor had explained that she's taking yoga classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yoga.

In other news, the author posted the cover for Volume 2:

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1175798596479770624

Viz also now has Spy x Family chapters on their online reader, so hopefully we’ll get volume 1 in English by the end of this year or early next year? Not sure what the turnaround is for that.