Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Big Huski Boi posted:

When I tried to do this with my brother it set up his account as the primary and charged all of my purchases to him.

Ya this is standard and how Apple prevents you from just sharing with all your friends/acquaintances. Anyone that throws around family sharing as an option probably hasn’t ever actually tried it. You can have it require authentication, but I believe they need to be registered as a literal child on apples end and be under 12 or some such?

It’s fine with close family. Also if the person has iTunes credit, it’ll charge that before the main account holders card/credit

Plus the main person gets an email/notification when they purchase shifty dating app subscriptions 👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just bought my Mom an AppleTV (from Apple) and I'm pretty sure its a dud? I just want to check to make sure there isn't something I missed:

When I power it on, it works fine, I get video. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the power light comes on but I get no video (the TV says no signal). It takes a reset or unplugging the AppleTV to get video back.

I've tried multiple HDMI cables, different TV's and reinstalled the OS by plugging in via USB-C to iTunes...no improvement.

Any other brilliant ideas or should I just contact Apple to see if I can swap it out?

Normally I'd go back to the store right away but the nearest Apple store is over 1 hour away.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Call Apple and I bet they'll cross ship you a replacement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snuffman posted:

When I power it on, it works fine, I get video. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the power light comes on but I get no video (the TV says no signal). It takes a reset or unplugging the AppleTV to get video back.

my 4K started to do that recently and I'm way out of warranty so welp

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Mine was doing the same, but mine goes into a receiver before the tv. My fix was turning the receiver off and back on, which seemed to reset the signal.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I saw an older Apple TV+ graphic that showed HGTV, Fox, NBC and a couple of other standard Networks. Are those still gonna be a thing? Or maybe that was just referring to Apple TV (the box) and all the apps that are available? This branding might get confusing lol.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

I saw an older Apple TV+ graphic that showed HGTV, Fox, NBC and a couple of other standard Networks. Are those still gonna be a thing? Or maybe that was just referring to Apple TV (the box) and all the apps that are available? This branding might get confusing lol.

There's two possibilities:

-An old fan made image from when Apple WAS working to develop an OTT service like Directv Now or Sling

-A reference to the new TV / Channels thing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Subjunctive posted:

my 4K started to do that recently and I'm way out of warranty so welp

:siren: Fixed it! :siren:

Something went loopy with the resolution settings with the first TV I plugged it into (a really old and very cheap off-brand LCD TV) and the resolution setting just....stuck. I guess when it was waking up it was trying to push out a resolution that the TV couldn't see? Probably 4K, there's no 4K TV's in the house.

Menu + Volume down forced the resolution to set again, and its worked flawlessly ever since.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: tvOS 13 is out! Available in Software Update! :siren:

Can't find the official release notes so here's a roundup of the top 6 new features:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/24/tvos-13-now-available-top-features/

Compatibility with Xbox and Dual Shock 4 controllers now folded, oughta be good for those Apple Arcade things, which tvOS 13 also brings to AppleTV

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Can't find the official release notes so here's a roundup of the top 6 new features:

Compatibility with Xbox and Dual Shock 4 controllers now folded, oughta be good for those Apple Arcade things, which tvOS 13 also brings to AppleTV

Also for SteamLink (is that out for the aTV yet?)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How do profiles work? Do I have to re-download and setup apps in that profile? Like if I have Netflix already setup on the main one, does it need to be done over again on the newly created profile?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also the UI just looks much better in 13.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Has there ever been a worst idea than full-screen previews on the home screen?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Also for SteamLink (is that out for the aTV yet?)

It sure is and I am hyped to see how well it works with the PS4 dualshock.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

withak posted:

Can this be turned off?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can this be turned off?

I really hope so.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

maybe next it’ll be like Netflix and we’ll get a lound banging noise every time we turn our Apple TV on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have any of the people complaining actually installed the update and used it? I like it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

American McGay posted:

Have any of the people complaining actually installed the update and used it? I like it.

Hello friend, welcome to Apple threads on these here forums.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

withak posted:

There's no audio

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Big Huski Boi posted:

There's no audio

That’s good I guess.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've been running the beta since one of the first releases and didn't honestly know until right now that there's live trailers. So either they haven't been doing them or they're not noticeable.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Yeah, like for me, the TV app "hero image" when I have it highlighted is just a gigantic ad for Bob Hearts Abishola, whatever that is.

(Which is weird, I figured it'd be showing me previews of stuff in my 'Up Next' list, like Midsommar, which I got earlier today.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mentioned this in the Arcade thread but I’d be real curious how much better the ATV4K performs in games than the ATVHD. I have the latter and it seems... fine but not great.

Also, are we expecting a refresh of the ATV in 2019?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this in the Arcade thread but I’d be real curious how much better the ATV4K performs in games than the ATVHD. I have the latter and it seems... fine but not great.

Also, are we expecting a refresh of the ATV in 2019?

Agreed, I was playing that game that is like a 3d version of spy hunter with a car and boat and it was not especially smooth on my non-4K.

Need to check out the Arcade thread, arcade owns. Link? Not seeing it in Games unless I’m blind (probably)

priznat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 25, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
General iOS games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
WTF, they removed the best feature (up next) on the home screen and buried it under the TV app in order to push paid content. :argh:

Jerks!

The first thing I did is move their stupid Arcade icon to the bottom of the screen with the other dumb Event icon I can't delete. :argh:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 25, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Love how they put the Apple Arcade icon right in the middle of the dock by default.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm not seeing any underwater screen saver... only arial and photos. Am I looking in the wrong place?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Upper left for me!

Ah no separate Arcade thread eh, that’s alright.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
TV OS 13 Steam Link with an Xbox controller owns bones. Nice and responsive.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dicty Brojangles posted:

I'm not seeing any underwater screen saver... only arial and photos. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Wondering the same.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Apple 4K only.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Apple 4K only.

I don’t see it either. And I’m on 4K.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fivehead posted:

TV OS 13 Steam Link with an Xbox controller owns bones. Nice and responsive.

Does L3/R3 work? I had an issue with that using Steam Link on an iPad with iOS 12 and the steel case controller.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it takes a while for 1) it to download (they’re like quite large) and 2) get into your rotation.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The preview things is disappointing but on the plus side it seems to be easier to get to music videos in the Apple Music app and

PICTURE IN PICTURE

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I don’t see it either. And I’m on 4K.

Same here, ATV4K and no fishes. Maybe it's only on 4K TVs? Mine is 1080p.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just assume that was 4K only given it didn't show up on my bedroom AppleTV which is non-4K. Also there was this description (I guess read too much into it): Apple is expanding the stunning collection of 4K HDR screen savers available on Apple TV 4K by taking viewers under the sea.

That said since everything else shows up on both my 4K and non-4K AppleTVs that makes no sense. I will check my 4K for it when I get home (I started that update on my way to bed last night). I have a feeling we are going to have to change the download to daily for screensavers to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's like Apple looked at a Roku and said:

1. OHHHH we need an aquarium screen saver!
2. Let's bomb the front page with ads!

:argh:

I'm sure this is the same team responsible for "animoji's" etc. :suicide: