Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Bennett takes a look at a film his fans have been clamoring for him to cover for a while, Revolution Girl Utena: The Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnivUWSjtnA

And Olly is uploading the charity stream, including the plays that weren't saved on his Twitch channel, to his Youtube livestream channel. You can find a full playlist here. Here is the first play, Much Ado About Nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7oV_k6K05E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Everyone talks about the Gene Stealer plastic surgery but everyone overlooks the time they meet the Emperor in extreme senility/multiple personalitiess or the space marine captain who just leaves a battle and his brothers to support an Inquisitor on his quest for true love.

Also Ian Watson may have written the first punlished story about a sex robot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baka-nin posted:

Everyone talks about the Gene Stealer plastic surgery but everyone overlooks the time they meet the Emperor in extreme senility/multiple personalitiess or the space marine captain who just leaves a battle and his brothers to support an Inquisitor on his quest for true love.

Also Ian Watson may have written the first punlished story about a sex robot.

i mean that can be played off as BL not having the full canon set down. the emperor was vague as gently caress in the early days if i remember and this was pre horis heresy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, like some of the lore poo poo is forgivable because its squat era 40k and anything went back than. but holy poo poo the vagina genestealer and the spider bush and the slaneesh cultists.

also if your not a 40k grognard. genestealers look like this.

It's even better when (unless I'm mistaken) that was when Genestealers still primarily had the classic purple-&-blue colors.

I was in shock, though, when I realized that quote wasn't made up, and it occurred to me that if there is such as thing as alternate time lines, then there's one where Kubrick did make a film based off Inquisitor, and that terrifies me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Max Wilco posted:

Best line: "Please join me in my crusade to kinkshame Ian Watson back to the Eye of Terror

Though I wondered why they kept repeating that joke with the fake Stanley Kubrick audio clip. I mean, it's not as if he really...

...wait... *Google search*

...oh no. :gonk:

I love Magnus in this because his reaction is mine. Laugh. Because the Internet/Warp has long since destroyed your sense of disgust tot he point where loving a genestealer is just funny.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm starting this now. Kim, if Streaker is in this list I will take it as a shoutout. And if it isn't, I will take it as a PERSONAL ATTACK.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BigRed0427 posted:

I love Magnus in this because his reaction is mine. Laugh. Because the Internet/Warp has long since destroyed your sense of disgust tot he point where loving a genestealer is just funny.

The podcasts have sometimes struck me as the TTS cast not being completely in character in their execution, so it came off more as Zegram's (the voice actor for Magnus) reaction to the book rather than Magnus's reaction in-character.

Then again, Magnus and the Thousand Sons are all about seeking lost, forbidden knowledge, so stuff like that is probably right up his alley.

"Millions dead, and here I munch. Sugar on the porridge of death." - Grimm the Squat aka 'Dumpy Grimbo'

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I have watched so much beekeeping over the past 2 days thanks to this thread. This is as mesmerizing as that time I found the guy who made knives out of any substance!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I'm starting this now. Kim, if Streaker is in this list I will take it as a shoutout. And if it isn't, I will take it as a PERSONAL ATTACK.

I suspect that a cancellation is coming forthwith

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kim Justice posted:

I suspect that a cancellation is coming forthwith

YOU

Oh I can't stay cross with you. Loving this video, I like the slightly unscripted tone of it, it feels like a lovely chat about games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I have watched so much beekeeping over the past 2 days thanks to this thread. This is as mesmerizing as that time I found the guy who made knives out of any substance!

excuse me the guy who what? Link that poo poo.

Speaking of, is there like...blacksmithing youtube? I may or may not have had a depression couple days where I just marathoned Forged in Fire.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCg3qsVzHeUt5_cPpcRtoaJQ

quote:

Speaking of, is there like...blacksmithing youtube? I may or may not have had a depression couple days where I just marathoned Forged in Fire.

The Man At Arms: Reforged crew from Baltimore Knife & Sword started their own channel a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCEjEAxdJLOg4k854j-oESfQ

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

sexpig by night posted:

Enjoy this dudes channel

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo86AHovFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=539OnO-YImk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdHZqSIO1M

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wood/metalworking YouTube is surprisingly chill, and I will just spend a lazy Sunday zoning out to a dude restoring a rusty old cleaver.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I want to see the cleaver vid

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

HopperUK posted:

YOU

Oh I can't stay cross with you. Loving this video, I like the slightly unscripted tone of it, it feels like a lovely chat about games.

Aw, thanks. Yeah aside from the actual list itaelf I don't script the top 100 videos in order to keep it more informal and chatty.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Speaking of restoration vids, this dude does amazing work with paintings (he has an actual private practice for his work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCvZe6ZCbF9xgbbbdkiodPKQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMQv_umlFXk

matts doing a retrospective/semi playthrough of duke nukem forever.

i feel like with good writers and doom 2016 gameplay, a new duke could be good.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

To be fair with good writers and Doom 2016 gameplay any game would be good.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I fell down a Youtube rabbit hole of scam/tech support baiters.Send help.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This guy’s channel is full of fantastically chill videos of him customizing and restoring old Hot Wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baremetalHW

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Peter Brown is a wood turner that mostly deals with resin, and I can't reccomend his stuff enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0iNp5VgFfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3-UeizpW6M

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I picture a possible next game opening with Duke getting out of rehab after squandering the good will be built up in some cheeky nod.. That’s my fan fiction thanks for reading.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I picture a possible next game opening with Duke getting out of rehab after squandering the good will be built up in some cheeky nod.. That’s my fan fiction thanks for reading.

i feel like you kinda have to play him as johnny bravo but ultimately a decent dude type deal. that or just go the machine games BJ blaskowitze route.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like you kinda have to play him as johnny bravo but ultimately a decent dude type deal. that or just go the machine games BJ blaskowitze route.

giving him pathos bj style would be utterly hilariously bad, but a well meaning yet stupid johnny bravo type could *probably* work

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one, ohmygodohmygodohmygod the new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer looks so insanely good, everything looks loving perfect

two, Maximilian Dood's video on it is adorable as hell and the story about him getting to meet the creators of his favorite game of all time(and check out the remake behind the scenes), a game he streams basically every year because he loves it that much, just makes me go :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwYE9T3OWk&hd=1

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea make Duke an idiot who does want to help but is stuck in this outdated meathead "I'm gonna rip off your head and poo poo down your neck" persona. You don't have to do anything radical, just have people react to him how people actually would and play it for laughs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Have Duke be a sad rapper, just gets more depressed as he shoots aliens and respectfully frees women.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

"Duke being outdated" and done ironically was essentially what Yahtzee was going for when he was offered an audition to write for DNF, but he didn't fit the tone Gearbox wanted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bring back Duke but its his everyday life and its just this

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

yea make Duke an idiot who does want to help but is stuck in this outdated meathead "I'm gonna rip off your head and poo poo down your neck" persona. You don't have to do anything radical, just have people react to him how people actually would and play it for laughs.

So basically how they handled Wang in the Shadow Warrior reboot? I could see that working.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

So basically how they handled Wang in the Shadow Warrior reboot? I could see that working.

wang's an interesting case in that they also gave him some actual emotional beats that landed pretty well imo; but then the sequel... basically ditched all that, among its other issues

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
I totally dig the "outdated and oblivious Duke idea." A friend and I played DNF and tried to spitball a better story to hang a better game on.

Things we came up with:

- Duke super-franchising his name and likeness on everything a la Krusty the Clown. So there's Duke Burger, but there's also Duke Brand Stationery, Duke Urinal Cakes, Duke Multivitamins, and the official Duke Nukem Pregnancy Test (the box art is just his dumb face giving the thumbs up). Of course, nothing worked and led to a wide array of lawsuits which he lost because Duke tried to represent himself in court.

- Duke having been married and divorced at least a dozen times.

- The game opens with a shot of Duke's mansion, surrounded by a makeshift metal fence with a sign reading: FORCLOSED. The scene pans to a trailer, where Duke currently lives.

- Have Duke start with a total dad bod. Muscles upstairs, but a pot belly below. We'd have Duke fight his first mission in his bathrobe and bunny slippers (both Duke brand).

- The new big bad can't believe how much of a joke Duke has turned into and blows up his mansion for fun, which of course sets off Duke on what he sees as his big come back tour.

ItWasMoida fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 11, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^yes, dadbod Duke is also a must

Mokinokaro posted:

pretty much yea. Like said they even gave Wang a bit of emotion to make it more than pure gooftimes, you just can't take a dude who's all 'I'm here to put my gun in your rear end in a top hat and gently caress big tittied women' seriously any more, the trope is dead. Either change him or, even better, turn it from a big sexy power fantasy into a fun escapist comedy and change almost nothing but tone.

Like if I told you right now in 2019 there was a game coming out where you shot pig cops and other stupid aliens because they blew up his favorite stripclub and he's this jacked dude with a blonde flat top who constantly taunts his enemies and hits on anything that moves in his eyeline as he fights them with various silly weapons as well as normal bullet wall spitting action movie machine guns and big rear end deagle pistols and poo poo.

How would you possibly think it's a serious game? Just make the jokes more about Duke and the world around him than him just throwing a turd at a guy and going 'haha gently caress you shitface I put poop on you'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

giving him pathos bj style would be utterly hilariously bad, but a well meaning yet stupid johnny bravo type could *probably* work

part of me wants to see that. like uber sad sack duke waxing poetics about how hosed up america and how his dad is a microcosm of all of that poo poo.

Leal posted:

Bring back Duke but its his everyday life and its just this

yeah movie nerd well meaning johnny bravo would be interesting.

Kim Justice posted:

"Duke being outdated" and done ironically was essentially what Yahtzee was going for when he was offered an audition to write for DNF, but he didn't fit the tone Gearbox wanted.

gearbox wouldnt know humor if it bit them in the face. they have to buy ips if they want good humor(we happy few, bulletstorm)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ItWasMoida posted:

I totally dig the "outdated and oblivious Duke idea." A friend and I played DNF and tried to spitball a better story to hang a better game on.

Things we came up with:

- Duke super-franchising his and likeness on everything a la Krusty the Clown. So there's Duke Burger, but there's also Duke Brand Stationery, Duke Urinal Cakes, Duke Multivitamins, and the official Duke Nukem Pregnancy Test (the box art is just his dumb face giving the thumbs up). Of course, nothing worked and led to a wide array of lawsuits which he lost because Duke tried to represent himself in court.

- The game opens with a shot of Duke's mansion, surrounded by a makeshift metal fence with a sign reading: FORCLOSED. The scene pans to a trailer, where Duke currently lives.

- Have Duke start with a total dad bod. Muscles upstairs, but a pot belly below. We'd have Duke fight his first mission in his bathrobe and bunny slippers (both Duke brand).

- The new big bad can't believe how much of a joke Duke has turned into and blows up his mansion for fun, which of course sets off Duke on what he sees as his big come back tour.

Duke Nukem Foreclosure

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ItWasMoida posted:

Things we came up with:

- Duke super-franchising his and likeness on everything a la Krusty the Clown. So there's Duke Burger, but there's also Duke Brand Stationery, Duke Urinal Cakes, Duke Multivitamins, and the official Duke Nukem Pregnancy Test (the box art is just his dumb face giving the thumbs up). Of course, nothing worked and led to a wide array of lawsuits which he lost because Duke tried to represent himself in court.

i feel like you still have to make him somewhat well meaning, like he can be some weird creep or someshit(i mean he never fully was one but you know) he has also always been progressive least according to comics and stuff. so its not that hard to make him well meaning. just stupidly out of touch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'd be funny if he was one of those 'hey baby wanna go back to my place, because consent is important even as I sexually harass a stranger' dudes as if understanding consent was some radical act. Like have him constantly making jokes about wanting to gently caress anyone attractive but also get upset at the idea of hooking up with a drunk girl or something. You know, Austin Powers style, horndog manchild but at least understands the base level of 'well everyone should have fun and be willing though'.

That'd probably be enough to get him called Cuck Nukem or something by the chud crowd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
just make him American Austin Powers and you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think Jeff on one of Giant Bomb’s podcasts suggested Duke being exactly the same, but the world around him has changed and barely tolerates his shtick because he’s still the only one who take on the aliens. So everyone half-heartedly humors or is super passive-aggressive when forced to interact with him.