Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m the picture of health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indestructible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so far my only major ailment is dry eye syndrome, mostly from reading all ya'lls loving thirsty-rear end posts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

so far my only major ailment is dry eye syndrome, mostly from reading all ya'lls loving thirsty-rear end posts

tell us more about what it was like to sip solomon's fountain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
that's a biblical dicksucking joke for you

just the quality greybeard content y'all expect and demand

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a biblical dicksucking joke for you
you’re old even for this thread

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
signed up for the masters ultimate frisbee league

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

being old sucks. im glad im still young.

yeah lol, for now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

he still writes personal checks and he likes it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we spell it cheque to differentiate it from the same spelled but utterly different word “check”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“trump signs into law that there is now just one way to spell ‘there’”:

theiyre

:911:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

we spell it cheque to differentiate it from the same spelled but utterly different word “check”

no we dont

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i am not as old as rotor or eschaton

i'm just very set in my ways

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"we" do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

age is a lie, just do your best and have fun

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fart simpson posted:

he still writes personal checks and he likes it

nBSD is “performatively old” as the kids say today

those of us who are actually old are glad not to use checks any more

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

age is a lie, just do your best and have fun

:hai:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Olds should remember to get an flu shotte.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

everyone should get a flu shot unless you're immunocompromised.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DiggityDoink posted:

everyone should get a flu shot unless you're immunocompromised.

Yeah, but olds are an at-risk group and this is teh thread for olds?

:shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, but olds are an at-risk group and this is teh thread for olds?

:shrug:

not sure we have any regular yosposters too old for flu shots

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not sure we have any regular yosposters too old for flu shots

everyone should get a flu shot unless you're immunocompromised, hth?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my doc won’t let me leave in the fall unless ive said i have had my flu shot but I also have asthma so it can potentially be A Big Deal if i get the flu. he also makes sure to drill in my head to let him know asap if i think i have the flu so he can toss tamiflu at me immediately

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a shame that the numbers are so hard to come by and compare, as this comes up now and then and it is always a bit of a puzzler that the us is so big on vaccinations against the flu. my home country does very little of the sort, except when i worked for a us company which kept insisting that we get vaccinated. i ascribed that to a cynical attempt to lower sick leave at the time, but it is apparently just broadly american.

universal healthcare vs. not makes it really hard to actually look at any statistics and see anything which is not more directly explainable by that however.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have to get a flu shot because I work for the hospital

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i have a kid in daycare so a flu shot to ward off all illness is like wearing a helmet in a demolition derby but i’m a doing it. also it’s free anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a shame that the numbers are so hard to come by and compare, as this comes up now and then and it is always a bit of a puzzler that the us is so big on vaccinations against the flu. my home country does very little of the sort, except when i worked for a us company which kept insisting that we get vaccinated. i ascribed that to a cynical attempt to lower sick leave at the time, but it is apparently just broadly american.

universal healthcare vs. not makes it really hard to actually look at any statistics and see anything which is not more directly explainable by that however.

flu shots are pretty universally covered by insurance so its free money for providers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

getting the flu sucks, and it can be genuinely dangerous for a significant segment of the population

what savage place doesn't encourage everyone to get vaccinated

do you just like seeing old people die of a common communicable disease

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do you just like seeing old people die of a common communicable disease
you’ve actually pushed me back onto the fence here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what savage place doesn't encourage everyone to get vaccinated

in europe? every place. it is a matter of seniors, and in a few cases some groups of kids.

which is sort of the point, it'd be interesting to see the numbers disentangled a bit (i.e. the us' being pretty poo poo for entirely unrelated reasons), to see the resulting outcomes.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 11, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

in europe? every place. it is a matter of seniors, and in a few cases some groups of kids.

which is sort of the point, it'd be interesting to see the numbers disentangled a bit (i.e. the us' being pretty poo poo for entirely unrelated reasons), to see the resulting outcomes.

the who recommends vaccination
http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/communicable-diseases/influenza/data-and-statistics

mortality rates for old people in yurop show the flu season very clearly :(
http://www.euromomo.eu/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I think you mean they show Carousel clearly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i got the flu two years ago and its was 5 1/2 days of misery, i got a flu shot last year and it wrecked me for 3 days but i did not get the flu

gonna get re-vacc'd the 2nd week of october

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i get a flu shot every year because the only thing worse than suffering through a bout of the flu is suffering through a bout of the flu whilst also beating yourself up for not getting the shot

FMguru fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 11, 2019

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the who recommends vaccination

i hope you dont die before you get old (talkin' bout your vaccination)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Roosevelt posted:

:thumbsup:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for select groups yeah:
http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/communicable-diseases/influenza/vaccination

more than most countries in europe do, but less than the general push the us appears to go for.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mortality rates for old people in yurop show the flu season very clearly :(
http://www.euromomo.eu/

but that holds in the us as well:

so it still needs some doing straightening out the statistics to see how much it actually helps.

your link is extra interesting as my home country is sweden, which only recommends vaccinations to people over 65 (and those of compromised health, nothing for children or even people in healthcare professions), with 2% of the <65 population vaccinated on average any given year, and swedens line on that chart is pretty flat over the year compared to e.g. the us one above.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

the yospold thread content i crave

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

> le me, le herpin & derpin on my way to get le flu shotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm on immunosuppressants and I have to get the (dead) flu shot.