Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

A commando asks: What do you do if SC doesn’t pan out and fails ?

Cultists:
oh, that what be a bummer but I don’t care and move on“

Don't kill me but... https://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d129e6/dont_kill_me_but/

Yeah sure, you just ignore having believed in all the lies for 7 years now just to shrug it off and don’t care! No question :D „Oh, private funders money of 250 Million was sunk in an underwhelming buggy techdemo after 7 years that can’t compete with stuff other studios have developed with 15 people in 2 years, but that’s okay! I thought it might work after all!“

Not only are they accepting CIG lies and fakevideos, they are lying to themselves, hence their sunk cost psychological behavior and mindset. :allears:

The denial and ignorance of that guys is amazing, please keep on funding that trainwreck, I would really miss that entertainment tbh and watching SC and SQ42 not meeting even 10% of the milestones in 2020 and 2021 as well.

They are being led by the thought process of "What if it works out and is everything it's supposed to be?", and by doing so they are completely forgetting Crobblers+co track record on just developing SC alone. There is no way it'll work out the way it's been promised/said to go, the commandos think there is a possiblity of it becoming exactly what CR says he wants it to be.

Star marine is an absolute guide to how the rest of the game will end up, shown to be kinda cool, hyped to buggery, forgotten, then walked back, scrapped and replaced by generic crap, then left as a shining example of the bigger picture. Every part of SC has been handled in the exact same way so far.

CR's 'how to' do vidya gamez:
Hype a thing to buggery and back, take a load of money for it,
Showcase a concept image or vid of the thing and take lots of money,
Forget about it for a while (usually when it should be released),
Go back to working on thing but throw everything out and redo but with shittier everything,
Hype the gently caress out of thing yet again, add new ways to spend money,
Forget what people gave you money for,
Release thing in a godawful state nothing like how it should be,
Completely forget about thing and do something else,
Take more money, hype everything.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

trucutru posted:

The aircraft carrier requires tech they don't have (to keep the ships in place instead of clipping and exploding) so that one is 100% vaporware. So the next flyable ship that they have already sold has to be the Polaris.

I'm curious what they will call this tech. "Localized ship containment system"?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm curious what they will call this tech. "Localized ship containment system"?

"Server side local object coupling anchor point antijank reinforcement system"

Or, "sticky feet" to go with "grabby hands".

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sabreseven posted:

They are being led by the thought process of "What if it works out and is everything it's supposed to be?", and by doing so they are completely forgetting Crobblers+co track record on just developing SC alone. There is no way it'll work out the way it's been promised/said to go, the commandos think there is a possiblity of it becoming exactly what CR says he wants it to be.

The SC cultist's creed:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/tell-me-why

“Tell me WHY ???
Dear developers, I've absolutely no clue why is it so difficult to fix one simple bug - "Boxes falling through a ship", why I can't make a simple delivery because of that ? I've spent last 2,5 hours jumping from server to server, from region to region trying to find a working server-solution where I can start my courier missions, everytime I load to any server and try to put a box inside my Aurora it falls through the ship into the abyss, seriously?!?!?!?!, guys, please, tell me, WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED ?????????”

Response top pick:
“Having objects phase through other solid objects is an integral part of the Star Citizen experience. Imagine how boring the game would be if you weren't suddenly ejected from your ship while walking around!”

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Enchanted Hat posted:

I heard that Star Citizen is bad

First time I hear that. You must be misinformed.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

MedicineHut posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/tell-me-why

“Tell me WHY ???
Dear developers, I've absolutely no clue why is it so difficult to fix one simple bug - "Boxes falling through a ship", why I can't make a simple delivery because of that ? I've spent last 2,5 hours jumping from server to server, from region to region trying to find a working server-solution where I can start my courier missions, everytime I load to any server and try to put a box inside my Aurora it falls through the ship into the abyss, seriously?!?!?!?!, guys, please, tell me, WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED ?????????”

Response top pick:
“Having objects phase through other solid objects is an integral part of the Star Citizen experience. Imagine how boring the game would be if you weren't suddenly ejected from your ship while walking around!”

Immersive gameplay loops. Always make sure your box is still with you. If the box bounces, it creates new gameplay where pirates can come kill you when retrieving it.

He doesn't understand development is all. Poor soul.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhC4lQ6UJM&t=40s

:munch:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MedicineHut posted:

“Tell me WHY ???

Response top pick:

Yes, because they're so responsive to things posted there, and this isn't at all an old and pervasive bug that everyone has constantly complained about.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yes thats why so many people play star citizen at the moment.

Oh wait.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

darkarchon posted:

hello commandos

My dude!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

3.5 years

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

What in the gently caress...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, i responded to that one.

In other news, just a mildly amusing selection of suggested videos from youtube... somehow the SC vid being between those other two seems rather apt.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

In other news, just a mildly amusing selection of suggested videos from youtube... somehow the SC vid being between those other two seems rather apt.

Algorithms are in top shape.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well, at least we are making progress from "development started last year" to "development started 3.5 years ago".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah. I'm always bemused when the electro-ball shocker suggestion shows up while shopping on Amazon.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Agony Aunt posted:

The horrifying facts triple every second

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I was honestly expecting a lot more of this from the SC crowd. Whenever there is a new trend of tech buzzword to throw around, they would just make excuses as to why the development was pushed back. "Godrays? oh man, they are going to have to start up all of the lighting elements from scratch" "Battle royale gamemode? Now they just have to rejigger the scope to accommodate that playstyle" "Video game gambling laws? Well, now they have to rework all of this stuff they worked so hard on to make it worth it"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

The aircraft carrier requires tech they don't have (to keep the ships in place instead of clipping and exploding) so that one is 100% vaporware. So the next flyable ship that they have already sold has to be the Polaris.

And, like clockwork, guess which one is the most popular topic at reddit?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

And, like clockwork, guess which one is the most popular topic at reddit?

(The RSI Polaris does not currently exist in-game)

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Sarsapariller posted:

(The RSI Polaris does not currently exist in-game)

Stop spreading FUD it exists in my dreams while I pretend I’m flying it while in my Aurora. Check mate goonie.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Agony Aunt posted:

Somebody should ask them, if tomorrow CIG announced that the game would be redone with ray-tracing and promise an entire universe of billions of stars each made of individual atoms, would that mean that the game development is only starting.. now ?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I decided to watch some Twitch game play of SC because I really don't know what it actually plays like since there are so few actual game play videos on YouTube (It's all just discussion/ship reviews).

The stream I watched was a group of players all following around someone else in an 890j and they were on a planet just sort of floating around and comparing the 890j size to other ships/objects. I will admit one player was flying around shooting their guns and they blew something up on the ground and the particle effects looked pretty good. But eventually the streamer decided to go back to a station or whatever and they warped off planet only to be immediately interdicted by an asteroid where they then had to restart their warp drive after navigating around the asteroid and continuing on their way. I got bored at this point and that's my story of trying to figure out what the game play actually is in SC.

So the asteroid interdiction, are individual asteroid positions tracked all the time in SC? Like if you took that same flight path again would you get "interdicted" by the same asteroid? Or are interdiction's just random events one of them being that there is an asteroid in the way?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It just blows me away how after seven years of constant, constant overhyping and underdelivering the backers still don't bracket any of these discussions with "If it gets completed and the design doesn't radically change."

Nothing that CIG tells customers about a spaceship is reliable. Even if you just want to P2W, here are some guarantees for you:
* CIG does not feel beholden to you for any of the numbers they promised you early on. Ship size, cargo capacity, weapon size- all of these will change as they need to sell additional ships. They have your money, they don't care.

* The most recently sold big ship will be completely invulnerable to all other ships

* If it is a combat ship, the most recently sold big ship will be able to decimate all other ships

* If it is a luxury ship, it will be invincible but useless

* There is no such thing as "Armor," they aren't working on it, and this isn't Tier 0 of the combat mechanics. It's been seven years. None of this is subject to change. More money = more damage and shields, period. If an expensive ship is too easy to kill, they straight-up just go into the XML and turn up the shield/health values on it. They have done this before.

* No mechanics aside from turrets and exterior doors opening/closing will actually be delivered when the ship goes live. Sometimes the doors will also not work.

* The more expensive it is, the faster it can fly. gently caress you if you question it.

* There will never be any multi-crew mechanics and nothing about your ship that depends on extra crewmembers will ever work. It's not even on the loving roadmap for the next year-plus. At best, maybe someday you will get a poo poo AI gunner in your turrets, but don't count on it.

* They will never, ever stop selling these spaceships. You will always be able to buy one if it turns out to be an amazing dream ship post launch. Spoiler: it will not.

* If you buy any concept ship from CIG in year seven of development you are goddamn retarded and there is no hope for you on this earth

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

So the asteroid interdiction, are individual asteroid positions tracked all the time in SC? Like if you took that same flight path again would you get "interdicted" by the same asteroid? Or are interdiction's just random events one of them being that there is an asteroid in the way?

The interdictions are randomly generated when you start to QT, but the objects persist in the game world- if someone could navigate the arcane group system and actually travel to that person's location, they would see the same thing. This actually caused huge errors when it was introduced because the asteroids (actually a pirate interdiction that failed to spawn pirates) would spawn the second the player entered QT, at wherever they were, including the initial starting space station. So you'd log in and there'd be like 100 giant asteroids outside from people trying to fly away, and then the server would crash.

The part where the server eventually crashes still happens, it just takes ~12 hours now instead of ~5 minutes.

But yeah that's pretty much the gameplay of Star Citizen, you've now witnessed 80% of it. The other 20% is trying to carry/place a box and failing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the player leaves that interdiction does the asteroid disappear though? Is the asteroid only spawned once an interdiction is randomly generated?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Is the asteroid only spawned once an interdiction is randomly generated?

Correct. All assets related to interdictions are spawned if the event is triggered. NPC's, asteroids, etc. They don't exist prior to that.

Popete posted:

If the player leaves that interdiction does the asteroid disappear though?

Originally, no, which was what caused the server crash. People'd be getting interdicted which would pile up hundreds of these and they'd never go away and eventually boop there goes the server.

These days? No idea, it's not possible to navigate back to the asteroid if you leave because QT is trash. But I'd bet that yes, they just despawn.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that is incredibly dumb that you can be interdicted by a random asteroid. This game is seriously all about wasting your time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Originally, no, which was what caused the server crash. People'd be getting interdicted which would pile up hundreds of these and they'd never go away and eventually boop there goes the server.

These days? No idea, it's not possible to navigate back to the asteroid if you leave because QT is trash. But I'd bet that yes, they just despawn.

An asteroid is far less complex than a player or AI ship. Yet too many crashed the server. As opposed to the millions, maybe billions, of asteroids in Elite Dangerous that never crash the server.

Surely the logical conclusion is hundreds of players in huge space battles firing missiles at each other in an asteroid field. I'm sure CIG will get that running in no time.

loving :laffo: at this goddamned shitpile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

11 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: :tinfoil: -991 days :tinfoil:

Can you move around your ship without falling out: No

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: the biggest nothing of the past decade

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carmack must be rotating in his grave

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

One ship that I feel clipped through cracks is the Herald. Basically a ship wrapped around a giant engine to transport "info" quickly. Yet how does it compare to the megaships as far as speed?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Colostomy Bag posted:

One ship that I feel clipped through cracks is the Herald. Basically a ship wrapped around a giant engine to transport "info" quickly. Yet how does it compare to the megaships as far as speed?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and assume that it punches above its weight.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1171543862436859904

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1171556654225219585

:ironicat:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colostomy Bag posted:

What does your wallet tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Agony Aunt posted:

What does your wallet tell you?