Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMJack posted:

I'm mentally brewing an Izzet Way More Than Seven Dwarves deck already.

hi-hOly poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Food Golem. I can already see myself getting my rear end handed to me on a stalled board by this thing suddenly coming down, strapping on a bunch of equipment and speeding his way past my non-hasty poo poo.

I actually really like that evasion thematically.

I don't think I've ever seen something that decides its effect based on haste status before.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Food golem goes right into cavalcade

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kashuno posted:

Food golem goes right into cavalcade

I was gonna say a colorless 1/1 haste that has some decent extra stuff slapped on to it is pretty good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's basically the new bomat courier.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No Wave posted:

it's basically the new bomat courier.

this is the most ridiculous thing said in this thread

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This event makes me feel like a jackass for buying the mastery pass. It's not good enough to play the game every day, you have to grind in this dumbass event to max out the rewards for the thing you bought and it's really made the game feel like a chore. Even if ELD turns out to be really fun there's no way in hell I'm buying another pass. Between that and the stupid historic stuff, I don't know if I can justify paying money for this game every new set to stay current, I might just fall back into the occasional f2p jank player.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
If you play the game every day you shouldn't need to play in this event to get XP.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you kept up you don't need to touch this event at all, but keeping up was its own chore at times (before they changed it from wins a day to wins a week)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good bye Rekindling Phoenix hello this (mono R sideboard)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dracula Factory posted:

This event makes me feel like a jackass for buying the mastery pass. It's not good enough to play the game every day, you have to grind in this dumbass event to max out the rewards for the thing you bought and it's really made the game feel like a chore. Even if ELD turns out to be really fun there's no way in hell I'm buying another pass. Between that and the stupid historic stuff, I don't know if I can justify paying money for this game every new set to stay current, I might just fall back into the occasional f2p jank player.

You can play the game every three days and finish the mastery pass.

You can also wait to buy the mastery pass on the last day before it expires if you're not sure if you'll finish it on time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

"Here's a bullshit event to grind to slowly catch-up levels you missed because you had the temerity to go on vacation. It totally isn't intentionally designed to be frustrating to convince you to spend 250 gems per level instead so you can get full value out of something you already paid for."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can always just play ELD without a pass and if you're enjoying yourself enough to hit 15 wins a week and doing events grab the pass before next set.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eej posted:

You can always just play ELD without a pass and if you're enjoying yourself enough to hit 15 wins a week and doing events grab the pass before next set.

Sorry, "enjoying myself"?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

You could always have fun playing Magic every day????? Are you some kind of FUN WIZARD???

Wait never mind jamming my delicates into a skinner box over and over.

zoux posted:

Good bye Rekindling Phoenix hello this (mono R sideboard)
gonna be sick in my kaalia elder highlander dragon brawl deck

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PJOmega posted:

"Here's a bullshit event to grind to slowly catch-up levels you missed because you had the temerity to go on vacation. It totally isn't intentionally designed to be frustrating to convince you to spend 250 gems per level instead so you can get full value out of something you already paid for."

If the event is giving people aneurysms just a reminder that the cash value of a single level is $1.25. It is not worth making yourself miserable over. Either buy the level or just ignore those levels of the mastery pass. You're still in the money with the pass if you're beyond level 43 or so.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I swear half the people itt only seem to care about how many rewards they get and see the actual "playing Magic: The Gathering" part as a chore. If this describes you, please just stop playing altogether. Modern gaming has broken your brain and you're being tricked into doing something you don't want to do. Go play something you enjoy instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I swear half the people itt only seem to care about how many rewards they get and see the actual "playing Magic: The Gathering" part as a chore. If this describes you, please just stop playing altogether. Modern gaming has broken your brain and you're being tricked into doing something you don't want to do. Go play something you enjoy instead.

YEah, you'll never reach the level where you're like "ah, glad I did all that grinding for all those years, now I'm fully set", there will always be more to grind. So if it feels like a grind, stop.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Eej posted:

this is the most ridiculous thing said in this thread

Agreed.

Its an extra 4 copies of tin street dodger. Gingerbrute probably gets blocked by more cards in standard than tin street does.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

zoux posted:

YEah, you'll never reach the level where you're like "ah, glad I did all that grinding for all those years, now I'm fully set", there will always be more to grind. So if it feels like a grind, stop.

Exactly, if you're not enjoying playing the game, that's not the mastery pass' fault.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Merchant_MTG/status/1171876063892377602

Food seems pretty parasitic tbh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It doesnt really look like a constructed viable mechanic so far unless I missed a card.

It would be nice if food had some other usage like preventing a point of damage or something the way treasure did. Would prevent food generators from requiring their counterparts to be of use.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 11, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Food does prevent a point of damage. In fact it recovers 3 points of damage to a player.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

It doesnt really look like a constructed viable mechanic so far unless I missed a card.

It would be nice if food had some other usage like preventing a point of damage or something the way treasure did. Would prevent food generators from requiring their counterparts to be of use.

Don't worry, they'll spoil a blue 4 mana instant draw 2 that also makes a food and accidentally break standard by giving control players an extra 6-9 life for no deckbuilding cost.

also the reason this event sucks so much is that its Bo1 and I didn't realize I could get away with like 14 mountains in cavalcade so I've been running 20 like an idiot. Also I normally play Bo3 and Bo1 just sucks soo bad. did you keep a good hand against aggro because it makes up 75% of the format? YOU IDIOT, you're against control now you lose. or vice versa. Also no sideboards. and its own ban list. Why bother banning anything in Bo1? people WANT a lovely broken format.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eej posted:

Food does prevent a point of damage. In fact it recovers 3 points of damage to a player.
but that sucks and might as well not do anything in draft. (i meant to a creature mb)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just don't think that Food is going to be a deciduous thing and the only cards that gently caress with Food are going to be in this set/block alone. I don't think the point of food is to give you 3 health, since that sucks, but rather to do things like Merchant's card reveals do

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gaining 3 Life is relevant in a lot of match ups. It's not nothing which makes the mechanic a bit smarter to balance than energy.

Also the combo of that cat and Witch's Oven is really loving weird flavor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/boss_mtg/status/1171844485757751296?s=12

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:eyepop:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

:laffo: this is the best.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

Yep. Pretty much my only goal each month is to hit Gold because that's where the free rewards vs effort value proposition hits its maximum. Otherwise I'm just doing whatever is fun (events, drafts, messing around on the ladder, etc.) and don't much care about the sorts of things that have sent places like the MTG Arena subreddit into a cataclysmic meltdown. Smol Teferi, Thought Erasure, 2:1 Wildcards, etc., it seems that so much of the vocal population of the game is just perpetually pissed off.

Although again, I was really annoyed/upset with the original proposed mastery pass because it was relying on mechanics that would compel people to play every day. Once they realized how bad an idea that was I was fine with it.

Spiderdrake posted:

Gaining 3 Life is relevant in a lot of match ups. It's not nothing which makes the mechanic a bit smarter to balance than energy.

I think people are really downplaying gaining 3 life. That's enough potentially to stop an aggro deck and let you stabilize your board provided you construct your deck properly. It might not be a Tier 1 strategy but it's not utterly useless.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 11, 2019

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Have they said whether Brawl will have a ranked mode of its own?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Have they said whether Brawl will have a ranked mode of its own?

I don't think it will, just a play queue which makes sense since it's intended as a casual format.

I'm down for having ladders for everything though because the population is so huge. Gimme a Historic ladder, Brawl ladder, Pauper, Singleton, etc.

About the only thing I really hope they would do is to implement a clock for best-of-1 games just so that spite roping stopped. It's about the only thing I get legit annoyed over.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also bear in mind they said the brawl queue will arrive "sometime in october"

axeil posted:

About the only thing I really hope they would do is to implement a clock for best-of-1 games just so that spite roping stopped. It's about the only thing I get legit annoyed over.
gently caress that give me a shadowban system where if someone ropes three turns in a row it pops up a dialogue at the end of the game "Never play this loving idiot in casual queues again?" and watch ropers eventually flock to reddit to cry "Game queue super slow since last update??? wtf wotc fix ur game"

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Gingerbrute is fantastic

He’s an animated food, and if you’re real fast you CAN catch him

Flavorful!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

It's like a witch's curse. I love it. Add the legendary black elf noble spoiled today and drain them twice as fast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Allowing people to manually block other users from matching is opening a Pandora's Box.

*Blocks every Scapeshift, simic flash, blue/white control, and Thought Erasure user*

"Wow can't find a match. Dead game."

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Wicked Wolf is cool and all but i'll be extremely disappointed if that's the only wolf in this set and we don't get at least one Big Bad Wolf

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chomp8645 posted:

Allowing people to manually block other users from matching is opening a Pandora's Box.

*Blocks every Scapeshift, simic flash, blue/white control, and Thought Erasure user*

"Wow can't find a match. Dead game."

Ban formats are the better option. Queue into someone, see three decks, cancel two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

As I implied, it would only trigger if the game detects the opponent roping, which is kind of the important part of the statement