Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

That's what I love about Star Citizen. I get older but the game stays the same age.

SPERMCUBE.ORG fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

If I were on twitter this is the part where I'd tell him to turn off his monitor.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Vertical slice... my rear end.

BOOM! BOOM!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

One ship that I feel clipped through cracks is the Herald. Basically a ship wrapped around a giant engine to transport "info" quickly. Yet how does it compare to the megaships as far as speed?

It can "accelerate" faster and has a higher top speed when in normal flight- like, 1200 m/s vs 900 m/s for the big cap ships. But during actual travel, i.e. interplanetary, i.e. the part that eats up the most time, it is far, far slower. It takes about 15 minutes to cross the solar system right now. The biggest ship takes less than 3.

They justify this by saying that quantum travel time is based on the size of your drive, and capital ships can carry bigger drives therefore will move faster. Of course they ignore the part where this completely undermines the very concept of running around in single seat spacecraft. They're trying to reproduce a WW2 war-in-the-pacific feel, with carriers that travel five times faster than airplanes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

It can "accelerate" faster and has a higher top speed when in normal flight- like, 1200 m/s vs 900 m/s for the big cap ships. But during actual travel, i.e. interplanetary, i.e. the part that eats up the most time, it is far, far slower. It takes about 15 minutes to cross the solar system right now. The biggest ship takes less than 3.

They justify this by saying that quantum travel time is based on the size of your drive, and capital ships can carry bigger drives therefore will move faster. Of course they ignore the part where this completely undermines the very concept of running around in single seat spacecraft. They're trying to reproduce a WW2 war-in-the-pacific feel, with carriers that travel five times faster than airplanes.

The inevitable consequence of wanting more money at the expense of literally everything else, including the fidelity they claim to value so much.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

That's what I love about Star Citizen. I get older but the game stays the same age.

I get older but the release date is always 2 years away.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Since you are a brave soul that sometimes actually plays this debacle, I have a question: On :reddit: they post lots of screenshots (lol what else to post) of sunrise/sunset and sometimes timelapse videos of some location on one of the moons as it goes through a night/day cycle.
How does that stuff currently work in PU? Do the moons rotate around their axis but stay still in space (in relation to each other, the station and the gas giant?), or do they revolve slowly around the gas giant?
Do the QT destination points rotate with their parent moon? What happens when you transit from "deep space" to a moon's airspace (you get magically yanked to the now rotating frame of reference?) or vice/versa.
Just from casually browsing some SC twitch I cannot figure out how their current implementation works.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, but consider the triangle of power in SC:

1) Big ships beat small ships
2) Expensive ships beat cheap ships
3) Newer ships beat older ships.

Therefore there is nothing weird with a carrier being faster than a plane.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

:vince:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sectopod posted:

Since you are a brave soul that sometimes actually plays this debacle, I have a question: On :reddit: they post lots of screenshots (lol what else to post) of sunrise/sunset and sometimes timelapse videos of some location on one of the moons as it goes through a night/day cycle.
How does that stuff currently work in PU? Do the moons rotate around their axis but stay still in space (in relation to each other, the station and the gas giant?), or do they revolve slowly around the gas giant?
Do the QT destination points rotate with their parent moon? What happens when you transit from "deep space" to a moon's airspace (you get magically yanked to the now rotating frame of reference?) or vice/versa.
Just from casually browsing some SC twitch I cannot figure out how their current implementation works.

Okay this is my brief summary but please understand that this may be wrong and I really don't give enough of a poo poo to correct it anymore:

* All planets and moons in the system are stationary relative to the sun and each other. There are no orbital mechanics.

* They do rotate in place, however, which is what causes sunrises and sunsets. But you'll never see, for example, eclipses or travel times changing because planets are coming closer.

* Space stations are definitely locked in geostationary orbit around the planets. Grim Hex is always in exactly the same place relative to the drug spawn areas, for example.

* I don't know what would happen if you turned off flight assist and came to a halt above a planet. Eventually gravity might pull you down?

* Atmospheric re-entry is entirely a particle effect that is triggered when you travel past a certain speed in-atmosphere. The speed cap was raised to the point that you rarely see it anymore.

* QT points around the planets might be locked in place relative to the surface. Some people assert that that is the case, and give directions based on them? On the other hand, I've had moments where I left a QT point to go to the planet and suddenly the QT point zoomed off away from me at thousands of miles per hour. I'm still not certain.

----------

TLDR: Planets in this game are big stationary objects that turn in place to produce day/night cycles but do not otherwise have any form of newtonian motion.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sectopod posted:

Do the moons rotate around their axis but stay still in space (in relation to each other, the station and the gas giant?)

They rotate in place.

Sectopod posted:

They rotate but their waypoint system is not designed to handle this. So if the destination is on the other side it will drop you in the wrong place. At least it doesn't try to ram you thru the core of the planet, as it did before. Oh, and there are no orbital mechanics (outside the stations, which rotate with the planet), so after a jimp you're just moving at stupid slow speed while the planet rotates, take that into consideration to reach your objective.

But don't worry citizen, they are planning to begin thinking about how to start work on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVR3Z-e6yIM&t=1036s

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cool that it's been so long that we can divide Star Citizen development into different eras and epochs

e: :v: "These ships were designed during Chris Roberts' Bearish phase " "This city shows influences of Cyberpunkian thinking" "During this era, artists from the 2020s neoromanticist school entered the company"

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 11, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

TLDR: Planets in this game are big stationary objects that turn in place to produce day/night cycles but do not otherwise have any form of newtonian motion.

For a one-sixth definition of 'big'.

No, I'm never letting go of this.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Thanks for the write up. I find it funny that shitizens rarely talk about that kind of stuff (you know, how the ingame world actually works) but simultaneously claim that nothing is faked in their BDSSE.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay this is my brief summary but please understand that this may be wrong and I really don't give enough of a poo poo to correct it anymore:
* Atmospheric re-entry is entirely a particle effect that is triggered when you travel past a certain speed in-atmosphere. The speed cap was raised to the point that you rarely see it anymore.

Wasn't the cap raised because in some ship you could reach it in reverse and it would apply the re-entry particle effect when flying backwards?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sectopod posted:

Thanks for the write up. I find it funny that shitizens rarely talk about that kind of stuff (you know, how the ingame world actually works) but simultaneously claim that nothing is faked in their BDSSE.

Citizens can't talk about the stuff that's faked because that would cause a rift in the spacetime continuum and mean the BDSSE is just a hacked together CryEngine mod.

So they just ignore all that poo poo and - ooh look, sunset on Daymar with a citizen posing heroically.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Wow if true -

quote:

Typhooni•17h•
Make that 600-650. Source: I asked several Devs at the Concierge event, including Erin.

That's a lot of people burning through money achieving gently caress all.

Well done Chris .... "Never been done before"

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sectopod posted:

They do their very best to brush anything non-fidelitous under the carpet...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kikas posted:

Wasn't the cap raised because in some ship you could reach it in reverse and it would apply the re-entry particle effect when flying backwards?

Probably, I know you used to be able to hit it just from falling. TBH I can't recall seeing it in the last three months at all, but then I've only booted the game up like once in that time frame.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

Mu77ley posted:

They do their very best to brush anything non-fidelitous under the carpet...

Maybe they're dumb and think it's very fidelitous. Maybe in their minds, that's how the real planets work.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Some real groundbreaking research and not CIG bullshit:

Water found on most habitable known world beyond solar system

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Leaks about this year's CitizenCon based on some images from the SC Leaks discord. There's going to be another long in-game demo with tons of long, pointless travel but some new tidbits for Citizens to lose their minds over:

* A new ship will be debuted, the Anvil Pisces- what this is, who the gently caress knows. Given how they've been trending, probably another Hammerhead-sized ship in the 700 dollar range.

* Debut of the Anvil Carrack which is/was supposed to release in December, who cares, exploration ship in a game with no exploration.

* Travel to the "Jump Point" which could be the first hint that they are actually going to try to stand up a second solar system in the game and try to use the single new wormhole as some kind of prop to sell "Exploration" gameplay. It'd basically be like exploring the tram from Ironforge to Stormwind.

* Supposedly it will be the "Pyro" system on the other side. Given how terminally poo poo they are at producing planets for these things, I wouldn't bet on it containing new assets produced in secret over the last year. Likely they will move Delamar there- they already pulled that planet out and away from the gas giant to kind of get it "Ready" for the move.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's important to note that absolutely none of this jump point or new system poo poo is on the roadmap, once again. Not that that really has any bearing on whether or not they were working on it, but it amuses me that they continually obfuscate what they're actually doing. Chris's insistence on having some big "Wow" moment at the cons completely fucks the public scheduling.

Citizens are going to herald this as the big change that finally makes Star Citizen a real game, forgetting that CIG already said they'd be limited to what, 3 systems at launch? This is probably as big as the game world's going to get. The second it can play stably for more than a couple hours Chris is going to start eyeing the "Final release" button, you idiots.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Leaks about this year's CitizenCon based on some images from the SC Leaks discord. There's going to be another long in-game demo with tons of long, pointless travel but some new tidbits for Citizens to lose their minds over:

* A new ship will be debuted, the Anvil Pisces- what this is, who the gently caress knows. Given how they've been trending, probably another Hammerhead-sized ship in the 700 dollar range.

You absolute imbecile, you moron, don't you know anything about Star Citizen?

https://starcitizen.tools/Pisces

You bear-loving fudster.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

monkeytek posted:

I don't get why they use this example to brag about how amazing the game is. I mean it sounds like an extremely small zone with very limited interaction.

There was a a lot of disappointment among the Citizenry when it launched. They had dreamed for years that CIG's amazing procedural planet tech would generate limitless playable areas with millions of life-like NPCs generating endless amounts of game play content. They would spend hours on Reddit arguing about which planet would be their video game forever home.

Hurston and ArcCorp launched to a pretty big thud and much of what's left of the community is still wallowing in that disappointment. But the Cultists will still shout them down and claim that everything in still "early days" and "tier-o" and all their dreams will come true in current year plus two.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Like you can twist yourself in knots trying to say development REALLY started in current year minus three, but that just makes the project look even worse. It means they blew through 100+ million dollars "building a company" and "refactoring" with almost nothing to show for it.

Of course the reall answer is that Chris went wild right of the gate blowing millions on mocaping A-list actors and outsourced most of the development to third party studios; and most of the work had to be thrown out due to poor oversight. He didn't spend four years picking out office furniture at IKEA.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 12, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1171914698817622016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

You absolute imbecile, you moron, don't you know anything about Star Citizen?

https://starcitizen.tools/Pisces

You bear-loving fudster.

God, they're seriously adding a fourth snub fighter?

What is even the point of these loving things? Fighters that have to be transported by another ship- in a game where you still can't transport fighters in another ship. Brilliant!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

So I get to meet said Hollywood stars?
Will I get to meet famous actress and best marketer since she was a little girl?
Will I get to see S42 finished?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Leaks about this year's CitizenCon based on some images from the SC Leaks discord.

Plz share the JPEGs.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

Plz share the JPEGs.

I didn't save them, they were just screencaps of a file unpack that had a bunch of waypoints and scripts with revealing names.

Meanwhile in other dev shops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28MzVADeeI

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

Production state: Unknown

quote:

It is able to be launched from the hangar bay of Carrack.

quote:

Some of the information on this page is over two years old and may be outdated as a result of the ever-changing nature of a game in development.

They have trouble with their states and tenses. I think that's written in Present Imperfect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
starbase actually looks good also

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: Jump Gate to Nowhere

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Klyith posted:

This is why star citizen has become pretty boring as a spectator sport. Crobbler is probably absolutely having small self-doubts about just how much of a visionary genius he is, so he's avoiding everything but the Con appearances in front of the remaining hard-core fans.

Chris and especially Sandi are in hiding now. It’s not in question.

Sandi has appeared twice in 2019, and on both occasions in bit parts. She used to co-anchor a weekly show AND have her own weekly sketch infotainment like “Sandi goes to Flight School” and “Empire Report” (starring Beck Rossum!) Plus she’d do walk-on appearances on Reverse the Verse sometimes too.

Chris had “10 for the Chairman” and all his other appearances. He’d do Wing Commander Q&As with Ben. He’d do “meet the developer” sit downs and show those golden fingertips through which godcode flowed...

Those days are long gone. Chris may show up once a quarter for a show. He puts in the absolute bare minimum time he has to to keep fans from assuming he’s flown to his own non-extradition island escape. But ever since they talked Calder into writing that nearly $50 million check for Squadron marketing, they’ve all but vanished.

This is good for Star Citizen.

eonwe posted:

is there a goon guild for this game yet

:lol: :eonwe:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 12, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

eonwe posted:

is there a goon guild for this game yet

Yes, just mail $3,000.00 in cash to an address in the Cayman Islands that I will PM you, and you’re in commando!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They're still reworking things.

Development has yet to actually begin :smuggo: checkmate

Oh wait, that means the game will never be out

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Citizen? We Don't Know Yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

God, they're seriously adding a fourth snub fighter?

What is even the point of these loving things? Fighters that have to be transported by another ship- in a game where you still can't transport fighters in another ship. Brilliant!

Well, none of them work properly so, as they say, fourth time is the charm.

Maybe fifth, perhaps seventh.