Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yeah, this poo poo is pretty great. Really hope we get a nice wrap up for the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just read the last two chapters. Holy poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bilirubin posted:

Just read the last two chapters. Holy poo poo.

Good avatar.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Argas posted:

Good avatar.

Thanks. Its descriptive of my posting, good looking, and Abbadon/Operant approved

spivak
May 19, 2010

change my name posted:

I bet the 2,000 years in the future thing is someone showing this to Eren, then he kills himself in the womb. Or something.

Can someone tell me what is this "2000 years in the future" thing, cause I've apparently missed it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

spivak posted:

Can someone tell me what is this "2000 years in the future" thing, cause I've apparently missed it

it's the name of chapter one

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Mangastream version is up with a somewhat better translation. However, this page is still a bit confusing for me.

Is Eren saying that he himself is a man who's denied Grisha's wishes of Eldian restoration, a denial which is his own form of self-affirmation? But that he's also still his dead father's pitiful slave?

I feel like something's lost in translation here, whether he's trying to be metaphorical with Zeke or not. I think he's trying to say with that prior statement that this is what Zeke believes Eren to be, but it's so awkwardly worded.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

The Mangastream version is up with a somewhat better translation. However, this page is still a bit confusing for me.

Is Eren saying that he himself is a man who's denied Grisha's wishes of Eldian restoration, a denial which is his own form of self-affirmation? But that he's also still his dead father's pitiful slave?

I feel like something's lost in translation here, whether he's trying to be metaphorical with Zeke or not. I think he's trying to say with that prior statement that this is what Zeke believes Eren to be, but it's so awkwardly worded.

I think he might be speaking about Zeke here?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
:same:

And I also though he could be talking about Zeke, but that also dont make much sense

edit: he seems to be talking about himself first ("the little brother you[zeke] wanted"), but then after "the only you have", he seems to be talking about Zeke. Is very confusing

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 11, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He starts talking about himself, and then describes Zeke.

The transition between the two is not being well translated, but he's basically telling Zeke that the only person there for him is Zeke himself.

In other words, Eren's got his number, but neither did he need any saving from their father's ghost, nor is he going to provide a shoulder for Zeke to cry on.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 11, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You don't have a sad sack little brother... the only one you have is [yourself].

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He started off talking about himself, but switched to talking about Zeke. Zeke hoped that he'd find a little brother who would share his views and dreams, but nobody shares what is in Zeke's heart except himself: a man who has based most of his life on lashing back at what he thought his father believed in.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It should be noted this is pretty biting for Zeke, since in his heart he thought his plan was noble and carrying on the wishes of his surrogate father (Xaver), but here's Eren telling him that it was actually a form of rebellion against a man he resented for abandoning him.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks for the input. The "The only one you have" is probably just an awkward translation, but it makes sense that he's now talking about Zeke. Maybe it's better as "That leaves us with you, a man whose continued existence..."

I guess it makes Zeke's response more sensible, saying that his dad's actions leads to Zeke's saving the world.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I had to come here just to make sure I understood what had happened so far. I'm not a big fan of time travel as a plot device, because it immediately makes continuity meaningless. Hopefully it will stick the landing, because there have been a lot of twists up until recently.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's pretty tasty that Eren's overwhelming desire for freedom is what is going to cause himself to create a static time loop which eliminates the very idea of free will.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mabels big day posted:

It's pretty tasty that Eren's overwhelming desire for freedom is what is going to cause himself to create a static time loop which eliminates the very idea of free will.

Nah, it's like Dune: you gotta have a Golden Path that's super horrible and subjects humanity to this really lovely prophecy-induced horrorshow so that future generations are forever traumatized into never repeating the same mistakes, thus ensuring True Freedom Ever After.

Eren Is The Hero.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I can't ever tell if this guy's writing satire or is sincere.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've also gotten God Emperor Leto II vibes from Eren, but if you think the series is glorifying that or making that out to be a heroic position, your time would probably be better spent with the morons who call Thanos a hero.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I remember reading someone pointing out stuff like this (chapter 1 and chapter 121). Like, regards to why Grisha wasn't looking at his son when he was talking to him. Turns out he was, just not his son at that point in time.

Holy poo poo. This is a loving sweet catch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Random thought while driving: is the plot of AoT just Final Fantasy 8?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Someone would have to understand what the hell even happened in FF8 before we could determine that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

drat, eren's been dead this whole time

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Schwarzwald posted:

Sasha tried to assassinate her mother?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont remember anything about the plot of FF8 except that it had some huge flying school of magic where the characters studied and some sort of war going on

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kyte posted:

I can't ever tell if this guy's writing satire or is sincere.

He's a moron, he not too long ago stated that being interested in Roman History means you're a fascist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Here's my thought process in somewhat less of a poo poo post:

Initial story is child soldiers trained to fight a specific monster.
Child soldiers have an edge in the form of monster super powers.
The source of the powers is unexpectedly shown to be somewhat-but-not-quite hereditary and prominent characters are shown to be primarily motivated by legacy concerns.
Turns out the monsters were human. (Free space.)
The heroes powers originally came from unethical research.
The true threat of monstrous abilities is revealed not to be merely individual powerful people, but the capability to rule over or control an entire population through mind control. Memory erasure is a thing.
The resolution is ultimately dependent on two people who are effectively time travelers engaging in an extra-temporal space.

Edit: everyone is an orphan and the lead male delves into his father's memories.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 30, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'll come back at you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's my thought process in somewhat less of a poo poo post:

Initial story is child soldiers trained to fight a specific monster.
Child soldiers have an edge in the form of monster super powers.
The source of the powers is unexpectedly shown to be somewhat-but-not-quite hereditary and prominent characters are shown to be primarily motivated by legacy concerns.
Turns out the monsters were human. (Free space.)
The heroes powers originally came from unethical research.
The true threat of monstrous abilities is revealed not to be merely individual powerful people, but the capability to rule over or control an entire population through mind control. Memory erasure is a thing.
The resolution is ultimately dependent on two people who are effectively time travelers engaging in an extra-temporal space.
I think some of that comes from Isayama being directly inspired by the Muv-Luv visual novels, though its possible that FF8 was an influence as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont think the plot borrows much from Muv Luv tbh. Just the seriousness with which the the monsters are handled.

I dont know Eva very well but I think a lot of those plot points apply to it. So this is more a case of some common themes coming up in multiple things.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 30, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I think some of that comes from Isayama being directly inspired by the Muv-Luv visual novels, though its possible that FF8 was an influence as well.

I really don't see any particular Muv-Luv influence here. I'm less about FF8, mostly because it has been quite some years.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Not at all familiar with this Muv-Luv, but I can totally see parallels between the Sorceress stuff and the Founding Titan.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Attack on Titan has borrowed a lot from Eva. Also, every anime in the past 20+ years has borrowed a lot from Eva.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Grisha, The Man With The Machine Gun

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Get in the titan, Eren

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

FF8 grandfather paradoxes, succession of the witches

Muv luv time loop time loop TIME LOOP TIME LOOP

Eva Rebuild is almost certainly a time loop that branced off the original series, somehow. Or potentially predating it, if Final goes real off the rails.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Schwarzwald posted:

P A T H K O M P R E S S I O N

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rereading some old chapters I really like.

It looks like Eren wasn't the first to pass on information that would further his own goal. Well I guess the name of this character doing it is also Eren. Eren Kruger.

Grisha kinda got used by two people holding the attack titan.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Rereading some old chapters I really like.

It looks like Eren wasn't the first to pass on information that would further his own goal. Well I guess the name of this character doing it is also Eren. Eren Kruger.

Grisha kinda got used by two people holding the attack titan.

The implication is that Eren Yeager manipulated Eren Kruger, and apparently all prior holders of the Attack Titan, to create the timeline and outcome he desires.

so eren is responsible for the failed revolutionary coup as well

hell, for all we know at this point, he could have directly manipulated individuals to provoke wars and atrocities and poo poo throughout Eldia's titan-using history, just to get everyone to this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Maybe Eren is somehow responsible for the big civil war that ended with the king fleeing to Paradis too

Anyway, is about time for the be chapter, right? Never been so anxious for it