Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

verdict: excellent as an addition to dishes but way too salty to snack on by themselves. maybe 3-4 washes would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Soak them in vinegar.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
a coworker said i should try Blind Robins. anyone ever had these things, heard about this?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Brolander posted:

a coworker said i should try Blind Robins. anyone ever had these things, heard about this?

They're dried salted smoked herring fillets, kind of like a fish landjager. The ones I've seen are shelf-stable, sold in small portions in vacuum sealed clear bags, and quite salty.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Because sticky threads come and go but the sardine thread is forever

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I found another discarded tin from my rogue sardine neighbor. It was chicken of the sea. Should I leave a can of KOs under the next tin I find?

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Serious question here.
I'm on the immune protocol diet sorta, we, my life may be over, dunno yet.

I need to eat bone in sardines (and salmon) to get calcium; I'm eating no dairy at all.

Thank Christ I like sardines fine, I've been eating the tinned ones from Costco. They can't be in any sauce, just olive oil.

Suggestions?
Edit: CANNOT be salty

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If the salt thing is a medical restriction, you might want to post a sodium limit in mg.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If the salt thing is a medical restriction, you might want to post a sodium limit in mg.

Thanks but no idea
I can't eat a lot of salt for sure but that's not a real problem for me- I don't like salty food anyway. The percentage of the RDA gives a good enough idea :shrug:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

crazypeltast52 posted:

I found another discarded tin from my rogue sardine neighbor. It was chicken of the sea. Should I leave a can of KOs under the next tin I find?

yes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spins posted:

Serious question here.

This thing? https://www.healthline.com/health/aip-diet

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The salt thing sounds like it could be renal related? Or maybe not?

My friend went through dialysis and a kidney transplant and had to adjust what he could eat a lot-- post transplant he still has to be careful about sodium intake which is why I bring it up.

Godspeed, dine goon.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yup
So grateful I love veggies

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spins posted:

Serious question here.

I need to eat bone in sardines (and salmon) to get calcium; I'm eating no dairy at all.

Thank Christ I like sardines fine, I've been eating the tinned ones from Costco. They can't be in any sauce, just olive oil.

Suggestions?
Edit: CANNOT be salty

Not sardines, but you mentioned salmon.
My mom used to make, and I am still a sucker for, once and awhile making salmon loaf using canned salmon.

The gist of it is:
Take salmon out of can and, under running water, use your hands to rinse the skin off it. Don't bother to debone it, it's not needed, plus you want them specifically anyway. The skin is just gross on canned salmon imo.
Combine two cans with one whole egg and the white of another (we'll use the yolk of it later), and some panko bread crumbs.
I also like to add some shredded (via cheese grater or food processor) onion, say one small ones worth, the juice of one lemon, and a big handful of finely chopped dill.
Goop that all together in a bowl and put it in a bread pan.

Now get a baking sheet and cover it in tinfoil.
Put the baking sheet over the bread pan and flip it over. Remove the bread pan. You should have a nice salmon... Brick.

Place that in a preheated 400 degree oven for a few minutes while you whisk together some mustard, some more lemon juice, and one egg yolk. Just the yolk, not the whole egg.
The sauce should be relatively thick. Think... Runny BBQ sauce.

After the loaf has been in the oven 10 minutes or so while you've done this, baste it with the sauce. Give it another 10 minutes or so and baste it again and let it finish cooking another 10-20 minutes.
Times aren't exact because the salmon is already cooked, you just want it HOT and the glaze to set.

Remove from oven, let rest for a couple minutes, then slice and serve.

Obviously you can toy with this recipe and seasonings as you like, you can go alot of ways with it, but what I posted here is a great way to start.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 10, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I;m thinking about thos Dines. will they truly be worth all the 5s?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Big Beef City posted:

Not sardines, but you mentioned salmon.
My mom used to make, and I am still a sucker for, once and awhile making salmon loaf using canned salmon.

The gist of it is:
Take salmon out of can and, under running water, use your hands to rinse the skin off it. Don't bother to debone it, it's not needed, plus you want them specifically anyway. The skin is just gross on canned salmon imo.
Combine two cans with one whole egg and the white of another (we'll use the yolk of it later), and some panko bread crumbs.
I also like to add some shredded (via cheese grater or food processor) onion, say one small ones worth, the juice of one lemon, and a big handful of finely chopped dill.
Goop that all together in a bowl and put it in a bread pan.

Now get a baking sheet and cover it in tinfoil.
Put the baking sheet over the bread pan and flip it over. Remove the bread pan. You should have a nice salmon... Brick.

Place that in a preheated 400 degree oven for a few minutes while you whisk together some mustard, some more lemon juice, and one egg yolk. Just the yolk, not the whole egg.
The sauce should be relatively thick. Think... Runny BBQ sauce.

After the loaf has been in the oven 10 minutes or so while you've done this, baste it with the sauce. Give it another 10 minutes or so and baste it again and let it finish cooking another 10-20 minutes.
Times aren't exact because the salmon is already cooked, you just want it HOT and the glaze to set.

Remove from oven, let rest for a couple minutes, then slice and serve.

Obviously you can toy with this recipe and seasonings as you like, you can go alot of ways with it, but what I posted here is a great way to start.

Dude look at his diet restrictions.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poverty goat posted:

I feel morally obligated to like those as I'm Filipino but I just don't care for 555's selections.

That said you should disregard my own opinions & totally try them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Dude look at his diet restrictions.

They said canned salmon.

They said no dairy I figured they meant milk and cheeses given that's what dairy is

If fresh dill and lemon are immune destroying I'm... Sorry?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 10, 2019

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Beef City posted:

They said canned salmon.

They said no dairy I figured they meant milk and cheeses given that's what dairy is

If frsh dill and lemon are immune destroying I'm... Sorry?

I'm a chick and I appreciate the effort post! I'm mostly wondering where I can get bone in sardines and salmon without breaking the bank :shrug:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Spins posted:

I'm a chick and I appreciate the effort post! I'm mostly wondering where I can get bone in sardines and salmon without breaking the bank :shrug:

ethnic grocery stores have the best, cheapest sardines

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

They said canned salmon.

If fresh dill and lemon are immune destroying I'm... Sorry?

That diet link says no eggs and I'm pretty sure panko is not going to work in something that's more restrictive than paleo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

That diet link says no eggs and I'm pretty sure panko is not going to work in something that's more restrictive than paleo.

Luckily, if you read the link yourself, arrowroot starch is totally copacetic and that's MORE than fine for our purposes, since we need a binder, and not a topping.
(The panko is just nice for both, and convenient)
You can also skip the eggs if using the starch since that's a much stronger binder.

The texture is gonna be a bit off until you funk around with the recipe more, BUT since you can do olive oil, incorporate that into the mixture at about what you'd approximate "that's what an egg looks like bitch" and guess what?

Same with the glaze, though just maybe go mustard and red wine vinegar reduction and maaaaaybe try basting with that or maybe just have a side dipping sauce if things go sideways.

Also.
Look.

That link is stupid.
Please, for the love of Christ don't be so stupid as to follow fad diets because 'you are dieing!' that within two paragraphs say

"Don't use food thickeners"
And then recommend

"Arrow root" starch

Motherfucker you sure they didn't recommend taro root starch?

It's STARCH.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In other words, eat the canned fish and make the salmon loaf.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can your diet handle fresh 'dines/fishes? If so I recommend going that route.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

canned fish gets pressure cooked or whatever so the bones turn to jelly, eating a fresh fish spine is probably like eating a stick of chalk, or well a bone i guess.

Not sure if you can handle corn but tacos with salmon and a sorta salsa made from vinegar and minced celery/garlic/onion with oregano and rosemary sounds good. or wrap it up in lettuce/cabbage.

Lmao at the salmon brick. My mom made salmon patties although you'd probably have to play around with the arrowroot starch to get it right without ending up with some weird brick of starch

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks you guys I mean it. Unfortunately this isn't a fad diet, I'm not trying to lose weight. The ethnic store info I will try, I just had no idea where to find bone in and I have to get calcium somewhere!

Dont want to use internet and buy the best irridated Chernobyl fish available.

I suppose I'll attempt cooking later, rn I'm eating it (and certain tunas) straight out of the tin fine, or added to salads.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spins posted:

Thanks you guys I mean it. Unfortunately this isn't a fad diet, I'm not trying to lose weight. The ethnic store info I will try, I just had no idea where to find bone in and I have to get calcium somewhere!

I suppose I'll attempt cooking later, rn I'm eating it (and certain tunas) straight out of the tin fine, or added to salads.

Almost any "big" can of salmon is going to be bone-in. Literally unless it says "boneless/skinless," you should expect there to be bones in it. If your grocery store doesn't have this on the shelf, they're a bad grocery store.
Check the aisle with the sardines/vienna sausages etc. And as someone said, they're completely soft and just sort of crumble when you mash up the fish with a fork or your fingers. The guy upthread posted a salmon loaf recipe, I do a similar thing to make "salmon cakes"

1 Can (~15oz) of pink salmon (Like this one. Don't waste money on "red salmon")
1 Large Egg, slightly beaten
1/2 medium onion, well chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce (if you can have it in your diet, if not, omit)
1 tsp black pepper, ground
Panko Bread Crumbs (Use coconut flour if you've got to go gluten free)

Other spices are up to your imagination. Dill, rosemary and thyme (1 tsp each) are really good if you want a nice savory taste. I like sage an oregano for an almost "fish sausage" taste. I also like putting in paprika or hot sauce. The sky's the limit, go hog wild.

Oven preheated to 375.
A cookie sheet with parchment on it.
A large mixing bowl
Your hands, washed and clean
An ice-cream scoop (if you've got it)

1) Open the can of salmon, and dump it, juice, skin, bones and all into the mixing bowl. Using your hands (well washed), start to break up and pulverize the salmon and bones. Squeeze the bones between your fingers and they'll crumble into paste. Keep working until you have a nice uniform "mash" on the fish.
2) Now dump the egg, onion, garlic, pepper, and worcestershire sauce into the bowl. Knead that in with the fish until it's well blended.
3) Wash and dry your hands.
4) Starting with a 1/2 cup of bread crumbs or coconut flour, begin kneading with one hand while keeping the other hand dry to add in more if needed. Keep kneading until you get something the consistency of "dough." (Hint, this recipe will use less coconut flour, as it really "gums up" when exposed to moisture. If it gets too crumbly, add a tablespoon of water to it and keep working it.)
5) Once you've got your dough, roll it into balls a little larger than a golf ball, ~1.5 to 2" wide. Then flatten them with lay the patties on the parchment lined cookie sheet. (If you've got an ice cream scoop, you can quickly portion these out, but you can just eye-ball it too.)
6) Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes. They should get nice and golden, be crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.

You can also use the big cans of mackerel to make this recipe (including bones!) and mackerel is usually ~$2 a can as opposed to salmon's $4 a can.

Also, this recipe was classically pan-fried. You can do that, too, but I like the oven because clean up is a lot easier.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 10, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I smoked some chicken wings over the weekend for the start of the NFL season & I started thinking about smoking my own sardines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_nHODWDG0
I think I'll try this out either this weekend or next one.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

poverty goat posted:

In my experience any canned fish that's fried and packed in black bean sauce is good. Usually pretty salty, often fried to the point where it's kind of dried out and tough, but still good.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

I smoked some chicken wings over the weekend for the start of the NFL season & I started thinking about smoking my own sardines.

I did it with a bunch of little fingerling trout a few years ago, so I can't imagine 'dines would be anything other than delicious when smoked.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

i'd love to do this but i've never been able to find fresh dines.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spins posted:

It literally does not make sense that your 'diet'
Wants you to eat fish bones but you can't eat eggs.
It says you can't have 'food thickeners' but then advocates starches.

And now, per you, it's ok to add them to 'salads'
So.. Like fresh herbs and stuff should be just as good as fresh lettuce?

Are there carrots in your salads?
THAT would be problematic on multiple levels.

What you're asking for is ridiculous.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

It literally does not make sense that your 'diet'
Wants you to eat fish bones but you can't eat eggs.
It says you can't have 'food thickeners' but then advocates starches.

And now, per you, it's ok to add them to 'salads'
So.. Like fresh herbs and stuff should be just as good as fresh lettuce?

Are there carrots in your salads?
THAT would be problematic on multiple levels.

What you're asking for is ridiculous.

lol good lord. The person whose life is in danger doesn't need your approval for their medically prescribed diet. In what world are fish bones, lettuce, and eggs in the same category?

YOU SAY YOU CAN'T EAT PEANUTS BUT I SEE YOU EATING ICE CREAM

Just shut up and let this goon tend to her health.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My question is why not just eat a supplement instead of ghoulishly wandering the ethnic grocer searching for bones to eat?

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poverty goat posted:

My question is why not just eat a supplement instead of ghoulishly wandering the ethnic grocer searching for bones to eat?

I did not mean to derail this most excellent thread.

Calcium supplements cause constipation.

I'm simply eating as clean as humanly possible and have stopped all meds, everything artificial whatsoever. Appts with rheumatologists are scheduled.
Thanks.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Spins posted:

I did not mean to derail this most excellent thread.

Calcium supplements cause constipation.

I'm simply eating as clean as humanly possible and have stopped all meds, everything artificial whatsoever. Appts with rheumatologists are scheduled.
Thanks.

Good luck, autoimmune illnesses suck!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I got two cases of KO med mackerel and have replaced my daily outage intake of tuna with them.

Some co-workers are not pleased.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I make salmon patties/burgers pretty often with canned salmon. Salmon, egg, very coarse saltine cracker crumbs (that is important), diced onion that gets sweated in a little butter so it's not crunchy, a little lemon juice, black pepper, and worcestershire. Fry golden brown and serve with mayo or hollandaise if you feel fancy.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

poverty goat posted:

'Dines will make you stronger, faster, smarter and tougher in a way that some sissy pill can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have to say I noticed I’d gained a spring in my step when I started eating sardines