Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really am hoping that Martinez doesn't have any bullshit "Super Moves" that we haven't seen like... just let he guy at the top of the boxing world be an extremely good fundamental boxer. Don't have him be "I was hiding my power level the entire time." crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Onmi posted:

I really am hoping that Martinez doesn't have any bullshit "Super Moves" that we haven't seen like... just let he guy at the top of the boxing world be an extremely good fundamental boxer. Don't have him be "I was hiding my power level the entire time." crap.

Tbf what is a left jab if not a Super power in HnI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, Sendo learning basic-rear end footing techniques and getting angry enough to use them when the other boxer mildly roasted him basically allowed him to give his rival Boxing-PTSD.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Wark Say posted:

Hell, Sendo learning basic-rear end footing techniques and getting angry enough to use them when the other boxer mildly roasted him basically allowed him to give his rival Boxing-PTSD.

I thought that was also him figuring out the mysterious power of ankle weights.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the line from kamogawa where he goes "he's learning how to fully use his legs!" as if the guy didn't have 10 professional matches under his belt already was absurd. a lot of this manga is absurd.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sendo isn't going to fight Ippo 3 times in a row so Sendo has to lose at some point.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Sendo isn't going to fight Ippo 3 times in a row so Sendo has to lose at some point.

yeah i used to consider it a "must have" from a metanarrative POV but i dont think its likely upon review. the ones that would be weird not to have though are

ippo vs miyata
ippo vs itagaki
ippo vs ricardo

if we dont get those three in some way shape or form i'll find it quite bizarre, i suppose they can be left hanging but it'd just feel quite weird to never really get to see those matches

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the next official match will be Woli vs Martinez, and Woli will easily defeat him. Ippo will go "haha no" and realize he was right to give up boxing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

:actually:, waaaaaaaaaaay back in the Date match there was some talk about his true nature, and that he was actually a violent street brawler but people just never saw it because no challenger was ever strong enough to force him to use that style.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Takes No Damage posted:

:actually:, waaaaaaaaaaay back in the Date match there was some talk about his true nature, and that he was actually a violent street brawler but people just never saw it because no challenger was ever strong enough to force him to use that style.

Isn't that literally Gonzales's gimmick?! I would at least accept a gimmick where Martinez secret style is Peekaboo boxing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

Isn't that literally Gonzales's gimmick?! I would at least accept a gimmick where Martinez secret style is Peekaboo boxing

I think he was talking about Gonzales by mistake there.

I think Richardo was said to just really good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ricardo's "true style" isn't a stance change or a secret second personality anything, it's just the character of his boxing when pushed is less about technical execution and more "tear some meat off."

Basically like Volg, but with less hand-wringing and emotional baggage. Or Gonzalez, with less macho rage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I want Sendo to effortlessly win the whole thing and heel turn like Takamura just poo poo talking everyone and everything while enjoying life as the undisputed champ. Ippo can sulk in the corner with Miyata or whatever just let us have this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sendo would never do that because he's a good boy, his grandma would kill him if he started acting like that. He will definitely win and become the world champion tho

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
But have you considered he's actually not very good at boxing?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Like hell he aint. Hes Rocky. Dont talk poo poo about Sendo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sendo lost to a guy who can't box, twice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was almost 6 years ago. After his comeback hasn't he destroyed every single match aside from Ramirez and maybe Nargo?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i gave up reading back during the woli fight and only started again when ippo retired. what are the good non-ippo fight chapters so i can give them a read?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jose posted:

i gave up reading back during the woli fight and only started again when ippo retired. what are the good non-ippo fight chapters so i can give them a read?

Vorg fighting for the world was a really good fight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

All the non-ippo fights since Woli were p good imo.

Vorg fight was awesome, as good as any of the best in the series. Mashiba fight was solid.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Martínez is going to destroy Sendo so hard, random readers will be hurt as well and I hope it's not me

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
1275 is up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, 30 years culminating in Martinez upgrading to "sort of entity."

Can't wait til I'm on my death bed and he accepts a match from someone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unless Alf and Sendo both die from this match I don't think you're going to be waiting too long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That made me crack up pretty hard Everyone blanking looking at Sendo cuz they can’t understand him. Its nice to see that Ricardo aint all serious boxer face. RIP Sendo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sendowns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/IcbYZ9A.gifv

Just a reminder of where we've grown from.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IcbYZ9A.gifv

Just a reminder of where we've grown from.

I actually rather like that sequence.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

there was some outrageously weird meta self-commentary in some of those fights lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That sequence is actually really good from a choreography sense- it's just that Woli's style was kinda stupid in general and Ippo should've lost there but he defeats Woli because he hits him with a magic 1-inch punch repeatedly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

That sequence is actually really good from a choreography sense- it's just that Woli's style was kinda stupid in general and Ippo should've lost there but he defeats Woli because he hits him with a magic 1-inch punch repeatedly.

Well there is a reason Kamogawa said that Ippo would never be able to beat Woli again.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
At this point, from an outsider’s perspective, keeping up with Ippo, for many of you, seems like an act of contrition. Y’all are some Anime-Anchorites

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

rest his guts posted:

At this point, from an outsider’s perspective, keeping up with Ippo, for many of you, seems like an act of contrition. Y’all are some Anime-Anchorites

If Ippo, the character, was all this manga had going for it, it 100% should've ended when he took the Japanese title

Thankfully the supporting cast are good enough to more than make up for his own dull nerdy rear end, along with the entire feeling of the series having more of a "slice of life and sometimes boxing manga" feel than "THE STORY OF ONE MAN'S EPIC RISE TO THE TOP OF THE WORLD" that allows it to chug along with litlte character moments and bits of comedy where a more pure competition/high character stakes-oriented series would've fizzled out. Hell, this little interlude where he's stopped boxing for health considerations is probably the best thing he's done character-wise since fighting Sawamura. I know injury/health concerns are common enough in sports manga, but the sorta almost comic strip-like persistence and usually high casual tone of Ippo really gives it a different vibe to, for instance, when Sakuragi got hosed up in Slam Dunk

also this is the internet and people love complaining, so there's that

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like people were hate-reading Ippo during the dark Japanese Title Defense era because it was getting worse and worse, but now things have kinda gotten back on track. It's just that it was pretty bad for quite a while so the snarkiness remains.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
If anyone was going to make Ricardo *ahem* SLIP :airquote: I'm glad it was Sendo.

I could see Sendo defeat Alfredo, then go back to Japan to challenge Ippo, the man who defeated him twice. But it would be more dramatic to see Sendo end-up injured after a brutal fight, inspiring Ippo to finally act as a goddamn champion, and do whatever it takes to either defeat Ricardo, or get the other belt and then challenge Ricardo as an equal champion in an unification match.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sendo's going to defeat Alf then get crushed by Martinez but only after making him work for it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kal-L posted:

If anyone was going to make Ricardo *ahem* SLIP :airquote: I'm glad it was Sendo.

I could see Sendo defeat Alfredo, then go back to Japan to challenge Ippo, the man who defeated him twice. But it would be more dramatic to see Sendo end-up injured after a brutal fight, inspiring Ippo to finally act as a goddamn champion, and do whatever it takes to either defeat Ricardo, or get the other belt and then challenge Ricardo as an equal champion in an unification match.

I get the feeling it's gonna go all nationalistic like in Rocky IV with Sendo playing the role of Apollo Creed to Ippo's Rocky.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

rest his guts posted:

ippos so outrageously long of a manga that it's entirely possible to really love enough chapters to constitute a whole story and hate others in equal chunks

chapter 1-400 or so (up through the ww2 flashback) are incredible and include my favorite shonen storyline probably ever (takamura vs hawk)

it then bizarrely devolves into pointless stagnation story beats for legitimately HUNDREDS of chapters, punctuated time to time with actually good moments here and there . i fully admit i was 100% wrong on the retirement storyline, as its turned out really solid, because the story is actually moving forward for a change even if it isn't a straight line. the frustrating aspect of "how we got here" though was the fact that really this couldve been truncated by legitimately years and years and years of content. there's no reason we needed ALL OF THOSE PACIFIC CHAMPION FIGHTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why was Takamura vs Hawk (and most of the chapters that surrounded it) so drat good, though? Like, some of the fights can be stellar and even make you emotional, but how the devil did Morikawa pulled it off? Hell, it even made me not hate old man Kamogawa despite everything else the character is about before his flashback arc?