Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

AFewBricksShy posted:

The lovely joints aside, that is just a stacked bond pattern which is done all the time.

Citation need on this claim, I have never in my life seen floorboards (or anything meant to imitate floorboards) laid out in a grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've never seen wood flooring laid down with gaps. Do they plan on grouting the wood? I'm so confused.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

poemdexter posted:

I've never seen wood flooring laid down with gaps. Do they plan on grouting the wood? I'm so confused.

It's tile with wood print on it.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

poemdexter posted:

It's tile that's made to look like wood. efb

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Dear god why?????

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I think the thing which bothers me most is the white balance.

AFewBricksShy posted:

My question is how the hell did they not discuss layout with the guy who set it before it went in?

You've obviously never seen the overlap of the arrogant homeowner who thinks he's getting a great deal and the tile guy who is the cheapest in a 50 mile radius. He took one look at it and thought "these people have ugly taste in tile", was told to lay it out so it looks great, and went to work. A few hours and a couple hundred bucks (cash) later, he said he was done. "I'll come back tomorrow to grout it" (with the generic greyish or beige grout bags I keep in my truck.)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wood-like tile is sold so that people can pretend their bathrooms are still part of the rest of the house, or to merge a kitchen and main room that is made out of real wood. It's a bit more common in urban areas.

That being said, I think this is a trend that is going to become old and dumb in 2 years, and I refuse to install wood tile in my house because it's so stupid.

Also, with wood and flooring, the larger the width/dimensions of floor and the larger the tile, the easier it is to regrout, clean, and it looks better and more luxurious.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

The lovely joints aside, that is just a stacked bond pattern which is done all the time. My question is how the hell did they not discuss layout with the guy who set it before it went in?

Really? I've never seen it before in any building I've worked on, or owned.
I always assume goons are in the US (I'm in the [not] United Kingdom), is this an American thing?
Floors specifically, seen it on walls

If someone did that on a job for me, I'd think it was a prank, or they were having a breakdown

OK, I goggled imaged "stacked bond floor " and maybe I have seen it, but not noticed. That example is awful, inappropriate, and done for speed and easiness. Ugh, not easy on the eye, gross.
Too loving long. It's literally unnoticeable in brick, not those lengths, gently caress my eyes.

Easy fix though.
I'd love to see the guy do something fancy. Basket weave in real parquet.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
We had a client once who told us she wanted her tile laid out like a brick pattern. We dry fitted it, and she looked at it and approved it. After install, she started screaming at us that it was done wrong, and started describing a simple stack bond pattern. It went back and forth for awhile, with her getting increasingly angry because the pattern we did had more lines in it. We argued that she had seen the dry fit and approved it, and that no, this pattern didn't 'have more lines' and she angrily declared that she knew it had more lines because she took geometry in high school.

The best part is I think management ended up cutting her a huge discount, because of course they would.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poemdexter posted:

Dear god why?????

I mean, you thought it was wood at a glance.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

The lovely joints aside, that is just a stacked bond pattern which is done all the time. My question is how the hell did they not discuss layout with the guy who set it before it went in?

I've found from experience that it's easy to think you and the tiler are on the same page only to find out you weren't, but too late.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gently caress the last time I had any tiling done it was by a random Eastern European guy the builder recommended and he turned up drunk or severely hungover) at 8am on a Saturday, took one look and said nothing except "you need more trim", asked no questions and then worked solidly for 6 hours and did the best goddamn tiling job I've ever seen. It was amazing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
How bout a hot glued tile mosaic around a mirror?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

How bout a hot glued tile mosaic around a mirror?

...h.how long did this take?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

...h.how long did this take?

How long will it last?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

toplitzin posted:

How long will it last?

It's uglier than 3-day-old sin, so it'll last forever.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Scarodactyl posted:

Last year around Christmas one of our neighbors hung some old crystal chandeliers from the trees in their front yard. Made great christmas lights when the sun hit them.
I love not having an HoA.

A house in my neighborhood has a giant disco ball hanging from a tree.

I found this at the thrift store the other day.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

There was a sale on one pattern of faux marble tile and by golly they're going to use it

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

There was a sale on one pattern of faux marble tile and by golly they're going to use it

Oh god. That reminds me of when my dad and I put weird grey diamond plate kind pattern lino in a fellows basement. Not just the floors, but up the walls.

Dude was super happy, and so were we when we finally got out of there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a certain breed of boomer-dad that just loves diamond-plate and would ideally coat the interior and exterior of their home, vehicle, and own body with it.

I've seen so many "man caves" in upper middle class suburban houses with diamond plate bar tables and diamond plate trim and so on.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
that mancave looks like an s&m room

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
so a different kind of mancave i guess

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
looks like a waiting room at a mechanic, minus the dirt

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

that mancave looks like an s&m room

In most cases it's some sort of findom relationship with a couple Harleys and or a "classic" american sports car. I think they also gently caress the vehicles.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

There's a certain breed of boomer-dad that just loves diamond-plate and would ideally coat the interior and exterior of their home, vehicle, and own body with it.

I've seen so many "man caves" in upper middle class suburban houses with diamond plate bar tables and diamond plate trim and so on.

13 year old me would have thought that was the coolest room ever

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Showing everyone how much of a motorhead I am by making it impossible to park a car in my garage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How many of these dudes take the time to actually use their spaces??

loving middle aged people are depressing. They spend thousands on useless poo poo they literally can't stop working to appreciate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honey, where is my towel?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That faux malrble poo poo makes it look like the bathroom of a cheap hotel that wants you to think it's classy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Youth Decay posted:

While it's bad, I bet it would look a lot more tolerable without the lovely HDR.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GotLag posted:

Citation need on this claim, I have never in my life seen floorboards (or anything meant to imitate floorboards) laid out in a grid.

It's just porcelain tile. You're correct in that generally if it's a wood look tile you'd want running bond, not stacked bond.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Really? I've never seen it before in any building I've worked on, or owned.
I always assume goons are in the US (I'm in the [not] United Kingdom), is this an American thing?
Floors specifically, seen it on walls

If someone did that on a job for me, I'd think it was a prank, or they were having a breakdown

OK, I goggled imaged "stacked bond floor " and maybe I have seen it, but not noticed. That example is awful, inappropriate, and done for speed and easiness. Ugh, not easy on the eye, gross.
You'll see it a lot in building core toilet rooms and stuff. Generally you see it with a less "plank" looking tile, but rather something like a 12x24 (30x60). We don't really do much in residential, so we get some boring stuff.

Personally, I would have tried to do a basket weave pattern with that tile, I bet it would have looked cool.
but with a dead on matching grout color and as tight a joint as possible.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 12, 2019

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my parents did a partial remodel of one of the bathrooms, and hired a family friend to do the tile. He was a plumber by trade, but also did tilework, and since he was a friend from church he cut them a good deal, I guess. He was nearly done with the job when he off-hand mentioned that he had to "fire" himself from a previous job because he knew he wasn't very good at tiling and his boss was too nice to say so. :doh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Drone posted:

While it's bad, I bet it would look a lot more tolerable without the lovely HDR.

Getting mad at HDR on real estate photos is just :effort:

No one wants to buy a house with dimly lit photos. They make everything look creepy, so HDR at least it's a low effort low cost solution.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

uhhhh snake?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg snake

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

mattfl posted:

uhhhh snake?

It looks like a (fake) Western Diamondback. I'd assume the owner thinks it's "hilarious" to frighten his friends with it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mattfl posted:

uhhhh snake?

holy poo poo the outlet cover is holographic

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not gonna lie, I would totally dress like Guy Fieri and drink Miller Lites in that garage.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Not gonna lie, I would totally dress like Guy Fieri and drink Miller Lites in that garage.

You know that stainless utility sink is used almost exclusively as a urinal (due to said Miller Lites.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
That's a horrid mancave.

Buddy's basement looked more like a Magic Eye gone wrong. It was tough to see the corners and where the walls met the floor. Standing up right was a little hard by the time we left.

But he was happy and the cheque didn't bounce so w/e.

This was the closest thing I could find. The diamonds were smoother, a slightly different shade of grey than the rest of the lino and they didn't stand out as much.

Old Balls McGee fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 12, 2019