Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bubbacub posted:

Eh, it's probably a way to appease people who are dreaming about functional docking mechanics. If it fits into some kind of special docking socket with a scripted animation, then they can claim to have working hangars.

Could be.

On the other hand, the Constellation ship has had a snub fighter docked into its' rear end with a custom docking collar for seven years and they still haven't gotten around to making it detachable. So, it's possible that they aren't competent enough to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

So, like half the post in the r/starcitizen sub are about the newest "caudillo" helmet that has just been released. Like, whoa! so cool.

Also, lol:

Hey! The 890 is the fastest ship. Who could have guesasfas434ejskfldsf

To the person asking about the data-runner ship earlier- it's the Herald on there, fifth row.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

So, like half the post in the r/starcitizen sub are about the newest "caudillo" helmet that has just been released. Like, whoa! so cool.

Also, lol:

Hey! The 890 is the fastest ship. Who could have guesasfas434ejskfldsf

Helmet! Helmet!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is Gary Oldman still/back in Squadron 42? I'm not up to date on the last couple of years or so, but the last I heard he got out of the project.

Oh, I hope so. His performance we've seen so far is so bad that it's cringe-inducing. It's an absolute astounding achievement that Chris is such a bad director that he got a horrible performance out of Gary loving Oldman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kikas posted:

Namco Bandai has a patent on loading screen minigames, that's why noone else can do them.
That expired quite a while ago.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Chris is too busy though, he's busy coding SSOCS late into the night. This was confirmed by people who talked to him at the exclusive dinner thingy.

Chris is the best coder ever, and always has been since he was a little girl.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of space games, this is pretty cool, like someone made a cross of Kenshi and Escape Velocity, or something :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lnding sccsfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOE_s2mCbWc&feature=youtu.be

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chris's perfectionism on full display.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
With the way that ship was humping the bigger ship, you would think the backers were all humpback whales.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why are there contrails in space?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Popete posted:

Chris Roberts cons leave a trail anywhere they go

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

DJ Croberts midnight code'n beats for the crowdfund

https://i.imgur.com/c0737Ex.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

Remember the Fawlty Towers episode where Basil's wife gets pissed at him and fucks off on the same day he had a party planned for their anniversary? He spends the rest of the episode constructing more and more elaborate lies explaining her absence - that she's very ill, and can't see the guests, but she's totally there and everything is fine, eventually he dressed up Polly as his wife and turns down the lights and tries to pass her off to the guests. One guest gets too close and gets bitten before she can reveal the ruse. Things spiral further and further into the absurd in true series fashion.

Star Citizen is the game development version of that episode.

This is creepy, I'm watching Fawlty Towers right now, for the first time in like 4 years

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

They got conned that's why.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

So if they land, that 870 owner can sell the ship that landed on it, right?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just watched the Death Stranding livestream.

In your private quarters, you can choose wether you want to pee sitting or standing.

Crobbear, where is this fidelity in Star Citizen? Fire up the mocap rig!!!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

tuo posted:

Just watched the Death Stranding livestream.

In your private quarters, you can choose wether you want to pee sitting or standing.

Crobbear, where is this fidelity in Star Citizen? Fire up the mocap rig!!!

So, does that have any impact on gameplay or is it just pissing contest with starr citizen?
(I know taking a piss is what I always wanted to do in a video game (come to think of it, you could do it in duke nukem 3d and iirc it give you a little health? So toilets in duke nukem had more gameplay that star citizen toilets :thunk:)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

commando in tophat posted:

So, does that have any impact on gameplay or is it just pissing contest with starr citizen?
(I know taking a piss is what I always wanted to do in a video game (come to think of it, you could do it in duke nukem 3d and iirc it give you a little health? So toilets in duke nukem had more gameplay that star citizen toilets :thunk:)

No idea about standing or sitting, but if enough people worldwide piss on the same spot, a mushroom grows.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pissing is fairly integral to the game play of My Summer Car (aka Fidelity, Fury and Frustration: The Game)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'll buy an SC starter package if I can piss into the pool inside another Commando's space yacht, but only of the actuall polution level of the water is correctly tracked...NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4 etc.

I mean, that's minimum fidelity for owning a virtual space pool ship...

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is Gary Oldman still/back in Squadron 42? I'm not up to date on the last couple of years or so, but the last I heard he got out of the project.

I'm fairly out of the loop of multi-player games other than Vermintide. Are there games that have interesting gameplay with multi-crew vehicles? Manning a turret while the pilot is flying evasive 3d maneuvers sounds miserable, but I'm curious what decent developers have come up with in this regard.

Elite has incorporated quite interesting turret multicrew gameplay, where the turret crew can rotate around the ship (like a 3rd person/ship view, I guess?) and "man" any turret the ship owner allows them to control (by default any), so if you have enough turrets they can be on-target basically all the time. But it can be a pain to get multicrew running in the first place because of its P2P networking structure - if one of the players in multicrew has bad connection, it can get pretty hard to get it to work consistently.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kikas posted:

Namco Bandai has a patent on loading screen minigames, that's why noone else can do them.

I was under the impression that that patent had run out some years ago.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nevermind the contrails I am the wingtip vortices in vacuum!

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Pissing is fairly integral to the game play of My Summer Car (aka Fidelity, Fury and Frustration: The Game)

Perkele?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

G0RF posted:

Chris and especially Sandi are in hiding now. It’s not in question.

Sandi has appeared twice in 2019, and on both occasions in bit parts. She used to co-anchor a weekly show AND have her own weekly sketch infotainment like “Sandi goes to Flight School” and “Empire Report” (starring Beck Rossum!) Plus she’d do walk-on appearances on Reverse the Verse sometimes too.

Chris had “10 for the Chairman” and all his other appearances. He’d do Wing Commander Q&As with Ben. He’d do “meet the developer” sit downs and show those golden fingertips through which godcode flowed...

Those days are long gone. Chris may show up once a quarter for a show. He puts in the absolute bare minimum time he has to to keep fans from assuming he’s flown to his own non-extradition island escape. But ever since they talked Calder into writing that nearly $50 million check for Squadron marketing, they’ve all but vanished.

This is good for Star Citizen.

:lol: :eonwe:

What a load of FUD. Chris is busy coding the physics. He works 12+ hours a day on it. No, 16+. No, 20+. He's a beast, and he's doing all of that AND managing a company of 500+. That's a genius for you. That's why he doesn't have time to appear on these shows anymore.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol the entire interior is rendered even if you're flying another ship on the outside. They expect this to be an MMO how?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

wonder how much this cost?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cyberpunk eating Robber's lunch again - the BTS video of the cinematic trailer shows they're better than him at mocap too: https://youtu.be/cgFvZmfjTYc

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Cyberpunk eating Robber's lunch again - the BTS video of the cinematic trailer shows they're better than him at mocap too: https://youtu.be/cgFvZmfjTYc

CitizenCon will fix that *waveshand

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

but they dont have a giant worm do they!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They're better at mocap, they're better at modeling, they're better at post-processing... but most importantly, they are better at directing, even with the trailer being full of cliches it's packed and leaves you full of excitement and expectations, while having zero external narration. Show, don't tell.

CRoberts is a bad director and this shows it again, you can see the director explaining the actors exactly what he wants and it helps immensely.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen is the game development version of that episode.

Or the increasingly poor decisions of Chris Roberts.

No, we’ve been quite insistent on the start year being 2012, and development working being seven years.

We just point out that it’s going to be a decade if they ever finish it.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

lol Grath weighing in on SC

you thought DS was entertaining

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

he's an "Ex-Eve Online" player 'cause he got ran out of town by the real Eve players lolz. I've seen the SC supporters they're all failed eve carebears. No there is 100% no fear that SC will take any players from Eve Online

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Nevermind the contrails I am the wingtip vortices in vacuum!
best drat space sim ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

Wonder what the FPS was like.

That's actually a video, not a screenshot.