Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

Brb peeling the skin off my own face to see if it looks rad

You know it will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Regy Rusty posted:

So Heartman's Soul is on the beach but Amelie's Body is on the beach. I wonder how that all works

Amelie seemed to imply Sam was similar to her too. Maybe his Heart is on the beach?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Frayed strands.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is everyone watching the gameplay trailer? I feel like I shouldn't but also that I want to. It will probably ruin some enjoyment for me when I actually play it but OTOH I'll probably hear all about it later. Kojima posted not to watch it, but he's still doing the trailer so I'm not really sure. I suppose it's hard to turn down free marketing for your new game.

Also from the beginning there's been a "I don't understand it!" marketing strategy. He got mads and I think reedus to say it. Now his assistant is saying it. Now some article is claiming Kojima doesn't understand the game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

redreader posted:

Is everyone watching the gameplay trailer? I feel like I shouldn't but also that I want to. It will probably ruin some enjoyment for me when I actually play it but OTOH I'll probably hear all about it later. Kojima posted not to watch it, but he's still doing the trailer so I'm not really sure. I suppose it's hard to turn down free marketing for your new game.

Also from the beginning there's been a "I don't understand it!" marketing strategy. He got mads and I think reedus to say it. Now his assistant is saying it. Now some article is claiming Kojima doesn't understand the game.

Im not gonna ever sincde I found out from your post that Kojima doesnt want me to.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

People saying gameplay starts in ~10 min. Will probably be all in japanese with no subs.

https://www.twitch.tv/playstationjapan

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

TheMostFrench posted:

People saying gameplay starts in ~10 min. Will probably be all in japanese with no subs.

https://www.twitch.tv/playstationjapan

Also Youtube version here for anyone that has a preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymZ6AAybMM

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok I'm watching it. Lol at that ridiculous load of stuff. He's running carrying 120kg. I'm worried this may not run so well on my OG ps4. Apparently the Japanese word for stamina is 'stamina'.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 12, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

In John Cleese' voice: "tis is a silly a game...I want to play it"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

So far (Visual interpretation since I don't speak japanese) it looks like a social media wilderness journey. You travel across the country alone but are connected to people:

- Looks like it's built on MGSV with similar UI, and the look of character movement.

- Carried cargo affects balance and stamina, an imbalanced walk might cause you to fall or trip more easily, and possibly drop stuff. You can adjust how things are carried i.e sides/front/back, in a container or hanging loose.

- Went walking through a river, got too deep and a life vest automatically deployed, dropping some cargo. Sam was carried downstream and the player had to paddle him to the edge.

- Equipment wears out (boots had a durability meter on screen, but not clear about what happens if you don't replace them), there is also power/battery management. Some areas of the world are on-grid and you don't use battery here.

- Can use equipment other people have placed (ladders, ropes, etc) and can give it likes/upvotes if it was useful. Same for notices about the environment. It made me think of Journey on PS3, where you would connect to one or two other people playing, but you might become disconnected if you travel too far from them. Otherwise there would probably just be stacks of random ladders everywhere. I fully expect people will try to do something like draw pepe with ladders and give directions on land for where to view it from.

- Other players will hear you calling out in some capacity. (The "Can anybody hear me" stuff in some trailers).

- Sleeping in the wilderness might leave a pair of boots behind for someone to use?

- Seems like interaction with other players is linked to the chiral network, which is extended as you find more colonies. There is a clear boundary mark where you become disconnected from other players in the world.

- Need to keep the baby happy to some extent, the baby responds to things you do and gives you likes. You can sing it a song, play harmonica, and let it paddle around in a hot spring while you bathe (it stayed inside the container). At this point Sam was singing to the baby, and it seemed like another player was nearby also singing, and they kind of sang to each other then someone gave Sam a like.

- There is a spray can (Twitch chat said it was 'repair spray') Sam was spraying some lost cargo and could also point the spray can over his shoulder and spray behind him while running forwards.

- There are rest stations in the wilderness that play music and restore some equipment like first aid kits and battery power.

- Floating upgrade to the backpack/skeleton that lets you carry so much. You can leash it to yourself and it hovers behind you carrying more stuff.

- You can use the hovering cargo carrier as a hoverboard to skate around on! Cargo had to be removed first.

edit: Just getting into some combat now.

- Sam snuck up on someone in an encampment, choked them out and tied him up, then got spotted and chased around. He shot at enemies with a bolas gun which tripped them over and tangled them up. Was able to throw carried cargo at people. Chased after a guy in a truck and was able to pull him out while it was moving and take control. The javelin things people throw appear to shock/stun you, one hit the truck and forced Sam to bail out. He jumped over a small gap This bit looked really weird to me, like Sam had a really long distance jump which shot him forward really quickly, compared to how he moves and runs so far.

- Footage cut to a ruined city with BT's. You can shoot BT's, bolas gun ties them up briefly. There was a button prompt to hold breath and it seemed like there was a holographic safe path (there were red X's on the ground in some areas and blue dots in others).

- There was a button prompt to shake off BT's who grab you, and it seems like once enough get on you there is no escape.

- BT's drag you into another world which is very oily and wet, collapsed buildings seemed to be bobbing around, but Sam could wade through it about waist deep. There was the lion style boss seen in previous footage, I think they called it The Hunter. It seemed to take a lot of work to defeat. Sam used grenades, and some kind of paint gun which stained the boss white. Followed up by shooting the painted area with a railgun style weapon which seemed to do big damage. Sam called out for assistance, and a white coloured ghost person rose out of the oil and was throwing gear to him.

- The baby gave 100 likes for beating the boss. When defeated, it faded away and dissolved, then the world went back to its 'normal' appearance. I guess the Hunter will appear again. I speculate that fighting the boss might be expensive and difficult, but could remove the BT presence in an area, making it safe next time you pass through.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 12, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This looks so loving great

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Ok there's so much going on right now I can't keep up with but yeah it looks great.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So if RDR2 was a cowboy simulator, this is basically a hardcore cargo delivery simulator....paired with some ideas from the Soulsborne multiplayer system (and improved upon). I like that, as it's actually something new that hasn't been tried before.

Visually it looks really good, and I assume as soon as the story kicks in plus the whole "void out" stuff with the other...realm or whatever...this might be really, really good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So you can choose wether to pee standing or sitting

Imagine putting that job on the kanban board for the developers and the mocap guys

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The chat says there's a Demo available on the japanese PS store.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/tamoorh/status/1172047597638275072

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I figured the office would be pretty deserted right now so I visited Kojima Productions' Tokyo HQ. It's pretty neat, there's a cool statue of Homo Ludens and no real security.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They briefly showed the world map and it was the entire USA...

EDIT: Looks like stuff players leave behind has a like system, kinda like Dark Souls messages? I guess the more liked something is the longer it'll stick around ingame or something?
EDIT2: I think the gameplay is going to be very divisive.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 12, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant stop laughing at die-hardman and norman reedus in a wetsuit being in the oval office

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheMostFrench posted:

So far (Visual interpretation since I don't speak japanese) it looks like a social media wilderness journey. You travel across the country alone but are connected to people:

- Looks like it's built on MGSV with similar UI, and the look of character movement.

- Carried cargo affects balance and stamina, an imbalanced walk might cause you to fall or trip more easily, and possibly drop stuff. You can adjust how things are carried i.e sides/front/back, in a container or hanging loose.

- Went walking through a river, got too deep and a life vest automatically deployed, dropping some cargo. Sam was carried downstream and the player had to paddle him to the edge.

- Equipment wears out (boots had a durability meter on screen, but not clear about what happens if you don't replace them), there is also power/battery management. Some areas of the world are on-grid and you don't use battery here.

- Can use equipment other people have placed (ladders, ropes, etc) and can give it likes/upvotes if it was useful. Same for notices about the environment. It made me think of Journey on PS3, where you would connect to one or two other people playing, but you might become disconnected if you travel too far from them. Otherwise there would probably just be stacks of random ladders everywhere. I fully expect people will try to do something like draw pepe with ladders and give directions on land for where to view it from.

- Other players will hear you calling out in some capacity. (The "Can anybody hear me" stuff in some trailers).

- Sleeping in the wilderness might leave a pair of boots behind for someone to use?

- Seems like interaction with other players is linked to the chiral network, which is extended as you find more colonies. There is a clear boundary mark where you become disconnected from other players in the world.

- Need to keep the baby happy to some extent, the baby responds to things you do and gives you likes. You can sing it a song, play harmonica, and let it paddle around in a hot spring while you bathe (it stayed inside the container). At this point Sam was singing to the baby, and it seemed like another player was nearby also singing, and they kind of sang to each other then someone gave Sam a like.

- There is a spray can (Twitch chat said it was 'repair spray') Sam was spraying some lost cargo and could also point the spray can over his shoulder and spray behind him while running forwards.

- There are rest stations in the wilderness that play music and restore some equipment like first aid kits and battery power.

- Floating upgrade to the backpack/skeleton that lets you carry so much. You can leash it to yourself and it hovers behind you carrying more stuff.

- You can use the hovering cargo carrier as a hoverboard to skate around on! Cargo had to be removed first.

edit: Just getting into some combat now.

- Sam snuck up on someone in an encampment, choked them out and tied him up, then got spotted and chased around. He shot at enemies with a bolas gun which tripped them over and tangled them up. Was able to throw carried cargo at people. Chased after a guy in a truck and was able to pull him out while it was moving and take control. The javelin things people throw appear to shock/stun you, one hit the truck and forced Sam to bail out. He jumped over a small gap This bit looked really weird to me, like Sam had a really long distance jump which shot him forward really quickly, compared to how he moves and runs so far.

- Footage cut to a ruined city with BT's. You can shoot BT's, bolas gun ties them up briefly. There was a button prompt to hold breath and it seemed like there was a holographic safe path (there were red X's on the ground in some areas and blue dots in others).

- There was a button prompt to shake off BT's who grab you, and it seems like once enough get on you there is no escape.

- BT's drag you into another world which is very oily and wet, collapsed buildings seemed to be bobbing around, but Sam could wade through it about waist deep. There was the lion style boss seen in previous footage, I think they called it The Hunter. It seemed to take a lot of work to defeat. Sam used grenades, and some kind of paint gun which stained the boss white. Followed up by shooting the painted area with a railgun style weapon which seemed to do big damage. Sam called out for assistance, and a white coloured ghost person rose out of the oil and was throwing gear to him.

- The baby gave 100 likes for beating the boss. When defeated, it faded away and dissolved, then the world went back to its 'normal' appearance. I guess the Hunter will appear again. I speculate that fighting the boss might be expensive and difficult, but could remove the BT presence in an area, making it safe next time you pass through.

tuo posted:

So if RDR2 was a cowboy simulator, this is basically a hardcore cargo delivery simulator....paired with some ideas from the Soulsborne multiplayer system (and improved upon).

Kojima: UNLEASHED is the best Kojima.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I like that out of the three big names that left Konami to start their own studios, Kojima's the only one that didn't immediately just rehash what he had spent the last few decades doing. Might No. 9 was just Megaman and Bloodstained was just Castlevania, but Death Stranding isn't just MGS.

Also watching this game go from concept/reveal teaser to fully playable finished game in 3 and a half years has been a trip itself. Say what you want about Kojima but this dude's got mad project management skills. Makes me think of Anthem in development for 7 loving years and none of the people at the top knew what they wanted it to be almost the entire time.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The amount of stuff he’s carrying is kinda silly sometimes.

I dig the little Tenser Floating DiskSquare. You can even skate board it :getin:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I like that out of the three big names that left Konami to start their own studios, Kojima's the only one that didn't immediately just rehash what he had spent the last few decades doing. Might No. 9 was just Megaman and Bloodstained was just Castlevania, but Death Stranding isn't just MGS.

Also watching this game go from concept/reveal teaser to fully playable finished game in 3 and a half years has been a trip itself. Say what you want about Kojima but this dude's got mad project management skills. Makes me think of Anthem in development for 7 loving years and none of the people at the top knew what they wanted it to be almost the entire time.

yea as much as I love Bloodstained I'm really happy this isn't just "Metal Gear 6: Different Name Edition", Kojima getting to go buck wild without feeling the need to keep his iconic IP alive clearly has resulted in some good poo poo. Like, who else would make 'cargo transport simulator, but also weird goop monsters'?

Also I admit I have been a little behind in keeping up with this stuff, he seemed to be using mainly non-lethal stuff in that bit of combat, even with the hunter he was throwing stun grenades and was built around using an independently existing fuckoff weapon rather than one you carry around. So I guess this is meant to be a more stealthy/less lethal kinda game than, say, MGS 5 where you could just kick doors in firing rifles all day, or is it another multiple playstyle thing and they just happened to be sneak focused because...Kojima game of course they are?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Death loving Stranding, ladies and gentlemen

:golfclap:

I need this

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

sexpig by night posted:

Also I admit I have been a little behind in keeping up with this stuff, he seemed to be using mainly non-lethal stuff in that bit of combat, even with the hunter he was throwing stun grenades and was built around using an independently existing fuckoff weapon rather than one you carry around. So I guess this is meant to be a more stealthy/less lethal kinda game than, say, MGS 5 where you could just kick doors in firing rifles all day, or is it another multiple playstyle thing and they just happened to be sneak focused because...Kojima game of course they are?

I'm guessing it ties into the setting. When you die your soul goes to Hades, but it also causes a gently caress off huge explosion, the Voidout. I'm also guessing that people who die but can't return to their bodies turn into the Beached Things, so the last thing you want to do is kill somebody; you'll screw up the environment and also make that area incredibly hostile.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Counterpoint: Development of MGS5.

I think what is streamlined DS development is that there's no fan service for Kojima to do and no lore he has to worry about.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Souls style asynchronous multiplayer is the best

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think what is streamlined DS development is that there's no fan service for Kojima to do and no lore he has to worry about.

That or working for a not psychotic company.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

TheMostFrench posted:

This bit looked really weird to me, like Sam had a really long distance jump which shot him forward really quickly, compared to how he moves and runs so far.

spoilers because quote is spoilers.

I can't remember the exact words Kojima used, but at one point in the equipment menus he equips a "motor exoskeleton" that attaches to Sam's legs. There are actually two shown in the gameplay demo. The bulging ones he wears while climbing down the mountain appear to stabilize his running so he can quickly traverse the uneven terrain. He later switches to a more streamlined model that light up and seem to account for the reality defying jumps shown in various parts of the trailer. Rocket legs? Hell yes!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

That or working for a not psychotic company.

let's not give sony too much credit

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Look Sir Droids posted:

Counterpoint: Development of MGS5.

One game out of Kojima's entire career had some wonky dev issues exacerbated by the vice president of Konami personally buttfucking the project during it's final year of development. I'd say that's still a good track record.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

One game out of Kojima's entire career had some wonky dev issues exacerbated by the vice president of Konami personally buttfucking the project during it's final year of development. I'd say that's still a good track record.

Didn't Kojima bone the development of MG:R? Everything since MGS3 has arguably had some bloat to it. I don't his development cycles tell us much about his PM skills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant stop laughing at die-hardman and norman reedus in a wetsuit being in the oval office

I unironically love this poo poo. I've gotten so much entertainment out of Kojima using Sony's money to hang out with his celebrity crushes and make a mega-budget game where Die-Hardman calls someone named Amelie "Samantha America Strand" with total seriousness.

This is everything I hoped this dumb game would be and I really hope it can remain this charmingly stupid the whole way through.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Didn't Kojima bone the development of MG:R? Everything since MGS3 has arguably had some bloat to it. I don't his development cycles tell us much about his PM skills.

He didn't have anything really to do with MGR, other than realizing what the team making the original version had done was poo poo, cancelling that and giving the game to Platinum.

E: actually pretty much every MGS game had a roughly 3 year long dev cycle except V. So Death Stranding is about what we should expect from him.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 12, 2019

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm guessing it ties into the setting. When you die your soul goes to Hades, but it also causes a gently caress off huge explosion, the Voidout. I'm also guessing that people who die but can't return to their bodies turn into the Beached Things, so the last thing you want to do is kill somebody; you'll screw up the environment and also make that area incredibly hostile.

And also in the game.

But seriously, at a time when pacifism and mercy is at an all-time low (watching "celebrating the death of your enemies online" become normalized over the past 2 years has been super weird), Kojima is clearly trying to make a loving point here and I'm all for it.

World's going one way and he's going the exact opposite.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This game looks really interesting and might push me to buy a PS4. Ive watched a lot of videos. I can’t figure out one thing. What is with the handcuff?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ It's a health monitor

Kojima has good taste in music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8MLKuc4Rxc

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

was Sam throwing blood grenades at the hunter?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A heath monitor... ok. Why is it a handcuff that you have to recuff the other cuff onto your wrist when you wake up sort of thing? I thought it was some mechanism of being like an indentured servant to Bridges or something but this doesn’t make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There's something else to it as indicated my Amelie but I'm not sure what yet, maybe something connected to other players