Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Panty Saluter posted:

Has anyone actually bought these, and if so how snobby are they about graphic equalizers?

They're snobby, but they're very discrete about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phanatic posted:

They're snobby, but they're very discrete about it.

Watt do you mean? I feel like it would be a function of the frequency that it's mentioned.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I heard their favourite movie is the Fast and the Fouriers.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

I heard their favourite movie is the Fast and the Fouriers.
nice

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Could you kick up the uh, 2c3d3d3?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Odds that it's the world's shittiest EQ vs. the knobs doing nothing at all?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

so it's basically a channel strip from an old rotary DJ mixer but shittier. ....for $88k?

$2250 for this bad boy and it has twice the channels!

*edit:

wait, it's not even adjustable, just an on/off switch? :lol:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

wait, it's not even adjustable, just an on/off switch? :lol:
Listen, peasant, this is not EQ. It's articulation control that couples acoustic energy into the body of the listener.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It imparts pure sub-audible nuance into the soundstage.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The thing that's funny about stuff like this to me is I bet the guys [let's be honest, it's basically all dudes] who build all these ridiculous Rube-Goldberg-ian audio products must believe they work to some degree, like someone spent a full year of their life with a spectrum analyzer and a soldering iron designing all this stupid bullshit and he's actually proud of his work.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

repiv posted:

Could you kick up the uh, 2c3d3d3?

Add sequence: VISCERAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGE-w3wjEE

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

qirex posted:

The thing that's funny about stuff like this to me is I bet the guys [let's be honest, it's basically all dudes] who build all these ridiculous Rube-Goldberg-ian audio products must believe they work to some degree, like someone spent a full year of their life with a spectrum analyzer and a soldering iron designing all this stupid bullshit and he's actually proud of his work.

Uh... I'm willing to bet they absolutely know that they're fleecing gullible imbeciles.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

D1E posted:

Uh... I'm willing to bet they absolutely know that they're fleecing gullible imbeciles.

The VPI Magic brick, the Blackbody, the box of rocks as a phono ground, sure. But if companies like MIT or Nordost were just fleecing people it wouldn't take them so long to come out with new products plus you'd think somebody would break cover once in a while. I'm sure that crazy speaker wire attenuation system I posted actually took years to make. Even if he is just a scammer he had to make deals with machine shops and designers to make the cases, etc. In fact it's probably super challenging to make something that complicated that doesn't just ruin the signal.

I think the scale goes hobbyist tinkerer to true believer small manufacturer to scam artist [once the true believer starts making real money] then back to true believer at the very tip top of the market.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 10, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
All audiophile woo is hardly an engineering challenge to the vast pool of Chinese turnkey/build-to-order vendors that I'm more perplexed by the relative lack of it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I had my speakers backwards all these years. :doh:

I had to reference the manual for a sanity check, (which wires are positive and negative), and reading further along, I realized I misread the sentence describing the front and back.

System sounds noticeably better now because I fixed a DSP issue between the TV and receiver, and recalibrated my levels. They are planar speakers, so aside from occasional interference, I didn't notice before.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The bigger issue is the tile floor. Also, the way your TV and speakers are angled makes it look like they fold over the fireplace like a transformer for smaller packaging and now I'm upset that they don't.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

KillHour posted:

The bigger issue is the tile floor. Also, the way your TV and speakers are angled makes it look like they fold over the fireplace like a transformer for smaller packaging and now I'm upset that they don't.

You don't know that for sure. Keep your opinions to yourself and let the rest of us live in the world that we want to.

qirex posted:

In fact it's probably super challenging to make something that complicated that doesn't just ruin the signal.

You're assuming that most audiophile gear doesn't just ruin the signal and/or that it's actually complicated and not just a super basic DSP with some knobs set to do something really minor. I'll also guess that pretty much all the parts were readily available and did not require any expensive custom design.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KillHour posted:

The bigger issue is the tile floor.

We need to work out flooring tiers, as tile is all good. It’s only the carpeteers that should be shamed.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

EL BROMANCE posted:

We need to work out flooring tiers, as tile is all good. It’s only the carpeteers that should be shamed.

Ceramic tile is garbage, and not just for acoustics.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

XBenedict posted:

Ceramic tile is garbage, and not just for acoustics.

Truth, but I don't mind it for cooling and cleaning being a desert dweller with two dogs.

I have a rug taking up most of the living room though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and my dog has been on a steroid for the last 2 weeks so daily accidents. Thank god for my tile!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

You're assuming that most audiophile gear doesn't just ruin the signal and/or that it's actually complicated and not just a super basic DSP with some knobs set to do something really minor. I'll also guess that pretty much all the parts were readily available and did not require any expensive custom design.
There's no DSP in that, the $80,000 speaker cable segment of the market doesn't believe in nasty digital computer chips or active correction. It's not even powered.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm catching up with comic strip megathread and this reminded me of this thread

(other than real audiophiles scoffing at measurements)

Edit: another one

ssb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 26, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dude should eat like 6 packets of those.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yikes dude

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I mean imagining paracetamol tablets affect sound quality is silly but I don't think wishing an overdose on the guy is a proportional reaction

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That's clearly a joke post.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

grack posted:

That's clearly a joke post.

Isn’t the real joke that you can no longer tell whether or not that is a joke?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hyperbole. Apologies if it was taken poorly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone else remember (or has it already been posted in this thread) the guy on AVS that was taking ERS paper and wrapping it around toilet paper tubes and then running his cables through it? And then IIRC started opening his amp and receiver up and just wrapping ERS paper around everything possible? I saw this thread and it reminded me of that and I hadn't thought about it in 10 years. I'm pretty sure it was a performance art piece rather than a true believer or someone that was just mentally ill but the dude went to some pretty amazing lengths in taking photos for his posts so actually maybe it was both performance art and mental illness. Some googling turned up the thread that I think I'm recalling, but all the images are gone.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/881010-building-my-3rd-audio-system-pics.html

quote:

Baking with ERS Paper

Since I removed all the ERS Paper I had a lot of small pieces of ERS Paper, I didn't know what to do with them, so I made a Valhalla with toilet paper rolls in 3 layers. The live and neutral signals are inside their own tubes, Tara Labs style.

I didn't think it would take so long to make, minutes turned into hours, hours turned into days. After 12 hours I already started hallucinating, it felt like someone was in my room looking at me. I didn't want to spend the time drinking water because I wanted to finish the cable. I didn't want any toilet breaks either. After a while my vision started getting blurry but since I'm no quitter, I just kept on going to the end. At one point it felt like I was baking rollcake.

It was the first and probably the last time I ever make a cable with 3 layers of ERS. The ERS Paper around my 1m Valhalla power cord costs almost a grand.

I used a dozen toilet paper rolls, cotton thread, packing tape, packing foam, dozens of sheets of ERS Paper.
All the layers of ERS Paper are separated with 1cm, because less than 1cm makes it sound muddy.

Listening

I have a 1m Valhalla plugged into the wall that has a single layer of ERS with 2-3 layers around the connectors. I switched to my newly baked triple layer Valhalla with nude connectors. It sounded a little smoother but the difference was very small. I switched back and forth and eventually didn't hear a difference.

Then it was time to compare a nude Valhalla vs my triple layer one. I had nude conductors hardwired into the Toroidal transformer of my DAC1 and the other end was plugged into Premier Power Plant. I replaced it with the triple layer Valhalla and the difference was HUGE. The whole openness flavor had shifted into blackness with more low-level detail, it is scary with new sounds all over the place. Based on previous experiments, the improvements with ERS Paper are cumulative. The more you wrap, the bigger the improvements. After the full system is wrapped and you have a tiny gap somewhere, it is audible.

Next I'm going to wrap my amp.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every later Better Call Saul scene with chuck made me think of audiophiles.

No electricity. Full EM 'shielding'.
Imagine how crisp the sound-stage presence is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khablam posted:

No electricity. Full EM 'shielding'.

EM 'shielding' is just materials that are easy to wipe down.

:nws: EM

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was loving around with my PA last night as I'm throwing a party soon and it'll be rolled out for the occasion. My DCX2496 has always behaved a little oddly in that I could never get the input summing to work properly for the sub feeds. I resorted to a youtube video and after faffing around with it and trying the method THREE TIMES it eventually clicked and worked. So now instead of the sub channels being fed from one half of the input, it's now summed from both. It's me, the audiophile tweaker.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Had to look up what ERS paper was and found a vein of crazy from 2003:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1103/stillpointsers.htm

The stillpoint company is still in business:
http://www.stillpoints.us/

Patented design! Made in the USA!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

There was a significant improvement in clarity every time I placed a component on the Stillpoints. My jaw did not "drop", as I have experienced similar results before with the two Symposium Acoustics Rollerblocks. But "clearly", the Stillpoints are in the same league of excellence. The improvement seemed to be the equivalent of a major component upgrade, whether the Stillpoints were placed under my $300 tuner, or my $6,000 pre-amplifier. Nothing seemed immune to the beneficial effect of the Stillpoints, no matter what the priced point.
It's magic! [but I must clarify not quite as magic as something that costs much more]

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
No idea where to post this question so I'm trying here. I've got a FiiO E10 DAC that has served me faithfully over the years, recently the headphone jack has been failing on me with sound cutting out/dropping depending on how I jiggle the cable.
I'm assuming the jack needs to be replaced and this might be the right part but shipping to Germany is insane so I'm wondering if anyone would know where I can source that part for a better price.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was loving around with my PA last night as I'm throwing a party soon and it'll be rolled out for the occasion. My DCX2496 has always behaved a little oddly in that I could never get the input summing to work properly for the sub feeds. I resorted to a youtube video and after faffing around with it and trying the method THREE TIMES it eventually clicked and worked. So now instead of the sub channels being fed from one half of the input, it's now summed from both. It's me, the audiophile tweaker.

Sounds like you need some audiophile upgrades for that badboy:

https://www.amb.org/audio/kappadcx/

https://www.behringermods.com/dcx2496.html

All jokes aside, this is made by a friend of mine and adds a wireless remote control option:

https://github.com/lasselukkari/SerialChiller

https://github.com/lasselukkari/DuinoDCX

Here’s a demo of the web interface:
http://duinodcx.herokuapp.com/

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ashex posted:

No idea where to post this question so I'm trying here. I've got a FiiO E10 DAC that has served me faithfully over the years, recently the headphone jack has been failing on me with sound cutting out/dropping depending on how I jiggle the cable.
I'm assuming the jack needs to be replaced and this might be the right part but shipping to Germany is insane so I'm wondering if anyone would know where I can source that part for a better price.

Go Here unless you want to get ridiculed for your choices in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Weirdest thing happened to me in real life:

I'm sick with yet another cold brought home from daycare. I go get soup for lunch, because soup makes things better. On a lark, I look at RME's crazy gear because the crazy guys on ASR measured them. (Worry not, I am not spending $1K on a DAC when my ODAC is just fine).

Some guy starts asking me about it and then claims it's "low-end gear", that tubes are better and if that RME stuff was really high end why it'd be priced like $200K audio jewelry.

WHILE I'M HAVING SOUP.