Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Early computer RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima had completely random sci-fi elements thrown in for no reason too. Hell I think dungeons and dragons was doing that back in the 70s. Nerds love to cram parts of their nerdiness together wherever possible

Yeah, I think I need to get more specific about what I meant. Final Fantasy has robots and factories alongside magic, but earlier games weren't shy about straight up throwing your fantasy characters into a space opera. The overarching plot of Might & Magic is about aliens colonizing worlds (and two of the later games end with you getting ray guns then invading an alien hive colony/a derelict space ship, respectively), Ultima featured an outer space dogfight with the big bad in one of the earlier games and the later Wizardries are about chasing an evil space man and feature two galactic empires as neutral factions.

poo poo was bonkers, and I kind of miss that absolute silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

Probably Expedition to Barrier Peak?

Barrier Peaks is indeed the one.

The last Final Fantasy had the party driving around in a goddamn Audi, iirc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing I hate about the FF1 remakes is that changed the Flying Fortress to a floating castle in the sky instead of the space station it was in the NES/MSX versions

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I'm an idiot that has watched the other starship troopers films and those make it more explicit that the politicians are chosen by a singular party apparatus and have to be citizens and win by giant North Korea style margins.

Well then I’m wrong, but I didn’t watch the other Starship Trooper’s movies so I still come out ahead.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tiggum posted:

The thing is though, there's no way to verify anything that Q says about himself. It might not even be the same person showing up each time. Or the other Qs might also be him. The conflict we see between Q and the other Qs could be staged. When he was punished by being turned human, maybe that was just him loving around or testing Picard in some way or whatever. The scope of his abilities make it impossible to know if anything is as it seems or is even real. There is no way to draw any meaningful conclusion about Q or the Q continuum other than that some being exists and is more powerful than you can imagine. Its nature and motives are impossible to determine.

Yeah, the Q are supposed to represent a species so powerful as to be somewhat inscrutable, and to show that if living beings had godlike abilities, they wouldn't just magically become benevolent gods for the good of all - more likely, the power would be abused for their whims and whatever arbitrary rules system they've set up to excuse their behavior

just like people, but also not

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At some point Q stops judging humanity and starts just being a fanciful little imp

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pick posted:

At some point Q stops judging humanity and starts just being a fanciful little imp

Nah, it was all a test, the whole thing. Did you never see the finale? Or am I remembering that wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean yes but fanciful little imp

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pick posted:

The Q got fed up with his poo poo so he toned it down. Even so there's a suggestion that the Q will just eradicate any species that turns out to be able to threaten them in any way at all. Or maybe only Q does. Or maybe that was just Q being Q. Who the gently caress knows? There's no way for our puny human minds to actually, properly understand the Q at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tangentially related but if anybody has not heard John Delancie reading The Raven, that shits on YouTube and it owns

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What ever was up with that one old dude who wiped out the entire species who killed his wife and so he made another of her and just set up on that otherwise barren planet being old and living with his lady? Cus that dude was also basically an omnipotent being, yeah?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ReidRansom posted:

What ever was up with that one old dude who wiped out the entire species who killed his wife and so he made another of her and just set up on that otherwise barren planet being old and living with his lady? Cus that dude was also basically an omnipotent being, yeah?

That was an interesting episode. I liked that it wasn't intentional, he just got so mad after trying to suppress his powers that he tetsuo'd out and suddenly that species no longer existed. At all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

He wasn't a Q and also wasn't as powerful as Q. There were limits on what he could accomplish. He was some kind of energy being that could create illusions or something like that. The Husnock rolled in and blew up everything he cared about so he killed all of them. He wasn't full on omnipotent but was still crazy powerful.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But chillax enough that the Q aren't threatened by him and just leave him there, I guess? I was curious if he was retconned as a Q or something, but looks like no.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pick posted:

well wasn't that the thing though? Q was different from his brethren and actually developed attachments to people

He met Jean Luc and decided he liked being an imp much better than being a judgmental time being and spent some time floofing around and got his rear end handed to him by the Q Continuum for daring to be different

I've always read that whole situation as kinda ominous tbh, like if you don't act at the Continuum dictates you'll be erased from existence

The Q never struck me as a benevolent species whatsoever, and it would seem having so much power comes at a social cost

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Sep 11, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Q are only "benevolent" in that they've decided to leave everyone else alone for the most part.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

what kind of benevolent imp shows up naked in your bed anyway

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hard counter posted:

My favorite kind. :heysexy:

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Pick posted:

If JDeL's Q had become just this and nothing more, well, to quote Dana Scully, "Sure. Fine. Whatever."

But its the inconsistency. In "Qpid" and "True Q" he's more impish, but in "Tapestry" he's an imp with a sneer, playing both "is there a John Luck Pickard here?" and "Oh, but this IS what you wanted, Jean-Luc. A second chance."

Then he's malevolent in "All Good Things..." and DS9, mixed in his Voyager appearances, and comically gets his rear end handed to him [physically] by Lwaxana in Q-in-Law and [mentally] by Spock in Spock vs Q.

If he shows up in the new Picard series - and I am so, so,SO hoping he does - I only wonder which variant will be there to torment Jean-Luc.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

Puck from Gargoyles definitely fucks

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Naked Man Punch posted:

If JDeL's Q had become just this and nothing more, well, to quote Dana Scully, "Sure. Fine. Whatever."

But its the inconsistency. In "Qpid" and "True Q" he's more impish, but in "Tapestry" he's an imp with a sneer, playing both "is there a John Luck Pickard here?" and "Oh, but this IS what you wanted, Jean-Luc. A second chance."

Then he's malevolent in "All Good Things..." and DS9, mixed in his Voyager appearances, and comically gets his rear end handed to him [physically] by Lwaxana in Q-in-Law and [mentally] by Spock in Spock vs Q.

If he shows up in the new Picard series - and I am so, so,SO hoping he does - I only wonder which variant will be there to torment Jean-Luc.

In Tapestry he's doing Picard a huge favour, and I think he actually saved Humanity and a bunch of other stuff by helping him in All Good Things.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I like that Commander Riker, Tasha Yar, Q, (and I think I’m missing one?) all showed up as voice actors in XCOM 2.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I liked when Worf showed up in Saint's Row 2 and tried to kill me with a monster truck.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like that Commander Riker, Tasha Yar, Q, (and I think I’m missing one?) all showed up as voice actors in XCOM 2.

I got into Gargoyles back in the day because it had most of the TNG cast in it for some reason.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't know if the Jared episode of South Park aged well. The joke about giving kids aides is interesting now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

I got into Gargoyles back in the day because it had most of the TNG cast in it for some reason.

If anything, they better cast in gargoyles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Troy was there too. She's the reaper leader.

In fact all three of the human factions are led by a TNG actor which is hilarious.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mokinokaro posted:

Troy was there too. She's the reaper leader.

In fact all three of the human factions are led by a TNG actor which is hilarious.

It owned hard when I played it and like every single new character I met was voiced by someone from TNG, just perfect fanservive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And Worf of course gets his rear end kicked by the end of his introductory mission. Though the turncoat aliens are an odd mix of Klingons, Jem'Hadar and Batman.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin posted:

Worf, Counselor Troy, and Lt. Barclay FFS, and they're all the expansion, War of the Chosen

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I don't know if the Jared episode of South Park aged well. The joke about giving kids aides is interesting now.

He shows up as a boss in the second South Park rpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPFaSCK_y0&t=41s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Worf of course gets his rear end kicked by the end of his introductory mission. Though the turncoat aliens are an odd mix of Klingons, Jem'Hadar and Batman.

"I did....nothing!" - Worf the Skirmisher

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Worf, Counselor Troy, and Lt. Barclay FFS, and they're all the expansion, War of the Chosen

Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) and John DeLancie (Q) are also in.

Also apparently Dwight Schultz (Barclay) only voices a random soldier? Wtf.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, if they brought on Patrick Stewart they would’ve been close to having the entire bridge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin posted:

Christ, if they brought on Patrick Stewart they would’ve been close to having the entire bridge.

Apparently due to time constraints there was a plan for a 4th Chosen (heavy gunner) and Resistance faction (androids) that got scrapped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Apparently due to time constraints there was a plan for a 4th Chosen (heavy gunner) and Resistance faction (androids) that got scrapped.

The androids would have been a neat nod to Apocalypse.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
A commercial for Friends reminded me of a time when big name actors would guest star on sitcoms and it wouldn't be considered slumming it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gaunab posted:

A commercial for Friends reminded me of a time when big name actors would guest star on sitcoms and it wouldn't be considered slumming it.

Might be apocryphal, but I recall hearing that the reason Bruce Willis appeared on Friends was because he lost a bet to Matthew Perry wherein Bruce bet against his own movie doing well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

Might be apocryphal, but I recall hearing that the reason Bruce Willis appeared on Friends was because he lost a bet to Matthew Perry wherein Bruce bet against his own movie doing well.

To be fair it was a Matthew Perry movie that just happened to have Bruce Willis in it. If I was Bruce, I’d have bet against it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
By Kevin Smith's account, Willis harbors no illusions about the kind of films he works on.

And unlike Cage, who will genuinely give a performance, seems that Bruce just checks out if it's a cashgrab.